Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info
Status
Not open for further replies.

bellahanna

Reaction score
I think AL may not physically own all the sim card. When we call them, it won't get through, but they know we called them.

Usually AL change numbers quite often, so those numbers may have already recycled to innocent people already.

True. My AL will informed abt their new numbers. haha..

delceer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hope more runners will be caught. some LS don't even bother even you told them police report had been made and they challenged you instead. go challenge in front of police officers laaa instead. if want their money back, go collect from police station. haha.

That money is not even from the Ah Long. They are doing business without capital.
You take $500 and give back $700 in 5 days ? :s11:
They keep rolling from debtors using different type of saving account.

Fakey1989

Reaction score
I myself own LS 10-11 LS . Even im in deep **** . Regret for what ive done. Never think of my family and siblings . Even till now they asking full payment by end month . Which is this month . So i feel like im not gonna pay them everything . After i calculate almost hit 15k. Each of them . But no matter what guys dont ever surrender your atm and token . Once they hold u regret . Quickly close that card and token . Report police . Dont become thier runners or advertising website . Not worth it . Can be charge for it . Even my IO say don't ever pay them back a single cent , cos once you pay them . The transaction is not thier account its all the debtors who cant pay them all . Once u transfer and get caught , consider money laundering . Thats what my IO say . So i rather listen . Even till now they keep asking when can pay all that . Im like a dumb **** replying to them . Really regret for this life ive made .

Please dont ever surrender anything to them . Let them splash or what . Apply for fire protection insurance at hdb or etiqa.com for information . I may not know well already but as what going to happen i let them come over. CCTV already installed using my cousin cheap cheap cctv . As long u can see everything . Its good

green72

Reaction score
Good job SPF!

25 March 2019 Man Arrested for Loanshark Harassment

The Police have arrested a 35-year-old man for his suspected involvement in loansharking activities.

On 28 February 2019 at about 7.12pm, the Police were alerted to a case of loanshark harassment where a debtor note was pasted on the gate of a residential unit at Blk 875 Yishun Street 81.

Through investigations and with the aid of images from police cameras, officers from Woodlands Police Division established the identity of the man and arrested him on 25 March 2019. Preliminary investigations revealed that he is believed to be involved in several other cases of loanshark harassment islandwide.

The man will be charged in court on 27 March 2019.

Under the Moneylenders Act (Revised Edition 2010), first time offenders found guilty of loanshark harassment shall be fined not less than $5,000 and not more than $50,000 with mandatory imprisonment of up to 5 years and mandatory caning of up to 6 strokes.

The Police have zero tolerance against loanshark harassment activities. Those who deliberately vandalise properties, cause annoyance and disruptions to public safety, peace and security, will be arrested and dealt with severely in accordance with the law.

Members of the public are advised to stay away from loansharks and not work with or assist the loansharks in any way. The public can call the Police at ‘999’ or the X-Ah Long hotline at 1800-924-5664 if they suspect or know of anyone who could be involved in loansharking activities.

Last edited:

green72

Reaction score
Good job SPF, one more.

27 March 2019 Man Arrested for Loanshark Harassment

The Police have arrested a 43-year-old man for suspected involvement in loansharking activities.

On 9 and 23 March 2019, the Police were alerted to two separate cases of loanshark harassments where the gates of two residential units along Beo Crescent were locked with bicycle locks. Debtor notes were also found pasted on the main doors of the units. Through extensive ground enquiries, officers from Tanglin Police Division established the identity of the man and arrested him on 27 March 2019. Preliminary investigations revealed that the man is believed to be involved in several other cases of loanshark harassment islandwide.

The man will be charged in court on 29 March 2019 under the Moneylenders Act 2010 (Revised Edition).

Under the Moneylenders Act (Revised Edition 2010), first time offenders found guilty of loanshark harassment shall be punished with imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years and shall also be liable to a fine of not less than $5,000 and not more than $50,000 with mandatory caning of not less than 3 and not more than 6 strokes.

The Police have zero tolerance for loanshark harassment activities. Those who deliberately vandalise properties, cause annoyance and disruptions to public safety, peace and security, will be dealt with severely in accordance with the law.

Members of the public are advised to stay away from loansharks and not work with or assist the loansharks in any way. The public can call the Police at ‘999’ or the X-Ah Long hotline at 1800-924-5664 if they suspect or know of anyone who could be involved in loansharking activities.

Jjlin1205

Reaction score
I did, now they tracking the location of the handphone number. To be honest, i just realized most of LS in Singapore its not from there. They based in Malaysia.
Mai gek kiang and create false news la..they operate in Singapore Malaysia Thailand and china..

delceer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Really good money if you think in another point of view. $15k X 10 LS = $150k free money when don't pay back after make police report and as advised by IO.

I myself own LS 10-11 LS . Even im in deep **** . Regret for what ive done. Never think of my family and siblings . Even till now they asking full payment by end month . Which is this month . So i feel like im not gonna pay them everything . After i calculate almost hit 15k. Each of them . But no matter what guys dont ever surrender your atm and token . Once they hold u regret . Quickly close that card and token . Report police . Dont become thier runners or advertising website . Not worth it . Can be charge for it . Even my IO say don't ever pay them back a single cent , cos once you pay them . The transaction is not thier account its all the debtors who cant pay them all . Once u transfer and get caught , consider money laundering . Thats what my IO say . So i rather listen . Even till now they keep asking when can pay all that . Im like a dumb **** replying to them . Really regret for this life ive made .

Please dont ever surrender anything to them . Let them splash or what . Apply for fire protection insurance at hdb or etiqa.com for information . I may not know well already but as what going to happen i let them come over. CCTV already installed using my cousin cheap cheap cctv . As long u can see everything . Its good

Jjlin1205

Reaction score
Really good money if you think in another point of view. $15k X 10 LS = $150k free money when don't pay back after make police report and as advised by IO.
They won't lend u 15k la...first timer 500-1k...repayment record good then they upgrade...

green72

Reaction score
Good work SPF ! Even pasting of debtor note at gate is enough to warrant an arrest.

Be Warn, runner wannabe! Not worth getting jailed, fined, caned and a criminal record.

28th Mar 2019 Man Arrested for Loanshark Harrassment

The Police have arrested a 29-year-old man for his suspected involvement in loansharking activities.

On 21 March 2019 at about 10.30pm, the Police were alerted to a case of loanshark harassment where a debtor note was pasted on the gate of a residential unit at Blk 800 Yishun Ring Road.

Through investigations and with the aid of images from police cameras, officers from Woodlands Police Division established the identity of the man and arrested him on 28 March 2019. Preliminary investigations revealed that he is believed to be involved in several other cases of loanshark harassment island wide.

The man will be charged in court on 30 March 2019.

Under the Moneylenders Act (Revised Edition 2010), first time offenders found guilty of loanshark harassment shall be punished with imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years and shall also be liable to a fine of not less than $5,000 and not more than $50,000 with mandatory caning of not less than 3 and not more than 6 strokes.

The Police have zero tolerance for loanshark harassment activities. Those who deliberately vandalise properties, cause annoyance and disruptions to public safety, peace and security, will be dealt with severely in accordance with the law.

green72

Reaction score
103 Arrested in Anti-Loansharking Blitz

The Police have arrested 70 men and 33 women, aged between 16 and 72, for their suspected involvement in loansharking activities in a three-day operation conducted from 25 to 27 March 2019.

Officers from the Criminal Investigation Department and seven Police land divisions conducted simultaneous raids at multiple locations island-wide, resulting in the arrests. Preliminary investigations revealed that 16 suspects are believed to have carried out Automated Teller Machine (ATM) transfers on behalf of loansharks. Six other suspects are believed to have carried out acts of loanshark harassment by splashing paint and scrawling loanshark-related graffiti on walls.

The remaining 81 suspects are believed to have opened bank accounts and given away their ATM cards and Personal Identification Numbers to loansharks to facilitate their unlicensed moneylending businesses. Investigations against all the suspects are ongoing.

Opening a bank account, distributing pamphlets, acting as a look-out, being a runner or acting as a harasser for loansharks are criminal activities that have serious consequences, such as a hefty fine, jail term and even caning. The Police will take tough enforcement action against those involved in the loansharking business, regardless of their roles, and they will face the full brunt of the law.

Under the Moneylenders’ Act (Revised Edition 2010), when a bank account or ATM card of any person is used to facilitate moneylending by an unlicensed moneylender, that person is presumed to have assisted in the business of unlicensed moneylending.

• First-time offenders found guilty of carrying on or assisting in a business of unlicensed moneylending may be fined between $30,000 and $300,000, be imprisoned for a term of up to four years and shall also be liable to be punished with caning of up to six strokes.

• First-time offenders found guilty of acting on behalf of an unlicensed moneylender, committing or attempting to commit any acts of harassment shall be punished with imprisonment for a term of up to five years, a fine of between $5,000 and $50,000, and shall also be liable to be punished with caning between three and six strokes.

Loansharks are increasingly sending unsolicited loan advertisements via text messages or online platforms. Members of the public are reminded not to reply or respond to such advertisements, and report the number as spam. The public can call the Police at ‘999’ or the X-Ah Long hotline at 1800-924-5664 if they suspect or know of anyone who could be involved in loansharking activities.

As long as victims report, SPF will deal with them. Trust the SPF. Don't pay and report.

green72

Reaction score

Loansharks are increasingly sending unsolicited loan advertisements via text messages or online platforms.
Members of the public are reminded not to reply or respond to such advertisements, and report the number as spam. The public can call the Police at ‘999’ or the X-Ah Long hotline at 1800-924-5664 if they suspect or know of anyone who could be involved in loansharking activities.

I got 7 such SMS just yesterday alone and already 1 SMS today. Seems they are trying hard. One group gets shutdown, another will emerge. If would-be victims see this thread early, more will report and the quicker another "cell" can be shutdown.

As it usually starts with such SMS.Must nip the problem in the bud.

I say the SPF, Govt and telcos need to collaborate to stop UMLs adverts soon.I can only suggest these numbers be suspended for investigations after being flagged. Report thru i-witness portal is one way.

I hope none who are victims here are those arrested recently. If they are, I'm NOT sorry for them, paying dues for crimes is worst than paying the UMLs.

Report UML SMS : i-witness.

Last edited:

green72

Reaction score
I'm not surprise the narrative of this documentary seems to sensationalise UML harassments by combining cases,video clips and images in Malaysia and Singapore to strike fear.

But fear not, if victims man up and refuse to obey or pay the UMLs, stop any form of contacts and importantly Report to Police, soon the harassment will end.

In Singapore, house burning is only scorch main door. Our HDB main door is usually fire-rated.

Importantly, don't surrender and become a runner.

Report UML SMS : i-witness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.