Comparison of SIM only plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ask u all. I am a m1 switch to starhub, number port over. I just received the SH simcard delivered to me. How long will it take before my m1 simcard automatically stop working? I have not switch telco for many years, so I don't know how it works...

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

Shadowz1984

Reaction score
If i sign gomo, then singtel has a port in promo, does porting from gomo qualify?
Probably no... Gomo is under singtel. It is not a separate company to begin with. Just a new product branch.

Sent from 大帅哥 using GAGT

laeticia

Reaction score
http://www.starhub.com/personal/promotions/recurring-payment.html

for starhub they do have a promo if you sign up for recurring payment through card or GIRO. 100 free sms. Not sure how it would work though. I just tried signing up for recurring payment through my debit card, will update if I get free 100sms. :s13:

My SH bill is paid by giro, in the bill it says

If the monthly GIRO payment is for your StarHub Mobile bills, you will get 100 free SMS/MMS each month.

logicweapon

Reaction score
Just got email for 20GB for $18 under circles, currently under StarHub 13GB for $19.65. Is it a good idea to port over? This is my second line so I use it mainly for data.

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wv8Eqexl.png

My old M1 3G 12gb plan

FoQSyOLl.png

Received the SH sim only sim card last night, testing now. Wtf. It's not even half the speed?! Or because it's pending port over this speed is greatly reduced??? This is tested on exact same spot, I didn't move an inch at all lor.

GReddy G9 RS

Reaction score
wv8Eqexl.png

My old M1 3G 12gb plan

FoQSyOLl.png

Received the SH sim only sim card last night, testing now. Wtf. It's not even half the speed?! Or because it's pending port over this speed is greatly reduced??? This is tested on exact same spot, I didn't move an inch at all lor.

This is what I get for starhub 4g.
kzFtWgEl.jpg

Sent from HUAWEI MATE 20 using GAGT

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is what I get for starhub 4g.
kzFtWgEl.jpg

Sent from HUAWEI MATE 20 using GAGT

Wah, big difference leh. Yours is sim only plan??? Could it be because my number is still pending port over from m1 to starhub, thus the speed is greatly restricted???
Btw, phone models shouldn't make a difference bah, does it???

Sadist4life

Reaction score
Whats the benefit of volte? Thought need new phone too

Which sim only plans support?

Main benefit of VoLTE is clearer calls. The difference will vary from user to user, but in my experience, it's like day and night. Sadly, there's no cross-carrier VoLTE support in SG.

Wah, big difference leh. Yours is sim only plan??? Could it be because my number is still pending port over from m1 to starhub, thus the speed is greatly restricted???
Btw, phone models shouldn't make a difference bah, does it???

Depends on location as well as phone models. Huawei Mate 20 is one of the few that can leverage the 1Gbps network of Starhub and SingTel.

Also, your Starhub connection seemed to be limited to 3.5G. The logo shown was H+.

http://www.starhub.com/personal/support/services-and-plans/mobile-network/1gbps-network.html (under Q5)

https://www.singtel.com/personal/products-services/mobile/4g (under Gigabit 4G+)

wackykid

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID

In short caller ID is a service one subscribe to enable your own display name to appear on the persons phone you called.

By default without caller ID only the phone number will show.

Our local telecos stretched the definition of caller ID by blocking the display of phone numbers as well as the display name when you do not subscribe to caller ID.

Only having a custom display name requires the telco to have its own database.
Just displaying of phone numbers does not require any special effort on the telco part. Probably why MVNOs can afford to give "caller ID" for free as it does not require any additional work on their part.

the thing is... your "ID" i.e. the phone number that u are familiar with... is not necessarily the actual phone number tied to your telco/account...

problem comes when IDA (now IMDA) mandates number portability for all telcos... hence to do this... telcos implement number portability via the "display name" thing...

but underlying when u sign up a new telco and ask to port your number... what happens is u get a "dummy number" (this is the real number that is allocated to that telco) assigned to u first... which is why when u get the SIM card from the telco and try to use it immediately to call someone... u see a different number (i.e. the dummy number) until number porting takes effect... and the telcos have to store this ported number somewhere... and hence the display name is used to store this ported number since we don't actually use that to store name here... unless you are some organization which is why sometimes the caller ID shows alphanumeric name rather than only numbers...

hence the caller ID service that telcos need to implement is to figure out your "display name" which happens to be the phone number that carries along with you whenever you port your number... without this Caller ID service... either the phone number you see will get will be the "wrong" number... or you won't be allowed to do number port in the first place...

regards,
wacky

Last edited:

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Main benefit of VoLTE is clearer calls. The difference will vary from user to user, but in my experience, it's like day and night. Sadly, there's no cross-carrier VoLTE support in SG.

Depends on location as well as phone models. Huawei Mate 20 is one of the few that can leverage the 1Gbps network of Starhub and SingTel.

Also, your Starhub connection seemed to be limited to 3.5G. The logo shown was H+.

http://www.starhub.com/personal/support/services-and-plans/mobile-network/1gbps-network.html (under Q5)

https://www.singtel.com/personal/products-services/mobile/4g (under Gigabit 4G+)

Could it be phone issues that's causing the slow download upload speed? I am using old Redmi Note 4. But then again I am using same phone when testing the m1 sim card wor...

Same location, same phone, two different sim card. Am I right to narrow down the speed issue to telco? Btw, I realise my new simcard (SH) has not ported over my old (m1) number. Would this be one of the reason for the slow speed on SH?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.