My cousin's birthday gift (a gaming pc) and some questions

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
his dad and I picked the rvz03 because he moves between his mom and dad every month, he may want to bring the pc with him.

Curious though, does both sides have a spare monitor/tv for him to connect the PC to? Im presuming ur budget does nt include a monitor.

But like what Synchronicity said, a laptop may be a better option although for $1.5k budget, u wun get further than a gtx 1060 or even 1050ti in laptop.

Daniel SG1981

Reaction score
Curious though, does both sides have a spare monitor/tv for him to connect the PC to? Im presuming ur budget does nt include a monitor.

But like what Synchronicity said, a laptop may be a better option although for $1.5k budget, u wun get further than a gtx 1060 or even 1050ti in laptop.
Nope only one monitor a viewsonic one, he's going to have to bring it along too. Yeah I know laptop are portable but at his price range as you said 1050ti,1060 it won't be a good experience for him playing Forza for him either

Last edited:

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Then, you gotta decide if budget or convenience would take priority.

IMO, since you are the one choosing for him, you are inadvertently adding some limitations or restrictions upon your cousin. Such as not meeting the budget, lowering components specifications in order to meet other components specifications but still within budget, etc. All these will be borne and carried on by your cousin, not you. It seems you are making the build revolve around ITX case rather than your budget.

Just a consideration and my point of view. Good luck in your selection.

Besides, an overall build like what you had indicated will weigh around 8-10kg, monitor about 2-3 kg. U can ask your cousin if he/she truly wants to lug a 10-13kg deadweight to and fro every month. Can argue that can take grab to and fro, but worth the trouble?

Last edited:

-Synchronicity-

Reaction score
You gotta pick your poison and compromise. IMO, I would rather scale down the graphics and have a more portable machine to game on then lugging around a monitor and machine.

After all, it's no ps4/Xbox where you can have 2 or more players playing. Laptop/desktop games are usually 1 machine per player.

Sure if you don't mind paying more, I'm sure you can get a better gpu but like I said, you gotta compromise something if you wanna keep to the budget.

zhihao57

Reaction score

IMO, since you are the one choosing for him, you are inadvertently adding some limitations or restrictions upon your cousin. Such as not meeting the budget, lowering components specifications in order to meet other components specifications but still within budget, etc. All these will be borne and carried on by your cousin, not you. It seems you are making the build revolve around ITX case rather than your budget.

Besides, an overall build like what you had indicated will weigh around 8-10kg, monitor about 2-3 kg. U can ask your cousin if he/she truly wants to lug a 10-13kg deadweight to and fro every month. Can argue that can take grab to and fro, but worth the trouble?

This is gonna be tiring, every month need to unplug, replug the whole pc, carry over. Even if he drives, he'll need to bring it into the house, assuming its HDB, carry the whole pc + monitor + keyboard+ mouse, maybe speaker? maybe headphones?

Rabak bro, i think at least 2 trips to bring everything into the house every month. I think eventually your cousin will just leave it at one place. :s22:

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is gonna be tiring, every month need to unplug, replug the whole pc, carry over. Even if he drives, he'll need to bring it into the house, assuming its HDB, carry the whole pc + monitor + keyboard+ mouse, maybe speaker? maybe headphones?

Rabak bro, i think at least 2 trips to bring everything into the house every month. I think eventually your cousin will just leave it at one place. :s22:

Im not TS or threadstarter, btw. You quote wrong person. :s13::s13::s13:

Daniel SG1981

Reaction score

Thanks but any ideas how to ask without spoiling the surprise?

Well what to do when your parents are separated and mommy won't help with his birthday surprise, even me as a cousin donated $200.00 from my piggy bank.
Daddy - $500
Grandparents (dad side) - $250
Grandparents (mom side) - $200
Uncle Bart - $150
Me - $200
Friends - $210
He's a good kid but what can I say, we try

Daniel SG1981

Reaction score
Is the Ryzen r7 1700 alot worse compared to the r5 2600?
I found a shop selling the 1700 sgd$10 cheaper to the 2600,
Will it affect his CCA (film class work?) if I use the older gen?

haylui

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is the Ryzen r7 1700 alot worse compared to the r5 2600?
I found a shop selling the 1700 sgd$10 cheaper to the 2600,
Will it affect his CCA (film class work?) if I use the older gen?

Not much difference. More thread actually better.

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Too much details, bro. Lol.

Anyway, u can try asking him what he brings to school everyday and how he feels if the weight is 3x, 4x and do monthly? U can fake it as a survey from your coy or sch work.

Daniel SG1981

Reaction score
Too much details, bro. Lol.

Anyway, u can try asking him what he brings to school everyday and how he feels if the weight is 3x, 4x and do monthly? U can fake it as a survey from your coy or sch work.
I'm trying to find a nice matx not too big and heavy but seibei hard to find. I thought I found one, the silverstone ps15b-g but so many intermal problems. Cube case also too fat like his
dad

Daniel SG1981

Reaction score
Portable itx case, I was looking to get the rvz03.
But there are other options but not sure how are they.
Fractal Design Node 202 - $129.00
Silverstone ml08 - handle -$139.00
Silverstone RVZ02-w - $139.00

Daniel SG1981

Reaction score
If we can get our hands on a NR400 or a good budget matx case.

CM MasterBox NR400
Ryzen R7 1700X
Msi B450m mortar titanium
Mb + cpu combo sgd$420.00
Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl15 16gb sgd $175.00
Gigabyte Aorus RX Vega 64 8gb sgd $508.00
Crucial MX500 500gb m.2 ssd sgd $120.00
Seagate Barracuda 2tb 2.5 inch hdd sgd $105.00
Seasonic Focus FM550W 650w 80+ gold modular

-Synchronicity-

Reaction score
U know most poly students already detest bringing their laptop around everyday especially if it's a heavy one.

I'm pretty sure your cousin won't enjoy lugging a full blown pc + accessories every month.

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If we can get our hands on a NR400 or a good budget matx case.

CM MasterBox NR400
Ryzen R7 1700X
Msi B450m mortar titanium
Mb + cpu combo sgd$420.00
Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200mhz cl15 16gb sgd $175.00
Gigabyte Aorus RX Vega 64 8gb sgd $508.00
Crucial MX500 500gb m.2 ssd sgd $120.00
Seagate Barracuda 2tb 2.5 inch hdd sgd $105.00
Seasonic Focus FM550W 650w 80+ gold modular

If u are open to overseas set, you can replace the ram and ssd to Crucial 2666mhz 2x 8gb and intel 660p 500gb at S$124 and S$89 at newegg global sg and primenow respectively. Its easy to rma as well.

Also, 2tb barracuda isnt that high, local sellers in lazada selling at $88 nia.

For psu, can opt for superflower eco silver 500w.

GPU wise, u can get gtx 1660/1660Ti, should be within budget.

Anyway, your priority i believe is to first determine whether he will be shifting the PC around every month. From there, work around the budget to get something that can fit all, NOT based on your preference. It seems like you are placing yourself as the receiver rather than your cousin though.

Last edited:

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
If shifting around... get a itx setup. Why bother with matx or atx???

SGTechGamer81

Reaction score
I would rather you build an ATX or matx system and leave it at one place, then when he goes over to his mom or dad's he'd remember he's got a good time at the other.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.