Air purifier? - Part 2

lousydrinker

Master Member
Reaction score
any recommendation for air purifier?

thinking of getting 1 for my house, 4 room, 2 pax, punggol where the air stinks..

looking at xiaomi 2S, should i buy locally or order from TB?

or just this will do?
https://www.qoo10.sg/item/4-STAGE-FI...ner_no=1305330

Looking for 1 too. Staying Punggol too

I think should standby 1 or 2 at home

Last time I bought Samsung AX40, not sure if this still a popular choice

Posted from PCWX using ONEPLUS 5T

PeasantBeing

Master Member
Reaction score
Let me get it correct. You guys are using the Air purifier nightly with windows and doors both closed, be it from 8pm after you guys reached home and then watch TV, or from 10/11pm during sleeping time with 1 - 3 pax in the room all the way till next morning when you leave home? :eek:
Windows leave a very small gap. Room doors are very old type got "louvres" at top 1/3 area, if you know what I mean. Then directly above one room door, not solid wall but got those glass panes built in. Our hdb flat is very old type.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 5 on Rocket Uno with TPG Booster using GAGT

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Windows leave a very small gap. Room doors are very old type got "louvres" at top 1/3 area, if you know what I mean. Then directly above one room door, not solid wall but got those glass panes built in. Our hdb flat is very old type.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 5 on Rocket Uno with TPG Booster using GAGT

I understand what you mean.......old HDB units.

Well basically it'd be the same with the new BTOs with double gasket windows and stuff (pretty airtight even with winds blasting against it). It's similar to just leaving the door slightly ajar with a gap of approx 3-4 inches.

Share some experience. In 2015 haze season, i really have tried that before with the Samsung AX40 blowing directly at me sitting in front of the computer and AC is not switched on, during the afternoons no less. Coz try to save electricity also....the haze season started around early August and ended just before Nov. :o 1 pax in the bedroom, but note it's like 2 pax in the room coz the PC has a heat load of approx 100W.

Is not say cannot tahan but it's very hot overall. Being half naked would be nice and would help as well.

If i remember correctly, say external air quality is around 200-250 ug/m3 on the laser particle coounter which is moderately heavy haze, internally i can get it to around 50 ug/m3 on the meter. If close the door, hitting 10 ug/m3 is easy no issue.

But if anyone is reading this and wants to buy an AP but house does not have AC installed, you must be mentally prepared first.

Personally if i were to comment - i would not be able to get to sleep soundly for a couple of hours in such warm conditions. First hour or 2 maybe still ok.

Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
PS. Anyway, for those who wants to get Aircon but are very afraid of all the ABCDEFG maintenance costs and problem of getting legit good AC technicians to service your aircon (else will breakdown or run inefficiently) and also the fuss of needing to take half day leave to have someone at home to jagar the AC tech....... not to mention that it's not cheap nowadays for good servicing.......then i can give you some help also.

There is this DIY AC servicing thread. All the tips are in there.
Read from page 168 onwards, all the updated and latest streamlined and most efficient/effective tips are in there.

Guys! You all got DIY clean your aircon blower ?
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...-aircon-blower-5091470-184.html#post119945976

PS. That $20-30 aircon servicing is really not servicing. Also even if you DIY vacuum clean and use wet vacuum to suck the drainage pipe is also not called aircon servicing.

kurtgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
i read that having some indoor plants help.

recently i bought 2 plants - snake plants, also known as mother in law tongue.

was told it actually purifier the air while releasing oxygen at night.

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
nope.. on this thread?
mind sharing if i miss out the posts.

Pg 183 and pg 184 if you are into prepping against VOC risk. Basically the IQ Air GC Multigas (3.3k sgd I think). If lower budget, the 352 X83C Plus from Taobao. Contact MRC in the Taobao official thread, he can help you to ship over via sensitive sea.

If it's for just particulate matter (haze), any machine above $150 would do.....

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i read that having some indoor plants help.

recently i bought 2 plants - snake plants, also known as mother in law tongue.

was told it actually purifier the air while releasing oxygen at night.

I'd just give a short ans and say that it won't work fast enough for VOCs to get any meaningful % drop, unless maybe if you can plant all 4 walls, ceiling and floors full of them.

And it wouldn't touch the particulate matter (haze).

Of coz some folks are nature lovers, that is a viable solution if one does not mind filling up the room with lots of suitable plants. If it's just for "play play" coz plants in a room does look nice and does absorb a wee wee bit of VOCs, then go ahead.

For guarding against another sungai kim kim incident that might be 5X, 10X bigger, don't try this. Remember, over 200 pax were hospitalised in Johor just 3km distance away from Punggol Northshore residences in Singapore. We are lucky this time round, simply coz Punggol Northshore is still not yet TOP, and the nearest completed HDB blocks are really a fair bit farther away.

Not trying to featmonger, but if one has kids/elderly/heath issues, then i'd really ask these folks living there to be mighty mindful. Once you are able to smell the first solid wave of VOCs, it's already in the room. Closing the windows only helps to prevent any further increase in levels if external levels really do spike further.

Srsly, if closing the windows do work, there wouldn't be > 1000 pax needing medical attention in hospitals in Johor already. Just normal common sense at work here.

Or maybe someone in our govt is thinking that the JHKs have IQs less than 60 and cannot close windows or something.

Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tonight really hot. Basket......heat index of 36-38 deg C at 8.20pm and that's with the windows open. It'd be easily over 40 deg C heat index temperature with the doors closed, be it 100% closed or just 80% closed.

Now you know what i was getting at early....... not that i die die want to ask folks to spend money, use AP best is if you can use with AC.

Sitting in front of my PC, windows opened, Samsung AX40 aiming at me, still perspiring a bit right after i bathed with cold water. :mad: AC switched on in the MBR already though......gotta go in liao.

Last edited:

lousydrinker

Master Member
Reaction score
Tonight really hot. Basket......heat index of 36-38 deg C at 8.20pm and that's with the windows open. It'd be easily over 40 deg C heat index temperature with the doors closed, be it 100% closed or just 80% closed.

Now you know what i was getting at early....... not that i die die want to ask folks to spend money, use AP best is if you can use with AC.

Sitting in front of my PC, windows opened, Samsung AX40 aiming at me, still perspiring a bit right after i bathed with cold water.
:mad:
AC switched on in the MBR already though......gotta go in liao.

Where r staying? Punggol feels ok

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Where r staying? Punggol feels ok

South side. If you are into weather as well, during the NE monsoon season, the N/NE wind at night would drop the N/NE parts first and faster than the other parts. It's possible that if you are living in Punngol esp if nearer to the water parts, there is not much landmass/buildings to further retain heat during the day and heat up the air. Called the urban heat island effect.

The straits of Johor and waters around Tekong is not a very big area, but it can still cause a localised effect.

The difference is not big of course....the place where this effect is zero would be Pulau Ubin, Lim Chu Kang, the urban heat island effect affects a large part of the island still esp the more built up areas, but it's there.

We are just starting intermonsoon season, then the N/NE cooling first effect (small one) would not be there already. SW monsoon period of course don't say, and that's also the indon haze season period, the period when you might be using the AP. Then we get intermonsoon again from end Oct to late Nov.

And nope, zero rain just now in Singapore and JB seen on the weather radar......to affect the temps.

BTW ignore Ubin and LCK areas as well. No urban heat island effect.
It's 2AM now though...but just to show the effect.

fHMwv5c.jpg

u78gsAH.jpg

Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/s...n-chiang-mai-as-air-pollution-hits-disastrous

PUBLISHED2 HOURS AGO

BANGKOK (THE NATION/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - An academic has called on the government to declare a state of emergency in Chiang Mai and most of Thailand's northern provinces over 'disastrous' levels of smog.

Residents in the north are advised to stay inside air-conditioned buildings and avoid all outdoor activities as some areas of Chiang Mai recorded levels of PM2.5 - particulate matter fine enough to enter a person's bloodstream through the lungs - beyond 700 micrograms per cubic metre (µg/m³) of air on Saturday morning.

Witsanu Attavanich, a lecturer at Kasetsart University, said any level over 500 is hazardous and far beyond the capacity of local authorities to cope. The central government needs to step in now and declare a state of emergency, he said.

"Such a disastrous level of PM2.5 is probably the highest level ever recorded in Thailand," Witsanu said.

"No need to consider the level of threat from such dangerously hazardous air pollution on our health, as breathing in only 100 micrograms of PM2.5 is considered to be very harmful even for healthy people."

In January, all schools in Bangkok were temporarily shut down when the PM2.5 level was around 70 to 120 micrograms.
But, so far, except for the creation of "safe zones" in Chiang Mai city centre, no such emergency procedure has been ordered by the Chiang Mai Provincial Authority.

Professor Kwanchai Suparatpinyo of Chiang Mai University's Research Institute for Health Sciences said the situation was critical. He cited the many forest fires that ravaged Chiang Mai and the northern region as well smog from neighbouring countries as the causes.

He urged residents, especially small children, elderly persons and pregnant women as well as those with chronic ailments such as allergies and heart disease, to stay indoors and refrain from all outdoor activity.

Meanwhile the Pollution Control Department (PCD) put the 24-hour average of PM2.5 between 36and 239 micrograms per cubic metre of air in nine northern provinces.

Tambon Jong Kham in Muang Mae Hong Son was worst off at 239 mcg, followed by Wiang Phang Kham in Chiang Rai's Mae Sai district at 224 mcg. Tambon Wiang in Muang Chiang Rai cited 98 mcg, while Chang Pheuk and Sri Phum in Muang Chiang Mai cited 172 mcg and 168 mcg respectively.

hairiel

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just bought a Philips DE5205/30 2in1 air purifier/dehumidifer during the Lazada sale. Dust still appears on my desk and other furniture, heck it also started to settle on top of the air purifier itself. Is this normal for an air purifier?

Pocoyoz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
which AP is good for removing dust and small particulate for a normal bedroom size?
best is small size AP:o

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
which AP is good for removing dust and small particulate for a normal bedroom size?

Xiaomi 2S is ok. Very small footprint.

120-150 m3/hr airflow in lower speed settings is ok. You might need to learn to do some speed/period programming, coz the auto mode is useless, only kicks into higher fan speed at way over PSI 100 levels. iirc is over 75 ug/m3 detected by the internal laser particle counter then kick in faster fan speed. Else is useless.

No worries ba, the programming is a decent workaround.

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just bought a Philips DE5205/30 2in1 air purifier/dehumidifer during the Lazada sale. Dust still appears on my desk and other furniture, heck it also started to settle on top of the air purifier itself. Is this normal for an air purifier?

Air purifiers won't take care of dust, unless it's swtiched on 24/7 and at a high enough airflow wind speed, ie gonna be noisy.

That is why it's recommended to (1) get a higher max airflow model and of big size, like the X83C Plus mentioned 2-3 pages earlier.
(2) multiple units of small stuff, like the Xiaomi 2S.

eg The Xiaomi 2S has 310m3/hr, impressive for its size......but then they are squeezing that value out. Nothing wrong with that........you just dial it down to around 120-150 m3/hr for normal daily/nightly operation, yet you have the power to blast it during periods of heavy haze.

Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But if you have allergies in the aircon room (Aircon FCU black mold issue + dust mite droppings accumulated in the mattress and to a certain limited extent accumulated in the insides of the aircon FCU and then recirculated in the room during AC operation) and you are expecting this to cure your allergies, then this low airflow of around 120-150 m3/h is not going to help much. Worse, some modes are actually around 30-50 m/3hr.
And then the medium mode and high modes are too noisy, though they do flow ok.

You can't operate a high airflow at night while sleeping too, unless you are wearing ear plugs. Unless it's like the Samsung AX40, which is pretty silent for the kind of airlow that it flows.

Basically for allergy cases, you want at least a 5 ACH / air changes per hr, preferably 8-10 air changes per hour. Calculate the volume of your room, then use the airflow figure divide by this. Don't worry about having furnitures in the room, just L x W x H, you could use the extra buffer too....... coz the filter does drop in airflow slowly over time as well etc.

Eg
3.7 x 5.5 x 3m HDB MBR you get 61 m3. A 150 m3/hr air purifier gets you 2.5 ACH only.

So if you use air purifier solely to solve the issue, it is not so easy to get 8-10 ACH. Better to get rid of the source, ie aircon seriving every 1 to a max of 3 months. And not the general servicing, but chemical wash every 1-3 months.
And so that presents another issue - use alkaline coil cleaner and the aircon evaporator aluminum coil gets corroded/eaten up within 1 year.

So you learn to DIY clean it with medium to high pressure water and a cleaner (eg evaporative coil cleaner), or get a service provider to use a proper non-corrosive alkaline coil cleaner.
But if you have 2-3 FCUs to clean like that, it's likely that you'd spend 1k annually in cleaning costs. If you cannot afford to spend that kind of money, try to learn to DIY clean. The tools are not expensive.

General servicing $20-40 type of cleaning does nothing to help the situation.
Don't bother, don't waste time, don't waste money. Also, don't bother to just use a hose from the tap and spray, the 30-40 PSI even in a concentrated stream is useless. Vacuums and brushes are useless as well, very very minimal cleaning and is merely the exterior. Don't cheat yourself.

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
PS. A 310 m3/hr max blast on a Xiaomi 2S is sufficient to clean the air in the room and after 15 mins you can throttle back to 120 m3/hr or so, no issue even for external AQI of 200. Have done that before, no issue.

But for internal pollutants like dust mite droppings (esp when you toss and churn) and indoor aircon FCU black mold source with the windows closed, not really the same hor.
And at just extremely minute levels you could trigger the allergy. And unfortunately for dust mite droppings (size ranges from around 2 to 10 microns for the smallest droppings, relatively big stuff), if the filter does not capture it, then you are gonna breathe it in. But still, it's going to help to a good extent.

Aircon FCU black mold travels through the air before you breathing it in. An AP or multiple APs with high airflow ACH would help.

Very different animals vs Haze.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.