Android TV Box

twist_shout

Master Member
Reaction score
hi guys, just wondering if anyone knows any surround sound (5.1) capable box besides Mi Box and Nvidia Shield?
Preferably those china ones like EVPAD or something.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi guys, just wondering if anyone knows any surround sound (5.1) capable box besides Mi Box and Nvidia Shield?
Preferably those china ones like EVPAD or something.

Many boxes are capable of 5.1 Surround Sound. Some are capable of Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound. If you need Dolby, Mi Box S is one of the cheapest.

Ref: Chigz Tech TV Box Chart 2019. For reference only.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...1vt7Gke8bthPYqnG0tMLeSDrIKI/edit?usp=drivesdk

More charts in his website.
http://chigztech.com/charts.html

I do not have 5.1 capable setup so I do not know how well the normal 5.1 surround sound works with my generic boxes.

BTW, EVPAD and UBOX are banned in mainland China as far as I know because of the adult channels. So they may not be considered as typical China boxes.

Last edited:

twist_shout

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi xiaofan, appreciate your prompt response.

I am using EVPAD but seems that it doesn't supports surround. Not much settings in the sound menu.

I only know Netflix and google movies have surround sound support.

So I'm looking for more source be it paid or free. Jus wanna know if anyone here know any China drama or movie source has surround support

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi xiaofan, appreciate your prompt response.

I am using EVPAD but seems that it doesn't supports surround. Not much settings in the sound menu.

I only know Netflix and google movies have surround sound support.

So I'm looking for more source be it paid or free. Jus wanna know if anyone here know any China drama or movie source has surround support

It is said that EVPad 3/3S/3Max have Dolby Audio support for surround sound.

I am paying for Youku VIP and it is said that it does have Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos for VIP users on certain content.

Take note you need to pay for 酷喵VIP on TV boxes.

However I am not so sure what contents are supporting Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

If you need both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos support on your device, you have very limited choice on Android TV Boxes, in fact Mi Box S does not have them and you have to go to Nvidia Shield TV. Or probably Apple TV.

Ref:
https://h5.vip.youku.com/privilege_list?spm=a2h5z.9703284.8181925.4&anchor=dbyy

杜比影音
美轮美奂,极致体验

面向对象
优酷VIP会员、酷喵VIP会员

特权介绍
优酷 SDR+:
优酷SDR+、画质重生技术的应用,充分提升视频图像层次感、通透性,使视频呈现出绚丽的色彩和鲜明的对比度,让您享受到美轮美奂的精彩画面。

杜比影音:
杜比致力于推进视频行业画面、音效的全面革新,优酷采用杜比视界(Dolby Vision)、杜比全景声(Dolby Atmos)技术,为您带来更全面而丰富的色彩画面和全方位震撼的灵动音效,为娱乐体验带来变革。(用户设备及版本不支持的除外)。

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is said that Tencent Video also support Dolby Vision and Dollby Atmos on certain content. Not so sure about which content and on which device though.

Same goes to iQiyi. It is said certain contents support Dolby Atmos as well.

For HDR and Dolby Audio, I believe all these top three online video platforms in China (Tencent Video 腾讯视频,iQiyi 爱奇艺视频 and Youku 优酷视频) will suppprt, and quite some contents will support as long as your device support them.

For Dolby Vision and/or Dolby Atmos, I believe not many contents will support.

Just take note you need VPN for Tencent Video and iQiyi. For Youku you do not need VPN once you pay for VIP.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I myself do not have high requirements for Audio/Video quality. For example I am happy with 1080p Video and my TV and monitor are 1080p only. All my speakers are either cheap 2.1 Creative speaker or sub S$100 Bluetooth speakers from Creative again.

Still I can see people go for higher end features like 4k, HDR, Dolby Vision on the video side and then Dolby Audio, DTS, Dolby Atmos, on the audio side.

Content providers like US based Netflix, Apple, Amazon Prime Video, Vudu, China based Tencent Video, iQiyi Video, Youku Video, Japan based Rakuten, etc, start to offer content in Dolby Vision and/or Dolby Atmos.

https://www.mesalliance.org/2018/07...increased-atmos-vision-momentum-in-q3-mesa-2/

Apple TV 4k seems to be one of the leading streaming device supporting both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. And Apple iTune store offers the contents. Future Apple streaming service may offer such contents as well.

Microsoft XBox One also supports both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

On the Android TV boxes side, Nvidia Shield TV is the king but it will not get Dolby Vision support. And even though it supports Dolby Atmos but the Netflix app on Nvidia Shield TV does not support Dolby Atmos.

Amazon Fire TV Stick 4k is the best in this aspect among Android TV boxes, supporting 4K HDR10+, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. It does not support DTS though.
https://androidpctv.com/review-amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k/

Mi Box S supports 4K HDR 10, Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1, no Dolby Vision, no Dolby Atmos.
https://androidpctv.com/review-xiaomi-mi-box-s/

Last edited:

twist_shout

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Xiaofan,

I don't need dolby vision and Atmos. Jus Dolby digital 5.1 or DTS I'm thankful.

How do you register and pay for 酷喵 and Youku VIP? I thought only China credit card can? And also a lot of these China paid contents are region locked?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Xiaofan,

How do you register and pay for 酷喵 and Youku VIP? I thought only China credit card can? And also a lot of these China paid contents are region locked?

If you only need DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1, Mi Box S is a good choice. None of the no brand device, including Beelink and Tanix, will have certified Dolby Digital. Minix NEO U9-H is said to have Dolby Digital 5.1 but it is double the cost of Mi Box S.

You can register as a member for Youku/酷喵 using SG Mobile number. I am doing that myself. You can try without paying first with free Transocks Ads supported VPN, up to 720p only for non-VIP. Once you pay for the VIP, you do not need VPN for Youku/酷喵, they do prompt you to switch to overseas version from time to time. I just ignore it.

You do need VPN for Tencent Video and iQiyi Video, even after you pay for the VPN. You also need a China mobile number for iQiyi TV version aka 银河奇异果.

As for payment, easiest is to pay through Wechat Wallet or Alipay if you are using Android; or iOS App Store in-app purchase, if you have an iOS device.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Xiaofan,

OK you say Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1, then you may have more choices depending on your requirement. The following two boxes may not officially support Dolby Digital (not certified) but they seem to work similar to Mi Box S.

https://androidpctv.com/review-tanix-tx5-max/
I have this Tanix TX5 Max box and it is pretty decent for its price.

The above review does say it supports Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 pass through via HDMI and Optical (SPDIF) but not more advanced ones.

https://androidpctv.com/review-beelink-gt1-mini/
Similar results for Beelink GT1 Mini, another good S905X2 based generic Android TV box, Beelink is more famous brand than Tanix and a bit more expensive but not much.

Last edited:

Froggyman

Reaction score
Received the Beelink GT1 Mini

jQ9Lrq1.jpg

Its very small and compact
0sk3eVD.jpg

Can share the price and link that you brought from?
Any comment of this TV box after your usage?
Thanks.

May want to get this or the Tanix tx5 max.... Still pondering over this two:D

tbs

Reaction score
I have xiaomi tv box mi s. Used to be able to install exodus live tv but now, i can install byt doesnt load. My tablet works well so it cannot be internet connection. Reinstalled twice but cannot load.

Anyone has any solutions to this?

If not, any recommended tv box? Mainly looking at tvbs then i will download exodus live tv as supplement

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can share the price and link that you brought from?
Any comment of this TV box after your usage?
Thanks.

May want to get this or the Tanix tx5 max.... Still pondering over this two:D

Reference price is RMB400 from Taobao for Beelink GT1 Mini 4GB/32GB version versus RMB290 for Tanix TX5 Max 4GB/32GB version, not adding GST and shipping. Very few shops in Taobao are selling these two boxes so the price is only for reference. Price difference will be roughly S$20.

Both should be good if you do not need Netflix and Chromecast function. Performance should be similar.

Tanix TX5 Max will win in WiFi speed and price.

Beelink GT1 Mini will win in the remote and brand.

As for the launcher, personally I do not quite like the Tanix Alice launcher. So far the one in Tanix TX5 Max is not too bad but I am afraid that it will be upgraded to similar to version in Tanix TX6 with status bar (good) and notification area on the top (bad).

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have xiaomi tv box mi s. Used to be able to install exodus live tv but now, i can install byt doesnt load. My tablet works well so it cannot be internet connection. Reinstalled twice but cannot load.

Anyone has any solutions to this?

If not, any recommended tv box? Mainly looking at tvbs then i will download exodus live tv as supplement

Mi Box S specific questions may be better answered in its official thread.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...-discussion-ii-[consolidated]-5537957-38.html

Anyway I do not know about this app before but I just Google it and as a test I tried it on my phone. I can tell you that it does not load either on my Huawei P20 Android 9 phone.

To me looks like your Mi Box S is not the issue but the app. I suspect this app may be blocked by ISP but that can not explain why your tablet works. You can try it on your other Android device as well to see if that makes a difference.

Mi Box S is one of the best boxes for now. You can buy a new box (eg S905X2 box like Beelink GT1 Mini or Tanix TX5 Max) to supplement it if you want but you may want to sort out your app issue first. Buying a new box may not help.

Edit to add: the app can not load on my Tanix TX5 Max Android 8.1 TV box either. Probably your tablet is running an old version.

Last edited:

Froggyman

Reaction score
Reference price is RMB400 from Taobao for Beelink GT1 Mini 4GB/32GB version versus RMB290 for Tanix TX5 Max 4GB/32GB version, not adding GST and shipping. Very few shops in Taobao are selling these two boxes so the price is only for reference. Price difference will be roughly S$20.

Both should be good if you do not need Netflix and Chromecast function. Performance should be similar.

Tanix TX5 Max will win in WiFi speed and price.

Beelink GT1 Mini will win in the remote and brand.

As for the launcher, personally I do not quite like the Tanix Alice launcher. So far the one in Tanix TX5 Max is not too bad but I am afraid that it will be upgraded to similar to version in Tanix TX6 with status bar (good) and notification area on the top (bad).

Xiaofan... Thanks for the info.
Does the Tanix TX5 remote controller come with USB dongle or it is link internally to the thx box?( beelink GT 1 mini is with USB dongle)
I will be adding a wireless mouse with USB dongle which mean it will take up a USB slot place.

Kwein

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tanix TX 5 doesn't come with airmouse
I bought seperately

Does the Tanix TX5 remote controller come with USB dongle or it is link internally to the thx box?( beelink GT 1 mini is with USB dongle)
I will be adding a wireless mouse with USB dongle which mean it will take up a USB slot place.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

The Tanix TX5 Max remote is just an cheap IR remote. No USB dongle at all. That is why I say Beelink wins in the remote side.

If you want to add a USB mouse, you can use the USB 2.0 port for the mouse, leave the USB 3.0 port for other usage like a USB Flash Storage.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
One of the possible alternatives to Android TV box is Apple TV 4K, especially if you are into Apple Eco system or like to have Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos with the streaming services like Netflix. It also has support for many apps and games.

It only supports 1080p on YouTube only.

Ref: refer to review here
https://youtu.be/vDWOndOPRfQ

Discussion in Hardwarezone forum.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/apple-clinic-5/apple-tv-4-a-5209888-54.html

Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K is also running Android. It is a good alternative to Mi Box S as well if you do not need Chromecast feature. It has the advantage of Dolby Vision support.
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k-review/

Review: in US it competes with Roku Streaming Stick Plus.
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/roku-streaming-stick-plus-review/

Roku does not run Android but its own apps. No point using Roku in Singapore.

Last edited:

tbs

Reaction score
Thanks! No use buying a new box then
What a waste. The app is really good.

Mi Box S specific questions may be better answered in its official thread.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...-discussion-ii-[consolidated]-5537957-38.html

Anyway I do not know about this app before but I just Google it and as a test I tried it on my phone. I can tell you that it does not load either on my Huawei P20 Android 9 phone.

To me looks like your Mi Box S is not the issue but the app. I suspect this app may be blocked by ISP but that can not explain why your tablet works. You can try it on your other Android device as well to see if that makes a difference.

Mi Box S is one of the best boxes for now. You can buy a new box (eg S905X2 box like Beelink GT1 Mini or Tanix TX5 Max) to supplement it if you want but you may want to sort out your app issue first. Buying a new box may not help.

Edit to add: the app can not load on my Tanix TX5 Max Android 8.1 TV box either. Probably your tablet is running an old version.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.