Android TV Box

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. You can playback media on your local network, hard disk, stream it over internet using Plex Media Server.

2. Direct Play, Direct Stream, or Transcoded stream depends on your device(player) capabilities.

3. Nvidia Shield TV can play almost anything - no need PMS to transcode. It comes with PMS too, which you can mount (or network) your media (HDD) to it.

4. HTPC is not necessary, if you just need to stream from HDD.

When using shield or any other android boxes, you can play video over local network easily. It can be done by file manager, such as es explorer.

Plex and kodi are other methods, but required some setup.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. You can playback media on your local network, hard disk, stream it over internet using Plex Media Server.

You mean the LG Smart TV can do this right?

I am not familiar with LG TV. But it seems the built-in video player can handle some formats but apparently not as good as Kodi or VLC or MX Player.

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product-help/CT20098005-1437128842789-others

It does support Plex Player though so if there is a Plex Media Server set up on the PC or NAS, you can stream the media. I doubt that the support of Dolby Vision or Dolby Atmos support will be there in this kind of setup. Or even lower grade HDR10 and Dolby Digital /DTS 5.1 will be supported or not.

Edit to add:
Plex under Windows may support better audio format. Not so sure about under Web OS.
https://forums.plex.tv/t/how-to-tur...ruehd-dolby-atmos-in-plex-media-player/172470

Last edited:

AwfullySmart

Reaction score
When using shield or any other android boxes, you can play video over local network easily. It can be done by file manager, such as es file explorer.

Plex and kodi are other methods, but required some setup.

File manager like ES Explorer is only good for few media files.

Plex Media Server is good for big collection of media files, it organizes your collection nicely and allows streaming to anywhere on your devices.

Setup is easy (if you know how to add external storage or/and network in ES file explorer, this is the same), then you add to PMS, and PMS will do the rest automatically.

After which, you can access them via a Plex client/player.

AwfullySmart

Reaction score
You mean the LG Smart TV can do this right?

I am not familiar with LG TV. But it seems the built-in video player can handle some formats but apparently not as good as Kodi or VLC or MX Player.

https://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product-help/CT20098005-1437128842789-others

It does support Plex Player though so if there is a Plex Media Server set up on the PC or NAS, you can stream the media. I doubt that the support of Dolby Vision or Dolby Atmos support will be there in this kind of setup. Or even lower grade HDR10 and Dolby Digital /DTS 5.1 will be supported or not.

Edit to add:
Plex under Windows may support better audio format. Not so sure about under Web OS.
https://forums.plex.tv/t/how-to-tur...ruehd-dolby-atmos-in-plex-media-player/172470

Yes. Any Plex client/player should work, but I'm not sure how well it can handle - it all depends on the media file, Plex device and the connected soundbar/receiver.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any best promo for tv box?

It all depends on your needs.

Currently this is one of the best offers for official Android TV OS based device.
https://s.lazada.sg/s.3m8A

Offer for Mi Box Global version at S$65.99. Normally it will run out fast. This Lazada shop will have this type of offer from time to time.

This Lazada shop also sells newer version Mi Box S. But the cost is higher at S$82.99 now. Lowest offer recently for the Lazada 7 year old celebration is at S$70 (S$75 with S$5 voucher) but I guess you have to wait for some time to get this offer again.
https://s.lazada.sg/s.3KTC

Mi Box Global version (Android TV OS 6.0, upgradable to Android TV OS 8.0) and Mi Box S are almost exactly the same in terms of HW specifications and user experiences.

Taobao is not recommended for Mi Box Global version and Mi Box S. The price is higher there.

You can check out Lazada for offers of other boxes as well. Qoo10 and Shopee may have some offers as well from time to time.

For other boxes like Nvidia Shield TV and Amazon Fire TV Stick 4k, you may have to look at Amazon US store for promotion.

Last edited:

Elon Jobs

Reaction score
It all depends on your needs.

Currently this is one of the best offers for official Android TV OS based device.
https://s.lazada.sg/s.3m8A

Offer for Mi Box Global version at S$65.99. Normally it will run out fast. This Lazada shop will have this type of offer from time to time.

This Lazada shop also sells newer version Mi Box S. But the cost is higher at S$82.99 now. Lowest offer recently for the Lazada 7 year old celebration is at S$70 (S$75 with S$5 voucher) but I guess you have to wait for some time to get this offer again.
https://s.lazada.sg/s.3KTC

Mi Box Global version (Android TV OS 6.0, upgradable to Android TV OS 8.0) and Mi Box S are almost exactly the same in terms of HW specifications and user experiences.

Taobao is not recommended for Mi Box Global version and Mi Box S. The price is higher there.

You can check out Lazada for offers of other boxes as well. Qoo10 and Shopee may have some offers as well from time to time.

For other boxes like Nvidia Shield TV and Amazon Fire TV Stick 4k, you may have to look at Amazon US store for promotion.

Xiaofan, for the Mi Box S, is it okay I use his USB to Ethernet converter? Based on your experience, any drawbacks which you know of?
XsaSGmA.jpg

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Xiaofan, for the Mi Box S, is it okay I use his USB to Ethernet converter? Based on your experience, any drawbacks which you know of?

I do not have Mi Box S myself since I do not need it. I have my own Chromecast dongle and I do not care about Netflix. I do not have 4k capable display either. The combinations of SingTel TV for kids and Chromecast + Generic Boxes for myself are better for me than Mi Box S.

Still I read that Ugreen USB to Ethernet converter works with Mi Box S.

Ref:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/..._mi_box_4_eu_ethernet_issue/#thing_t1_ecyf92t

If you have got Mi Box S, do not buy the Ugreen adapter first, it is said the wireless performance is very good.

Take note Mi Box S has only one USB port. So you may need a USB hub to connect to more USB peripherals. Ugreen has USB to Ethernet and USB hub two in one device as well which you may want to consider.

Last edited:

forests_gump

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Hope you can help me out here. Not sure if I need an android box to achieve what I want to do. I'll be moving to a new place and will be getting a new LG 4K oled TV, which will have Dolby Vision, HDR and Atmos. I plan to use the Netflix app built in on the TV itself to watch 4k. It has the Amazon video app as well I think. I also have an old PC which will be in one of the rooms and I want to be able to play up to 4k Bluray remux files from there to the TV. Playing 4K UHD Bluray discs is also a preference.

Given all this, do I need a HTPC or an Android box is enough? Or can I get away with just hooking up an external HDD to the TV? Would the high def video and audio be able to be played on the TV and sound bar which is Atmos if I just use a HDD? Thanks!

Hi Shank,

Am using a LG 4K Oled.
In response to your Qns: LG build-in player supports HDD 4K mp4, mkv formats subtitles options. You are quite right on Netflix, Dolby HDR, also it support chromecast, toggle. Optical Spdif/HDMI ARC outputs should gives you the Atmos.

Considerations:
1. USB2.0/USB3.0 does not support USB audio card into my DSD audio system.
2. Lack general google apps
3. Lacks SMB though supports dlna.

Probably better to receive your LG 4K oled, get a view bef making next decision. Oops... think am repeating some info alrdy provided by xiaofan & other bros.:D

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Shank,

Am using a LG 4K Oled.
In response to your Qns: LG build-in player supports HDD 4K mp4, mkv formats subtitles options. You are quite right on Netflix, Dolby HDR, also it support chromecast, toggle. Optical Spdif/HDMI ARC outputs should gives you the Atmos.

Does it really support Chromecast? I know it supports Toggle.

Chromecast is not the same as other casting method like Miracast, Airplay or DLNA cast.

So far I only know Chromecast dongles and Android TV OS device like Mi Box S support Chromecast function.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ref:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...an-ongoing-souring-of-its-apple-relationship/

Netflix is removing Airplay support (but still support Apple TV).

Luckily they still support Chromecast. Chromecast dongle, Mi Box S, Nvidia Shield TV, Starhub Go Streaming box and Sony Android smart TV supports Chromecast function.

Basically Chromecast dongles and device running certified Android TV OS will be able to have Chromecast function.

shank118

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who has helped! I've been doing more research and xiaofan, your earlier posts in this thread have been very useful, especially those on page 94. Like what you and others have mentioned, I should probably wait and get to experience the TV first before I decide.

In the event I do decide to get one of the boxes, I have narrowed down to Nvidia Shield, Mi Box S or Fire Stick. Based on my research, I have summarized as follows :

1. Nvidia Shield basically is the most powerful in that it can play almost anything, and has got Chromecast which allows the local TV apps, and can install Kodi, Plex etc. However, no Dolby Vision support, which technically I wouldnt really need as Netflix and Amazon apps are available on the TV.

2. Mi Box S is very affordable, has got Chromecast as above, and can install Kodi, Plex etc. No Dolby Vision and Atmos support.

3. Amazon Fire Stick 4K is also pretty affordable, however has got no Chromecast. I'm not sure if the local TV apps like Singtel Cast etc can be installed on the stick itself? If they are able to, then this Fire Stick would be my choice since it supports Dolby Vision and Atmos. Kodi etc can be installed as well. However, I have been reading that the Amazon Prime Video app on the stick can't be used for Prime Singapore accounts? Is that true?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. Nvidia Shield basically is the most powerful in that it can play almost anything, and has got Chromecast which allows the local TV apps, and can install Kodi, Plex etc. However, no Dolby Vision support, which technically I wouldnt really need as Netflix and Amazon apps are available on the TV.

2. Mi Box S is very affordable, has got Chromecast as above, and can install Kodi, Plex etc. No Dolby Vision and Atmos support.

3. Amazon Fire Stick 4K is also pretty affordable, however has got no Chromecast. I'm not sure if the local TV apps like Singtel Cast etc can be installed on the stick itself? If they are able to, then this Fire Stick would be my choice since it supports Dolby Vision and Atmos. Kodi etc can be installed as well. However, I have been reading that the Amazon Prime Video app on the stick can't be used for Prime Singapore accounts? Is that true?

4th option: Chromecast Ultra dongle which has Ethernet connection. No local media playing.

Dolby Vision supported.
Dolby Atmos pass through supported.
It will work with SingTel Cast and Starhub Go.

5th option: Minix NEO U9-H, well supported under Kodi. No Dolby Vision support. But report says Dolby Atmos pass through works fine. Still the cost is high so better to spend a bit more and get Nvidia Shield TV.

All in all, it is probably between Nvidia Shield TV and Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K.

For questions related to Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, you can try to ask in this thread.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/house-displays-226/amazon-fire-tv-5742706.html

It is said in the above thread that Amazon Prime Video app on the stick does not work with the Amazon Prime Singapore account.

https://androidpctv.com/review-amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k/
The above review says Dolby Atmos is okay but no DTS support. Dolby Vision and HDR10+ are supported. Not sure about SingTel Cast.

I tend to think Nvidia Shield TV is the best option.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

littlenini

Reaction score
Hi,

any kind soul can share what apps have clear videos of
1) Taiwan Drama and variety show
2) Korea drama with eng subtitles

I have download aDrama, but seems more on HK drama.

thank you in advance :)

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

any kind soul can share what apps have clear videos of
1) Taiwan Drama and variety show
2) Korea drama with eng subtitles

I have download aDrama, but seems more on HK drama.

thank you in advance :)

Try Viu for Korean Entertainment (free). Viu Premium (paid) is also available.

Search for Android TV box related local Facebook Groups and join them for more info about apps.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any good and cheap 4gb ram s905x2 tv box to recommend?
Saw some cheap ones but not sure about the quality.

First read Page 94 to see if you really need the S905X2 box or not. If you need Netflix and Chromecast, then you should get Mi Box S. If you only need Netflix, then you can consider Mi Box S or Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K.

For S905X2 Box, I will recommend Tanix TX5 Max Or Beelink GT1 Mini. Both are very similar. Tanix is cheaper. Beelink is a better brand. Other no brand boxes like T95Q, X96 Max and H96 Max X2 are not recommended.

As for the price, previously there are good offers in Lazada due to the 7 year birthday celebration. Now the price has gone up quite a bit. For example the list price of Tanix TX5 Max was S$75 previously before coupons and credit card discount and now it is S$89.

Reference price from Taobao for Tanix TX5 Max 4GB/32GB OEM Version (no Tanix logo) is about RMB290 or S$58 now. Adding GST and shipping cost, so the fair price is about S$70-75.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.