[Official] Playstation 4 PS4 club - Part 3

AikiBoy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is digital transformation for me, converting my physical titles to digital. Sold my physical titles to make space for other stuff.

For the next gen console, i plan to go all digital, really no space for boxes.

being doing it for sometime... no regret. but then sometime I think... no physical disc like duno money goes where feeling.

grove88

Reaction score
Any recommendation for HDD (2TB) or SSD (1TB) to replace my PS4 stock drive? My PS4 is the very old model, got it way before slim came out.

I know SSD may not be value for money, but if my PS4 spoil at least can use it for my PC. Unless 2TB HDD is cheap enough.

oz_yuber

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any recommendation for HDD (2TB) or SSD (1TB) to replace my PS4 stock drive? My PS4 is the very old model, got it way before slim came out.

I know SSD may not be value for money, but if my PS4 spoil at least can use it for my PC. Unless 2TB HDD is cheap enough.

Many have recommended Seagate Firecuda. I have been thinking of changing to 2TB for a very long time but didn't have the heart to do it till today.

My last swap was from the original 500GB to 1TB, using HGST which was long ago....

rudylili

Reaction score
I don't see the point of upgrading your internal HDD when you can just easily plug&play a external hdd.
Unless u yearn for fast loading by using SSD. Yes, by all means go ahead.

Many have recommended Seagate Firecuda. I have been thinking of changing to 2TB for a very long time but didn't have the heart to do it till today.

My last swap was from the original 500GB to 1TB, using HGST which was long ago....

rudylili

Reaction score
Is it true, if there is no Internet access or unable to go online....thosee digital games will not be loaded?

It is digital transformation for me, converting my physical titles to digital. Sold my physical titles to make space for other stuff.

For the next gen console, i plan to go all digital, really no space for boxes.

justln

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

2 TB SSHD is good, me using. But if you need better loading speed then SSD is no brainer.

grove88

Reaction score

Thanks, saw the Firecuda SSHD as well but 2TB @ $150+ a bit beyond what I am willing to pay without re-using. What's the best price you have seen?

I don't see the point of upgrading your internal HDD when you can just easily plug&play a external hdd.

External HDD must support USB3.0? If no need I have an old, spare 1TB HDD. Then save some money.

2 TB SSHD is good, me using. But if you need better loading speed then SSD is no brainer.

No need for speed actually but I figured getting a cheap SSD is better for me. Hard to reuse HDDs if my PC is already running all SSDs.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Not feasible to upgrade to SSD for PS4, the improvement isn't very
noticeable unlike on PC.
For me 1TB is just nice for my PS4 pro, if need extra space
can either:

- Backup PS4 and reinitialize the PS4
This will clear all the data and PS4 might run smoother
- External HDD
You can use External HDD with PS4

molotovmocktail

Reaction score
Won’t regret Firecuda. Make sure you buy the 2.5” model.

Amazon has discounts but sometimes they drop price then won’t ship overseas.

molotovmocktail

Reaction score
US$60 from Amazon US.

When the price isn’t Super special, they will ship overseas and also via Amazon Prime SG.

Or wait for Shoppee sale or Lazada 27 March birthday sale.

Thanks, saw the Firecuda SSHD as well but 2TB @ $150+ a bit beyond what I am willing to pay without re-using. What's the best price you have seen?

External HDD must support USB3.0? If no need I have an old, spare 1TB HDD. Then save some money.

No need for speed actually but I figured getting a cheap SSD is better for me. Hard to reuse HDDs if my PC is already running all SSDs.

molotovmocktail

Reaction score
Had some issues of detection when I had my old PS4 1st gen. So better with internal HDD or Hybrid. But SSD performance vs price in terms of PS4 isn’t worth the extra $ unless you’re very very rich.

Now I transplanted the Firecuda 2TB to the PS4 Pro. PS4 Pro 1GB original to the old PS4. 500GB spare haha but doesn’t matter. Just keep.

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score

External HDD must be USB 3.0. If you are thinking of reuse, can buy an external USB 3.0 casing (just the case, it's not expensive, self-assemble) and use existing or new HDD/SSHD (note that older HDDs may not work, especially those with higher power requirements). That way in the future you can reuse it as external HDD for PC or other devices. Or just get a new branded USB HDD.

Using external HDD means you can install a lot of games, but for games you are currently playing, you can move them to internal HDD for better speed if necessary (if it makes a difference), and move them out after finishing. If you have existing SSD, you can use that as internal even if it is smaller capacity, just use a big HDD as external and move games around. (Moving around can take some times though, especially for big games like 40GB or something.)

Note that when an external HDD is used for the PS4, PS4 will format the whole HDD into its own format. You cannot plug it in and out of PS4 and PC to transfer files, or partition it, etc. (Of course can still reformat it using PC when no longer needed for PS4.)

Last edited:

Whizdom

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re2 if i complete leon ? I must play claire then considered i completed the game?
What it means by 2nd run?
Sent from Samsung SM-N950F using GAGT

oz_yuber

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Won’t regret Firecuda. Make sure you buy the 2.5” model.

Amazon has discounts but sometimes they drop price then won’t ship overseas.

That's the thing. Have been talking to a colleague and we are both interested in this for a long time but just can't find the heart to do it... and games are getting bigger lately, and my 1TB is constantly remaining with less than sufficient space, resulting in lots of deleting and installing over and over again...

Might stop procrastinating and move it in by Q2 of this year :)

oz_yuber

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

About $140 from SLS, Bizgram. This was from the price list downloaded a few months ago...

Don't think IT show price will go down that much.

At the end of the day, you can also consider using external HDD via USB 3.0 if you want to lower the budget. I wanted to but my 2 USB ports are used up. My controllers are pretty much dead if I don't connect the cable for powering it up and i just didn't feel bothered enough to get a new one. My PS4 was the first gen, bought it when it was just launched...

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
I wanted to but my 2 USB ports are used up. My controllers are pretty much dead if I don't connect the cable for powering it up and i just didn't feel bothered enough to get a new one. My PS4 was the first gen, bought it when it was just launched...
You don't have to connect the controller to the PS4 if its battery is low/zero. You can just connect it to any USB power source, while using it to play PS4 game at the same time. I have a 5m USB cable, just plug it in to any USB charger (1A type should be enough as it doesn't draw a lot of power).

If you want to connect to PS4 for charging, you can use a USB hub. I have a simple hub (just USB 2.0, not even 3.0) plugged into the PS4 all the time. I put USB thumb drive on it (to backup save file), bluetooth dongle (for using bluetooth headset with PS4 games), another audio dongle (for Sony PS Pluse Elite), PS4 controller (if I want to charge, though now I use a separate USB charger). My hub has button to toggle on/off for each port, so I can just turn on those that I want, but that's optional. I don't plug the external HDD into the hub though, I use a dedicated port on the PS4 for that.

And if you don't want to keep using the controller wired, just replace the battery. You can buy a battery from Aliexpress at US$8. Battery is the easiest thing to replace, as it's the first thing you see after unscrewing and opening the controller.

oz_yuber

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You don't have to connect the controller to the PS4 if its battery is low/zero. You can just connect it to any USB power source, while using it to play PS4 game at the same time. I have a 5m USB cable, just plug it in to any USB charger (1A type should be enough as it doesn't draw a lot of power).

If you want to connect to PS4 for charging, you can use a USB hub. I have a simple hub (just USB 2.0, not even 3.0) plugged into the PS4 all the time. I put USB thumb drive on it (to backup save file), bluetooth dongle (for using bluetooth headset with PS4 games), another audio dongle (for Sony PS Pluse Elite), PS4 controller (if I want to charge, though now I use a separate USB charger). My hub has button to toggle on/off for each port, so I can just turn on those that I want, but that's optional. I don't plug the external HDD into the hub though, I use a dedicated port on the PS4 for that.

And if you don't want to keep using the controller wired, just replace the battery. You can buy a battery from Aliexpress at US$8. Battery is the easiest thing to replace, as it's the first thing you see after unscrewing and opening the controller.

Thanks for the advise..

Eh if i use a hub to connect to 2 USB port to charge both controllers, and use 1 of the USB port to connect to the HDD will there be issues?

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise..

Eh if i use a hub to connect to 2 USB port to charge both controllers, and use 1 of the USB port to connect to the HDD will there be issues?
No issue. But I would advise use a separate USB charger for the controllers instead. You will want the charger to be closer to you (at the couch side) instead of closer to the PS4 (at the TV side), so you don't have a cable running across the room. (Yes, you can still charge and play at the same time, even though the controllers are connected to separate charger and not to the PS4.)

Universal-18-W-USB-Quick-charge-3-0-5V-3A-for-Iphone-7-8-EU-US.jpg_200x200.jpg
ORICO-DCV-4U-BK-4-Ports-Mini-Smart-charger-30W-Desktop-Charger-Black.jpg_200x200.jpg
ORICO-OSC-4A4U-UK-Home-Office-UK-Surge-Protector-With-4-USB-Charger-4-UK-AC.jpg_200x200.jpg

molotovmocktail

Reaction score
1TB not enough lah haha

Just share shipping cost with your colleague and vpost back Lor. Use camelcamelcamel.com to track amazon prices and set alert.

Or if ok then SG amazon prime it back. Be sure to get the 2.5” version.

That's the thing. Have been talking to a colleague and we are both interested in this for a long time but just can't find the heart to do it... and games are getting bigger lately, and my 1TB is constantly remaining with less than sufficient space, resulting in lots of deleting and installing over and over again...

Might stop procrastinating and move it in by Q2 of this year :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.