50 to 65" LED / OLED / LCD TV discussion thread II [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

briencheow

Reaction score
OLED OR LED

Been tasked to find the best TV for new place by parents and need some help:s13:

Read through most of the thread and still cant make up my mind on the best possible route for my situation so decided to reach for help:)

Situation:
Super drawn to OLED because of superior image quality but very cautious regarding burn-in issues with OLED and also price for a 65" one. (Wall to wall living room is 3.9M)

Currently deciding between Panasonic 55" OLED EZ950 or maybe Sony x900F or QLED.

BUDGET : $3000 [Can be adjusted]

QUALITIES: GREAT VIEWING EXPERIENCE/ PICTURE QUALITY IN A LIVING ROOM WITH NO DIRECT SUN

produde1999

Master Member
Reaction score
Been tasked to find the best TV for new place by parents and need some help:s13:

Read through most of the thread and still cant make up my mind on the best possible route for my situation so decided to reach for help:)

Situation:
Super drawn to OLED because of superior image quality but very cautious regarding burn-in issues with OLED and also price for a 65" one. (Wall to wall living room is 3.9M)

Currently deciding between Panasonic 55" OLED EZ950 or maybe Sony x900F or QLED.

BUDGET : $3000 [Can be adjusted]

QUALITIES: GREAT VIEWING EXPERIENCE/ PICTURE QUALITY IN A LIVING ROOM WITH NO DIRECT SUN
65 oled with appropriate viewing distance > 55 oled with appropriate viewing distance > 65 decent tv with appropriate viewing distance > 55 oled with inappropriate distance

with 55 oled u may get an urge to sit closer, but if u do sit closer its worth it.

qled is not oled

recommend panasonic 65 oled.

Last edited:

jnashville

Banned
Reaction score
anyone has review on xiaomi TVs, 50 inch and up? they are 4K HDR with thin bezels.. Cost only $500sgd and above depending on size.

briencheow

Reaction score
65 oled with appropriate viewing distance > 55 oled with appropriate viewing distance > 65 decent tv with appropriate viewing distance > 55 oled with inappropriate distance

with 55 oled u may get an urge to sit closer, but if u do sit closer its worth it.

qled is not oled

recommend panasonic 65 oled.

So if i choose to sit all the way back for OLED(3.5M at least), it wont be as worth it is it?:)

Btw i have a few questions namely being:
- OLED burn in with normal Singapore shows.(parents like to watch channel 8 and channel U)
- Anyone know the rough salesman price for both a 65" panasonic OLED and 65" sony x900F?
- Blooming for x900F is only an issue in dark room environments right

produde1999

Master Member
Reaction score
anyone has review on xiaomi TVs, 50 inch and up? they are 4K HDR with thin bezels.. Cost only $500sgd and above depending on size.
iirc they cant use netflix hd as they are chinese roms.

its best to buy export set locally in shops where they help u install google services if you intend to use smart features.

otherwise its cheapest to export it urself from china.

produde1999

Master Member
Reaction score
So if i choose to sit all the way back for OLED(3.5M at least), it wont be as worth it is it?:)

Btw i have a few questions namely being:
- OLED burn in with normal Singapore shows.(parents like to watch channel 8 and channel U)
- Anyone know the rough salesman price for both a 65" panasonic OLED and 65" sony x900F?
- Blooming for x900F is only an issue in dark room environments right
there is a higher chance for OLED burn in if there's static images. Eg: channel 8 logo at top right corner.

But i personally never experience OLED burn in before.

Audiohouse is normally the cheapest i can find for local sets. Its free to become their member.

Not sure about blooming issue but it sounds like IPS glare screen or VA screen dimming feature. If so, yes they are more apparent in dark environments.

Edit: Chances are with 55inch at 3.5m, you will naturally move closer to around 2.1m sitting on the floor, watching in a show that you're interested in.

If you are okay with that, then it's worth it.

Last edited:

Ed.YEO

Banned
Reaction score
...Situation:

BUDGET : $3000 [Can be adjusted]...
既然係老人家用,就唔駛買規格上幾勁嘅電視俾佢地啦。就算你買架400出嘅49寸TCL電視俾老人家用,佢地都會覺得滿足嘅!
除非。。。你仲係同佢地住埋一齊,買貴買勁一齊用,一部分安慰自己,一部分與長輩分享。。。大家必撐!

如果屋企長輩一日開機時間唔連續超過4個鐘,OLED燒屏現象就有得減低。
但係老人家嘛。。。你去上班,老人家就開始追重播嘅台劇,直到下晝1點過後再睇本地製作。。。直到你放工番嚟。。。就超過4個鐘啦。

喺影像處理上,唯一可以同新力x9000f一較上下嘅LED電視,就祗有松下65FX800。因爲無安卓操作系統,價錢就一定比新力平D。考慮下!

produde1999

Master Member
Reaction score
^ agreed with what ed yeo said

normally parents will be satisfied with 49inch lcd tv.

if you have guest or friends frequent over, for gaming or sports purpose, then maybe 65inch lcd suits ur living room

then if you really into picture quality, get urself 55 oled and put it into ur personal bedroom.
Picture quality truly excels in a well controlled dark environment.

^Get 65inch for them if you planned to do this. I get a lot nag coz my bedroom tv is bigger than living room tv

Last edited:

briencheow

Reaction score
^ agreed with what ed yeo said

normally parents will be satisfied with 49inch lcd tv.

if you have guest or friends frequent over, for gaming or sports purpose, then maybe 65inch lcd suits ur living room

then if you really into picture quality, get urself 55 oled and put it into ur personal bedroom.
Picture quality truly excels in a well controlled dark environment.

既然係老人家用,就唔駛買規格上幾勁嘅電視俾佢地啦。就算你買架400出嘅49寸TCL電視俾老人家用,佢地都會覺得滿足嘅!
除非。。。你仲係同佢地住埋一齊,買貴買勁一齊用,一部分安慰自己,一部分與長輩分享。。。大家必撐!

如果屋企長輩一日開機時間唔連續超過4個鐘,OLED燒屏現象就有得減低。
但係老人家嘛。。。你去上班,老人家就開始追重播嘅台劇,直到下晝1點過後再睇本地製作。。。直到你放工番嚟。。。就超過4個鐘啦。

喺影像處理上,唯一可以同新力x9000f一較上下嘅LED電視,就祗有松下65FX800。因爲無安卓操作系統,價錢就一定比新力平D。考慮下!

Actually i this year 20+ only. My father keep telling me he wants 65" and OLED mum tell me dont waste money and dont use too much power. I also stuck haha. Since father paying money i trying to suit him and also i personally want a better TV so i can use PLEX to view my 4k content on PC:p

produde1999

Master Member
Reaction score
Actually i this year 20+ only. My father keep telling me he wants 65" and OLED mum tell me dont waste money and dont use too much power. I also stuck haha. Since father paying money i trying to suit him and also i personally want a better TV so i can use PLEX to view my 4k content on PC:p
haha i this year 20.

typical family situation.

At that point, i would care more about your father intended usage. Does he really care about Black level performance, which mattered less in TV shows coz they have less dark scenes. If he doesn't care, I would consider xiaomi 65 and laser projector as best alternatives.

Ed.YEO

Banned
Reaction score
...My father keep telling me he wants 65" and OLED ...Since father paying money...
睇到喱兩段。。。就明白嗮啦!
有些老人家思想就係比較“傳統”。
“買得貴,就必定買得好”,所以就會相中 65EZ950 與 65X9000F。價錢幾乎一樣嘛!:s13:
帶令尊去睇下Panasonic 65FX800啦。。。或者佢會改觀咧?:D

Ed.YEO

Banned
Reaction score
58PUT6183_98-IMS-en_SG

平價大機又添一競爭對手。。。COURTS限定款!
58寸4k超高清機,賣$1200
https://www.philips.com.sg/c-p/58PU...ultra-slim-4k-uhd-led-smart-tv/specifications
https://www.download.p4c.philips.com/files/5/58put6183_98/58put6183_98_dfu_eng.pdf
https://www.courts.com.sg/promotion/philips-58put6183-98-58-in-ultra-hd-4k-smart-led-tv-ip148149

briencheow

Reaction score
haha i this year 20.

typical family situation.

At that point, i would care more about your father intended usage. Does he really care about Black level performance, which mattered less in TV shows coz they have less dark scenes. If he doesn't care, I would consider xiaomi 65 and laser projector as best alternatives.

Hey Produde but wouldnt the contrast provided either by local dimming/ OLED black levels be an advantage over other TVs without it. Like to my knowledge Black performance contribute alot to the end viewing pleasure of a tv. So i not sure whether xiaomi is good in that aspect anot:p Will go read up haha. As for Projector its a NO-GO since parents want to do built in tv feature wall. If change to projector will cause significant change to the renovation plans ongoing:)

睇到喱兩段。。。就明白嗮啦!
有些老人家思想就係比較“傳統”。
“買得貴,就必定買得好”,所以就會相中 65EZ950 與 65X9000F。價錢幾乎一樣嘛!:s13:
帶令尊去睇下Panasonic 65FX800啦。。。或者佢會改觀咧?:D
Sorry chinese not really good but you were pointing me towards Panasonic 65FX800 right?:s11:

jeff119

Master Member
Reaction score

easy choice.
Panasonic FZ950.

briencheow

Reaction score
easy choice.
Panasonic FZ950.

Hahaha honestly after comparing prices with x900F and Q9/Q8 seems like FZ950 is really a no brainer. But now going to research on 65" xiaomi and also 65" Panasonic FX800 as budget options:p Really thankful for Produde and ED

briencheow

Reaction score

produde1999

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey Produde but wouldnt the contrast provided either by local dimming/ OLED black levels be an advantage over other TVs without it. Like to my knowledge Black performance contribute alot to the end viewing pleasure of a tv. So i not sure whether xiaomi is good in that aspect anot:p Will go read up haha. As for Projector its a NO-GO since parents want to do built in tv feature wall. If change to projector will cause significant change to the renovation plans ongoing:)

Sorry chinese not really good but you were pointing me towards Panasonic 65FX800 right?:s11:
Xiaomi has local dimming. It's not perfect like OLED, but its one of the good performers among VA panels.

Black performance became less apparent if..

1. Colorful Brightful content like anime, cartoon, TV Show, Sports
2. Room is bright

imo, color performance is what really matter but so far all OLED TV, while VA only has some, has excellent color reproduction.

Laser projector projects minimum ~80inch screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.