Detention barrack experience / info

80Mrss

Reaction score
HK = High Key Training

LK = Low Key Training

Both are in reference to reservist training.

In total, NS Men will have to complete 3 Low Key and 7 High Key training once they are done with their, typically, 2 year NSF training period.

I see. Thank u.

incubus22

Reaction score
I see. Thank u.
I know it's probably hard to console you by asking you not worry but he'll be treated with respect as long as he respects the house rules.
He'll get all the assistance he needs like counseling sessions. His commanders will also be there periodically to check on him. There will be a medical officer on the ground daily should he have any medical needs.

Sent from Sony Xperia XZ2! using GAGT

80Mrss

Reaction score
I know it's probably hard to console you by asking you not worry but he'll be treated with respect as long as he respects the house rules.
He'll get all the assistance he needs like counseling sessions. His commanders will also be there periodically to check on him. There will be a medical officer on the ground daily should he have any medical needs.

Thank you. I don't expect it to be a great experience for him, want him to learn a lesson but also want him to be treated fairly. Feel better now knowing it won't happen if he is disciplined.

By the way, I saw a couple of detainees doing gardening when I visited. Looks like they were a bit 'free' to roam. Is that for good behaviour?

Adt007

Reaction score
By the way, I saw a couple of detainees doing gardening when I visited. Looks like they were a bit 'free' to roam. Is that for good behaviour?

Those wearing white shirt and blue shorts ? They belong to Jehovah Witness. Their religion forbid them to carry arms. So all of them are send to DB to work admin, housekeeping, make coffee for you-know-who etc. Total 39 months spend in DB. But don't need to serve NS.

" When a young man turns 18 years of age, he is required to enter Singapore’s military. If he refuses for reasons of conscience, he is detained for up to 15 months in a military camp. At the expiration of his term, he is released and then immediately ordered to don a military uniform and participate in military training. If he again declines to do so, he is subject to a second court martial with a term of up to 24 months. "

Last edited:

Adt007

Reaction score
Dear TS, I found this post for you.

okay since a few want me to share i will just share what i have experienced not a lot since i am only a short term stayer over there. Depending on your situation, if you got arrested for AWOL outside by the MP (military police) you will be handcuffed to the DB place (not very sure camp name and where since i was arrested at night just know its near mowbay road). they will take down your particulars while your handcuffed and asked to face the wall...take urine test to check if you are under drugs and you will be ask to hand over ur belongings, even spectacles unless its plastic(prob scared u commit suicide),strip and wear a yellow t-shirt with blue colored shorts and then you get send to a holding cell...same like db cell. there is a small gap in the bottom side of the cell big enuf for ur hand to slide thru so you get ur food/drink over there. You stay there for like up to a day while you wait for your sentence. Inside the cell theres a wall and theres toilet (squatting type), a small type of well with a bucket for you to bath, drink, brush ur teeth. Once you get charged and you only pay a fine you get out otherwise if they decide to investigate further/sentenced to go to DB you will be brought to DB. If you get charged in camp you would most prob be sent to DB directly.

Inside DB you have to address all SAF MPs as sir. After that you will be brought to the main building with an orange gate. Theres a yellow line and you must note that every time you see a yellow line, you must stop and say, "permission to carry on sir!' or if theres 2 and more of you being brought to a place, 1 detainee would have to say, "1,2,3 and everyone of the detainee would have to say permission to carry on sir! and you will carry on if the SAF MP gives you the permission. If its an orange gate you have to say good morning sir and ask for permission like what i said above, more than 1 detainee to cross the gate one guy say, "greet 1,2,3, then everyone say good morning sir!, 1,2,3, permission to carry on sir!" and if your the first to cross the gate you must say, "1 sir!', next guy that cross say, "2 sir!' till the last guy that cross the gate must say his no xxx sir but also say, 'xxx number is the last number sir!' must be synchronised when you say that, like marching else you will be ask to repeat again.

You will find that every room has a yellow line you will be taken to a room where your asked to strip (check for injuries and tattoos)and wear another yellow t-shirt with blue shorts. You will be classified under 3 categories: CA (stands for close arrest), CD(stands for corrective detainee) for first timer, SUS(stands for soldier under sentence) second and subsequent timer. This new yellow T-shirt will have the Abbreviation on which category u belong to with a number below it. E.g. if your a second timer, you will be given a yellow t-shirt with the words SUS and a number below it. You wear plastic slippers thru the remainder of your sentence. There you will be given a straw mat, a green colored cup with the number samed as your T-shirt no, toothbrush with the same no, shaver with the same no, green colored blanket,exercise book, soap container with soap, a card holder with a white paper inside it that states your particulars, offence committed. sort of a 11B and your asked to pick a religious book. This and particulars done, fill up parent visit form(parents allowed to visit on mon,wed,fri unless special parent visit is granted for half an hr), your taken to a cell same as the holding cell i mentioned earlier. under a building which also classifies you into first timer, second timer, third and subsequent timer e.t.c.

90% of people in DB are awolees, the extreme cases being charged for going out for 15 mins to buy food and end up 7 days db, or 8 months awol charged 5 days db.
no mirrors in toilet, only plastic specs allowed (prob scared u commit suicide). Mon-Fri have to do regime (sandbag drill) for first timer, less for subsequent timers, sandbag around 20kg (like field pack). Before you do sandbag, they will get MO to check if your fit to do sandbag drill according to your PES status. Regime's around 8:30 to 10:30, not sure of time cos never see the time, around 8 pm rollcoll, 9 pm to 6 am lights out (sleep).

You will realise everything in DB you have to ask for permission, even
when you have to take your food in from the cell! my cellmate who been to changi prison told me even prison dont have something like this. Lamest thing ever. Most MPs are ok, but there are some guai lan ones including one chinese fat guy who wear specs that make u knock it down 20 if you dont greet properly/if ur voice is not loud enuf during rollcall. Can try complaining abt MPs when ur released, but you guys know how SAF is like.

JW (jehovah witness) are given the same outfit except they wear white T-shirts with no number. They have to serve for 3 years 3 months inside DB, never allowed to go home and when they leave the army, no reservist for them. They basically do the "household chores" in DB (cook the food, wash the clothes), e.t.c. However, they do not need to ask for permission this and that or call SAF MPs and sir and they can walk around DB/ play basketball

and yes, time in DB do not count in NS, altho a general guideline for Awolees is 1 day db = 2 day of awol, but not every case turn out that way like i mentioned earlier. This guideline, however, only applies to first-timers ONLY. Subsequent awol cases is treated as 1 day awol = 1 day DB. So if you already decided to awol, might as well awol as long as u can since the time u awol is counted as doing NS. just remember that after 21 days, theres a warrant of arrest out for you and if you get caught and court-martialed, the sentence is heavier and will not follow the guideline, so don't open the door lolx if you see 4 plain clothes guy knocking on the door and dont stay at home for like say the 1st month

incubus22

Reaction score
Thank you. I don't expect it to be a great experience for him, want him to learn a lesson but also want him to be treated fairly. Feel better now knowing it won't happen if he is disciplined.

They're most likely Johovah Witness or JW as we call them.
They serve their NS time in DB for refusing to take up arms and be a uniform soldier.
I'm pretty sure your child will learn from this. Let's hope he'll wake up after this ordeal.

80Mrss

Reaction score
They're most likely Johovah Witness or JW as we call them.
They serve their NS time in DB for refusing to take up arms and be a uniform soldier.
I'm pretty sure your child will learn from this. Let's hope he'll wake up after this ordeal.

2 years DB and dont get to go home at all? Omg. A bit too much I feel.
Thank you, I hope so too.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Serving is not a choice, but how to serve is a choice. So they are happy so nothing to feel too much about.

They value their religion more than freedom. Who are we to say no to that?

Adt007

Reaction score

3 years 3 months to be exact.

When u saw them, do u see them happy or sad ? JW very easy to recognise, they have peace written all over their face. They show no sign of anger at all. And they are treated well by the MPs.

incubus22

Reaction score
Don't worry too much. While in DB may not be the most comfortable place to be in, there's no abuse of authority.
Visit him weekly. That'll help to keep his morale high.

80Mrss

Reaction score
3 years 3 months to be exact.

When u saw them, do u see them happy or sad ? JW very easy to recognise, they have peace written all over their face. They show no sign of anger at all. And they are treated well by the MPs.

Yes they smiled and looked content. Feel bad for them though, 3 years without going home. But then again govt have to do that else others will want the same. Do they at least get open visits?

80Mrss

Reaction score
Don't worry too much. While in DB may not be the most comfortable place to be in, there's no abuse of authority.
Visit him weekly. That'll help to keep his morale high.

Definitely will. Thank u.

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am not sure about Johovah Witness (JW) but will it be better to re-deployed them to SCDF to contribute to Singapore if the reason is just cannot take up arms? Not sure about the 'uniform' part but they wear uniform to save life and not to fight war.

Adt007

Reaction score
I am not sure about Johovah Witness (JW) but will it be better to re-deployed them to SCDF to contribute to Singapore if the reason is just cannot take up arms? Not sure about the 'uniform' part but they wear uniform to save life and not to fight war.

Cannot. They are charged in court and have to serve a prison term. Mean cannot see outside world. You let them go SCDF they can go outside see chio bu and got freedom. Like this every slacker will declare themselves as JW to avoid NS.

And most important of all, who will make morning coffee for the MPs ??? :D

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You see how many ppl suddenly become JW.

btsarmy

Reaction score
Hi all, my boyfriend recently went into DB for AWOL. wanted to ask, why is the charge so serious? He was charged 40 days for one day of AWOL. Also wondering how they receive/write letters and whether there are phone calls allowed? He is due to come out on the 4th of Sep, but it was originally the 15th of Sep. The officer said that they will be bringing him back to his camp. So was wondering, does that mean his sentence was lifted/appeal went through? (his parents called to try and appeal.) And when he is brought back to camp, will he be allowed to communicate with anyone/go back to his usual NS routine before he POP? Thanks.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, my boyfriend recently went into DB for AWOL. wanted to ask, why is the charge so serious? He was charged 40 days for one day of AWOL. Also wondering how they receive/write letters and whether there are phone calls allowed? He is due to come out on the 4th of Sep, but it was originally the 15th of Sep. The officer said that they will be bringing him back to his camp. So was wondering, does that mean his sentence was lifted/appeal went through? (his parents called to try and appeal.) And when he is brought back to camp, will he be allowed to communicate with anyone/go back to his usual NS routine before he POP? Thanks.
Cause AWOL is that serious.
Ask his parents
Ask his parents to ask

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.