Need help with my new SFF build

xiaodouya

Reaction score
Need help to rebuild a new one with a budget of 1k-1.5k
I would like the case to go as small as possible, my last case was NZXT Phantom 410 (very bulky in my room).
appreciate your help and time in this

my usage priority is as ranked:
  1. surf net/listen music on spotify, youtube for long hours/watch movie (ventilation?)
  2. running IT software such as IDE/Data Visualization/RPA tools/Photoshop/Video editor/unity
  3. playing steam basic games, not too intensive (i have consoles for games)

I have these items left from my last build that I can reuse:
  • GFX: MSI GTX 770 2GB Twin Frozr
  • DVD ROM: LG DVD-RW SATA OEM
  • SSD: Plextor M5S 128GB
  • HDD 1: Seagate 3TB Barracuda
  • HDD 2: Seagate 4TB Barracuda
  • not 4k Monitor, mouse and keyboard

Your recommendations:
  1. CPU - have been using Intel, would you recommend AMD too?
  2. MB
  3. RAM
  4. Casing
  5. PSU
  6. GFX - maybe can skip?
  7. (reuse) SSD: Plextor M5S 128GB
  8. (reuse) HDD 1: Seagate 3TB Barracuda
  9. (reuse) HDD 2: Seagate 4TB Barracuda
  10. (reuse) OS: Windows 10
  11. (reuse) not 4k Monitor, mouse and keyboard

Last edited:

Shahmatt

Reaction score
You can consider the AMD Raven Ridge APUs, either the 2200G or 2400G.

Or you can wait for the upcoming 3000 series APU, which should be sometime this quarter or early next quarter I think.

For light to medium gaming you won't need the GFX as the APUs are more than capable.

If you can substitute the 3.5" HDDs for new 2.5" SSD or HDDs that would be better for SFF.

Some cases you can consider are the Inwin Chopin, or for really small, Realan's stuff like the E-W80 using pico-PSU or the like with external AC adapter.

xiaodouya

Reaction score
You can consider the AMD Raven Ridge APUs, either the 2200G or 2400G.

Or you can wait for the upcoming 3000 series APU, which should be sometime this quarter or early next quarter I think.

For light to medium gaming you won't need the GFX as the APUs are more than capable.

If you can substitute the 3.5" HDDs for new 2.5" SSD or HDDs that would be better for SFF.

Some cases you can consider are the Inwin Chopin, or for really small, Realan's stuff like the E-W80 using pico-PSU or the like with external AC adapter.

thanks with the help.

i am not sure if the IT softwares i am using can be supported by AMDs instead of Intel, this would be one concern.

I can't change HDD to the smaller version at the moment, plus, these HDDs are just purchased.

Both Inwin Chopin and E-W80 are really good choices but I can't fit 2x 3.5" HDDs in them, i guess there's a compromise in this.

Shutterbox

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For 2 3.5" hdd n 1 SSDs, u can check out cooler master cm110. U need to check out the supported gfx length though

xiaodouya

Reaction score
For 2 3.5" hdd n 1 SSDs, u can check out cooler master cm110. U need to check out the supported gfx length though

went to check this out and felt like not much ventilation and cramping those wires (not that i have experience in building a pc)

maybe i can allow a little bigger than this but smaller than previously proposed nzxt h200i

nzxt h200i size was alright too, but will have to contain those 2x 3.5" hdd

xiaodouya

Reaction score
Cool! I have shortlisted these 3 (Fractual Design core 500/Corsair Crystal Series 280X/Inwin A1) at the moment then, with FP core 500 being first as the other two are more for RGB which I don need and the fancy tempered glass that i hate to leave my fingerprints on. The local shops does not seem to carry the non-RGB version.

CPU -
MB - (asus has lucky draw, is there any good MB or do I go with Asrock again?)
RAM -
Casing
  • Fractual Design Core 500 ITX (PC Themes: $99)
  • Corsair Crystal Series 280X (TradePac)
  • Inwin A1 Black (PC Themes: $259)
PSU -

Now I will need to think about these.. even though Shahmatt proposed AMD Raven Ridge APUs, I am not so sure about it running those IT softwares I mentioned. In my work, I usually see Intel core mentioned for support. This PC could be used as an Developer environment to run those thousands of data, do i need to go i7?

Last edited:

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IT softwares generally run on almost anything. Even a laptop i5 is fine. Nothing too powerful needed. Google for <insert tools/software name> on Ryzen, you should get some results you need pertaining the performance and usability of the tools you need on Ryzen with people sharing their experience on some website/forums. Generally is okay, except Arduino I think. I'm no developer, don't quote me on this. If you wanna do data crunching, you need a good SSD and a decent multi-threaded cpu. Ryzen 7 would work well (based on specs) and you won't need to spend so much on Intel, especially 9th Gen i7 don't come with hyper threading anyway.

My take on your use case would be the following:

1. ITX for small footprint
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (with AMD Wraith Spire cooler)
MOBO: MSI B450i Gaming Plus AC (capable of handling the above 8 core CPU)
RAM: anything cheap for 2933/3000mhz, recommended to get from Newegg. If can afford, go for 32gb. G.skill Sniper X series is a possible consideration.
PSU: Superflower Leadex ECO Silver 600W (no comments needed, Superflower is the Mercedes for PSU)
Chassis:Thermaltake Core V1 (inexpensive, small enough on the table, big enough to work inside without much squeezing, decent ventilation, can fit your 2x 3.5 inches HDD)
GPU: *reuse until die, find something cheap in future*

Add 2x Arctic F8 at the rear of the chassis for exhaust if you are realllllllllllly that concern for airflow.

2. mATX for flexibility and not-too-big footprint
*use everything mentioned above, except the following*
- Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar (Titanium version for white colour scheme, whichever available locally or at the shop)
- Chassis: Fractal Design Focus G Mini (buy additional 120mm fans out behind for exhaust)

All the other chassis is either too big (Corsair 280X) or expensive (Inwin A1 and Fractal Design Core 500)

Consider getting a bigger decent ssd like Crucial MX500 or Samsung 860 Evo if you need storage speed, since you will be crunching data and bigger ssd have better write endurance. Your 128gb may not have enough speed, and given the age, not sure how well is it holding up.

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A3003 using GAGT

Last edited:

-Synchronicity-

Reaction score
Superflower leadex ii gold is also available at 139 on Lazada. Buy this if you forsee yourself turning on your PC for more then 12 hours a day.

Alternatively, you can pay a little more at 153 for seasonic focus plus for 10 years warranty. Same awesome quality as the superflower but double the warranty.

Of course the 99 superflower is the best value option.

Last edited:

xiaodouya

Reaction score
rounding up the build and having some questions now..

build discussed so far:
CPU - AMD RYZEN 7 2700 8-Core 3.2 GHz ($375.49 - Newegg, $648 + MB from PC themes)
MB - MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX ($187.43 - Newegg)
RAM - G.SKILL Sniper X Series 32GB DDR4 3000 288-PIN ($249.09 - Newegg | limited lifetime warranty)
Casing - Thermaltake Core V1 ($79 - PC Themes/Lazada)
PSU - Superflower Leadex II Gold 650W ($139 - Lazada | 5 years warranty)

1) From your suggested items, seems like some items like MB, CPU, RAM are cheaper in newegg, but no mention of warranty for MB and CPU.. I guess it might be harder to RMA as there's no local warranty but RAM is another story with limited lifetime warranty
2) What should I be concerned with other than warranty if I buy CPU + MB from newegg vs local shops?
3) How does Superflower fare against Seasonic in terms of performance if Superflower is the mercedes of PSU? In my previous build, my PSU of FSP 80+ Platinum 650W broke down at the last year (8 or 10 years of warranty). The warranty was useful for me to RMA and then sell it.
4) G.SKILL Sniper X Series 32GB DDR4 3000 - I looked at some of the performance benchmark of 3000 vs 3600, it looks like there is not much incentive to spend more money for the better model right?
5) Can I switch out the MB to an asus one when they are currently having a lucky draw?
6) Having this build ready, the last question will be whether to wait for the next gen Ryzen of 7nm coming out this year right?

Last edited:

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Asus mobo is on the high side + u need to buy locally, not from newegg/amazon.

Shahmatt

Reaction score

Shahmatt

Reaction score
Also. IMO it is best to buy the motherboard at least from SG as under the local warranty it is easier to have replaced or repaired.

Shutterbox

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not considering corsair carbide air 240?
Good storage for disks
Spacious for motherboard n gfx with clear air flow

-Synchronicity-

Reaction score

build discussed so far:
CPU - AMD RYZEN 7 2700 8-Core 3.2 GHz ($375.49 - Newegg, $648 + MB from PC themes)
RAM - G.SKILL Sniper X Series 32GB DDR4 3000 288-PIN ($249.09 - Newegg | limited lifetime warranty)

1) From your suggested items, seems like some items like MB, CPU, RAM are cheaper in newegg, but no mention of warranty for MB and CPU.. I guess it might be harder to RMA as there's no local warranty but RAM is another story with limited lifetime warranty
2) What should I be concerned with other than warranty if I buy CPU + MB from newegg vs local shops?
3) How does Superflower fare against Seasonic in terms of performance if Superflower is the mercedes of PSU? In my previous build, my PSU of FSP 80+ Platinum 650W broke down at the last year (8 or 10 years of warranty). The warranty was useful for me to RMA and then sell it.
4) G.SKILL Sniper X Series 32GB DDR4 3000 - I looked at some of the performance benchmark of 3000 vs 3600, it looks like there is not much incentive to spend more money for the better model right?
5) Can I switch out the MB to an asus one when they are currently having a lucky draw?
6) Having this build ready, the last question will be whether to wait for the next gen Ryzen of 7nm coming out this year right?

1. For those items, cpu should be the easiest as it does have international warranty. Just drop an email to amd and they will advise you on the steps. Ram and motherboard, you would need to ship to US for RMA after contacting the Brand's support. Some might not entertain buyers from outside US.

2. Bad handling of products by courier

3. For this particular model, is like BMW?

4. Yes. 3000/3200mhz is the sweet spot for ram speed and cost

5. Only for local Asus board. MSI boards are way better though

6. If you can wait, why not?

t258jgn

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Seasonic Focus Plus 650FX PSU better for your casing as the PSU is shorter length.

build discussed so far:

xiaodouya

Reaction score
According to this reddit take on gigabyte launch, seems like may 27 might be the date for launch of zen 2. I will wait then since it will take me another one more month before the announcement at AMD

In any ways, thanks for all your help. if i can't wait within these few weeks, then i will get this build!
RAM - 32GB DDR4 3000
Carbide Series™ Air 240 High Airflow MicroATX and Mini-ITX PC Case ($139 Bizgram)
PSU - Seasonic Focus Plus 650FX Gold ($159 - PC Themes)

Also, based on this reddit rumour on that MSI won't support Ryzen 3000 on *any* B350/X370 boards, its a surprise that you guys propose b450i which might support zen 2.

Last edited:

MajiMax

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can consider SilverStone SG13 with front panel with faux aluminum finish for a smaller ITX casing which max gpu length is 266mm and height is 129mm.

Need low cpu cooler like Noctua NH-L9a-AM4.

SilverStone 500W SX500-LG comes with SFX to ATX bracket, so can save headroom between cpu cooler and PSU.

harharhar

Reaction score
Can consider SilverStone SG13 with front panel with faux aluminum finish for a smaller ITX casing which max gpu length is 266mm and height is 129mm.

Need low cpu cooler like Noctua NH-L9a-AM4.

SilverStone 500W SX500-LG comes with SFX to ATX bracket, so can save headroom between cpu cooler and PSU.

I'm using AIO cooler with SG13 --->

Ind1go

Reaction score
I think the Cougar QBX is an excellent case and it can support a variety of cooler heights depending on the parts you choose.

You can also use non-SFX PSU, but max 140mm length. Although I went with the SF600 Plat so I had future upgrade paths.

For reference, I am using a Noctua C12P SE14 as my CPU cooler, and I still managed to stick a slim 120mm fan just directly on top as an intake.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.