Does GPA matters after you graduate?

Reaction score

*head meet desk* how old are you and how many years have you been in the working world?

I'll pretend that you are not trolling and state the standard exam 100% correct answer- after the interview and if you are in the public sector once your pay grade has been settled; your GPA counts for jackshit. Why? because that's when the exams and niceties stop and it's your time to start performing.
Best part? there's no hiding if you're lousy. Not even when you're a white horse more pure bred then a pure breed dog.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't expect this answer

What were you expecting?
You let me know which earth you living on I very nice one, can provide you with the answer you want. All you must do is to give me 100 marks.
You happy I happy. :s22:

*Are you serious? You think this one what? Channel 8 drama. As lousy as their actors are, their plot also upgrade from 1965*

zabalang

Reaction score
For those big companies, a good GPA gets you to the door (i.e a bad gpa = door also don't have). Whether you get the job or not is beyond the GPA liao. But if you have the network and is zai just that cannot ace exams, then GPA is not important at all lor.

JPDenim

Reaction score
For those big companies, a good GPA gets you to the door (i.e a bad gpa = door also don't have). Whether you get the job or not is beyond the GPA liao. But if you have the network and is zai just that cannot ace exams, then GPA is not important at all lor.
Networking > GPA. This is the most useful takeaway from FTW. It is not what you know but who you know.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's not what you know but who you know that know you to give u a job.
You knowing them not good enough, they have to know u well right back.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
*head meet desk* how old are you and how many years have you been in the working world?

I'll pretend that you are not trolling and state the standard exam 100% correct answer- after the interview and if you are in the public sector once your pay grade has been settled; your GPA counts for jackshit. Why? because that's when the exams and niceties stop and it's your time to start performing.
Best part? there's no hiding if you're lousy. Not even when you're a white horse more pure bred then a pure breed dog.

Lousy white horse in your eyes maybe brilliant to those who promo them.

mudxblood

Master Member
Reaction score

As others have mentioned, GPA only counts when you apply for your first job (i.e. High GPA grants you an interview,whatever happened during the interview is entirely up to you). Subsequently, its all about the experiences.

NurShah

Reaction score
those with education have a higher chance of succeeding. those without can still succeed if they are street smart. Those who are street smart & book smart are in the top management position. At the end of the day, GPA is just a number

Idme231

Reaction score
lol GPA for u to see grades to measure ur understanding and ability to do tests..

impt thing is u got learn or not...
GPA can prove... but what everyone see is can do or cannot do... or have experience or stuff or not..

JoseBaller

Reaction score
to a certain extent... depends on the industry that you want to go. most industries will not put heavy emphasis on GPA, as long as you do ok and have the network / communication skills. but in certain industries, everyone has a minimum of 3.7. you won't be going anywhere with anything less than that.

bizzywizzy

Reaction score
But wait

gpa is important.
internship/work experiences are important.
connections are important.

but if you should slack off on one, never ever choose the second one.

smiletutor

Reaction score
yes,
only useful when you first time find job

Agreed, and also it matters more for some jobs vs others. But to a certain extent.

Second lower... hard to find jobs sometimes (depends on what you're looking for)
Second upper - first ... similar in standard for some companies
First - how much you stand out from second upper depends on the job/ company. Some companies allocate you to different departments due to grades, different pay grade. Some companies hire only first class (i.e. top tier finance companies)

charlotteyang

Reaction score
gpa is important, but only to limited extent.

I have friends, including myself, had second lower honours, but still managed to get into MNCs. And during interviews, they asked more about real experiences you had during internships, or running your own business. Interviewers are also concerned about your people skills, which can't be determined by your grades.

So as long as you don't get a failing gpa, there's still chance.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.