Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boo_lady

Reaction score
Chanced upon this thread and would like to share mine and get some opinions.

Yesterday wee morning I received a sms from this number 85351319. It is those usual money lenders' sms. I was feeling kinda down recently and the amounts and monthly payback kinda drew my attention on it. As I still on bank loans, I was looking at the 30k ($920 x 36 months). It stated that only contact the person by WhatsApp and ya, that's no ways to reply back in sms.

So just now at night, I decided to whatsapp him. I just wanna clear my loans once and for all at that point of what I thought. I will cut it short for the convo we had. I asked him how he got my number. He replied his company gave him those Singaporean numbers to call (suspect that he is a Malaysian and he sounded like one). His company is ssg credit (I tried to google but no such company). He asked for my details like my occupation, salary, IRAS etc. As I'm a freelancer in my work, I told him about that and that's no way I can prove to him of my income as my pay mostly in cash. So he asked for my IC and singpass. I did provide him. I didn't think too much as I did borrow from money lenders few years back ago and it pretty normal. After that, he asked for my home number, office number, my next of kin number and account number. I didn't provided him home and office numbers. I just told him I didn't have it. He asked for 2 of my kins numbers. I gave him false numbers lol. Then, he requested me to do video call for verification. I agreed and he called. I thought I would expect to see him but it a black screen. I guess he covered up the screen with something. He asked me to show my IC and placed it next to my face. Actually I was abit reluctant to do that but well, already on video call, just did it. He told me he will get back to me later in the noon. I msg him asking so will it have the chance to approve. He replied yes sure. They are agents and they require these documents for their company. He said will get back to me. We bid each other goodnight and that's it.

After my shower, I don't know why I was thinking about the whole situation. I did borrow from money lenders as I mentioned and so far so good. They borrowed the amount I wanted and I paid on time. No drama at all. This time, when I thought about it, are the whole thing for real? $920 x 36 months = $33,120. Which means, they only earn $3120 for 36 months for interest. Hmmmm, sure or not? Correct me if I'm wrong. The last time I borrowed 1k,I had to pay $250 x 5 weeks already. So I started to google about any stories of such money lenders til I found this thread. To be honest, I kinda worry. They haven't transferred any money yet and I did msg the guy informing him don't do anything yet til I confirm. If they are like my previous money lenders, I still won't be that worried as they were quite steady. 36 months are quite long way to go. Anything will happen in between too. What should I do now then? If I reject, will they do anything funny?

LilladyJ

Reaction score

Yesterday wee morning I received a sms from this number 85351319. It is those usual money lenders' sms. I was feeling kinda down recently and the amounts and monthly payback kinda drew my attention on it. As I still on bank loans, I was looking at the 30k ($920 x 36 months). It stated that only contact the person by WhatsApp and ya, that's no ways to reply back in sms.

So just now at night, I decided to whatsapp him. I just wanna clear my loans once and for all at that point of what I thought. I will cut it short for the convo we had. I asked him how he got my number. He replied his company gave him those Singaporean numbers to call (suspect that he is a Malaysian and he sounded like one). His company is ssg credit (I tried to google but no such company). He asked for my details like my occupation, salary, IRAS etc. As I'm a freelancer in my work, I told him about that and that's no way I can prove to him of my income as my pay mostly in cash. So he asked for my IC and singpass. I did provide him. I didn't think too much as I did borrow from money lenders few years back ago and it pretty normal. After that, he asked for my home number, office number, my next of kin number and account number. I didn't provided him home and office numbers. I just told him I didn't have it. He asked for 2 of my kins numbers. I gave him false numbers lol. Then, he requested me to do video call for verification. I agreed and he called. I thought I would expect to see him but it a black screen. I guess he covered up the screen with something. He asked me to show my IC and placed it next to my face. Actually I was abit reluctant to do that but well, already on video call, just did it. He told me he will get back to me later in the noon. I msg him asking so will it have the chance to approve. He replied yes sure. They are agents and they require these documents for their company. He said will get back to me. We bid each other goodnight and that's it.

After my shower, I don't know why I was thinking about the whole situation. I did borrow from money lenders as I mentioned and so far so good. They borrowed the amount I wanted and I paid on time. No drama at all. This time, when I thought about it, are the whole thing for real? $920 x 36 months = $33,120. Which means, they only earn $3120 for 36 months for interest. Hmmmm, sure or not? Correct me if I'm wrong. The last time I borrowed 1k,I had to pay $250 x 5 weeks already. So I started to google about any stories of such money lenders til I found this thread. To be honest, I kinda worry. They haven't transferred any money yet and I did msg the guy informing him don't do anything yet til I confirm. If they are like my previous money lenders, I still won't be that worried as they were quite steady. 36 months are quite long way to go. Anything will happen in between too. What should I do now then? If I reject, will they do anything funny?

My suggestion is don’t fall for the trap. Same thing happened to me with smaller amount. Started as phone installment but they gave me cash. Don’t let them transfer any money to your account. If you can closed the account immediately so they cannot transfer.

LilladyJ

Reaction score
Boo_Lady , they might do something afterwards but probably won’t last Long since you nevet received their money. Close the account ASAP if you can.

Ma1983

Reaction score
What did they say to you over the phone? This idiots are very cunning uh. So creative coming up with new ways to harass people. Haish.

They ask to pay. Then they say want to come down out hse. We tell him go ahead police oso waiting for you. Then dey just hangbup

Fear Less

Reaction score
Let them do what they want la.
Tell them you did dance show in video need to be paid instead of you paying their ridiculous claim later. Say my strip show will cost more.
Cut all comms with them.

And sleep well.

Boo_lady

Reaction score
Hi there, well, I just created another account and transfer whatever I have in my current account to new account before I close it. I sent him a msg telling him don't do any transactions first as my account was hacked and under investigation and making police report too (just anyhow hantam story la). I will still play along and see what he up to. I really curious will he flips his words on the monthly thingy.

Reaction score

A bit much detail you putting here, might like to censor some.
Did you give bank account? If not, should be ok. If you did, this is a loan scam. Pls DO NOT pay them and refer to info at this link.

All the info you need are here. PM if clueless.

FIGHT LOAN SCAMS - http://bit.ly/fightloanscams

Boo_lady

Reaction score
A bit much detail you putting here, might like to censor some.
Did you give bank account? If not, should be ok. If you did, this is a loan scam. Pls DO NOT pay them and refer to info at this link.

All the info you need are here. PM if clueless.

Hi there, thanks for your link and advise.

I stated some clear details to alert people here who are like me, received the same msg from the same number. I just closed my account after creating new account. So they can't do anything now.

Makminah

Reaction score

Hi sis. Make a report ASAP even though no transaction was made. Block all their numbers and dont make any contacts. Even if they didn't transfer you any amount, they might ask money from you. Happened to me and I paid them close to $6k. So dont be stupid like me and ignore them. Move along and stay strong.

delceer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Under the Moneylenders Act (Revised Edition 2010), any person who is guilty of providing false contact information to obtain loans from loansharks shall be liable to a jail term of not more than 12 months. Under the National Registration Act, any person who is found guilty of failing to report a change in address shall be liable to a fine not exceeding $5000 or a jail term not exceeding five years, or to both.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/debtor-arrested-for-providing-false-address-to-loansharks

delceer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Gave loan shark false number is no joke.
It will cause undue distress to innocent parties.

green72

Reaction score

Yes, even with loansharks, you cannot provide false information by law.
As delceer points out, innocent people would be harassed for nothing and causing unnecessary extra investigation work for SPF. That's why such law exists.

LilladyJ

Reaction score
i made my second police report today. i have saved all the messages they sent me. gathered all the numbers they have used to contact me and even sent the pictures on their profiles on whatsapp. i have called the CCTV company and we are working out to set up the CCTV after we receive approval from town council. having support from the people around me is giving me strength. it may not be over yet but i try to be strong everyday. living as a foreigner here in Singapore is challenging but we are human and we make mistakes sometimes. i realized that i fell into the trap because i was quite anxious the past weeks because of my personal issues. lesson learned is to not be hasty when making decisions involving money and consult someone first before you make any decisions.

Kennaacam

Reaction score
At the end of the day, we all want our peaceful life back. It’s not the end of the world that we got scammed but I agree the support you get around you is very important and that really pushes out all my fear from me. I got a scolding from my NOK for been naive and not consulting them earlier. It’s most important to come clean with our closed ones and company and once you have them at your side supporting you, we can face it with courage and dun let the fear cloud us.

Boo_lady

Reaction score

Yes, even with loansharks, you cannot provide false information by law.
As delceer points out, innocent people would be harassed for nothing and causing unnecessary extra investigation work for SPF. That's why such law exists.

I didn't advise them local numbers for my next kins. I gave him overseas US numbers. I have a friend who does 'pian' (not money lender) and he did told me there are some sites that 'sell' overseas numbers. He helped me find 2 numbers. Those are temporary numbers. The guy didn't questioned anything when I said both my folks work in overseas (just an excuse) hence their contacts are overseas type. He believed it. So don't worry that I involved any innocent parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.