Forced from cable TV to fibre TV by Starhub

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

qualcom

Reaction score
Not yet finished but TVB on big screen is one exclusive content for StarHub previously before this new development.

If you only need VOD, I think there are now pretty good choices in Singapore, with Toggle, StarHub Go, SingTel Cast, Netflix, HBO Go, TVB Anywhere+, Viu, Amazon Prime Video, Hooq, Fox+, Catchplay On Demand, etc, as well as the offering from Apple and Google.

If you need live TV, then it is still limited in Singapore. Toggle, SingTel Cast and StarHub Go only have limited choices for live TV, compared to SingTel TV and StarHub Fibre TV.

and of course there are some other paid iptv apps like myiptv and hao hd which you can install on any android box. ;)

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not yet finished but TVB on big screen is one exclusive content for StarHub previously before this new development.

If you only need VOD, I think there are now pretty good choices in Singapore, with Toggle, StarHub Go, SingTel Cast, Netflix, HBO Go, TVB Anywhere+, Viu, Amazon Prime Video, Hooq, Fox+, Catchplay On Demand, etc, as well as the offering from Apple and Google.

If you need live TV, then it is still limited in Singapore. Toggle, SingTel Cast and StarHub Go only have limited choices for live TV, compared to SingTel TV and StarHub Fibre TV.
Not totally finished but some how finished as there are many app available. Some free streaming sites also have such video streaming but some is 720p only.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
and of course there are some other paid iptv apps like myiptv and hao hd which you can install on any android box. ;)

These are paid IPTV packages made from curated pirate streams. They may stop working any time when the rights holders raise complaints to the court.

I understand why people choose to go with this type of IPTV packages but I will not recommend them.

Ref: feedback of HaoHD is not good and it is expensive.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/home-theatre-audiophiles-13/iptv-vs-netflix-6028184.html

Last edited:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
These are paid IPTV packages made from curated pirate streams. They may stop working any time when the rights holders raise complaints to the court.

I understand why people choose to go with this type of IPTV packages but I will not recommend them.

Ref:

Not recommend because it may stop working. But many shops still selling. Actually Starhub should continue to offer second pass free with first pass sign up and make it as default standard offer.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not recommend because it may stop working. But many shops still selling.

There are many bad feedbacks for these paid IPTV packages, like the sellers run road, the code does not work, apps got blocked, etc.

Most of them do not have a proper website and proper support channels. How can that be reliable?

Last edited:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are many bad feedbacks in these paid IPTV packages, like the sellers run road, the code does not work, apps got blocked, etc.

Most of them do not have a proper website and proper support channels. How can that be reliable?

I see. Then how red bean TV box works? I see they can play when i pass by their shop.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Currently I feel the best combo would be buying a mi box S, then install netflix (10.90) + tvb ($5.98) + singtel cast (Chinese for $12.90).

About $30/ month which is pretty reasonable. I like it because:

1. Little commitment (mostly no contract except for singtel cast - 1 year)

2. No box rental since xiaomi is $80. No nonsense as additional box rental and mirror of content

3. No signing up fees

4. No extra cables, EOCC, lan lines etc...

Personally for me, VOD is better than live TV. Unless you need to watch real time like football etc...

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Currently I feel the best combo would be buying a mi box S, then install netflix (10.90) + tvb ($5.98) + singtel cast (Chinese for $12.90).

2. No box rental since xiaomi is $80. No nonsense as additional box rental and mirror of content

3. No signing up fees

Personally for me, VOD is better than live TV. Unless you need to watch real time like football etc...

I also feel the same especially for my bedroom use.

rajeev3001

Reaction score

3. No signing up fees

good idea especially when you don't watch sports.
but for sports, i'm yet to find something legit at an affordable price.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
good idea especially when you don't watch sports.
but for sports, i'm yet to find something legit at an affordable price.

The cheapest is SingTel Cast Sports Plus Pack at S$49.9 per month and this is open to non-SingTel customers.

https://www.singtel.com/personal/products-services/lifestyle-services/cast/sports-plus

For those who understand and do not mind Chinese dubbing, CCTV 5 and CCTV 5+ can be used for many live matches. There are quite some free live TV apps from Dangbei or Shafa market which you can use to watch all major live TV channels from mainland China. They do not require VPN.

There are more options here if you pay for VIP access for Tencent Sports and use VPN. I have not tried iQiYi Sports and PP Sports.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...one-chinese-entertainment-apps-5929935-4.html

Last edited:

Paul Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Starhub finished la. So many way to watch TV.

Not totally finished. I think they will always have a group of core customers.

Those who are not tech savvy (not necessarily the elderly folks).

Those who are lazy and dun want to have multiple accounts like all the different VOD services. Or go hunting for an alternative source.

Those who still like to watch live TV.

And maybe possibly those who enjoy watching lifestyle and documentaries. These genres are not well represented in the VOD space and SH/ST TV is still best if AFC, Discovery, NatGeo, BBC Earth are your things.

As of 2018, SH still has 409,000 Pay TV subscribers. ST has 401,000 subscribers. The numbers are dropping but not insignificant.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.