US help.

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thks for sharing! It’s advisable to buy beforehand?

Doesn’t really matter if you buy before hand, as long as the date you pick is in the right range. But usually domestic flight price don’t fluctuate so much. Monday to Thursday flights are usually cheaper.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thks for sharing! It’s advisable to buy beforehand?

I would buy b4 hand, a week b4 my flight was $x, 6 day b4 my flight prices doubled. If I travel with a family of 4, I wouldn’t want to risk and not be able to sit on the plane together.

faithgurl

Reaction score
I would buy b4 hand, a week b4 my flight was $x, 6 day b4 my flight prices doubled. If I travel with a family of 4, I wouldn’t want to risk and not be able to sit on the plane together.

Oh, didn’t know it can fluctuate so much...so preferably to buy at least 2weeks before? Luckily have u guys here if not I would have waited till we reach before buying cos somebody has actually told me tt the nearer the dates, the prices will be cheaper but it seems otherwise. Thks guys for your valuable advices. Btw is Skiplagged the only platform that can source for cheap domestic flights? Welcome anymore suggestions. Thks so much!

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have another issue. We intend to fly to Orlando from San Fran. Heard that we can get domestic flight tickets when reaching upon San Fran & it’s usually cheaper buying nearer to departure dates. Is it true? As our flight will reach SFO in the afternoon, we are left with late afternoon to night flights. Is it safe to buy upon reaching? The chances of full flight is low? Hope you guys can advise. Thks!

This is extremely wrong. The cheapest time to buy US domestic flights is usually about 6-12 weeks out; and airlines are very good at load management, so the flights all tend to be pretty close to full, especially on a route like MCO-SFO which is going to be popular with families. Use Google Flights to find your flights.

faithgurl

Reaction score
Thks guys for your advices & recommendations. I really appreciate all your advises.

Hi shiny things,
Did you manage to check out on the laundry pricing?

Pseudomonas

Reaction score
I'll be planning a trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles.

Wondering which highway I should take:
- Highway 1 (most scenic, longest route)
- Highway 101 (in the middle)
- IS-5 (no scenery, shortest)

I have allocated around 1 day, at most 2 days for the drive down.

If I were to take highway 1, do you think it would be possible to make it in one day?
Or if we took 2 days, do you guys have any suggestions on where to stay/ eat along the way?

Thanks so much!

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If I were to take highway 1, do you think it would be possible to make it in one day?
Or if we took 2 days, do you guys have any suggestions on where to stay/ eat along the way?

Thanks so much!

Take highway 1. Stay overnight in Big Sur (if you’re fancy) or Pismo Beach (if you’re keeping it economical). Trust me on this.

Avizoa

Reaction score
Go for pch,
Stay at san Simone which is halfway to LA. However if you keep stopping to take picture your journey will be lo get and 2 days might not be enough.

Thanks so much!

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nope. Some cities have their rough bits, but those are never places you'd want to go anyway. Are there any parts you're particularly worried about?

Actually Singapore is so safe that we may forget about the danger in many parts of US, especially in some areas of big cities.

There are places you may want to go and the places themselves are okay, but the surrounding areas are not that safe.

A few examples I know of and I have been to.

1) LA, University of Southern California
2) Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania
3) Troy, up state New York, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (okay the whole Troy is not a good place, except RPI).

I always feel not that safe in big cities in US, including LA, Cleveland, Chicago and Houston. On the other hand, no such fear in Nagoya Japan and Shanghai China. But of course there are good places in these big cities as well. So one needs to be cautious and carry out research first before going.

On the other hand, there are very nice and very safe small cities and small towns in US, even in decaying city like Cleveland. Many small cities in Southern California are very nice, for example Irvine California.

Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually Singapore is so safe that we may forget about the danger in many parts of US, especially in some areas of big cities.

There are places you may want to go and the places themselves are okay, but the surrounding areas are not that safe.

A few examples I know of and I have been to.

1) LA, University of Southern California
2) Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania
3) Troy, up state New York, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (okay the whole Troy is not a good place, except RPI).

I always feel not that safe in big cities in US, including LA, Cleveland, Chicago and Houston. On the other hand, no such fear in Nagoya Japan and Shanghai China. But of course there are good places in these big cities as well. So one needs to be cautious and carry out research first before going.

On the other hand, there are very nice and very safe small cities and small towns in US, even in decaying city like Cleveland. Many small cities in Southern California are very nice, for example Irvine California.

Feeling is really subjective

Rxgn

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
planning to go west coast in late feb 2020. first timer

land SFO, drive down via highway 1 to LA then to VEGAS, dropping by hoover dam then to GC then back to LAS or LAX to fly home.

wondering is 12 days are tight?

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
planning to go west coast in late feb 2020. first timer

land SFO, drive down via highway 1 to LA then to VEGAS, dropping by hoover dam then to GC then back to LAS or LAX to fly home.

wondering is 12 days are tight?

12 days is going to be a little tight for that. If you can stretch it three or four days that'll be perfect.

The Grand Canyon is gonna be COLD that time of year, though, just warning you.

Rxgn

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I dont want to venture too far away from vegas but yet want to see the original sights of GC. Is south rim good enough?

Vegas to south rim is about 4 hr? We can drive to GC, park overnight, stay in hotel overnight right? What is the reasonable time needed at south rim?

Sent from Samsung SM-G885F using GAGT

hawkwind

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I dont want to venture too far away from vegas but yet want to see the original sights of GC. Is south rim good enough?

Vegas to south rim is about 4 hr? We can drive to GC, park overnight, stay in hotel overnight right? What is the reasonable time needed at south rim?

Sent from Samsung SM-G885F using GAGT

How long is enough for GC depends on you. From The Central village, there are numerous viewpoints all along the rim to the left and right. The former is accessible on the park bus while you can drive your car on the right side. You can stop at every viewpoint if you want which can take a day or just a few since they are variations of the same canyon. You can also trek down the canyon if you want to experience more. Stay inside the official park lodges if you don’t mind paying more or the small town just outside and drive or take shuttle into the park.

If you don’t plan to come by this area again, consider extending your trip to see Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend at Page. Quite different and worthwhile. Quite close is also Monument Valley which is also very scenic. Lastly, for an extra day, drive out further to Arches NP to see some fantastic rock formations which for me was the most memorable when I did the Grand Circle trip. Arches requires at least a day plus since some walking is needed to see the best arches.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.