Comparison of SIM only plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowz1984

Reaction score
Data Passport is simple hassle free. Getting local sim card you have to look for the shop or queue at airport to get it done.

Data Passport, once your plane landed, straight away after turning off flight mode can receive 4G data already. No need wait for queues at airport or wifi
You can actually buy the SIM card of that country in Singapore before leaving Singapore. There are quite common at shopee / lazada / qoo10. Just activate it before leaving Singapore. You can use it right away when you reach that country. I use that when I go Europe last year.

Sent from 大帅哥 using GAGT

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not only is it generally cheaper. But the data is also sure to work, and you'll get a local number for Uber or Grab drivers to contact you. Some of them will reject the moment they see a foreign number.

China local sim card has one more usage -- I have one to use with some Chinese apps. I got it (移动王卡 from China Mobile) with the help from relative in China, RMB9 or S$1.8 per month, used mainly for receiving SMS verification code. It is also quite cheap to get data during my short trips to China (RMB1 or S$0.2 per GB per day).

It is said that there are cheaper plans like RMB5 or S$1 per month from China Unicom or China Telecom.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no one plan suit all and is the champion of champions... just get the plan that suits you the individual.

I personally prefer Orange and didn’t mind the 12 months contract, I get loads more than what I use to get with Red.

The data passport suit my particular needs because I spent a lot of time in China, I have a local Chinese SIM card but that’s purely for my local Chinese contents.

As suggested by some, use VPN lah... Yep, on paid VPN plan too. After trying some time using VPN to download / upload photos or email attachment... Given that up liao.

Each to his own since everyone has different needs.

Since you visit China often you may try Shadowsocks providers (飞机场) to see if they work better than traditional VPN vendors.

For paid VPN, you may want to try VPN.ac in China.

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can actually buy the SIM card of that country in Singapore before leaving Singapore. There are quite common at shopee / lazada / qoo10. Just activate it before leaving Singapore. You can use it right away when you reach that country. I use that when I go Europe last year.

Sent from 大帅哥 using GAGT

I use that for my Europe trip last year too. Data passport is another alternative, some people just want hassle free, dont want change sim cards.

kailee

Reaction score
Am very happy to see my m1 app now reflects 20gb of data. Hehe

Regarding the unlimited weekend data, is it from tomorrow afternoon midnight 12, it will auto switch to free flow data?

M1 has added the unlimited data for me. Just don't know how to activate

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Regarding the unlimited weekend data, is it from tomorrow afternoon midnight 12, it will auto switch to free flow data?

Unlimited data will start at Saturday 0000hrs to Sunday 23:59:59.
Your data counter will be paused during the 48hours.

boliao45

Reaction score
Starts from sat 0:00hrs till sun 23:59hrs
Once you have it showing in vas, will auto kick in.
You could check by screenshot data usage in app on start and compare it at the end incremental should be zero or something insignificant.

Sglastexile

Reaction score
China local sim card has one more usage -- I have one to use with some Chinese apps. I got it (移动王卡 from China Mobile) with the help from relative in China, RMB9 or S$1.8 per month, used mainly for receiving SMS verification code. It is also quite cheap to get data during my short trips to China (RMB1 or S$0.2 per GB per day).

It is said that there are cheaper plans like RMB5 or S$1 per month from China Unicom or China Telecom.

Yes, China Unicom is only RMB5 per month. $0.20 per 1GB or $0.60 unlimited.

For short or single trip to china in a month, cheapest option is local Sim.
About $4.50 for 7 days stay.
I connect to NordVPN.
Cons: Need to off VPN when 滴滴 , 美团,高德地图 for location.

Probably if I need to travel multiple countries , then I consider the $25 data passport.

But there are some questions
$10 data passport include Taiwan, Hong Kong.
$25 data passport include Japan, South Korea & China.

So if I want to travel to Macau -> Hongkong -> China.
Or Taiwan & China.

Do I need to purchase both $10+$25 data passport?

So far, only two options local Sim or data passport?
Any third option that is mid range price & more convenience

Last edited:

SibehHL

Reaction score
Since you visit China often you may try Shadowsocks providers (飞机场) to see if they work better than traditional VPN vendors.

For paid VPN, you may want to try VPN.ac in China.

Thanks mate for the suggestion but I am quite satisfied with the current arrangement using data passport overseas. :)

Last edited:

SibehHL

Reaction score
Probably if I need to travel multiple countries , then I consider the $25 data passport.

But there are some questions
$10 data passport include Taiwan, Hong Kong.
$25 data passport include Japan, South Korea & China.

So if I want to travel to Macau -> Hongkong -> China.
Or Taiwan & China.

Do I need to purchase both $10+$25 data passport?

So far, only two options local Sim or data passport?
Any third option that is mid range price & more convenience

There are 2 types of data passport; single location and multiple.

The $10 package single location package will cost you $25 if you intend to use it for all ASEAN countries while the normally $25 package for single Asian country will cost $50 for use in multiple Asian countries.

Alternatively, you may wish to consider Starhub Prepaid card as they offer very competitive data packages for roaming with good spread of countries covered. Note overseas local calls not included.

Last edited:

lance88

Reaction score
Makes me laughed... HK SIM card? spare phone? Portable wifi?

So why not just use my 10GB data from M1 for only $25? Shake head.... why do something simple when one can come up with a complicated way.... :(

yes shake head too, its based on individual usage. Your $25-50/mth data passport is only for frequent/long term travellers. Not for ppl who just want a short few days to a week trip to nearby countries every once in awhile.

SibehHL

Reaction score
yes shake head too, its based on individual usage. Your $25-50/mth data passport is only for frequent/long term travellers. Not for ppl who just want a short few days to a week trip to nearby countries every once in awhile.

You have a comprehension issue.

I must have repeated more than 3 times in my posts that each individual has different needs so go ahead to select the plan that suits the individual.

If someone wish to spend $25 for a ONE day data passport because it's convenient, so be it. Why do you insist otherwise?

Last edited:

kailee

Reaction score
you already damn lucky can even have the chat.

Once you reach the contact us page, they will queue you.

You will see the rough estimated time

The page is like dead but actually its really running. I waited 13mins to have a 3 mins chat before I got cut. My questions was asked but during the answering portion, they say thank you and went dead silent.......

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if there is anyone who will exceed the "free weekend unlimited" data of 10GB/per day, thereafter throttle to 1mbps.

10GB seems alot

eesymerej

Reaction score
The 10GB limit is just to weed out those who abuse the privilege and clog up the network for the rest of us. For everyone else, use all you want and you will hardly get near the fre 20GB for weekend limit.

stream F1 qualifying for 2 hours only used 550MB :(

||||||||||

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

i just ported to M1 yesterday, i tested the speedtest and go this result.

is this normal speed ??? seems like my singtel 3G is faster than this.

9R2Op0M.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.