Advice Needed! ! ! BTO Tengah or BTO Boon Lay Glade / Jurong West Jewel ??

fireflyhigh

Reaction score
Very jialat very tense situation! My cousin and his gf very fierce quarrel and tension over the choice of BTO application.

Home experts! Appreciate all your advice and opinions here.

Where will you choose and why, if you are in their shoes?
BTO Boon Lay Glade/Jurong West Jewel or BTO Tengah??

Assuming both have already narrow down their options and are only interested in the above 2 choices.

Both have intention to stay there (preferred BTO area) for at least 10 to 15 years before they decided to updrade/downgrade/move.

Both only love WEST area as they grown up their entire life there.

Case:
My younger guy cousin (Jeremiah) and his gf (Alicia) wanted to settle down together and married and stay together.

- Both are poly graduates
- Both are around 25 years old
- Combined income around 4.5k to 5k
- Both families stay at Jurong East/West area
- Both only wanted to choose BTO 3 Bedroom

Reasons why my guy cousin keen on BTO Boon Lay Glade/Jurong West Jewel only:
- Near to parents house (proximity grant)
- More convenience to shopping malls like Jurong Point, J Cube, Jem , IMM etc
- Walking distance to MRT (Boon Lay/Pioneer)
- Nearer to Jurong Lake Garden (new and revamping)
- More choices of hawker centers and affordable food options
- Near to coffee shops that serve affordable food
- Near to 24 hours NTUC (Jurong Point)
- Nearer to future JURONG LAKE DISTRICT (future second CBD)
- Higher future resale value after 10 to 15 years

Reasons why my cousin gf keen on BTO Tengah only:
- Near to parents house (proximity grant)
- Higher future resale value after 10 to 15 years when more amenities, malls, infrastructure, facilities, MRT stations, schools, child care centers are built etc

Assuming after 10 to 15 years, which area will have higher resale value? When my cousin and his wife got kid and decided to move.

Cheers guys!

PS: I advice my cousin that BTO Boon Lay Glade/Jurong West Jewel is my preferred choice in my opinion. Why? Because I don't think BTO Tengah will be fully developed even after 15 to 20 years. Will need around 30 years in my opinion. Hence, resale prices will not appreciate much.

You look at Pungol for example. Even after 20 years now since its first BTO flat, now Punggol also building new BTO flats. Punggol area is not yet 100% fully developed in 20 years.

Both are ULU places, but TENGAH is way more ULU.

fotoudavid

Reaction score
No body can predict the future. If just choices, I pick Tengah. New estate with innovation centre.

light84

Reaction score
Pick Jurong cos everything is there already. If u sell next time also less competition cos nearby mostly older flats. Also dun have to compete for childcare and primary school cos mature population.

Tengah amenities will take many years to be up and to fully realized. And will have competition for childcare and primary school. Just look at Slumggol and Slumkang.

slogd3ad

Reaction score
BTO only have AHG & SHG grant.
Proximity grant only applicable for resale.

In this situation, for BTO Boon Lay/Jurong West... your cousin is eligible for SHG.

For BTO Tengah, your cousin is eligible for AHG & SHG.

Just to be clear about the grant thingy. :)

cashec

Reaction score
The application is already over for Boon Lay Glade/Jurong West Jewel. If your cousin already have a good number within the number of units, isn't the choice is to go for it?

I guess maybe he going to apply May Tengah BTO too. Have to see if he apply May BTO and know the result in time before selection start. It's hard to get a queue number.

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
BTO only have AHG & SHG grant.
Proximity grant only applicable for resale.

In this situation, for BTO Boon Lay/Jurong West... your cousin is eligible for SHG.

For BTO Tengah, your cousin is eligible for AHG & SHG.

Just to be clear about the grant thingy. :)

Why not eligible for ahg?

Ahg is available for any applicants as long as average combined income is under $5k for the past 12 months prior to application. And open to all flat sizes be it bto or sobf, mature or non mature estates.

Last edited:

8zaoyu

Reaction score
The application is already over for Boon Lay Glade/Jurong West Jewel. If your cousin already have a good number within the number of units, isn't the choice is to go for it?

I guess maybe he going to apply May Tengah BTO too. Have to see if he apply May BTO and know the result in time before selection start. It's hard to get a queue number.

Correct to say that if they do not get a choice unit 'cos of poor queue number, then should go for the next rounds of Tengah BTOs, more yet to come at Tengeh. Proximity grant may be for resale HDB, but to ensure you get priority (or better queue number) over other applicants and if they are first-timers, they should use Married (or confirmed Marrying) Child/Parents Priority Scheme (aka MCPS). Warning: Try not to use MGPS (Multi Generation Priority Scheme, usually the oldies find that they are quite reluctant to uproot themselves from where they have lived and cannot sell their old flat at good prices later. The oldies may even find themselves "kick out" after staying 5 years with their child and child in-law.

slogd3ad

Reaction score
Why not eligible for ahg?

Ahg is available for any applicants as long as average combined income is under $5k for the past 12 months prior to application. And open to all flat sizes be it bto or sobf, mature or non mature estates.

My bad, I mixed up.

BTO Jurong West: the cousin can receive grant AHG only.
BTO Tengah: can receive AHG & SHG.

SHG only for non-mature estate.
Proximity grant for resale.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

dynlim

Reaction score
Man cannot beat women’s opinion... case closed... (joking...)

Both Jurong/Tengah consider non-mature area, and both of them are able to get the AHG/SHG.

Tengah full of opportunity and up-to-date amenities, better living environment (tend to more natural, fresh air etc) 😆

sunstarsunset

Reaction score
Agree here - Both Jurong/Tengah consider non-mature area, and both of them are able to get the AHG/SHG.

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My bad, I mixed up.

BTO Jurong West: the cousin can receive grant AHG only.
BTO Tengah: can receive AHG & SHG.

SHG only for non-mature estate.
Proximity grant for resale.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Partly correct..

AHG open for all flat size, mature & non-mature, combined income under $5k
SHG only for 4rm and below in non-mature estate, combined income under $8.5k

Your cousin buy 5rm?

fireflyhigh

Reaction score
Partly correct..

AHG open for all flat size, mature & non-mature, combined income under $5k
SHG only for 4rm and below in non-mature estate, combined income under $8.5k

Your cousin buy 5rm?

thanks for advice!

my cousin and his fiancee applying for 3 Room BTO.
4 room/5 Room BTO they mentioned they don't need such big space and will be finacially stressed.

3 Room BTO best for their earnings and lifestyle

fireflyhigh

Reaction score
you are right bro

i think my cousin eligible for both AHG and SHG

he and gf combined income 4.5k (Less than 5 k)

he also first time applying for BTO (currently staying with parents)

BTO Jurong or BTO Tengah both are at NON MATURE area, so both grants also are eligible

fireflyhigh

Reaction score
why stop reading at combined income 4.5k leh bro?

4.5k for couple income okay lah, not very high. they are young couple just started in life working and now planning early for future

fireflyhigh

Reaction score
sorry my bad.

you are right bro, proximity grant not eligible for my cousin and his gf applying for BTO in non mature areas.

proximity grant only for resale HDB, you are right to correct

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.