Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zulfakar

Reaction score
Dear all, I just created this account to share my story. I am a new victim of these LOAN SCAMS from just past week. Read through many of the messages here and am *SUPER ANGRY* at how so many have been cheated. For all the victims here, we must stand up and stamp out these scammers and crime.

So much harassment is made to the victims and stress created to them and family members, colleagues, workplace. Jobs lost, family lost, friends lost. THIS MUST STOP and victims must unite to make Singapore a safe place and reduce the number of victims to ZERO.

The 2 people I talked to are Chinese Malaysian.

My story:

I was promised a loan of 10k for 5 yrs and only need to pay $200 for 60 times. (LIE)

I was asked to send IC, income statement, next of kin contacts for loan approval (DONT EVER DO THIS) [others have been asked for SINGPASS, DON"T EVER DO THIS]

I was told the loan was all legal and can be done online (LIE)

I was told they will make a test transaction to me and I just need to transfer them back before they send me the actual loan amount (LIE)

I was told after the funds transfer to me, then they will send me the Terms and Conditions of the loan (LIE)

I was told that they have a legit company with legit license and got website (LIE) - I later checked and found they gave name of an "expired" company" not on approved LML list

After the test transaction amount transferred to me, they started to harass me for the money, saying I took the loan already and pressured me to transfer by a certain time, if not I will be in trouble. After that they harass 2 of my next of kin with threatening messages. You will get it from your next of kin.

*** Never even touch any of these people EVER, also stay away from LML if you can. *** These are not money lenders, they are LOAN SCAMMERS. ***

Spoke to Police, Spoke to Credit Association.

Advice given is:

1. File Report ASAP
2. Do not do any transactions
3. Close bank account ASAP
4. Change all phone numbers
5. Block all their numbers (spare yourself the harassment)
6. Brace yourself for any harassment online or offline
7. Call 999 immediately if there any suspicious people seen near your home or office
8. Lastly, DO NOT BE AFRAID. (You are not the first victim and will not be the last)

Victims who want to work together to fight this and to share info - PM me. Will pass on as much info so that they can work. This is our Singapore, let us make it SAFE.

If not, pass info to:

Members of the public are also advised not to work with or assist loan sharks in any way and to call the police at 999 or the X-Ah Long hotline at 1800-924-5664 if they suspect anyone of being involved in illegal loan-sharking activities.

Crime does NOT PAY. (Pls google these news, I can't post links as am too new)

Case 1: Police warn students against loan shark jobs as 109 people arrested in 3-day blitz
Case 2: 'Auntie' loan shark runner arrested by police

Case 3: 118 arrested for suspected loan shark activities after four-day police operation

First-time offenders found guilty of carrying out or assisting in unlicensed moneylending business may be fined between S$30,000 and S$300,000, jailed up to four years and given up to six strokes of the cane.

Those found guilty of acting on behalf of an unlicensed moneylender, committing or attempting acts of harassment may get up to five years' jail, a fine between S$5,000 and S$50,000 and three to six strokes of the cane.

Anyone convicted of providing false contact information to obtain loans from loan sharks may be jailed a maximum of 12 months and those guilty of failing to report a change of address may get a maximum S$5,000 fine, up to five years in jail or both.

Those found guilty of instigating a youth to assist in unlicensed moneylending business or carrying out harassment acts on behalf of loan sharks may be jailed up to nine years, fined between S$6,000 and S$300,000 and given a maximum of 12 strokes of the cane.

Hi bro

I hope u are doing fine I have been a recent a victim of the trial loan scam.. And I already cleared my loan. With them yet they force transfer.. I have already closed by bank account with them... Police report already made... What should I do next? Really need advise

Thanks in advance

delceer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi bro

I hope u are doing fine I have been a recent a victim of the trial loan scam.. And I already cleared my loan. With them yet they force transfer.. I have already closed by bank account with them... Police report already made... What should I do next? Really need advise

Thanks in advance

Read post #8708

Makminah

Reaction score
Hi bro

Thanks in advance

Hi Zulfakar

You've taken 2 of the most neccessary actions. Good job! Now the most you can do is cut all contact with them and be prepared for whatever that may come your way. Pray hard that all will be well.

This is one of the reason why many here say stop paying them. The cycle will never end.

Zulfakar

Reaction score
Thanks @ makminah.... Nowadays there's a new scam going on... My started from buying handphone with installment plans... After I submit my bank account details.. That's where the nightmare starts...

delceer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://cna-sg-res.cloudinary.com/image/upload/q_auto,f_auto/image/10120238/16x9/670/377/6bcc6c7eccfb56624c0ea1784fc85e7a/**/computer-cybercrime-file.jpg

Police warn of new type of e-commerce scam involving mobile phone purchases

SINGAPORE: A new type of e-commerce scam has emerged after more than two dozen reports were made by victims, the Singapore Police Force said on Friday (Apr 19).

“Since November 2018, the police have received more than 25 reports where victims were unknowingly saddled with loans while they were trying to purchase mobile phones on e-commerce platforms,” police said in a news release.

The authorities said that in several instances, victims were duped into giving their personal information such as their NRIC, SingPass or bank account details, on the pretext of filing an instalment plan package for the purchase of mobile phones.

“The victims subsequently discovered that a sum of money had been deposited into their bank account, and the perpetrators then demanded the victims to pay back the loan amount with interest,” police said.

“In other instances, the victims were offered loans to purchase the mobile phones. These victims would then receive monies in their bank accounts, regardless if they had agreed to the loan offers, and were subsequently asked to make repayments.”

The police advise the public to take precautions with regard to such scams, including never giving personal information to unknown persons or to unverified sources.

“Do not provide information that is not necessary to make a purchase,” said police.

“If you suspect that you have received an unknown sum of money in your bank account, report it to the bank and the police immediately. If the unknown sum of money is still in your account, do not make any transactions with it.”

The authorities also advise the public to look into the track record and background of the company or seller before making a purchase.

“Be wary that fraud artists can appear and disappear especially on e-commerce platforms so the lack of a complaint record is no guarantee of legitimacy,” the police added.

If you wish to provide any information related to such scams, the police hotline is 1800-255-0000, or submit it online at www.police.gov.sg/iwitness.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...-of-e-commerce-scam-involving-mobile-11461404

delceer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This really too much..they post all this video in youtube..imagine your love ones see the video..it is tough for anyonr to take.

You expect them encrypted the video and put inside safe deposit box? People should not volunteer send over the video with IC in the first place. I saw got others people video from the same you tube user. Don't know what is inside their mind when they make the video.

Uncontable

Reaction score
Hi, I have made enquiry with so call legal money lender and i even provide my details to him. As in first place he know my name and NRIc which i dunno how he got it. Now they are after me for payment when i did not even receive a single cent from him. Later he said the person handle had been sack n money transfer to another account buy insist me to pay for his lost. Now they keep calling me, my office and NOK. They even send my family photo to threaten me. What should i do?

zonda_r

Reaction score
Hi, I have made enquiry with so call legal money lender and i even provide my details to him. As in first place he know my name and NRIc which i dunno how he got it. Now they are after me for payment when i did not even receive a single cent from him. Later he said the person handle had been sack n money transfer to another account buy insist me to pay for his lost. Now they keep calling me, my office and NOK. They even send my family photo to threaten me. What should i do?
Just follow the steps in post 8708

Spidie

Reaction score
Make police report block all their numbers and whatsapp. Do not receive calls fromm unknown numbers. Dun talk to them anymore.

Sent from Samsung SM-G935F using GAGT

Uncontable

Reaction score
Make police report block all their numbers and whatsapp. Do not receive calls fromm unknown numbers. Dun talk to them anymore.

Sent from Samsung SM-G935F using GAGT

Repost done. Those people everyday call me and swnd me picture of my kids and threaten me.

zonda_r

Reaction score
Okay. I give you the Model Answer.
Are you Singaporean and staying in Singapore ?
Below are the steps.

1) Make a Police Report
2) Stop all the contact and communication with them. Change number if can
3) Use the Police Report and get approval from Town Council to install CCTV
4) Inform your families and colleagues that you tio loan shark scam
5) Just wait and see which fellow debtors wanna throw their future down the drain by supplying your CCTV footage on 3) to your Police officer in charge
6) Live like a normal person, no need lose your sleep over the loan shark. They will not hurt you physically. Only torture you mentally. If you done the 2), then you should be very peaceful
7) Keep in touch with Police
8) Don't doubt the Police like someone in this forum. Must put your trust 100% in Police, they are very good and doing a good job.

Here :) follow the steps most importantly stay strong during this period your family need u the mist now

Mike-2806

Reaction score
You expect them encrypted the video and put inside safe deposit box? People should not volunteer send over the video with IC in the first place. I saw got others people video from the same you tube user. Don't know what is inside their mind when they make the video.
I sympatise on the victim as i was once as desparate as them. I understand the stress that when everyone is chasing you for money and one will find all means to find the money to live just for another day.The action by those LS to make this viral is despicable at least. Imagine if it is you in this plight, what will u do? I felt sad. Can the spf check who posted all this video?

vladtepish

Reaction score
Seems...at least for me ..the UML only threatens me on the day I supposed to settle up the never ending payments...says burn house... etc...I settled up full ..when he said extend...so he does the threats weekly...I forward the messages and numbers to my IO...only turn on the old phone once a week...to see what nonsense they planning...and I do sympathize with the people whose videos were uploaded to YouTube...and SPF should find the people posting....Wish us all peace and soon be rid of this scammer scum....

Makminah

Reaction score

Hi. Lay low on your social media. Private all yr Fb, instagram, tweeter and etc. Yr whatsapp profile pic too change it. Unlink your social media accounts to your hp number. Since you didnt receive any money from them, chances are they are just trying their luck to get money from you.
Make a police report and just be alert of your surroundings. If you pass them your SINGPASS change your password. Block all unknown numbers calling/texting you.

You need to be emotionally and mentally strong to pull this through. Dont ever fall for their harassment.

Be strong and be safe. 💪
I pray that all will end well for you.

delceer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi. Lay low on your social media. Private all yr Fb, instagram, tweeter and etc. Yr whatsapp profile pic too change it. Unlink your social media accounts to your hp number. Since you didnt receive any money from them, chances are they are just trying their luck to get money from you.
Make a police report and just be alert of your surroundings. If you pass them your SINGPASS change your password. Block all unknown numbers calling/texting you.

You need to be emotionally and mentally strong to pull this through. Dont ever fall for their harassment.

Be strong and be safe. 💪
I pray that all will end well for you.

Singpass need 2FA send to handphone.

Lazychef

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm a new member here.. Worst thing.. My mum fell into these WhatsApp scam from ls.. In the end I help her to block the number and contacted them myself!! Cannot call de.. Can only WhatsApp.. I spam them like ****.. In the end tio block by him... 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.