Xiaomi TV Discussion Thread III [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sendytay

Reaction score
Wow, very expensive set up you have..just the GTX 2080 card @ $1,500 will cost more than the MiTV . If can play Youtube and Netflix in 4K quality, it would mean the TV and the HDMI including the cables are HDR and HDCP 2.2 complying and should not be a problem playing 4K videos. The only suspect is the player that is used to play the MKV 4K files. if you are using VLC, try your luck with this video settings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReSgS7o6Skg

OK will try that tonight. The TV is 2.45K while the gtx is 1.25K. Got it cheap in US during company trip 😊

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have the 55inch xiaomi 4a hooked to a mibox s with netflix premium acc but I can't seem to get the UHD tag in netflix movies. Only HD and HDR. I checked YouTube and 4k videos works fine. What am I doing wrong

Sent from Samsung SM-G955F using GAGT

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...-discussion-ii-[consolidated]-5537957-37.html

Mi Box S issues will be better answered in the above thread.

This could be either a network issue or Netflix issue or Mi TV issue.

Run speed test with Netflix provided app called FAST on your Mi Box S to see if you get sufficient speed.

Contact Netflix technical support as well.

moleman4eva

Reaction score
guess you are not getting the 25 mbps or 25,000 kps speed as required for 4k display. This may be due to the problem in the Mibox S.

This one said, he can only get 720p and not even 1080p.. because of the TV

https://www.techhive.com/article/3319662/xiaomi-mi-box-s-review.html

I don't have Mibox S. You can try to find in the Mibox setting and turn on the HDR mode and also select 4K output.
This did the trick. I assumed it was tv issue turns out it was the mibox. It had the auto detect TV resolution on and set the resolution to 1080p. Manually changed it to 4k60hz and all is good.

pcuser123

Master Member
Reaction score
This did the trick. I assumed it was tv issue turns out it was the mibox. It had the auto detect TV resolution on and set the resolution to 1080p. Manually changed it to 4k60hz and all is good.

It shows that MiTV is the not culprit as many have been thinking. The TV can play 4K and the HDMI is complying with HDCP 2.2 with HDR working..If the internet downloading speed is not the issue, then it could be only be the DRM certification issue as DRM is at level-3 and not level-1..Just hope Xiaomi can come out and help..

moleman4eva

Reaction score
It shows that MiTV is the not culprit as many have been thinking. The TV can play 4K and the HDMI is complying with HDCP 2.2 with HDR working..If the internet downloading speed is not the issue, then it could be only be the DRM certification issue as DRM is at level-3 and not level-1..Just hope Xiaomi can come out and help..
Kinda true. I also thought it was the hdmi. Tried all ports and even bought a new hdmi to try out. On the other hand. A great purchase. 600 for a 55inch 4k is hard to beat.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

BTW, just want to mention that Google Widevine DRM Level 1 is not equal to Netflix 1080p/4K. It is a prerequisite but not enough. Netflix certification is also needed.

Ref:
https://www.cnx-software.com/2015/1...-tv-box-play-full-hd-or-4k-videos-in-netflix/

Some device running Google Android TV OS, like Starhub Go Streaming Box, Mecool KM8 and the new Mecool KM3, do have Google Widevine DRM Level 1, still they are not certified by Netflix and therefore do not support Netflix HD. There are hacks to support up to 1080p but Netflix is actively blocking these hacks.

https://www.cnx-software.com/2016/1...any-android-device-with-widevine-level-1-drm/

Mi TV Pro in India should fall in the same situation as well since it runs Android TV OS but lacks Netflix certification.
https://beebom.com/xiaomi-mi-tv-pro-lineup-netflix/

Still for these boxes since they all support Chromecast, you can cast from mobile phone to get Netflix.

For China versions of Mi TV or other Android device with only Google Widevine DRM Level 3, you will only get SD480p or 576p and there are hacks like mod Netflix apk to get 720p but again Netflix may block the hacks.

Mi Box S, on the other hand, are fully certified by Google and Netflix, so you can watch 4K HDR Netflix as long as you have a compatible display device like Mi TV (4k, HDR, HDCP) and a good connection with Netflix servers.

The issue with Mi Box S in this particular case is that it may not detecte the TV property.

Last edited:

pcuser123

Master Member
Reaction score
BTW, just want to mention that Google Widevine DRM Level 1 is not equal to Netflix 1080p/4K. It is a prerequisite but not enough. Netflix certification is also needed.

Ref:
https://www.cnx-software.com/2015/1...-tv-box-play-full-hd-or-4k-videos-in-netflix/

Yes.. there is another level one can call it "local lock" on top of the google's DRM but the very purpose is to "blacklist" those devices that have known to have violated copyrights before.

http://skyjuiceiswater.blogspot.com/2019/04/playing-netflix-movies-in-xiaomi-tv4.html

It would be very stupid for content providers like Netflix to blacklist the users of Netflix; it is like shooting bullets at its own feet.. may be they just did that to MiTV we don't know. Whether Mibox S or MiTV4, they use the same CPU and graphic card and probably the same input/output devices.. it is just the certifications.. someone would soon break the codes..using the ADB

Last edited:

sendytay

Reaction score
Wow, very expensive set up you have..just the GTX 2080 card @ $1,500 will cost more than the MiTV . If can play Youtube and Netflix in 4K quality, it would mean the TV and the HDMI including the cables are HDR and HDCP 2.2 complying and should not be a problem playing 4K videos. The only suspect is the player that is used to play the MKV 4K files. if you are using VLC, try your luck with this video settings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReSgS7o6Skg

I tried above but it is did not work. It is for buffering only. Strange. Only playing 4K video files which are not HDR has the issue.

pcuser123

Master Member
Reaction score

Audiology93

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've placed an order on Qoo10 for the 43" 4S. Don't know good or not since not many reviews online. Seller ETA 16 April then ship out. Anyone have their TV died on them within the 1st year?

Sent from HUAWEI Mate 20 using GAGT

pcuser123

Master Member
Reaction score
I've placed an order on Qoo10 for the 43" 4S. Don't know good or not since not many reviews online. Seller ETA 16 April then ship out. Anyone have their TV died on them within the 1st year?

It is just a high end TV with a cheap cost. It can play most popular Apps including youtube and Netflix except it cannot play them in 4K mode

https://www.pcsteps.com/15579-xiaomi-mi-tv-4a-review-a-high-end-but-cheap-43-smart-tv/

My 55" MiTV4 konked out in the first 6 moths due to failure in the Samsung's screen panel and got a TV replacement about mid 2018. It has been working since. To be sure things won't happen again, I installed 2 small fans to cool the CPU and the power supply board. Now my CPU measured around 41 degree C.

Think it was the heating that kill the Samsung's screen panel because I was overprotecting it by installing some external air filters. This could have restrict the air flow as the screen needs plenty of ventilation because all the LEDs are located down under the TV

pcuser123

Master Member
Reaction score
Netflix banned use of AirPlay

Netflix is really shooting its own feet with the real bullets. doesn't really catch what they were doing. They banned to use of AirPlay to screen cast their movies onto the TV screen just about 1 week ago. Their reasons: AirPlay is allowing 3rd party devices to use the product.

Remember sometime ago, they tried to work together with youtube to allow Airplay users to screen cast their movies and now suddenly turning around to ban it.

They must find out why users do not use TV or other devices to watch Netflix movies and use Airplay and who on earth wanted to use AirPlay if it is not out of convenient?

Yes, they wanted to protect their movies and contents but how can they stop it while Netflix users are allowed to download their movies at ease and they don't have to use AirPlay?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Netflix is really shooting its own feet with the real bullets. doesn't really catch what they were doing. They banned to use of AirPlay to screen cast their movies onto the TV screen just about 1 week ago. Their reasons: AirPlay is allowing 3rd party devices to use the product.

Remember sometime ago, they tried to work together with youtube to allow Airplay users to screen cast their movies and now suddenly turning around to ban it.

They must find out why users do not use TV or other devices to watch Netflix movies and use Airplay and who on earth wanted to use AirPlay if it is not out of convenient?

Yes, they wanted to protect their movies and contents but how can they stop it while Netflix users are allowed to download their movies at ease and they don't have to use AirPlay?

Ref:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...an-ongoing-souring-of-its-apple-relationship/

Luckily they still support Chromecast. Chromecast dongle, Mi Box S, Nvidia Shield TV, Starhub Go Streaming box and Sony Android smart TV supports Chromecast function. So does Mi TV Pro for Indian market.

Basically Chromecast dongles and device running certified Android TV OS will be able to have Chromecast function.

Chromecast Ultra dongle or Mi Box S can be a very good companion for Mi TV users due to the support of Netflix 4K, HBO Go, Starhub Go, SingTel Cast, etc.

pcuser123

Master Member
Reaction score
Ref:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...an-ongoing-souring-of-its-apple-relationship/

Luckily they still support Chromecast. Chromecast dongle, Mi Box S, Nvidia Shield TV, Starhub Go Streaming box and Sony Android smart TV supports Chromecast function. So does Mi TV Pro for Indian market.

Basically Chromecast dongles and device running certified Android TV OS will be able to have Chromecast function.

Chromecast Ultra dongle or Mi Box S can be a very good companion for Mi TV users due to the support of Netflix 4K, HBO Go, Starhub Go, SingTel Cast, etc.

Very soon they will ban Chromecast because there are too many imitated Chromecast device coming into the market selling for 1/4 of the price of real Chromecast...the reason they will use is "you cannot control the 3rd party imitation".. Google would have a great time trying to "kill" these products. I was thinking about getting one to try but decided against it as I can still use my iphone and ipad to airplay Youtube etc to MiTV4 except I can't watch Netflix..best at 480p using MiTV4.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Very soon they will ban Chromecast because there are too many imitated Chromecast device coming into the market selling for 1/4 of the price of real Chromecast...the reason they will use is "you cannot control the 3rd party imitation".. Google would have a great time trying to "kill" these products. I was thinking about getting one to try but decided against it as I can still use my iphone and ipad to airplay Youtube etc to MiTV4 except I can't watch Netflix..best at 480p using MiTV4.

I doubt that they will be able to do that to Chromecast dongles.

Apps like Happycast, Airscreen, Airpin Pro can do Airplay and DLNA cast and Miracast, but not Chromecast. I do not know of any fake Chromecast dongles.

Anyway, you can still count on Mi Box S for Netflix which is still cheaper than Chromecast Ultra.

Then there are Amazon Fire TV Stick 4k and Roku Streaming Stick Plus.

I bought my Apple TV 3rd gen earlier than my Chromecast 1st gen. I can tell you Chromecast is way better in terms of YouTube than Apple TV. Chromecast dongle was really the best S$35 I have ever spent. My Apple TV 3rd gen is collecting dust now...

Chromecast is also way better than Air Play for those apps it supports.

Last edited:

pcuser123

Master Member
Reaction score
.... I do not know of any fake Chromecast dongles.

Don't like to show fake stuff here.. go shop around; there are many some has even the G engraved or some with added word 5G to show a new version. Claimed to be able to play Netflix 4K without any problem..I guess what they claimed is true because Google Chromecast is only a hardware screen mirror casting device. It can be copied and make exactly the same. All one needs is to copy the firmware and duplicate. Not lock unless google owns the chip factory and can lock the chips from copying..Google can only sue them.

Last edited:

Audiology93

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is just a high end TV with a cheap cost. It can play most popular Apps including youtube and Netflix except it cannot play them in 4K mode

https://www.pcsteps.com/15579-xiaomi-mi-tv-4a-review-a-high-end-but-cheap-43-smart-tv/

My 55" MiTV4 konked out in the first 6 moths due to failure in the Samsung's screen panel and got a TV replacement about mid 2018. It has been working since. To be sure things won't happen again, I installed 2 small fans to cool the CPU and the power supply board. Now my CPU measured around 41 degree C.

Think it was the heating that kill the Samsung's screen panel because I was overprotecting it by installing some external air filters. This could have restrict the air flow as the screen needs plenty of ventilation because all the LEDs are located down under the TV
I see. Thanks for the info. I probably won't use much Netflix on it and just game on my PS4 Pro. Is it able to play YouTube in 4k? The seller claim that Netflix and YouTube comes pre installed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.