Air purifier? - Part 2

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The above Xiaomi tested is the AP version 2.

Unfortunately i believe it is using the green filter already. ie 67 m3/hr for formaldehyde performance is the max.

Sauce of the big round-up :
http://jd.zol.com.cn/568/5686935.html

ChMkJlbU68aIJfC2AADqY9hMd_cAAMI3AEDRu8AAOp7690.png

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
One thing to take note is about young kids.

They are especially susceptible to being scarred. And they have a long journey ahead.
Madhatter is at the helm now.

If you scar a 50-70 yr old lungs, screw the brains, IQ, cognitive, no real biggie. Of coz if go hospital, it is gonna have a financial cost and toll.

If you screw up your 5-6 year old kid, a FT like CECA/Pinoy kid/teen/adult is more than willing and hungry to take over. And there is an endless supply.

For Your personal family consideration.

Personally if i were to be living in Punngol/Pasir Ris/SK, i'd definitely get a unit of the 352 X83C Plus even if that means i forgoing to restaurants for a year or forgoing 1 pax's annual holiday budget.

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have 5 Xiaomi pros. One at each room / area. Decent coverage running at acceptable No smell when operating during the recent burning hazy occasions at night.

Didn’t really closed all windows. Most of the windows closed except kitchen - left open slightly. Still able to keep pm readings down and no smell noticed in living hall and bedrooms.

There’s no hard and fast rule. Sometimes have to close all windows. Sometimes you leave slightly open still able to achieve what you want.

Wah lan, you have 2500 m3/hr CADR for particulate matter and possibly ~ 500 m3/hr for formaldehyde.

And by guesstimation, around 500-1000 m3/hr CADR for the various VOCs produced at sungai kim kim. Coz all the others are easier to be adsorped.

You are a good parent. People, be like Lucky177. :)

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
For those using Xiaomi 2S, do you all leave it on auto mode or manual? Manual mode die die must use the Mi Home app right?

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Forgot one chemical found later, hydrogen cyanide. Luckily, this is adsorped even easier than formaldehyde by AC.

daUHyfd.jpg

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Was just looking at the 352 X83C Plus and forgot that they actually have a X50.

So this is also a decent choice for those who wants something to counter the VOC risk for their kids.

Realised that they are pricing the X50 competitively against the Xiaomi Pro.
Keypoints
Particulate Matter CADR = 500m3/hr
Formaldehyde CADR = 150m3/hr which is double that of the Xiaomi

The noise SPL is probably around the same as the Xiaomi Pro, though it has 5 speeds and can be manually set on the unit directly (in addition to through the app and also RF remote control). Fan speed 2 is 220 m3/hr and 39dBA, more than silent enough even for light sleepers and still giving a good airflow.. Max SPL @ 500 m3/hr is 59dBA, quite a fair bit less noisy than the Pro @ 66dBA 500m3/hr or even the Xiaomi 2S (66dBA @ 310 m3/hr).

Another important point is 35W power consumption (@ 500m3/hr CADR???), which is extremely good and extremely efficient. In fact it sounds too good to be true, it's even better than the Sharps and Samsungs (already very very efficient). But do verify on this aspect and see if it's a legit figure, seems too good to be true.
This actually makes a difference in real life, coz you are going to be operating the AP like your AC, something like 8-10hrs daily, over a period of many years.

The formaldehyde capacity (look at the CCM figure) is good too, so it can be used for quite a while.

Price 1199rmb.
Filter replacement 299rmb.

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.20.41b6660asWGx8a&id=557830479446&ns=1&abbucket=12

O1CN0112mSCo224H4qJchi1_!!3217147066.jpg

TB2HgbCmRjTBKNjSZFNXXasFXXa_!!3217147066.jpg

TB2cNhVggvD8KJjy0FlXXagBFXa_!!3217147066.jpg

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's just 9W at 220m/3h and 13W @ 300 m3/hr.

The Xiaomi 2S is 31W @ 310m3/hr. Or something like 22W @ 220m3/hr.

13W difference, lets take 1kWh as 22 cents. 10hr daily operation. That's $0.0286 difference per day or $10 per year. $50 for 5 years, $$100 10 years.

My Samsung AX40 close to 6 years liao. Sharp KC-840 is in its 11th year.
My tiong Mfresh M8088A still kicking, 4 years old.

You do the math.

The filter indeed is a bit expensive at rmb 299/S$60. 1 yr change once. I guess if we use the electrical savings of $10 per year, that brings it down to $50?

BTW, it's best not to push the filters past 1 year, even if that year does not have moderate or dense haze. Personal experience of many years.

Last edited:

lousydrinker

Master Member
Reaction score
Leave a 5mm gap at the window so that there is some incoming/outgoing wind, in addition to the door gaps or MBR toilet door/window helping the exchange.

This keeps CO2 concentration from building up > 2000ppm and making you feel irritable in the morning or have headaches.

Need to close the windows. The next question is, can you tahan the heat even with a fan. I'd bet 99.9% of the pax here cannot do that without AC.

I m the 0.01% cos I never on my aircon for more than 3 times since I moved in last July

Posted from PCWX using ONEPLUS 5T

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I m the 0.01% cos I never on my aircon for more than 3 times since I moved in last July

Posted from PCWX using ONEPLUS 5T

Never switch on AC is fine, no issue. My MIL also does not always switch on in the guest room.....coz my place is quite breezy due to high floor.

The issue is with AP operation, you'd close the doors and windows leaving just a gap of 5mm at the windows to keep CO2 concentrations down, 2-3 pax inside eg with kids, heat load inside grows overnight, can tahan or not? And what if you are watching TV from 8pm to 10.30pm, the heat from the PC/notebook/fibre modem etc.
Coz it's not only the heat but also the humidity is increasing (the AC FCU removes the humidity as well), ie the heat index "I feel" temperature is actually higher than the actual temperature.

I don't think so.....esp not during the hot nights.

And then what about hazy afternoons during haze season where you'd definitely need AC if you wanna close the windows/doors with AP operation. It's going to be even warmer.

-------------------

I give example. 29 deg C, 70% RH. "Apparent" temperature is just 33 deg C.

But room with everything closed . We make it to be "just" 30 deg C. RH is 90%.
"Apparent" temperature is 41 deg C.

That's a whooping 8 deg C apparent temperature difference, even though it looks to be just 1 deg C warmer on the thermometer.

Last edited:

PeasantBeing

Master Member
Reaction score
I am also the 0.01% as I don't have aircon in my entire house.
So use fan to blow direct lor.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 5 on Rocket Uno with TPG Booster using GAGT

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am also the 0.01% as I don't have aircon in my entire house.
So use fan to blow direct lor.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 5 on Rocket Uno with TPG Booster using GAGT

Let me get it correct. You guys are using the Air purifier nightly with windows and doors both closed, be it from 8pm after you guys reached home and then watch TV, or from 10/11pm during sleeping time with 1 - 3 pax in the room all the way till next morning when you leave home? :eek:

klarklar

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi expert WussRedXLi,

Since need to leave windows open with only a small gap, I think the right time to use air purifier is when one is not sleeping and/or not in the room.

Leave the air purifier on for a few hours with window slightly opened, then turn it off when one goes to sleep with window totally open for good ventilation. Is this good practice?

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi expert WussRedXLi,

Since need to leave windows open with only a small gap, I think the right time to use air purifier is when one is not sleeping and/or not in the room.

Leave the air purifier on for a few hours with window slightly opened, then turn it off when one goes to sleep with window totally open for good ventilation. Is this good practice?

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

Once you open the windows, the level rises nearly instantly, and normalises with external levels withing 1-2 minutes. If there is a good wind blowing, literally within 20-30 seconds.

And say if the external haze level is heavy and you have closed all the windows and doors, internally you'd need the AP to continue operating at a decent speed/airflow, eg 200 m3/hr in order to maintain air quality, even if you have blasted @ max speed for 1hr earlier.
The same goes for any "heavy smell" for pasir gudang.

People with laser particle meters/CO2 meters would know what am i talking about.

klarklar

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

Once you open the windows, the level rises nearly instantly, and normalises with external levels withing 1-2 minutes. If there is a good wind blowing, literally within 20-30 seconds.

And say if the external haze level is heavy and you have closed all the windows and doors, internally you'd need the AP to continue operating at a decent speed/airflow, eg 200 m3/hr in order to maintain air quality, even if you have blasted @ max speed for 1hr earlier.
The same goes for any "heavy smell" for pasir gudang.

People with laser particle meters/CO2 meters would know what am i talking about.

Does it mean air-con and air-purifier should be turned on at the same time for best comfort?

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does it mean air-con and air-purifier should be turned on at the same time for best comfort?

Of coz. The AC not only removes the heat, it also lowers the relative humidity at the same time. Else it gets all muggy, the humidity has nowhere to go, using a fan does not lower humidity (which when combined with heat as shown in the calculations above, it's a very bad combi).

The main issue is not only about the temperature rise in a closed room with 1 to 3 or 4 pax in the room. When the temperature rises in the room with heat sources like human beings/the TV/PC etc, maybe the walls/floors/ceiling/furniture would absorb a fair bit of the heat.

The humidity in the room would also rise (I mean we humans breathe right?), and that does not really go down.
Other than the much higher Heat Index temperature, a high RH% also makes you feel sticky etc.

I mean, heck, of coz you still can force yourself to sleep in a room with doors/windows closed even on the hottest and most humid nights in SG even in hazy conditions. I don't know, i mean some pax also posted during 2015 heavy haze season that they slept with their N95 respirators on. :(

Personally for me, i'd not want to live in such a hardcore way......
If the weather is like Chiang Mai (heavy heavy haze now) where it dips to 21 deg C at night then yeah......if the indoors humidity gets high due to people in the room and windows/doors closed then it's still alright coz internal temp would be maybe 25-26 deg C, like our rainy days humid nights condition.

I guess YMMV, your mileage may vary..... *shrugs*

Last edited:

MaoZeDuo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.