US help.

faithgurl

Reaction score
Oh, that's perfect - those dates are super cheap. If you really wanted to lash out, you can get the Four Seasons for $350/nt.

San Francisco is difficult because of all the conventions that occasionally blast in and take up every hotel room in downtown, on random days in April or September or October. But December is almost always quiet. For those dates (20-25 Dec) you can basically have your pick: on Expedia I'm seeing the Westin St Francis for about $160/nt, and really if the Westin is an option you should absolutely go for it. If you want something a little quieter, the Park Central over on Third Street is $134/nt, which is an absolute steal.

Thks so much! Will you hv any idea whether Westin or Park Central comes with coin operated laundry?

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thks so much! Will you hv any idea whether Westin or Park Central comes with coin operated laundry?

Westin - called no coin operated laundry service. Price little higher for 2 adult 2 little ones. No laundromat on site at the park too. Hilton San Francisco Union Square Also no laundromat, Expedia info not accurate, front desk can’t go wrong
2guduhk.png

Hampton Inn San Francisco Downtown/Convention Center At us$170 has laundry. See pic below
https://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/hampton-inn-san-francisco-downtown-convention-center-SFOCCHX/index.html?SEO_id=GMB-HP-SFOCCHX

Last edited:

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am planning for a Hawaii trip end of this year with wife and family - all adults.

Wonder if anybody has any comments and suggestions to improve it?

Currently, I am giving around 5 days each to O'ahu, Hawai'i and Maui.

Here is the brief itinerary:

24-Nov Sat - Arrival at Honolulu, O'ahu
24-Nov Sun - O'ahu (Capital Island) Day 1
25-Nov Mon - O'ahu (Capital Island) Day 2
26-Nov Tue - Fly to Kailua, Hawai'i (Big Island) Day 1
27-Nov Wed - Hawai'i (Big Island) Day 2
28-Nov Thu - Hawai'i (Big Island) Day 3 - Thanksgiving Day
29-Nov Fri - Hawai'i (Big Island) Day 4 - Black Friday
30-Nov Sat - Hawai'i (Big Island) Day 5
1-Dec Sun - Fly to Kalului, Maui Island - Day 1
2-Dec Mon - Maui Island - Day 2
3-Dec Tue - Maui Island - Day 3
4-Dec Wed - Maui Island - Day 4
5-Dec Thu - Maui Island - Day 5
6-Dec Fri - Fly to O'ahu (Capital Island) Day 3
7-Dec Sat - O'ahu (Capital Island) Day 4 - Honolulu Race Pack Collection
8-Dec Sun - O'ahu (Capital Island) Day 5 - Run/Walk Honolulu Marathon
9-Dec Mon - Depart O'ahu (Capital Island)
11-Dec Wed - Reach SG

Sights/Activities shortlisted for O'ahu
- Pearl Harbour
- Wakiki Beach, Diamond Head hike
- Iolani Palace (to learn about the history of Hawaii)
- Manoa Falls Trail
- Waikele Outlet mall (register for waikele outlet membership)
- Ala Moana Center (Hawaii's biggest mall)
- Tropical Farms (Macadamia nuts)
- Run the Honolulu Marathon

Sights/Activities shortlisted for Hawai'i
1) Haiwai'I Volcanoes National Park
- Halema'uma'u Crater, A Lake of Fire
- Puna
- Sunrise Lava Tour (Epic Lava Tours)
2) Mauna Kea - Highest Peak, Hike Up (Jeep option available), Stargazing (potential altitude sickness)
3) Waipi'o Valley - Not sure if it is that scenic
4) Night Diving and Snorkeling with Mantas (we can only snorkel though, not sure if still can see the Mantas)
5) Cute little town of Hilo

Sights/Activities shortlisted for Maui

1) Haleakala National Park
- Keonehe'ehe'e aka Sliding Sands Trail
- Summit for sunrise
- Stargazing
2) Outlets of Maui
3) Boat tours to Lana'i island
4) Road to Hana
5) Submarine tours (Atlantis Submarines Maui)

Ideally, we want to keep to USD 200 for each room a night. Currently, it seem possible with the rates we see at Agoda. Of course, we would like to book soon considering the Marathon and Thanksgiving.

Another thing that worries me a little is that it is wetter end Nov/Early Dec and it may affect the outdoor activities. Anybody has experience travelling during this period?

We are thinking of self-driving only in Hawai'i and Maui but not O'ahu where we will take it easier and maybe join day tours.

Appreciate any help, thanks!

For Maui, the submarine tours are so so. I would recommend getting on a snorkeling boat to molokini crater at maui, some of the best experiences ever.

For driving, I would recommend not driving yourself. If you are staying at west coast of Maui, there’s hotel shuttle to get to most of the weather areas. Uber to another part is not that expensive either. I would strongly recommend you not to self drive for road to Hana. It’s no joke that it’s one of the most dangerous roads in the world. I drove part of it thanks to apple map and I won’t want to do it again. Just take a tour bus, it’s a lot more relaxing.

faithgurl

Reaction score
Westin - called no coin operated laundry service. Price little higher for 2 adult 2 little ones. No laundromat on site at the park too. Hilton San Francisco Union Square Also no laundromat, Expedia info not accurate, front desk can’t go wrong
2guduhk.png

Hampton Inn San Francisco Downtown/Convention Center At us$170 has laundry. See pic below
https://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/hampton-inn-san-francisco-downtown-convention-center-SFOCCHX/index.html?SEO_id=GMB-HP-SFOCCHX

Thks so much! Let me explore further & if u guys hv any suggestions pls do share more. Really appreciate it!

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

https://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/h...nter-SFOCCHX/index.html?SEO_id=GMB-HP-SFOCCHX

I like your research work, but I’d still suggest the Park Central. It’s $35/night cheaper (even more than that once you include tax), which’ll pay for a lot of laundry; and the location is a lot nicer than the Hampton. The Hampton itself is nice enough, but it’s on a sketchy stretch of Mission between Fifth and Sixth. (I used to live two blocks from there, so trust me when I say it’s sketchy.)

The Park Central is on Third, which is a lot nicer; closer to a Muni/BART station; and you can take your laundry to Mulberry’s Cleaners, the wash-and-fold place in the Crocker Galleria.

faithgurl

Reaction score
I like your research work, but I’d still suggest the Park Central. It’s $35/night cheaper (even more than that once you include tax), which’ll pay for a lot of laundry; and the location is a lot nicer than the Hampton. The Hampton itself is nice enough, but it’s on a sketchy stretch of Mission between Fifth and Sixth. (I used to live two blocks from there, so trust me when I say it’s sketchy.)

The Park Central is on Third, which is a lot nicer; closer to a Muni/BART station; and you can take your laundry to Mulberry’s Cleaners, the wash-and-fold place in the Crocker Galleria.

I really appreciate all your research & recommendations. As for the park central, are the rooms quite dated as I have looked thru the pics & found tt it’s a little dark & dated. Pls advise. Thks!

faithgurl

Reaction score
Anybody tried hotel Nikko San Fran? The rooms look quite bright & clean. Please share your experiences if any. Thks so much!

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

faithgurl

Reaction score
If u no longer seek a hotel with laundromat it’s easier. I have not stay downtown San Fran for a long time, every year I visit Cupertino I stayed at Fremont Marriott.

Brightness really depends on photography. Read reviews.
https://www.google.com/travel/hotels/Nikko San Francisco/entity/CgoI1u3syPKf9vJ_EAE/reviews

Ya, laundromat is the headache of my plan + this is the 1st time for us, I nd to do lots of research. It seems that those hotels near union square do not come with coin operated washer in their premises. The only way will be staying nearby laundromat. Welcome any suggestions if u guys hv any to share. Thks so much!

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate all your research & recommendations. As for the park central, are the rooms quite dated as I have looked thru the pics & found tt it’s a little dark & dated. Pls advise. Thks!

Nope, they're fine. Tripadvisor really likes it, and it seems that if you can get a room on a higher floor you can get some pretty great views.

My recommendation would absolutely be to stay at the Park Central and do your washing at the nearby wash-and-fold, Mulberry's (also that way you don't have to chew up hours of your holiday watching clothes go round!).

Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Laundromat coin places cost ~usd$3 to wash maybe another usd$3 to dry.
Yes you will spend 2-3hrs there to watch your stuff of risk missing. U need to buy your detergent in advance

Drop off to get wash and fold is the below price note its by piece, don’t know how much is Nikko you can also email. Even you want to go mulberry from Nikko it’s 12 min walk vs 5 mins walk from park. Compare reviews yes Nikko has 200-300 more good reviews than park but it’s not that significant. Just go with what u like, here it’s a recommendation no one will guarantee else money back
https://www.mulberryscleaners.com/get-price-quote/

Last edited:

pricklepantz

Reaction score
Is there something like GrabHitch in SF ?
I intend to go Livermore FO from Union Square.
The shuttle operated by Gray Line is no longer running

:s12:thanks in advance!

faithgurl

Reaction score
Thks Shiny Things & patryn33 for your valuable recommendations & advices. I realised that Mulberry is charging by pieces. Wouldn’t it be more expensive? Is it a norm that all wash & fold services in SF are chargeable by pieces?

belgarathc

Reaction score
I have just booked our air tickets, registered for the run and Waikiki accommodations (near to run expo, start and finish line) for the last 3 nights of the trip. Now researching for other parts of the trip, will definitely take into considerations all the suggestions given. Thanks!

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thks Shiny Things & patryn33 for your valuable recommendations & advices. I realised that Mulberry is charging by pieces. Wouldn’t it be more expensive? Is it a norm that all wash & fold services in SF are chargeable by pieces?

No, it's not; the norm is to charge by the pound.

I work near there; I'll wander by at lunch today and check their pricing.

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is there something like GrabHitch in SF ?
I intend to go Livermore FO from Union Square.
The shuttle operated by Gray Line is no longer running

:s12:thanks in advance!

Grab BART to Dublin/Pleasanton station, then use Lyft to get the rest of the way.

faithgurl

Reaction score
No, it's not; the norm is to charge by the pound.

I work near there; I'll wander by at lunch today and check their pricing.

Oh, that’s great! Please let me know after checking out. Thks so much!
I have another issue. We intend to fly to Orlando from San Fran. Heard that we can get domestic flight tickets when reaching upon San Fran & it’s usually cheaper buying nearer to departure dates. Is it true? As our flight will reach SFO in the afternoon, we are left with late afternoon to night flights. Is it safe to buy upon reaching? The chances of full flight is low? Hope you guys can advise. Thks!

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh, that’s great! Please let me know after checking out. Thks so much!
I have another issue. We intend to fly to Orlando from San Fran. Heard that we can get domestic flight tickets when reaching upon San Fran & it’s usually cheaper buying nearer to departure dates. Is it true? As our flight will reach SFO in the afternoon, we are left with late afternoon to night flights. Is it safe to buy upon reaching? The chances of full flight is low? Hope you guys can advise. Thks!

Domestic flights usually cheaper around 2 weeks to flight date. You can check skiplagged.com, they have flight ticket price according to time.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.