Comparison of SIM only plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

assiak71

Master Member
Reaction score
Could it be phone issues that's causing the slow download upload speed? I am using old Redmi Note 4. But then again I am using same phone when testing the m1 sim card wor...

Same location, same phone, two different sim card. Am I right to narrow down the speed issue to telco? Btw, I realise my new simcard (SH) has not ported over my old (m1) number. Would this be one of the reason for the slow speed on SH?

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT
Porting should not have any effect. So can we conclude m1/circles better than starhub?

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Porting should not have any effect. So can we conclude m1/circles better than starhub?
But the difference is too huge also le bah, more than double...

Btw, those of you who got the new sim only plans with number port over. How long does it take for the new sim card to take over the old number ah? I received the sim card yesterday evening, now my old sim card (m1) still working and new sim card (sh) still showing the temporary number...

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But the difference is too huge also le bah, more than double...

Btw, those of you who got the new sim only plans with number port over. How long does it take for the new sim card to take over the old number ah? I received the sim card yesterday evening, now my old sim card (m1) still working and new sim card (sh) still showing the temporary number...

The porting process should be at 2300 hours and would take a while to be completed.

Porting has nothing to do with data speed as it is only affect the mobile line number.

Your slow speed should be due to having not on 4G speed as someone pointed out you are on 3.5G compare to 4G on M1.
Try to restart the phone and get to 4G status then do the speedtest.

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The porting process should be at 2300 hours and would take a while to be completed.

Porting has nothing to do with data speed as it is only affect the mobile line number.

Your slow speed should be due to having not on 4G speed as someone pointed out you are on 3.5G compare to 4G on M1.
Try to restart the phone and get to 4G status then do the speedtest.
N7BYLgnl.png

I put this setting liao, both old and new sim card are on this configuration.

R68u3PVl.png

8GF4M8Hl.png

Starhub

MMc0bKEl.png

m76s2Jcl.png

M1

As the above comparison, SH seems to be underperforming on my phone... :(
As mentioned, same location, same phone, time about 3 minutes apart only...

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://i.imgur.com/N7BYLgnl.png

I put this setting liao, both old and new sim card are on this configuration.

https://i.imgur.com/R68u3PVl.png

https://i.imgur.com/8GF4M8Hl.png

Starhub

https://i.imgur.com/MMc0bKEl.png

https://i.imgur.com/m76s2Jcl.png

M1

As the above comparison, SH seems to be underperforming on my phone... :(
As mentioned, same location, same phone, time about 3 minutes apart only...

Using Redmi Note 4 dual SIM slot.. not sure if the 2nd slot able to use 4G/LTE or not together with 1st slot.

Try to deselect (offline) the M1 slot and let Starhub slot to make full use of 4G/LTE, if possible or not by showing 4G status.

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Using Redmi Note 4 dual SIM slot.. not sure if the 2nd slot able to use 4G/LTE or not together with 1st slot.

Try to deselect (offline) the M1 slot and let Starhub slot to make full use of 4G/LTE, if possible or not by showing 4G status.
I knew of this constraint too, so I tested both sim cards on the tray 1 which accepts LTE, tray 2 can't. Both I also shutdown the phone, insert sim card then boot up again to test...

The tests, I make sure tray 2 is empty also. So basically both sim cards are tested on same fairness.

Quite sian actually... Maybe I monitor see how for a month of two bah. If speed is bad, then just port to other telco. It's fine since sim only right. :p

Just for my curiosity though. What is an average download speed (not highest or lowest) I should be expecting on Starhub sim only plan ???

GReddy G9 RS

Reaction score
Wah, big difference leh. Yours is sim only plan??? Could it be because my number is still pending port over from m1 to starhub, thus the speed is greatly restricted???
Btw, phone models shouldn't make a difference bah, does it???

Mine is the latest sim only plan. Not porting, from starhub 3gb to starhub 13gb.

Sent from HUAWEI MATE 20 using GAGT

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I knew of this constraint too, so I tested both sim cards on the tray 1 which accepts LTE, tray 2 can't. Both I also shutdown the phone, insert sim card then boot up again to test...

The tests, I make sure tray 2 is empty also. So basically both sim cards are tested on same fairness.

Quite sian actually... Maybe I monitor see how for a month of two bah. If speed is bad, then just port to other telco. It's fine since sim only right. :p

Just for my curiosity though. What is an average download speed (not highest or lowest) I should be expecting on Starhub sim only plan ???

Speedtest is very much depend on locations and signal reception at that point.

For example during the past 2 hours testing on 4G/LTE i have download speed 97 ~ 44 range and upload speed 40 ~ 7 range on highest to lowest, using Samsung S7 Edge.

So try do test at different timing and locations.

Shadowz1984

Reaction score

Your current location might not have good signal for starhub 4g. Try go other areas. Travel abit before you test again. Like if your current location is north area, maybe try town area see the speed. If the speed is good, that means your area has poor starhub 4g network.

Sent from 大帅哥 using GAGT

Shadowz1984

Reaction score
If your company has CIS and the telco went down to your company for roadshow, it worths for you to take a look.

I got quite a good offer today. Sign up for starhub $50 plan. Got additional free 800 mins talk time. With CIS, monthly cost is $40. Purchase Mate 20 X at $79 and sold it off at $840. Divide the profit by 24 mths, monthly I am like paying less than $9 for 900 mins outgoing calls, 15gb data with unlimited weekends.

Got another deal for M1 CIS roadshow too. Lite+ plan with CIS is $25.50 monthly. They give 400 mins outgoing calls and 8gb data. Bought iphone xs (64gb) for $800 and sold for $1270. Divide the profit by 24 mths. Monthly cost for the plan is less than $6.

So actually if you have the opportunity, should take a look at such plans. It is definitely cheaper than the current sim-only plans.

Sent from 大帅哥 using GAGT

assiak71

Master Member
Reaction score
Before cis roadshow come, still need to select a no contract sim only plan to switch to

So go for a sim only which is different from the telco you will recontract eventually to enjoy potential port in promo?

*adiBOY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If your company has CIS and the telco went down to your company for roadshow, it worths for you to take a look.

I got quite a good offer today. Sign up for starhub $50 plan. Got additional free 800 mins talk time. With CIS, monthly cost is $40. Purchase Mate 20 X at $79 and sold it off at $840. Divide the profit by 24 mths, monthly I am like paying less than $9 for 900 mins outgoing calls, 15gb data with unlimited weekends.

Got another deal for M1 CIS roadshow too. Lite+ plan with CIS is $25.50 monthly. They give 400 mins outgoing calls and 8gb data. Bought iphone xs (64gb) for $800 and sold for $1270. Divide the profit by 24 mths. Monthly cost for the plan is less than $6.

So actually if you have the opportunity, should take a look at such plans. It is definitely cheaper than the current sim-only plans.

Sent from 大帅哥 using GAGT

Yes CIS roadshow offers better discount for sure. They have special offers just for that roadshow. I am still contemplating whether to invite them in for a roadshow for my company.

athenodorus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Sent from 大帅哥 using GAGT

U r still bounded by 2 years contract. I rather have the flexibility to switch telco anytime. Never know what’s other interesting plan telcos will come out with, esp when they are competing now.

Shadowz1984

Reaction score
U r still bounded by 2 years contract. I rather have the flexibility to switch telco anytime. Never know what’s other interesting plan telcos will come out with, esp when they are competing now.
Well, it's another option for all to consider. It's up to individual preference. But frankly speaking, even though the telcos are competing now. They are still maintaining the pricing at around $18 to $20. They just keep offering more data to attract people. Some people might not even need so much data. What I mentioned here is less than $10. If it fits your usage, why not? Having tied for 2 years for a plan less than $10 monthly is pretty good. I doubt those non-contract plans can go down to such pricing anytime soon.

Sent from 大帅哥 using GAGT

||||||||||

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well, it's another option for all to consider. It's up to individual preference. But frankly speaking, even though the telcos are competing now. They are still maintaining the pricing at around $18 to $20. They just keep offering more data to attract people. Some people might not even need so much data. What I mentioned here is less than $10. If it fits your usage, why not? Having tied for 2 years for a plan less than $10 monthly is pretty good. I doubt those non-contract plans can go down to such pricing anytime soon.

Sent from 大帅哥 using GAGT

How to check where is m1 cis roadshows?

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Received SH sim only delivered to me on Thursday evening, until now my number is not ported over yet. Faint...

Sadist4life

Reaction score
Is there a way to find out whether a company is eligible for CIS benefits without being an employee of that company?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Received SH sim only delivered to me on Thursday evening, until now my number is not ported over yet. Faint...

Looks like there may be possible on high porting process done these days with all those promotion on porting going on.

From what i know the porting process is only on weekdays and so you may have to wait till coming Monday.

Do take note that there would be SMS send to inform you when the process would take place and again when completed, if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.