[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghgan1

Reaction score
You need to use a mod firmware to boot from a micro sd card and do some configuration from linux command line.

https://github.com/EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks

After which, u can use synology to configure a custom ip cam setup.

Downside of the mod firmware is not stable and night vision is not stable and video can turn black and white at times.

Best is to invest in xiaomi 360 ip cam where it can record to any nas without modding the firmware.

Anyone with Xiaomi Mi Home IP camera and able to store to the NAS?
I am thinking to buy a NAS if the IP camera could connect to NAS.

singcheng

Reaction score
Refer to this list for supported IP cameras.
https://www.synology.com/en-global/compatibility/camera

Saw it, but Xiaomi brand is not on the list.

Posted from PCWX using phone.
Creator of OEM Comparison Chart & Plan Calculator.
Ohm user since April 2018.

singcheng

Reaction score
You need to use a mod firmware to boot from a micro sd card and do some configuration from linux command line.

https://github.com/EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks

After which, u can use synology to configure a custom ip cam setup.

Downside of the mod firmware is not stable and night vision is not stable and video can turn black and white at times.

Best is to invest in xiaomi 360 ip cam where it can record to any nas without modding the firmware.

Which xiaomi 360 ip cam?
I have two cams (MJSXJ03CM & MJSXJ02CM).
I shared a folder on my laptop (windows 10), my phone (android) can save file into the folder, but the xiaomi cam can't see the folder...

ghgan1

Reaction score
Do one thing , on windows PC create one shared folder , ex. camera . And for time being give the access to everyone . And this windows PC should be on same network where camera is configured. The window PC must have a fixed ip address.

I used the wired connection for my NAS instead of windows pc and connected that NAS to same wireless router.

I think your xiaomi ip cam should support recording to NAS. Go to your mihome app and under your manage storage setting, you should see a nas storage option, click the option to search for your computer name, then select the shared folder and you are good to go. Do note that sometime e.g. 1-2mins for the mihome app need time to search for your computer name.

183657fsrqfr0aqqdfs2db.png.thumb.jpg

Which xiaomi 360 ip cam?
I have two cams (MJSXJ03CM & MJSXJ02CM).
I shared a folder on my laptop (windows 10), my phone (android) can save file into the folder, but the xiaomi cam can't see the folder...

harharhar

Reaction score
Entirely depends on a couple of things:
1) Static IP or not? If not, you can use Synology's dynamic DNS. You then need to set up an A name or CNAME on your domain host to point accordingly.
2) Using https? Suggested to do so if you want to expose your NAS to the net.
3) Which apps do you want to access on your NAS? Different apps require different ports and it is recommended to only open the ports you need rather than everything.

1) I managed to figure this out today. Had to figure out the differences between the record types.
2) Just set this up with lets encrypt as well.
3) Looks like most of the services I want to use have the same ports 80, 443, 5000, 5001, 6690, so I will just forward those as suggested.

Thanks! :D

AljarYK

Reaction score
Hi all, just bought my DS218+ last week and got it setup and running. I'm still exploring all the more advanced options while just using it as a simple main personal cloud data storage for all my archives.

Just a quick question, anyone using UPS and recommends using it? Power outage is rare in Singapore but if it does happen, what are the chances for my hdd to be corrupted if it is not shut down properly?

On a side note, to temporarily remediate the problem, I have added an external HDD to backup my data using Hyper Backup in Task Scheduler and have it ejected upon completion.

However, since I do not want to physically move the ext HDD, I wrote a simple script to auto-mount it right before its scheduled for backup. This lead to another "problem"/question. Even though the ext HDD is ejected, it is still spinning and not powered down. I am sure its safe to be powered down (even in the event of power outage), but is it recommended/safe to keep an external hdd powered on 24/7?

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just bought my DS218+ last week and got it setup and running. I'm still exploring all the more advanced options while just using it as a simple main personal cloud data storage for all my archives.

Just a quick question, anyone using UPS and recommends using it? Power outage is rare in Singapore but if it does happen, what are the chances for my hdd to be corrupted if it is not shut down properly?

On a side note, to temporarily remediate the problem, I have added an external HDD to backup my data using Hyper Backup in Task Scheduler and have it ejected upon completion.

However, since I do not want to physically move the ext HDD, I wrote a simple script to auto-mount it right before its scheduled for backup. This lead to another "problem"/question. Even though the ext HDD is ejected, it is still spinning and not powered down. I am sure its safe to be powered down (even in the event of power outage), but is it recommended/safe to keep an external hdd powered on 24/7?

Yup, i am using UPS. Will recommend one that have USB so your NAS will shut properly when it detect low battery in ups.

No problem with ext hdd running 24/7

yamashita

Reaction score

I dont think there is any reliable statistics for causes of hard disk corruption, better be safe than sorry.

Before I migrated to Synology, I have an external Toshiba hard disk connected to my router for 24/7 cctv recording. 6 months went by without any issue.

SGJoe86

Reaction score

My DS213j had been running 24/7 since early 2014 till now, no issue. Running with APC CS650VA UPS, replaced the battery once due old age.

Good to use NAS with UPS as the whole point of NAS is backup redundancy. Defeat the purpose if power trip caused you to lose your data.

AljarYK

Reaction score
Thanks bros for all the advice.
I guess I will proceed to purchase a UPS.

From the recommended list by Synology and some reviews, I think I am inclined to buy this APC Back-UPS PRO 550, but the price is rather steep, ~$300+ from lazada.

Is there any other good (and cheaper) UPS recommendations?

yamashita

Reaction score

From the recommended list by Synology and some reviews, I think I am inclined to buy this APC Back-UPS PRO 550, but the price is rather steep, ~$300+ from lazada.

I am using APC BK650-AS Back-UPS. It should cost around $150+ during IT show.

Better to get one that can interface with the NAS (via USB port). In the event of extended power outage and UPS battery is running dry, the UPS can provide feedback via USB port to NAS to facilitate orderly shutdown of the NAS.

singcheng

Reaction score
Do one thing , on windows PC create one shared folder , ex. camera . And for time being give the access to everyone . And this windows PC should be on same network where camera is configured. The window PC must have a fixed ip address.

I used the wired connection for my NAS instead of windows pc and connected that NAS to same wireless router.

I think your xiaomi ip cam should support recording to NAS. Go to your mihome app and under your manage storage setting, you should see a nas storage option, click the option to search for your computer name, then select the shared folder and you are good to go. Do note that sometime e.g. 1-2mins for the mihome app need time to search for your computer name.

183657fsrqfr0aqqdfs2db.png.thumb.jpg

Yeah, i tried, my camera can see my computer, but once entered credentials, there is no folder inside to choose from (despite my android phone with smb client could read and write to the shared folder from computer).
So i guess problem lies with my camera then...

ghgan1

Reaction score
You can try the following option to solve the issue.

https://windowsreport.com/enter-network-credentials-windows-10/

Yeah, i tried, my camera can see my computer, but once entered credentials, there is no folder inside to choose from (despite my android phone with smb client could read and write to the shared folder from computer).
So i guess problem lies with my camera then...

harharhar

Reaction score
I am using APC BK650-AS Back-UPS. It should cost around $150+ during IT show.

Better to get one that can interface with the NAS (via USB port). In the event of extended power outage and UPS battery is running dry, the UPS can provide feedback via USB port to NAS to facilitate orderly shutdown of the NAS.

$159 on SLS price list

ghgan1

Reaction score
So far I had numerous power outage to both my 4 bays and 2 bays synology and both does not suffer from data loss. The only problem I had was hdd bad sector mainly on seagate nas hdd and the synology power adapter. My WD nas hdd still going strong after 5 years. I would suggest you save your money and get another synology for backup purposes as UPS does not provide data protection or data backup. If budget is a concern, get a DIY NAS from taobao that is synology DSM installed.

Last edited:

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
tw synology just receive my RMA set today, now they going to ship back... so fast?
within 1 day can repair?

Last edited:

Besaid

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a NAS for media consumption.. If all torrenting activities are managed in the NAS, can we run the VPN only for the NAS instead of the entire network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.