Forced from cable TV to fibre TV by Starhub

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think as long as you don't improve, you will be gone one day. My mum in her 70s just learnt how to use an ipad, smart TV. She realised that it is a new way to watch TV like tvb, toggle, singtel cast. Of course have to put in effort to teach her and answer her questions. Again, we find it happy she is keen to learn. My dad in his late 70s already learn how to use a tablet couple of months back. I think elderly don't mind learning new technology as long as it is not difficult.

To be honest, I don't mind Starhub and Singtel fiber TV. Only issue is a lot of limitation/ restrictions and additional charges

1. Why need their proprietary modem?
2. Why need to charge signup fees?
3. Why cannot design a system more user friendly? Can support multiple devices, rooms (no need long cables and additional devices)

We keep talking about smart nation but which part is smart? China has moved to tv apps (youku, iqiyi, tengxun etc..). I agree they have their limitation but these tech companies are moving in the right direction. I think live TV app (subscription) will come. Someone will eventually disrupt the pay TV. Just like what grab did to the taxi companies.

I always believe if you refuse to change, you will lose all ur clients. But it doesn't matter to those sitting at the top.

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think as long as you don't improve, you will be gone one day. My mum in her 70s just learnt how to use an ipad, smart TV. She realised that it is a new way to watch TV like tvb, toggle, singtel cast. Of course have to put in effort to teach her and answer her questions. Again, we find it happy she is keen to learn. My dad in his late 70s already learn how to use a tablet couple of months back. I think elderly don't mind learning new technology as long as it is not difficult.

To be honest, I don't mind Starhub and Singtel fiber TV. Only issue is a lot of limitation/ restrictions and additional charges

1. Why need their proprietary modem?
2. Why need to charge signup fees?
3. Why cannot design a system more user friendly? Can support multiple devices, rooms (no need long cables and additional devices)

We keep talking about smart nation but which part is smart? China has moved to tv apps (youku, iqiyi, tengxun etc..). I agree they have their limitation but these tech companies are moving in the right direction. I think live TV app (subscription) will come. Someone will eventually disrupt the pay TV. Just like what grab did to the taxi companies.

I always believe if you refuse to change, you will lose all ur clients. But it doesn't matter to those sitting at the top.

all about money.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
They got 2 shops in SLS, if that bad how they survive?

Tampines also have 1 shop but i am just look look see see type and not buying type. I have Starhub fibre TV and a streaming box in one of my room. Just wonder how they work when the authority is so serious about copy right now?

Last edited:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha, you are having issues with StarHub lately, I think you have both StarHub TV and StarHub Go Streaming Box.

No issue. Everyone is human so sure want to save $$$. Even rich people, save $$$.

Paul Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I agree with much of what you said and really glad that my comments on tech-savvy elderly folks were spot on (too much stereotyping)

I do not really agree that a Grab-like company will come in to disrupt the pay TV industry. ST and SH have a natural barrier to entry from paying all the IP fees.

Is there any companies willing to pay all the IP fees for such a small market like Singapore?

Some companies like Eleven Sports tried to offer an alternative but has not succeed. If they cannot succeed with a relatively attractive content like sports, then what chance is there for the other genre like kids, education, drama etc.

I believe HBO Go, Fox+, TVBAnywhere etc are the step in the right direction where the content owner comes out with their respective streaming services. There is more to be done to improve things. For example, I'm still not sure what the contents are in Fox+. And I wish there were separate options just to sign up for National Geographic instead of the entire suite.

So I'm waiting for companies like BBC and Discovery to launch their own VOD services in Spore but frankly, I won't hold my breath.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think the market is not about Singapore alone. Probably there is a way to go around this. Apple also has no problem doing movies for iTunes. I believe they are not negotiating the deal only for Singapore.

Likewise, China can negotiate the deal to cover SG since most of the huge film makers for Chinese movies are Chinese companies (they have become larger than than Hong Kong). We get a very poor deal for BPL. If you are watching like 4-5 matches a month, not worth to pay $70

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I believe HBO Go, Fox+, TVBAnywhere etc are the step in the right direction where the content owner comes out with their respective streaming services. There is more to be done to improve things. For example, I'm still not sure what the contents are in Fox+. And I wish there were separate options just to sign up for National Geographic instead of the entire suite.

So I'm waiting for companies like BBC and Discovery to launch their own VOD services in Spore but frankly, I won't hold my breath.

Fox+ contents are in their help site.
https://foxplus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

https://foxplus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010908873-What-shows-are-on-

The main website is rather empty.
https://www.foxplus.com/in/terms

Starhub Fox+ FAQ
http://www.starhub.com/personal/support/services-and-plans/other-streaming-services/fox-plus.html

SingTel Fox+ is clearer on the contents.
https://www.singtel.com/personal/products-services/lifestyle-services/cast/fox-plus

The price is a bit high probably because of sports contents.

Last edited:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I agree with much of what you said and really glad that my comments on tech-savvy elderly folks were spot on (too much stereotyping)

I do not really agree that a Grab-like company will come in to disrupt the pay TV industry. ST and SH have a natural barrier to entry from paying all the IP fees.

Is there any companies willing to pay all the IP fees for such a small market like Singapore?

Some companies like Eleven Sports tried to offer an alternative but has not succeed. If they cannot succeed with a relatively attractive content like sports, then what chance is there for the other genre like kids, education, drama etc.

If every content owners selling their own service directly to the users at reasonable price then middle man like SH and ST may suffer because users buying direct.

fi5hbone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Like what happened to Comcast in the US. They just have to innovate and move on from there.

The convenience of having everything in one place still appeals to the majority though due to its simplicity of use and ability to channel surf. There are a group of people who still do that rather than look out for specific shows only.

That being said, the future generation who don’t really channel surf but YouTube surf will have very different engagements with such media.

kakaBoBo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
going to do a renewal this weekend.
What the best promotion to neg for till date ?
still the same 6mth free thingy ?

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
going to do a renewal this weekend.
What the best promotion to neg for till date ?
still the same 6mth free thingy ?

did u receive the switchover mailer?
i think there are 2 promos: some get homehub 6mth free, some get broadband 24mth free.

Paul Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That should be the main US FOX+ right?

You missed the most important point: Shows may vary from country to country. :)

So I'm still not sure what show is available on FOX+ Spore.

Anyway, I agree the price is too ex. So not even going to consider.

I agree it is not very clear. The SingTel Cast Fox+ site list the six live TV channels, 3 for sports, 3 for movies. But it is not clear what VOD contents are offered.
https://www.singtel.com/personal/products-services/lifestyle-services/cast/fox-plus

Price is high. The supported device list is not bad with both Apple TV and Android TV listed.
https://foxplus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010622334-Which-devices-are-supported-

News last time when they started to support Android TV in Singapore. The article did mention some of the contents offered.
https://www.asiaone.com/business/fox-now-available-on-android-tv

Probably Disney+ will be good once it is available here. Not so soon though since the first launch will be Nov 2019 for US.

Last edited:

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I agree it is not very clear. The SingTel Cast Fox+ site list the six live TV channels, 3 for sports, 3 for movies. But it is not clear what VOD contents are offered.

Price is high. The supported device list is not bad with both Apple TV and Android TV listed.
https://foxplus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010622334-Which-devices-are-supported-

News last time when they started to support Android TV in Singapore. The article did mention some of the contents offered.
https://www.asiaone.com/business/fox-now-available-on-android-tv

Probably Disney+ will be good once it is available here. Not so soon though since the first launch will be Nov 2019 for US.

Do we need vpn to watch?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.