[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC86U

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks bro. So it's better the asus one? Is it difficult to use or configure ?

Sent from HUAWEI MATE 20 using GAGT
leaps and bounds better..

in fact, many of the features that are available on the official Asus firmware are implemented after Merlin improved and created them on his firmware.

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

GReddy G9 RS

Reaction score
leaps and bounds better..

in fact, many of the features that are available on the official Asus firmware are implemented after Merlin improved and created them on his firmware.

So if i use merlin, can i still monitor n update via asus app?

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So if i use merlin, can i still monitor n update via asus app?

You mean check for new firmware versions and update via the app? You can't do that for RMerlin firmware as the Asus app only knows about the official Asus firmware.
you can still use the Asus router app as per normal..

the app or webui page will prompt you when there are new Merlin firmware updates, upon clicking on it, it will bring you to the Merlin webpage to download the firmware, then upload the file and flash the new firmware.

GReddy G9 RS

Reaction score
you can still use the Asus router app as per normal..

the app or webui page will prompt you when there are new Merlin firmware updates, upon clicking on it, it will bring you to the Merlin webpage to download the firmware, then upload the file and flash the new firmware.

Thanks

uncle_josh

Reaction score
antenna are expendable item. So it should be interchangeable with other antenna.
If you want original, maybe call Avertek and check.
Else just go carousell to grab similar models.

Avertek Enterprises Pte Ltd
Distribution service in Singapore
Address: 25 Kallang Ave, #03-03, Singapore 339416
Hours:
Open ⋅ Closes 6PM
Phone: 6341 7839

terminater

Reaction score
Hi, anyone can check if roaming assistant is working on their 86u? I am running the latest stock firmware and roamast doesn't seem to work for me. The 86u does not have system logs about associating and disassociating clients.

davemishsr

Reaction score
What is the purpose to set auto reboot?

In our case the reason for needing automatic reboots is a bit involved. My wife has to use her employer's VPN when dialing in. If her DHCP lease expires during a session then she gets kicked off. My workaround is to set the lease duration to one week and have the router reboot 2x/week @ 04:00. This guarantees that her lease cannot expire while she is working during the evening, ever.

So automatic reboots are a game changer for us.

GReddy G9 RS

Reaction score
In our case the reason for needing automatic reboots is a bit involved. My wife has to use her employer's VPN when dialing in. If her DHCP lease expires during a session then she gets kicked off. My workaround is to set the lease duration to one week and have the router reboot 2x/week @ 04:00. This guarantees that her lease cannot expire while she is working during the evening, ever.

So automatic reboots are a game changer for us.

Can it be set via App or must use PC?

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can it be set via App or must use PC?
need to set it using the webui..

under,
Administration -> System -> Enable Reboot Scheduler -> Yes -> Select Date/Time.

SB8RWvY.jpg

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I suggest you disable SSH access from the internet.

There are bots that scan for open ports and possibly attempt to brute force/guess your password.

A more secure way to access your router remotely is to VPN in and then use SSH.
thanks for noticing.. it's currently on for me to configure some settings only because this router is now on double NAT, but during this brief period there is a built in brute force protection feature that is activated as well.. usually it's accessed via the VPN server method..

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.