Comparison of SIM only plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianch

Reaction score
Is the free Caller ID still offered to existing Singtel customers who recontract their 12 months SIM only plans?

chinnian

Reaction score
Just ported into Starhub $20 SIM despite having 2 more months of contract with Singtel SIM only.

OK to pay the termination fees as I’m going overseas soon, and the money saved on roaming with Starhub is up to 5 times cheaper than on Singtel.

No complains so far on Starhub. Reception not noticebly worse than Singtel. Customer service is ok, no wait at all on the hotline.

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Singtel mentioned in the gomo thread that iMessage and FaceTime is now available already.. :o

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

hako92

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just ported into Starhub $20 SIM despite having 2 more months of contract with Singtel SIM only.

OK to pay the termination fees as I’m going overseas soon, and the money saved on roaming with Starhub is up to 5 times cheaper than on Singtel.

No complains so far on Starhub. Reception not noticebly worse than Singtel. Customer service is ok, no wait at all on the hotline.

Starhub sim plan not $25 meh?

Angtehkor

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tpg the best of best. 2gb per day after throttling and best it is free for 1 year

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score
Sadly because I’m enjoying the e-Sim on my Apple Watch & I kinda need more than 100mins of talk time... have no choice but to stick w SingTel SIM only. The only advantage is they doubled the data from 7gb previously.

Just re-contracted:
Basic (15Gb/month, 150mins talk, 500SMS) :$20
Caller ID: $5
NumberShare: $7

Otherwise I would have gladly switched to Gomo.

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Good luck. I bought a StarHub prepaid for roaming purposes . But most times it is just so unstable it barely works. End up had to buy another roaming plan on Singtel or just buy local SIM...

Jurong640

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good luck. I bought a StarHub prepaid for roaming purposes . But most times it is just so unstable it barely works. End up had to buy another roaming plan on Singtel or just buy local SIM...

Last year went China, my buddies bought starhub prepaid, it didn't work the entire time over there.

My M1 data passport just works once the plane touches down. If you refer to those threads about data roaming. M1 data passport is one of the best or if not the best.

Synnexo

Reaction score
Last year went China, my buddies bought starhub prepaid, it didn't work the entire time over there.

My M1 data passport just works once the plane touches down. If you refer to those threads about data roaming. M1 data passport is one of the best or if not the best.

Except for local sim, nothing beats M1 data passport.

SibehHL

Reaction score

Your buddies probably didn’t set the correct APN??

I am currently in China and using both M1 data passport and Starhub Prepaid roaming. Both are working well roaming on China Mobile (中国移动) network.

On the other hand, will not recommend using NordVPN with local Chinese SIM cards, think the Chinese have managed to block NordVPN. I did not manage to connect with any servers at all using Chinese SIM card. Time to find another good VPN when back in Singapore...

dryteletubby

Reaction score

I am currently in China and using both M1 data passport and Starhub Prepaid roaming. Both are working well roaming on China Mobile (中国移动) network.

On the other hand, will not recommend using NordVPN with local Chinese SIM cards, think the Chinese have managed to block NordVPN. I did not manage to connect with any servers at all using Chinese SIM card. Time to find another good VPN when back in Singapore...
if what you want is just to bypass censorship, just run a VPN server on your router or pc at home. No need to spend money on one.

SibehHL

Reaction score
if what you want is just to bypass censorship, just run a VPN server on your router or pc at home. No need to spend money on one.

I am not familiar with IT stuff, appreciate you elaborate a bit on running VPN server on router or PC at Home.... I will google the details after understanding the concept.

How does it help me if I am abroad and my mobile lines are not connected to my router at home. Thanks

dryteletubby

Reaction score
If your WiFi router have a VPN server function, you can create one and connect to it. Basically instead of connecting to a VPN server hosted by Nord or other company, you connect to a VPN server hosted at your home.

Most WiFi router should have a simple interface and step by step guide on creating a VPN server.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Try VPN.ac to see if that works or not.

Or you may have to consider using those Shadowsocks providers if you go to China often.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If your WiFi router have a VPN server function, you can create one and connect to it. Basically instead of connecting to a VPN server hosted by Nord or other company, you connect to a VPN server hosted at your home.

Most WiFi router should have a simple interface and step by step guide on creating a VPN server.

Just take note usually the router only has simple OpenVPN server and this OpenVPN setup is easily detected by the Great Firewall and is not guaranteed to work.

There are multiple reports of this type of OpenVPN servers blocked in China.

If one is really technical savvy then it is better to set up a Wireguard, Shadowsocks (SSR) or other types of VPN servers to bypass the Great Firewall.

squarepipe

Reaction score
Just take note usually the router only has simple OpenVPN server and this OpenVPN setup is easily detected by the Great Firewall and is not guaranteed to work.

There are multiple reports of this type of OpenVPN servers blocked in China.

If one is really technical savvy then it is better to set up a Wireguard, Shadowsocks (SSR) or other types of VPN servers to bypass the Great Firewall.

Hmm I tot china only check see if IP address belongs to a public VPN then block? Maybe they change to more advanced system.

I think google outline should be good to use in this scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.