View Single Post
Old 20-04-2019, 09:49 AM   #2846
ChanOwen

Question

Over the past few weeks I have been researching air purifiers, my conclusion is that I plan to buy the Coway AP-1512HH Mighty from Amazon US (currently USD $162)

I understand the voltage and frequency difference between US and Singapore (US is 120V 60Hz, Singapore is 230V 50Hz.) Therefore, I will buy a transformer to step the voltage down (I plan to buy the LiteFuze LC-300UK 300Watt Step Up/Down Travel Voltage Converter from Amazon US, since this Air Purifier is rated at 77W, I guess that a 300W transformer should be more than enough)

However, after doing more research, I also found there could potentially be problems arising from the difference in Frequency (50Hz vs 60Hz) Some websites I looked at claim that frequency difference can cause motors/fans to spin at a different speed, which could potentially cause overheating and damage.

I understand that no one can 100% guarantee whether this setup will work, but is it likely to be “OK”, or is there a significant risk of the air purifier breaking?
ChanOwen is offline   Reply With Quote