iPhone Screentime issues (Parental Control)

Techgroup

Reaction score
I am holding XS Max and I am using the screentime function to control my child’s usage on her iphone 7plus. The issue is everytime I set the all the things properly on my XS max to limit the certain things on my child’s iPhone, the settings would be gone within the next an hour or so when I checked and I have to re-set those again. Or after the downtime has kicked in, I am surprised my child could still excess some of her apps. It’s fustrating to keep repeating doing those settings. Not sure if any of you is experiencing the same as me. Tried to do a search on the forum and can’t find any similar post.

argentinafa

Master Member
Reaction score
I am holding XS Max and I am using the screentime function to control my child’s usage on her iphone 7plus. The issue is everytime I set the all the things properly on my XS max to limit the certain things on my child’s iPhone, the settings would be gone within the next an hour or so when I checked and I have to re-set those again. Or after the downtime has kicked in, I am surprised my child could still excess some of her apps. It’s fustrating to keep repeating doing those settings. Not sure if any of you is experiencing the same as me. Tried to do a search on the forum and can’t find any similar post.

For me, I use the function screen time and set the screen time directly on my daughter’s iPhone. With a 4 digit numerical password of which she doesn’t know. Can customise days.

So it’s like Sun to Thu it will auto block all apps including social media apps (youngsters like to use ig fb youtube viu etc) at downtime 10pm. 6am will auto unlock. Of coz emergency apps like phone, WhatsApp, clock still can use. I also calculated the amount of time when she dismissed from sch till bedtime 10pm. So I set a stipulated hours usable too I.e. 5 hours from sun-thu. After 5 hours of usage or 10pm (whichever is earlier), phone will auto block. She has no choice but to do hw or pack bag.

Fri and sat I customised it to longer hours and later shutdown downtime for her to unwind.

maxheadroom

Reaction score
Face the same thing. I did a reset, remove & redo for my boy iphone and ipad for the restriction. But within a few days, he been playing games, seeing youtube beyond the restricted hours. I already give up, but using the router policy.

gt_5454

Master Member
Reaction score
Mine has been working since day 1.
Set 1 hour limit for YouTube and 1.5 hours for all apps.
Enabled some mission critical apps as always enabled.

So far so good both wife and I are able to access it.
Not sure why it isn’t working for some of you.

Techgroup

Reaction score
For me, I use the function screen time and set the screen time directly on my daughter’s iPhone. With a 4 digit numerical password of which she doesn’t know. Can customise days.

So it’s like Sun to Thu it will auto block all apps including social media apps (youngsters like to use ig fb youtube viu etc) at downtime 10pm. 6am will auto unlock. Of coz emergency apps like phone, WhatsApp, clock still can use. I also calculated the amount of time when she dismissed from sch till bedtime 10pm. So I set a stipulated hours usable too I.e. 5 hours from sun-thu. After 5 hours of usage or 10pm (whichever is earlier), phone will auto block. She has no choice but to do hw or pack bag.

Fri and sat I customised it to longer hours and later shutdown downtime for her to unwind.

Thanks for your input. But just that my settings will always be gone a while later.

warehaws

Reaction score
I did encounter that screen time not fully working (pre ios 12.2). It seems to be faulty for each app.

But I managed to make it work by:
a) set downtime from evening to morning
b) set ONE app limits of 30mins for all
c) set always allowed app like messages, camera, photo, etc which seems ok
d) set screentime passcode.

Once they hit 30mins usage, they will ask for more time.

slow_mo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did you set the screen time password the same as your phone unlock password?

Can set different password. Your kids can know the passcode to unlock the phone but unable to change the screen time settings.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.