US help.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I’m heading solo to nyc,dc,philly,boston first wk April for 2 weeks. Gonna Amtrak between them and take JetBlue from Boston to philly. Tshirt+fleece+windbreaker enough for the weather?

It’s enough for me, you may have to check if it gets rainy. Spring showers.
This year feels warmer than last yr for me

MrConfused

Reaction score
Gonna be in New York/DC/Phi/Boston from late June to Mid July. How's the weather? Is it the same as Singapore?:(

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am planning for a NYC trip in end Nov to early Dec, i have about 14 days. How should I plan my road trip and is there any must go attractions in the area? Is 14 days too long to stay in NYC?

Yes. Oh god yes. I think four days is about right in NYC unless you’re a massive museum junkie.

I am considering to go to Washington, Miami beaches, Orlando, probably Canada for Niagara falls?

OK, thoughts...
1) Niagara Falls is a (long) day trip from NYC. You should do it that way.
2) Washington is worth a couple days at least, and you can catch the train from NYC to DC.
3) Then fly to Orlando
4) Then fly to Miami

I’d personally skip Orlando unless you’re REALLY desperate to go to Disneyworld. Miami’s a lot more interesting (the Cuban district around Calle Ocho is a whole day’s worth by itself; I highly recommend one of the food-based walking tours), and you can drive from Miami down to Key West over the Overseas Highway, which is one of the top three or four driving roads in the USA.

ralphlauren

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes. Oh god yes. I think four days is about right in NYC unless you’re a massive museum junkie.

OK, thoughts...
1) Niagara Falls is a (long) day trip from NYC. You should do it that way.
2) Washington is worth a couple days at least, and you can catch the train from NYC to DC.
3) Then fly to Orlando
4) Then fly to Miami

I’d personally skip Orlando unless you’re REALLY desperate to go to Disneyworld. Miami’s a lot more interesting (the Cuban district around Calle Ocho is a whole day’s worth by itself; I highly recommend one of the food-based walking tours), and you can drive from Miami down to Key West over the Overseas Highway, which is one of the top three or four driving roads in the USA.

Thank you for the reply. Your tips are valueable as always. Last year I asked a lot of questions about SFO, Vegas and LA and was thankful that you have them answered and made my trip so memorable.

For NYC, Washington DC, Orlando, Miami is renting a car recommended? I drove about 2500km from SFO ->Yosemite -> Death Valley -> vegas -> Grand Canyon -> LA and kinda of enjoy the freedom and save some $$ on taking domestic flights.

Carbine90

Reaction score
So I think you should shuffle that a bit:
1) Less time in Orlando, more time in San Francisco. Look, Orlando's pretty great, but 3-4 days in Disneyland is going to be plenty. You'll get a lot more out of San Francisco—museums! Hiking! Golden Gate! Also you'll want time in SF to chill out and get over the jetlag.

2) Skip Vegas. I do love Vegas but it's basically Orlando but for grownups. On that note you're doing a lot of theme parks; are you travelling with kids?

3) Less time in NYC, more time in Washington. A week in NYC is a surprisingly long time, and you might struggle to fill it, but there's plenty to do in Washington.

4) In Los Angeles: make sure you do the Warner Bros studio tour. It's right near Universal, so you can do Warner in the morning and Universal Studios in the afternoon. And Hollywood kind of sucks; West Hollywood is the fun part of town. Stay there instead.

If you've only got two days in each place, you're only going to have one day of actual sightseeing time once you factor in travel time.

hey sorry for the late reply!

theres like 4 of us raging 29-34years old , and my parents. we like to do some sight seeing and quite interested to just visit those famous places that we always see in the movies. like the hollywood sign, statue of liberty etc.
heard that orlando have the biggest and incredibly fun Universal studio and disneyworld there.

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. Your tips are valueable as always. Last year I asked a lot of questions about SFO, Vegas and LA and was thankful that you have them answered and made my trip so memorable.

For NYC, Washington DC, Orlando, Miami is renting a car recommended? I drove about 2500km from SFO ->Yosemite -> Death Valley -> vegas -> Grand Canyon -> LA and kinda of enjoy the freedom and save some $$ on taking domestic flights.

Oooh. I think it might be a bit cramped in terms of time, but you could do it. I’d probably take the train to DC and rent the car from there, but that should be a pretty easy drive down I-95. If you rent a car in NYC it’s going to be an absolute ******* to drive, park, etc etc etc.

MrConfused

Reaction score
I would be flying into Newark on 27th June and flying out from Newark on 11th (morning flight) July. This trip would be purely East Coast and I'm thinking of visiting NY, DC, Philly and Boston.

Given that my trip coincides with US Independence Day, I would wish to be in DC to see the parades. In my mind, I'm thinking of spending around 5/6 days in NY, 2/3 days in Philly, 4/5 days in DC and 3 days in Boston.

What would be the best sequence of visiting the cities? NY --> Philly --> DC --> Boston --> NY? The journey from DC to Boston on train is pretty long and I'm not really keen to take a plane.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U just doing the north eastern area. Boston is why out of u take train from DC to Boston you have to pass by NYC. I would fly but if u not keen it’s really your choice. Fly, train, bus, drive your pick

faithgurl

Reaction score
Hi,

This is the 1st time for us to head USA for our vacation so there’s pretty much research to be done. Need to seek some help fm you guys as I can’t seems to find much information on the laundry service available in San Francisco. Can anyone advise which part of SFO is convenient and suitable for families with kids aged 10 & 8? In fact, I’m actually looking for a place which has a nearby wash & fold service as it seems that most hotels don’t come with coin-operated laundry. I understand that hotels do provide paid laundry service but it’s way too expensive. Looking at somewhere near Union Square as I have read up that it’s one of the shopping spots. If there’s any good recommendations, please so advise. Thanks so much!

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This is the 1st time for us to head USA for our vacation so there’s pretty much research to be done. Need to seek some help fm you guys as I can’t seems to find much information on the laundry service available in San Francisco. Can anyone advise which part of SFO is convenient and suitable for families with kids aged 10 & 8? In fact, I’m actually looking for a place which has a nearby wash & fold service as it seems that most hotels don’t come with coin-operated laundry. I understand that hotels do provide paid laundry service but it’s way too expensive. Looking at somewhere near Union Square as I have read up that it’s one of the shopping spots. If there’s any good recommendations, please so advise. Thanks so much!

What’s your budget? Those Hilton or Marriott brands usually has laundry service. I think Hyatt and best western brands too. Get on their home website it will clearly indicate else email hotel and ask

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k11502556-Union_Square_hotel_with_self_service_coin_laundry-San_Francisco_California.html

SFO? U mean by the airport or u really mean downtown SF?

Last edited:

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

A lot of hotels - not so much the high-end ones - will absolutely have coin-op laundries, and also there's a whole lot of wash-and-fold places in downtown SF. Off the top of my head there's a few around Nob Hill and Union Square, and in the downtown area as well. I'd pick the hotel you like first, and then find a convenient wash-and-fold or coin-op laundry afterward.

faithgurl

Reaction score
Hi Shiny Things & Patryn33,

Thanks so much for sharing. Oh didn’t know that most hotels do provide coin operated laundry in downtown San Francisco. My budget roughly around $200 /nite. In fact, i have actually emailed Marriott on Westin Union Square but there’s no reply from them so far. Any hotels that you guys can recommend? Not really into any brands. Just one that is convenient and maybe near union square. Thks!

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Usd$200 a nite for 4 to a room right?
Rate vary a lot depending on dates

Like May 1st week rates
San Francisco Marriott union square is over usd$600 a nite
Courtyard union square also usd$500 and up
Courtyard fisherman wharf also like usd$400 and up

This has laundry on site
https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/wyndham-vacations/san-francisco-california/wyndham-canterbury-at-san-francisco/overview?brand_id=ALL&checkInDate=5/7/2019&checkOutDate=5/8/2019&useWRPoints=false&children=2&childAge=10-8&adults=2&rooms=1&radius=25&sessionId=1554495719&referringBrand=ALL

Last edited:

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Shiny Things & Patryn33,

Thanks so much for sharing. Oh didn’t know that most hotels do provide coin operated laundry in downtown San Francisco. My budget roughly around $200 /nite.

Please, please, please, everyone, if you're asking for a hotel recommendation: you need to give EXACT DATES. Hotel rates, especially in big cities, can swing by hundreds of dollars from night to night depending on demand.

belgarathc

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am planning for a Hawaii trip end of this year with wife and family - all adults.

Wonder if anybody has any comments and suggestions to improve it?

Currently, I am giving around 5 days each to O'ahu, Hawai'i and Maui.

Here is the brief itinerary:

24-Nov Sat - Arrival at Honolulu, O'ahu
24-Nov Sun - O'ahu (Capital Island) Day 1
25-Nov Mon - O'ahu (Capital Island) Day 2
26-Nov Tue - Fly to Kailua, Hawai'i (Big Island) Day 1
27-Nov Wed - Hawai'i (Big Island) Day 2
28-Nov Thu - Hawai'i (Big Island) Day 3 - Thanksgiving Day
29-Nov Fri - Hawai'i (Big Island) Day 4 - Black Friday
30-Nov Sat - Hawai'i (Big Island) Day 5
1-Dec Sun - Fly to Kalului, Maui Island - Day 1
2-Dec Mon - Maui Island - Day 2
3-Dec Tue - Maui Island - Day 3
4-Dec Wed - Maui Island - Day 4
5-Dec Thu - Maui Island - Day 5
6-Dec Fri - Fly to O'ahu (Capital Island) Day 3
7-Dec Sat - O'ahu (Capital Island) Day 4 - Honolulu Race Pack Collection
8-Dec Sun - O'ahu (Capital Island) Day 5 - Run/Walk Honolulu Marathon
9-Dec Mon - Depart O'ahu (Capital Island)
11-Dec Wed - Reach SG

Sights/Activities shortlisted for O'ahu
- Pearl Harbour
- Wakiki Beach, Diamond Head hike
- Iolani Palace (to learn about the history of Hawaii)
- Manoa Falls Trail
- Waikele Outlet mall (register for waikele outlet membership)
- Ala Moana Center (Hawaii's biggest mall)
- Tropical Farms (Macadamia nuts)
- Run the Honolulu Marathon

Sights/Activities shortlisted for Hawai'i
1) Haiwai'I Volcanoes National Park
- Halema'uma'u Crater, A Lake of Fire
- Puna
- Sunrise Lava Tour (Epic Lava Tours)
2) Mauna Kea - Highest Peak, Hike Up (Jeep option available), Stargazing (potential altitude sickness)
3) Waipi'o Valley - Not sure if it is that scenic
4) Night Diving and Snorkeling with Mantas (we can only snorkel though, not sure if still can see the Mantas)
5) Cute little town of Hilo

Sights/Activities shortlisted for Maui

1) Haleakala National Park
- Keonehe'ehe'e aka Sliding Sands Trail
- Summit for sunrise
- Stargazing
2) Outlets of Maui
3) Boat tours to Lana'i island
4) Road to Hana
5) Submarine tours (Atlantis Submarines Maui)

Ideally, we want to keep to USD 200 for each room a night. Currently, it seem possible with the rates we see at Agoda. Of course, we would like to book soon considering the Marathon and Thanksgiving.

Another thing that worries me a little is that it is wetter end Nov/Early Dec and it may affect the outdoor activities. Anybody has experience travelling during this period?

We are thinking of self-driving only in Hawai'i and Maui but not O'ahu where we will take it easier and maybe join day tours.

Appreciate any help, thanks!

celtosaxon

Reaction score
@balgarathc

I did almost exactly the same itinerary to Hawaii as you are planning many years ago... Oahu-Maui-Big Island. One regret was going to the Big Island instead of Kauai - unless you really want to pay for helicopter rides to see the live volcano or have a fascination with volcanos, this is actually one of the least attractive islands overall - so you may want to consider exchanging for Kauai instead.

One thing I do recommend is the Polynesian Cultural Center show on Oahu... the food isn’t great but the performance is top notch - and I’m usually not impressed with these sorts of things. They have highly skilled performers from all over Polynesia and it’s all live.

I’ve been back to Hawaii a few times since and have stuck to Oahu because it really has most everything you would want... but you have to explore the whole island. Be sure you check out (or even stay in) Makaha in the far Northwest of Oahu and hike to Kaena Point.

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oops...so sorry. Our intended stay is in Dec roughly ard 20 to 25 Dec. Thks!

Oh, that's perfect - those dates are super cheap. If you really wanted to lash out, you can get the Four Seasons for $350/nt.

San Francisco is difficult because of all the conventions that occasionally blast in and take up every hotel room in downtown, on random days in April or September or October. But December is almost always quiet. For those dates (20-25 Dec) you can basically have your pick: on Expedia I'm seeing the Westin St Francis for about $160/nt, and really if the Westin is an option you should absolutely go for it. If you want something a little quieter, the Park Central over on Third Street is $134/nt, which is an absolute steal.

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am planning for a Hawaii trip end of this year with wife and family - all adults.

Oh dude, happy to help. Hawaii is MY JAM.

I'm guessing the Honolulu Marathon dates are kind of locked in, so let's work around that.

I'll be honest: I'm not a huge fan of Oahu! The North Shore is kinda nice; hiking Diamond Head is pretty (though if you're talking about hiking Sliding Sands, Diamond Head won't be challenging at all); and the Polynesian Cultural Center is cool, but... it's crowded, it's tough to get around, and Waikiki isn't really that great a beach!

So I'm going to recommend going straight to the Big Island, and giving yourself an extra day there and on Maui, because there's plenty to do on each side of the Big Island (I notice you're not explicitly visiting Hilo, which, trust me, would be a big loss).

How about this:

1) Day 1: arrive in Honolulu; fly straight to Hilo (ITO). Check in to your hotel and chill out. Maybe head to the farmers' market downtown for some amazing fresh fruit and veggies. Spend a few days in Hilo; spend a day up at the volcano; relax and decompress. If you're really feeling ambitious, you can head up to the observatories on top of Mauna Kea and see some stars (pack warm, though: it can snow up there!).

2) Day 3 or 4: Do a leisurely drive over to Kailua-Kona. You can go one of three ways, but I really, really love the south road through Na'alehu, for a few reasons:
  • You can stop at the Punalu'u Bake Shop and pick up some amazing Hawaiian sweet bread;
  • Stop by the Ka'u Coffee Mill; go for a tour and pick up some coffee, grown and roasted right there on the farm;
  • If you've got time for a side trip, there are the gorgeous green and black sand beaches not far south of Na'alehu, right near the southernmost point in all of the USA. Totally worth a side trip.

Leave a full day for this drive, I promise you won't regret it. It's just so chill... you can sit in the lil' bake shop in Na'alehu, look out over the greenery, and fantasise about packing it all in, buying a little apartment down here where it's always quiet and relaxed and warm and just going surfing every day and maybe catching up on all those books you've been meaning to read... no? Just me? Anyway.

3) Spend a couple of days in Kailua-Kona. I'm not as much a fan of this side of the island, but it has its moments; the drive all the way up to Hawi is nice if you're looking for a day trip; you can snorkel with manta rays off the Sheraton Keauhou; and there are some decent beaches as well. But really, what you're looking forward to is...

4) Fly from Kona airport (KOA) to Maui-Kahului (OGG). Maui is absolutely the best island. I usually recommend staying over on the west side around Ka'anapali, because the snorkeling's amazing (if you stay at the Westin Maui you can literally walk in right off the beach and start snorkeling. There are turtles everywhere!) and it's close to Lahaina.

You can:
* Drive the Road to Hana. It's an all-day thing, but it's so worth it.
* Visit some farms in the upcountry. There are some farms that'll even cook you lunch on-site using ingredients freshly plucked from the ground.
* Visit Lahaina, which is a very cool little town;
* Do a luau; they're better here than in Oahu, is my personal take.

5) Fly from Kahului to Honolulu. Give yourself a day of prep; run the race; recover. Have fun!

- Ala Moana Center (Hawaii's biggest mall)

It's a mall. There's really nothing special there. The shopping's better in Lahaina anyway. (see below re: outlets of Maui).

- Tropical Farms (Macadamia nuts)

The farms are better in Maui, trust me on this.

Sights/Activities shortlisted for Hawai'i
1) Haiwai'I Volcanoes National Park

I'm going to say don't do the sunrise lava tour. Unless you get lucky and the flow changes, there's not a lot of flow in the park at the moment, and what flow there is is a hell of a long hike to get to.

2) Mauna Kea - Highest Peak, Hike Up (Jeep option available), Stargazing (potential altitude sickness)

Jesus, hiking up Mauna Kea? I didn't even know you could do that! But if you're in the sort of shape that can run marathons, you won't have trouble with altitude sickness.

3) Waipi'o Valley - Not sure if it is that scenic
4) Night Diving and Snorkeling with Mantas (we can only snorkel though, not sure if still can see the Mantas)

You absolutely can, I've done this before. The mantas come to you.

1) Haleakala National Park
- Keonehe'ehe'e aka Sliding Sands Trail
- Summit for sunrise
- Stargazing

Sunrise at Haleakala is overrated. You'll be up at two in the morning or thereabouts, and then when it's done you'll have to get back down and figure out the rest of your day.

A better bet for Haleakala is the bike ride downhill! I've used Bike Maui before, and they were perfectly good; they drive you up to the summit, let you wander around and explore, then drop you off just outside the national park entrance and let you ride back down. The self-guided tour is a good bet, because there's plenty of amazing places to stop for lunch on the way back down. Also, the tour starts at 8am, so you don't have to get up at like two in the morning and mess with your sleep schedule.

3) Boat tours to Lana'i island
5) Submarine tours (Atlantis Submarines Maui)

Can I recommend squishing these two together? Trilogy Tours (which leaves out of Lahaina, so it's convenient if you're staying in Kaanapali) will, I think, let you do both. They offer snorkeling tours to Lanai, with an island bus tour as well.

4) Road to Hana

Oh yeah, definitely. Stop over in Pa'ia on the way out to pick up some snacks, and on the way back for some pizza at Flatbread Pizza Co.

It's worth going beyond Hana to the back side of Haleakala National Park, because there's an amazing hike up into the hills (the Pipiwai Trail) out there.

And keep an eye out on the road for Coconut Glen's for some superb coconut ice-cream not far from Hana itself.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.