Japan Trip March-April

3xp3rti3

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i have been reading and following this japan section and have planned for my previous trip with my then GF in 2011. I am not so sure what has changed but i have a few questions to ask as i be going with my older folks and 2 young kids as well.

1) i be staying near Asakusa (Tokyo Tobu Levant Hotel). Will not be getting the JR pass, so in general SUICA card is usable for most train lines right? do children below 2 need to pay for the rides as well?

2) i need to take the shinkansen to Osaka for my 2nd half of my trip and i am seeing that KLook does sell tickets (one way) from Tokyo to Osaka. Safe to buy (cos need to redeem the voucher and secure the seats) or head down to the station after i arrive in Narita to buy so can just confirm everything at one go?

3) what are the places that kids love? like have some activities for them? i remember last time there was this toy store near Ginza if i am not wrong. (we just walked around and stumbled on a few storey toy dept store)

4) As i be going during the sakura season, want to bring my folks to see the blooms... any other recommended places besides UENO park in Tokyo? and any places in Osaka that i can go to as well?

much appreciated for any inputs to the above.

3xp3rti3

Reaction score
My rough itinerary....not confirmed but after reading and trying my best to have the structure of my everyday out. Any comments please? Thanks in advance

Day 1
Arrive Narita 1pm
Asakusa
- Nakamise street
- Shin-Nakamise Street
- Sensoji Temple
- Kiminari Gate
Tokyo SkyTree
Sumida Park

Day 2
Meiji Shrine
Harajuku
Takeshita Street & Ura Harajuku
Kiddy Land Harajuku
Yoyogi Park
Shibuya

Day 3
Ueno Park
Ameyoko
Imperial Palace
Chidorigafuchi Park
Ginza

Day 4
Hakone (Mount Fuji)
AM: Lake Ashi, Hakone Shrine, Owakudani
PM: Old Tokaido/ Check point

Day 5
tsukiji fish market
Odaiba
palette town, gundam cafe, legoland

Day 6
Akihabara
Tokyo Meltropolitan Building
Shinjuku
Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden
Walk around Shinjuku area

Day 7
Shinjuku
Tokyo Station/Sunshine City
First Avenue Tokyo Station Underground/ Character Street
Nissin Cup Noodle Museum, Shinyokohama Ramen Museum (maybe) 2. Ekibenya, Tokyo Character Street, Pokemon Store

Day 8
Check out to go Osaka
Shinkansen Bullet Train

Shinsekai
Nipponbashi
Electronic Tow
Dontonburi
Shinsaibashi

Day 9
Kaiyukan Aquarium
Tempozan Marketplace
Osaka Castle

Day 10
Fushimi Inari Shrine
Kiyomizu Dera Temple
Gion
Kawaramachi
Kyoto Tower
Kyoto Isetan

Day 11
Todaiji Temple
Nara Park
Nara National Museum
Kofukuji Temple

Day 12

Home Sweet Home

thwysg

Reaction score
1. Yes for Suica, no need for kids under 2.
2. Can’t help you on that, I’ve never bought such vouchers.
3. That should be Hakuhinkan Toy Park. Lego Discovery Center/ Miraikan at Odaiba, Hakkeijima Sea Paradise in Yokohama, Ueno Zoo; Kids Plaza Osaka, Kidzania Tokyo/ Osaka, Osaka Kaiyukan. teamLab Planets or Edo Tokyo Museum if you’re into such exhibits.
4. Actually lots of them. One is Sumida River, next to Sensoji. Consider other different parks in the city such as Inokashira Park, Meguro River at Naka-Meguro, Shinjuku Gyoen and Yoyogi Koen. Go search through Google or Japan Guide.

fongwk8

Reaction score
1) For the Klook tickets, do you need to redeem the tickets in Japan? If it requires you to redeem the tickets in Japan, then you can check the price on Hyperdia to see if buying from JR directly is cheaper, or Klook is cheaper.

JR East launched a new website recently that allows Shinkansen tickets to be purchased online. You might want to check if they sell the tickets for the Tokkaido Shinkansen (It was under maintenance during the time of writing). https://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shinkansen-reservation/English/wb/common/Menu/Menu.aspx?_ga=2.80884372.285792291.1552922262-975561532.1546048788

2) Yes, SUICA is usable for travelling on trains and buses (I used the same SUICA card that I purchased in Tokyo in Kyoto, Osaka, and Hiroshima), no problems with it.

3) Day 7: I assume that your Nissin Cup Noodle Museum is the Yokohama branch (there's also a branch at Osaka). You might want to visit Cosmo Amusement Park which is located just opposite the Cup Noodle Museum at Yokohama.

4) Day 8: Have you decided what time you'll be arriving at Osaka? Cuz your itinerary for Day 8 seems to be more suitable for the evening. Might want to visit the Osaka Castle if you arrive at Osaka around noon time.

Last edited:

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For the journey to Osaka, just drop by Jr east service center when you arrive to buy the tickets a few days ahead.

3xp3rti3

Reaction score
1) For the Klook tickets, do you need to redeem the tickets in Japan? If it requires you to redeem the tickets in Japan, then you can check the price on Hyperdia to see if buying from JR directly is cheaper, or Klook is cheaper.

JR East launched a new website recently that allows Shinkansen tickets to be purchased online. You might want to check if they sell the tickets for the Tokkaido Shinkansen (It was under maintenance during the time of writing). https://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shinkansen-reservation/English/wb/common/Menu/Menu.aspx?_ga=2.80884372.285792291.1552922262-975561532.1546048788

2) Yes, SUICA is usable for travelling on trains and buses (I used the same SUICA card that I purchased in Tokyo in Kyoto, Osaka, and Hiroshima), no problems with it.

3) Day 7: I assume that your Nissin Cup Noodle Museum is the Yokohama branch (there's also a branch at Osaka). You might want to visit Cosmo Amusement Park which is located just opposite the Cup Noodle Museum at Yokohama.

Yes cup noodle is yokohama branch...

4) Day 8: Have you decided what time you'll be arriving at Osaka? Cuz your itinerary for Day 8 seems to be more suitable for the evening. Might want to visit the Osaka Castle if you arrive at Osaka around noon time.

i will most probably be arriving osaka in the afternoon by shinkansen and will be staying near Namba area

3xp3rti3

Reaction score
For the journey to Osaka, just drop by Jr east service center when you arrive to buy the tickets a few days ahead.

Where can i get them at the service centre? only at shinjuku? or i can buy at narita airport?

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Where can i get them at the service centre? only at shinjuku? or i can buy at narita airport?

I believe you can..There is a JR East Service Center there...

Just standby the train no, which date and hw many tickets..Since one way then just go for Nozomi..

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Make sure you go to the service center at the airport and not the Narita Express ticket counter.

I didn't want to queue with the horde of tourists wanting to exchange their JR pass at the JR service centre when I reached Narita (I merely wanted to buy a NEX ticket + buy shinkansen ticket from Tokyo->kanazawa->kyoto in advance), so I queued at the external ticket counter. Turned out that they only sell NEX ticket and I had to make another visit to Shinjuku JR station service center (my hotel was at Shinjuku) to buy all the required shinkansen tickets. Although that's fine because the shinjuku station service center had no queue when I was there...

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Make sure you go to the service center at the airport and not the Narita Express ticket counter.

I didn't want to queue with the horde of tourists wanting to exchange their JR pass at the JR service centre when I reached Narita (I merely wanted to buy a NEX ticket + buy shinkansen ticket from Tokyo->kanazawa->kyoto in advance), so I queued at the external ticket counter. Turned out that they only sell NEX ticket and I had to make another visit to Shinjuku JR station service center (my hotel was at Shinjuku) to buy all the required shinkansen tickets. Although that's fine because the shinjuku station service center had no queue when I was there...

True this..airport one usually crowded..I went Shinjuku one during my last trip and Bo lang one..

3xp3rti3

Reaction score

Thanks looks like i need to get the tickets when i am at shinjjku

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks looks like i need to get the tickets when i am at shinjjku

Dont have to worry one..

I book my tickets i think on the same evening i arrive at Shinjuku service center for travel 4 days later...

3xp3rti3

Reaction score
just want to ask is there any day passes for transport in Osaka/Kyoto area for the 4days that i will there?

also want to check as i be staying at Sarasa Namba Hotel in Osaka, there are a few "namba" stations?

Hotel directions below: (am confused)

Access to SARASA HOTEL Namba
3-6-6 Nipponbashi, Naniwa-ku, Osaka 556-0005 Japan
① Nankai Train "Namba Station"
  about 4 minutes on foot

② Subway Sakaisuji Line, Sennichimae Line,
  Kintetsu "Nipponbashi Station" All
  about 7 minutes on foot

③ Subway Midosuji Line "Namba Station"
  about 10 minutes on foot

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.