Home Automation Enthusiasts

collectees

Reaction score
So far most of the energy monitoring features are built into smart plugs.

Has anyone come across options for smart switches with built in energy monitoring?

endrue

Reaction score
JjeWseD.jpg

Bought some from Lazada(https://is.gd/5o4Z39), came with above features which is not bad.

Has anyone come across options for smart switches with built in energy monitoring?

Last edited:

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score

I am using the Kasa and Meross smart plugs. Reason for the variation is because the Meross smart plugs can actually fit inside my cable management compartment where my wall switches are located.

Best part is not only can you monitor the current power draw, weekly and monthly report of your usage but... the fact that I can set timings on them. So for example, with the charger plug where all my charging devices are connected to, I can set it to turn off after 2 hours which is the typical time it takes to make sure all devices such as my phone is topped up to full and it prevents the device from overcharging for too long.

I can also set timings of when it should turn on and off. How is this useful? Well I can leave all my devices plugged in and just go to bed. At for example 4 a.m., I can set it to turn on and thus charge my devices. By 6 a.m., all devices are charged and the smart plug turns itself off. This ensures that by morning, you'll have a phone idling at 100% as opposed to losing charge at night and waking up to maybe 95%.

Also, both smart plugs are compatible with Amazon Alexa. So in 1 command, I can turn it on or off and even combine it as a group with my Hue light and Broadlink to turn on my airconditioner. This means that with 1 Alexa command, I can literally set the room lighting, turn on the aircon and turn on my PC all at once. Quite useful I'd say.

Last edited:

collectees

Reaction score
I am using the Kasa and Meross smart plugs. Reason for the variation is because the Meross smart plugs can actually fit inside my cable management compartment where my wall switches are located.

Best part is not only can you monitor the current power draw, weekly and monthly report of your usage but... the fact that I can set timings on them. So for example, with the charger plug where all my charging devices are connected to, I can set it to turn off after 2 hours which is the typical time it takes to make sure all devices such as my phone is topped up to full and it prevents the device from overcharging for too long.

I can also set timings of when it should turn on and off. How is this useful? Well I can leave all my devices plugged in and just go to bed. At for example 4 a.m., I can set it to turn on and thus charge my devices. By 6 a.m., all devices are charged and the smart plug turns itself off. This ensures that by morning, you'll have a phone idling at 100% as opposed to losing charge at night and waking up to maybe 95%.

Also, both smart plugs are compatible with Amazon Alexa. So in 1 command, I can turn it on or off and even combine it as a group with my Hue light and Broadlink to turn on my airconditioner. This means that with 1 Alexa command, I can literally set the room lighting, turn on the aircon and turn on my PC all at once. Quite useful I'd say.

Thank you for sharing your cool setup, I use GH and I see that it is supported by both Kasa and Meross.

Are you referring to the Meross Smart WiFi Plug with Energy Monitor and Kasa Wi-Fi Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring?

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your cool setup, I use GH and I see that it is supported by both Kasa and Meross.

Are you referring to the Meross Smart WiFi Plug with Energy Monitor and Kasa Wi-Fi Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring?

You are on point! It's those 2. Honestly, both apps look almost identically the same due to both having the same feature sets. You can go with any of them and be happy with either. Both are bought in Singapore. Kasa via Qoo10 and Meross via Carousell.

Kasa
TI7bsvP.png

BTMMEZX.png

Meross
Aem4Ts9.png

hhY0lc4.png

Last edited:

collectees

Reaction score
The Aqara Neutral switches feature energy monitoring

This is an interesting find and I like that it's by Xiaomi, I already use several of their products. In fact, I have the Aqara IP camera!

I see that you are using several of these from a previous discussion where the non-neutral version kept dying on you. I read through Aqara's catalog but there is no mention of energy monitoring. Is this a feature that they recently introduced in their app or are you using a different app?

AsusEpoxy

Master Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting find and I like that it's by Xiaomi, I already use several of their products. In fact, I have the Aqara IP camera!

I see that you are using several of these from a previous discussion where the non-neutral version kept dying on you. I read through Aqara's catalog but there is no mention of energy monitoring. Is this a feature that they recently introduced in their app or are you using a different app?

the non neutral ones dont feature, but the neutral ones do. its been there for some time actually.

collectees

Reaction score

zoneguard

Reaction score

collectees

Reaction score
You can consider the Xiaomi Aqara "Two-way control module Wireless Relay Controller " as well.

Connection Diagram 1:
HTB1wg.eKSzqK1RjSZFLq6An2XXav.jpg

Connection Diagram 2:
HTB1JiAeKSzqK1RjSZFL763n2XXa1.png

Thank you for chiming in! I want to continue with Xiaomi's ecosystem as I use several of their products. I was unable to find much details about this product, but it does have energy monitoring.

How do you get Aqara's range of wall switches or wireless relay to work with voice command via Google Home?

zoneguard

Reaction score
How do you get Aqara's range of wall switches or wireless relay to work with voice command via Google Home?
Most people would use either Home Assistant or OpenHAB. I use HA and then my voice can go through either GH or Alexa to control my devices.

collectees

Reaction score
Most people would use either Home Assistant or OpenHAB. I use HA and then my voice can go through either GH or Alexa to control my devices.

Did I understand this correctly?

Hardware: Install the Aqara wireless relay at the ceiling light and pair it with the Aqara wireless switch so that I can control the light manually or with voice.
Software: Use Home Assistant or OpenHAB to bridge between GH and the hardware since GH does not directly support the hardware.

zoneguard

Reaction score
Did I understand this correctly?

Hardware: Install the Aqara wireless relay at the ceiling light and pair it with the Aqara wireless switch so that I can control the light manually or with voice.
Software: Use Home Assistant or OpenHAB to bridge between GH and the hardware since GH does not directly support the hardware.

You need another piece of hardware as the wireless switch can't pair directly with the relay. Xiaomi Mijia gateway is recommended over Aqara gateway due to the LAN mode support you need for HA/openHAB to talk to the gateway. Another route: use zigbee2mqtt CC2531 dongle. Some of us migrated from the Xiaomi gateway to zigbee2mqtt as this is compatible to a growing list of Zigbee device and actively developed. Xiaomi's one only supports their own ecosystem.

collectees

Reaction score
You need another piece of hardware as the wireless switch can't pair directly with the relay. Xiaomi Mijia gateway is recommended over Aqara gateway due to the LAN mode support you need for HA/openHAB to talk to the gateway. Another route: use zigbee2mqtt CC2531 dongle. Some of us migrated from the Xiaomi gateway to zigbee2mqtt as this is compatible to a growing list of Zigbee device and actively developed. Xiaomi's one only supports their own ecosystem.

Looks like I'll need to get my hands on a set of gateway/relay/switch and experiment from there!

Vulpix

Reaction score
Is there a consensus on the most "reliable" smart switch yet? I'm looking at Sonoff T1 UK, but it seems it's not easy to buy this locally? I looking to buy something reliable with neutral.

233mmx

Reaction score
Is there a consensus on the most "reliable" smart switch yet? I'm looking at Sonoff T1 UK, but it seems it's not easy to buy this locally? I looking to buy something reliable with neutral.

U can buy from Aliexpress. Look for sellers with good ratings.

My non-neutral switches from Broadlink are still working well after more than 2 years. So far 2 of them kaput but I have tried successfully to claim for replacement within 1 year period which they honoured.

zoneguard

Reaction score
Lazada,Shopee,Qoo10, Taobao, Carousell, Aliexpress etc. Buy from physical brick and mortar store?? I highly doubt you can find one.

Buy from sellers with good ratings and reviews and good sales lor.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.