EA8100

Twiddlebug

Reaction score
is this better than the Asus RT-AC87U?

Sent from HUAWEI HMA-L29 using GAGT

Just to answer my own question, configured the EA8100 last night and signal wise same for me but speeds much slower than my AC87U...end up switching back

feintan

Reaction score
is this router better than Singtel AC1900? anybody use this on singtel as AP?

Not Sure, But I believe many ppl buy asus router to replace the singtel issued router as it has ready use pre set singnet vlan settings into their firmware. I replace for my cousin singtel router with Asus RT-AC58U, their internet and IPTV work as usual and her children is never happier.

A lot ppl also selling M1 issued router RT-AC1200G+ for $30-$50 dollars. it's almost similar, just a bit lower end then RT-AC58U. but usage wise for family who just want stable internet wifi access, it's no different. I heard RT-AC1200G+ have some heat issue, but I don't experience it myself. Maybe I leaves a lot space between the table and the btm of the router. So I guess it's a bit base on luck.

On top of that, both Asus RT-AC58U and RT-AC1200G+ have access to uncommon AC 5G channel 52,56,60,64,100,104,108,112. so u can have the channel easily expend to use 80mhz all by yourself without any interference from your neighbours.

sunht

Master Member
Reaction score
Will switch from M1 500M to Starhub 1G next month.

I'm thinking if I should change to EA8100 or continue using my current router after switch to 1G. Currently I'm using Xiaomi Mi Pro (R3P).

Sent from OnePlus 5T using GAGT

Ah-Pin-Kor

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking if I should change to EA8100 or continue using my current router after switch to 1G. Currently I'm using Xiaomi Mi Pro (R3P).
Both these models use the Mediatek MT7621, but the R3P has double the RAM of the EA8100 (512MB vs 256MB). The 8100 can use DFS channels though. If you don't need to use the DFS channels (depends on how crowded the 5GHz band is around your house), then just continue with the R3P.

sunht

Master Member
Reaction score
Both these models use the Mediatek MT7621, but the R3P has double the RAM of the EA8100 (512MB vs 256MB). The 8100 can use DFS channels though. If you don't need to use the DFS channels (depends on how crowded the 5GHz band is around your house), then just continue with the R3P.

Thanks for the reply. Don't have issue on my R3P so far. Might just sell the EA8100 away.

Sent from OnePlus 5T using GAGT

SkyShroud

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any custom fw for this router?
juz got one from starhub when they upgrade my broadband tv

uncle_josh

Reaction score
Your problem seems more like a user issue.
Any router that is not placed in an optimal place, can never function to it full potential.
Try placing your router at 3/4 height of the wall.

My this black fiber setup (ONT) is at behind the main house door followed by close-up; then the asus EA8100 is outside living room under tv. But then tv is away from StarHub setup box. Is that why the connection is so bad?

Anyway to up the connection?

discoburg

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Currently using the Asus AC68U. However when i close my room door, which is the farthest room in my 5 room flat, the connection will drop or get weak. Especially wen my Mrs and I are using our own devices. Wonder will this EA8100 be better then the AC68U? Hope to get some advice from the folks here.

endlssorrow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your problem seems more like a user issue.
Any router that is not placed in an optimal place, can never function to it full potential.
Try placing your router at 3/4 height of the wall.

That EA8100 has to run a telephone like line cable lei. So how to place 3/4 height of the wall?

endlssorrow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Currently using the Asus AC68U. However when i close my room door, which is the farthest room in my 5 room flat, the connection will drop or get weak. Especially wen my Mrs and I are using our own devices. Wonder will this EA8100 be better then the AC68U? Hope to get some advice from the folks here.
Last time me use singnet , I gotta use their imesh separate router

giraffey

Reaction score

it is highly unlikely it will improve with a change of device. wireless signals generally get poorer when there are obstacles (walls, doors) there is no line of sight.

it might be better for you to get a seperate access point or mesh point (with wired backhaul) in the room.

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

8100 performance is lower than 68u, if you want to change,get the 86u, I’m using it in my 5rm, the 5ghz alone can cover the whole house.

uncle_josh

Reaction score
That EA8100 has to run a telephone like line cable lei. So how to place 3/4 height of the wall?
EA8100 cannot support telephone line.

If you refer to the yellow Lan cable not long enough, just replace it with any Lan cable that is long enough. Not necessay must be yellow color.

Sent from LGE LG-H930 using GAGT

hk7310

Reaction score
EA8100 cannot support telephone line.

If you refer to the yellow Lan cable not long enough, just replace it with any Lan cable that is long enough. Not necessay must be yellow color.

Sent from LGE LG-H930 using GAGT

I believe that he refer to Lan cable - telephone like line cable.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.