View Single Post
Old 24-04-2019, 09:30 PM   #2849
WussRedXLi
Great Supremacy Member

Thank you for your reply, and for the info. Actually, I am based in Hong Kong (voltage and frequency here in HK is exactly the same as Singapore.) I use a package forwarding service which charges HKD $24 (approx. USD $3) per pound of weight, since the weight of this air purifier is 18 pounds, the shipping fee will be approx. USD $55.

The cost of the Coway Mighty is currently USD $162, plus another USD $32 for the transformer. So the total cost of Air Purifier + transformer + shipping will be approx. USD $249.

If I decided to buy an air purifier locally here in HK, from my research it seems the best choice would probably be the Philips AC3259/31, which sells for HKD $3,900 (approx. USD $503.) Therefore, I would save approx. USD $250 by choosing the Coway Mighty.

Furthermore, from my research it seems the Coway Mighty is a better purifier, and my main goal is to get a high-quality purifier at the lowest possible price.

When you say “it’s more trouble than it’s worth”, do you mean there is a risk of malfunctioning/breaking due to the 50Hz / 60Hz frequency difference? Or are there also other potential problems I am not yet aware of?

Thanks again for your help with this!
There were reports of devices popping due to the transformer malfunctioning. Not only APs but other devices as well, like water flossers. That HWZ 2013 Amazon thread is gone now. Coz Air purifiers can usually last fairly long, however once you introduce a voltage convertor which is basically a transformer type of device, you introduce another layer of unknown.

Anyway since you are in HK, just get a Xiaomi 2S or Xiaomi Pro. I reckon that the floor area is very precious, so perhaps a Xiaomi Pro is better.
One for each room. It's noisy in the higher fan speed settings, but then if you are not using this to counter allergies (thus needing at least 5 ACH/Air Changes per Hour) but rather to counter HK/Kowloon's AQI 100-149 air which probably happens somewhat regularly, then it should be more than sufficient.

I think a few years back it hit > AQI 200 for a day or 2 (purple on aqicn) due to some unseasonal winds coming from the north hence bringing somewhat smoggier air from the Greater Pearl River Delta down, but that's about it.

The Xiaomi 2S or Pro shd handle that kind of conditions no worries. Tried and tested in SG and CN and northern Thailand smog and haze (very popular there in N Thailand via Lazada thailand, coz there are very few other choices anyway even if price is not a factor). Actually if you are a HK citizen, you should have watched all the China Air Purifier reviews/tests on youtube or youku or what.

And besides, replacements are real easy and cheap. Just get it from TB, or i am sure HK retail has it, or from some HK online platform.

The Xiaomis would work as well as the Philips or Coway generally speaking, don't worry about it.

Last edited by WussRedXLi; 24-04-2019 at 09:38 PM..
WussRedXLi is offline   Reply With Quote