Comparison of SIM only plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sglastexile

Reaction score
Your buddies probably didn’t set the correct APN??

I am currently in China and using both M1 data passport and Starhub Prepaid roaming. Both are working well roaming on China Mobile (中国移动) network.

On the other hand, will not recommend using NordVPN with local Chinese SIM cards, think the Chinese have managed to block NordVPN. I did not manage to connect with any servers at all using Chinese SIM card. Time to find another good VPN when back in Singapore...

NordVPN works fine for me.
Don’t select the “Quick Connect”, manually select the servers there are thousands of server.
Try a few times, once it work. Save it as Favourite.
It works fine in Guangzhou & Chongqing, though it might disconnect after few hrs.

rodimus_prime

Master Member
Reaction score
Last year went China, my buddies bought starhub prepaid, it didn't work the entire time over there.

My M1 data passport just works once the plane touches down. If you refer to those threads about data roaming. M1 data passport is one of the best or if not the best.

Here’s another data point. Just back fm trip to UK, Helsinki, HK, Macau, Malaysia, Bangkok. Was on StarHub and data travel worked perfectly in all locations. Cheaper than M1 which charges country by country and draws fm your data. Now back in SG and I still have my full data entitlement.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm I tot china only check see if IP address belongs to a public VPN then block? Maybe they change to more advanced system.

I think google outline should be good to use in this scenario.

GFW is one of the most advanced firewall in the world.

Simplified introduction to the blocking techniques used. They use all kinds of things including deep packet analysis.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Firewall?wprov=sfla1

In fact most of the VPN if not all the VPN may not work during sensitive times, including the recommended Express VPN, Nord VPN and VPN.ac which usually work.

That is why the alternative solutions like SSR, Wireguard, V2Ray are more popular for those inside China.

Ref: read the comment by badsector in the VPN thread as well.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...st-vpn-provider-your-opinion-3807778-127.html

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last year went China, my buddies bought starhub prepaid, it didn't work the entire time over there.

My M1 data passport just works once the plane touches down. If you refer to those threads about data roaming. M1 data passport is one of the best or if not the best.

Starhub prepaid card worked fine for me for two trips in 2017/2018.

SingTel postpaid plan data roaming also worked for me for two trips in 2017. It was more expensive but that was a company phone for work.

All three telcos should all work as long as you get 4G data connection. 3G/2G can be a problem.

In the end, the best is to have both a Singapore sim and a local sim. That is what I did for my Dec 2018 trip.

VPN is only for those who need to stay for long time.

adrianch

Reaction score
For M1 mySIM plans with 12/24 months contract, is the caller ID still free or chargeable at $5 per month after the contract auto renew at the end of 12/24 months?

boliao45

Reaction score
Free cid will not auto renew. You'll have to watch out for deals when your contact is expiring soon.
Unless you're on the old ntuc promo where the free cid is 24 months and you still can have one more year to go after the first year ended.

Bottom line is, be mindful of what you're signing up before putting down your signature.

For M1 mySIM plans with 12/24 months contract, is the caller ID still free or chargeable at $5 per month after the contract auto renew at the end of 12/24 months?

Last edited:

giraffey

Reaction score

it depends on the promo. the advantage of the 12 months is that in the event there is a better promo, you can actually recontract/restart the 12 months period without penalty. i did this for 2 of my lines which auto renewed before the new promo that comes with free caller id.

boliao45

Reaction score
Ntuc discount already closed. M1 only have safra discount left i think.
Porting in benefit only has 800 mins additional talk time
Recontact benefit is free cid and autoroaming

Now m1 no port over discount right since the ntuc $18 expired

SibehHL

Reaction score
Ntuc discount already closed. M1 only have safra discount left i think.
Porting in benefit only has 800 mins additional talk time
Recontact benefit is free cid and autoroaming

In April, Safra promo changes from extra 1GB data to 5GB data. This additional 5GB data is added to the basic plan 5GB, giving a total 10GB data in case data passport is activated. Not sure if this promo is still valid.

adrianch

Reaction score
Free cid will not auto renew. You'll have to watch out for deals when your contact is expiring soon.
Unless you're on the old ntuc promo where the free cid is 24 months and you still can have one more year to go after the first year ended.

Bottom line is, be mindful of what you're signing up before putting down your signature.

Based on current mySIM promo, can manually renew free caller ID when re-contract after 12/24 months? Or the caller ID will cease to be free?

shawnng

Reaction score
Still valid.
Correction it's a total of 20gb

100 mins outgoing + 800 (port in)
15gb + 5gb (safra)
Caller id (24 months contact only)

Monthly $20

In April, Safra promo changes from extra 1GB data to 5GB data. This additional 5GB data is added to the basic plan 5GB, giving a total 10GB data in case data passport is activated. Not sure if this promo is still valid.

rodimus_prime

Master Member
Reaction score
Hv a 2 year 4G4 contract with StarHub that ends today 27/4. But not able to recontract to SIM only plan online. System won’t allow even though 27/4 is clearly stated. Seems I hv to wait till 28/4.

Is this correct ?

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hv a 2 year 4G4 contract with StarHub that ends today 27/4. But not able to recontract to SIM only plan online. System won’t allow even though 27/4 is clearly stated. Seems I hv to wait till 28/4.

Is this correct ?
have you tried called Starhub to check with them?

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

hk7310

Reaction score

Is this correct ?

If your contract ended on 27/4, that means on 27/4 the contract is still in-force. The contract will expire on the very next day, that is 28/4.

boliao45

Reaction score
Read the fine print. Telco always reserves the right to change. I don't think free cid will autorenew unless that promo is still on when your contract is up. My previous auto renew was before free cid, so i call up and was asked to recontract again during the free cid promo. So, when it comes to your expiry date and no more free cid then dont have.

if its autorenew or manually renewed though, the caller id is free.

binbinpon

Master Member
Reaction score
No need to worry. TPG will be fully functional next year. The price war will continue. Consumers benefit ultimately

rodimus_prime

Master Member
Reaction score
If your contract ended on 27/4, that means on 27/4 the contract is still in-force. The contract will expire on the very next day, that is 28/4.

Thanks...that is indeed the case. Recontracted on early hours of 28/4 and it went through.

athenodorus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just ported in from StarHub old plan to 12 months m1 my Sim 20 after contract ended.

-20gb data
-weekend free data
-900 talk time, 100 sms
-free 3 m1 numbers call
-free cid
-esim fee waived

Hope I won’t regret!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.