AFTERSHOCK PC - Now featuring Nvidia 10 series graphics cards!

crapp0

Master Member
Reaction score
Since when do laptop companies service softwares? obviously the question is directed at hardware servicing. If i am going to ask what fruit is that, your answer is akin to that is a fruit. :s8:

what kind of servicing do you need for laptop?

Servicing for PC's general entail hardware, when did you say about "software"? Obviously not from your previous question.

NMSS_2

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Servicing for PC's general entail hardware, when did you say about "software"? Obviously not from your previous question.

i guess software could be part of the question since i was asking a generic question. :s22:

chiaRH

Reaction score
Not many of us would go into the trouble of looking for a specific model issues as there might be a myriad of laptops to select from. I did my research and didnt encounter my laptop specified issues. However, heat (i didnt check the internals HSF design enough) and the heavy power consumption(didnt use power hungry programs before in laptops) was totally unexpected. If i knew the outcome of such, i could have gone toward using a proper gaming laptop instead of portable since the power draw is similar when using such programs and the design of the HSF is generally better.

But motherboard failure could easily affect anyone. One primary reason could be the QC of the company. I think i would consider looking for others' feedback on servicing to check on their quality standards and whether it is worthwhile getting it locally for warranty.

yeah these things have a high degree of complexity, 1000 ways stuff can go wrong so there isnt even much point trying to due diligence on issues unless said issues are very well documented (and not everyone who has a problem will come to forum to post about it as well)

for example my current aftershock laptop has a BSOD issue that is so specific that I was lucky to find a solution by users on notebookreview
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/synaptics-causes-bsod-on-p650se.770938/page-16#post-10235938

because this issue is registry related, if I ever factory reset my laptop it will also cause the issue to come back. Its not a catastrophic issue like motherboard fail, but it's annoying enough that if the problem had no solution and keep recurring I would have considered a RMA.

late 2020 will mark the 4th year of my current laptop, i might upgrade then so for now am just keeping eye out on potential models like the aftershock slate to see how they fare

I wonder if its an issue or not with my nova 15, ive noticed that whenever i try to start up my laptop with the battery removed, it wont boot to windows on the first startup, it will just get stucked at the aftershock logo.

Its only after i restart it after that point, then it will boot up with no issues at all.

Not sure if the issue is because i removed the removable battery and just ran the laptop purely from power adapter without the battery installed.

You could take it down to bendemeer for them to test it like whether the same issue happens if they do the same thing to another unit of the exact same model as yours

Since you observe the issue with the battery removed, then the 1st thing to try would be put the battery back in and use normally. Does the bootup still stuck at logo initially? If yes then it has nothing to do with the battery.

Last edited:

crapp0

Master Member
Reaction score
yeah these things have a high degree of complexity, 1000 ways stuff can go wrong so there isnt even much point trying to due diligence on issues unless said issues are very well documented (and not everyone who has a problem will come to forum to post about it as well)

for example my current aftershock laptop has a BSOD issue that is so specific that I was lucky to find a solution by users on notebookreview
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/synaptics-causes-bsod-on-p650se.770938/page-16#post-10235938

because this issue is registry related, if I ever factory reset my laptop it will also cause the issue to come back. Its not a catastrophic issue like motherboard fail, but it's annoying enough that if the problem had no solution and keep recurring I would have considered a RMA.

late 2020 will mark the 4th year of my current laptop, i might upgrade then so for now am just keeping eye out on potential models like the aftershock slate to see how they fare

You could take it down to bendemeer for them to test it like whether the same issue happens if they do the same thing to another unit of the exact same model as yours

Since you observe the issue with the battery removed, then the 1st thing to try would be put the battery back in and use normally. Does the bootup still stuck at logo initially? If yes then it has nothing to do with the battery.

I'll test it out later when im back home with the battery installed to see if that solves the problem.

From what ive noticed, the whenever i havent used the laptop for half a day or so and try to boot it up, it will show the aftershock logo, and usually shortly after that, there will be a spinning icon below the aftershock logo followed by the windows start login screen.

But now during initial powering up, it just freezes at the aftershock logo, so no spinning logo below and subsequent windows login screen.

crapp0

Master Member
Reaction score
Just got a reply from aftershocks technical support and they informed the issue has been resolved due to faulty memory.

This is the first time ive heard faulty memory causing this problem which affects only start up but everything else is working perfectly.

Tripp

Reaction score
Anyone owns a Nova 15?

Intending to get one but there is no display set at the showroom, and an inquiry reveals that they are awaiting arrival of the new chassis and we can only get the stocks from early May onwards.

Does anyone have actual detailed pics of the chassis (top/bottom/left/right) as I can't seem to get the visuals from their stock photos & videos. What is the equivalent Clevo chassis I should be looking for, and are there any other aftermarket models that use the same chassis?

Also, does anyone know the 16 GB DDR4 2666 RAM brand/model? I assume its the same for the other AfterShock models. Thinking of doing the upgrade of SSD & RAM myself to save on costs.

Thanks for any info.

Reaction score
nova should be the PB50

Anyone owns a Nova 15?

Does anyone have actual detailed pics of the chassis (top/bottom/left/right) as I can't seem to get the visuals from their stock photos & videos. What is the equivalent Clevo chassis I should be looking for, and are there any other aftermarket models that use the same chassis?
Nova 15's base chassis is Clevo's PB50EF-G (E = Coffee Lake-H, F = RTX2070 Max-P, -G = G-Sync equipped)
For those who want to see clearer chassis pics you can try this site: Sager NP8356 Notebook, based on Clevo's PB51EF-G chassis
(Interesting to note: They mentioned that the Thunderbolt 3 Type C Port is located on the RIGHT side of the chassis together with a USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-A Port.)

Also, could the delay in the display units have to do with the impending REFRESH of their CPU/GPU lineup, meaning the MX Series could be gone to make way for their successors that are likely to rock NEW parts announced today by Intel and NVidia:

- Intel Core 9th Generation Coffee Lake-HR Processors, with the main option being the i7-9750H CPU to replace the current i7-8750H for all applicable models. SLATE and NOVA are likely to be refreshed with these new GPUs in the foreseeable future (SLATE 15: P960ED/F/N -> P960RD/F/N, and NOVA 15: PB50EF-G -> PB50RF-G)
- Nvidia GeForce GTX1660Ti and GTX1650 Notebook GPUs that could power the graphics hardware for the MX-Series successors (possibly based Clevo's NH50RC Chassis?) as they are tailored for the mid-range gaming market.

Last edited:

Tripp

Reaction score

chiaRH

Reaction score
to my knowledge no clevo laptop supports USB-C charging

note that whether the USB port is TB3 or not has no impact on this.

The charging protocol for such things is USB-PD not thunderbolt

Tripp

Reaction score
Looks like Aftershock have updated their notebooks with the new 9th Gen CPUs.

Does the Forge models use the same chassis as MX series?

chiaRH

Reaction score
Looks like Aftershock have updated their notebooks with the new 9th Gen CPUs.

Does the Forge models use the same chassis as MX series?

the forge is new cos you can see the lid has more design accents while the MX used to be more plain and understated

j_t_fusion

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
HELP!!!

all of a sudden the keyboard of my SM17 (GTX 960m) is not working.
the hotkey functions (Fn + F1-F12) works so it is not a hardware problem.

any idea where can i download the keyboard driver to reinstall?

Destiny108

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am planning to get a Aftershock laptop.
Probably going to play "Division 2" with it.
Just wondering if anyone knows if the 1650 graphic card is good enough for it? cause if can I will just get the Forge series.
If not I will probably get the Apex lite.
Looking to get something just enough for normal usage and play Division 2 only.
Not a hardcore gamer.
Thanks in advance for any advice given.
:)

Sent from HUAWEI ELE-L29 using GAGT

chiaRH

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just wondering if anyone knows if the 1650 graphic card is good enough for it? cause if can I will just get the Forge series.
Not a hardcore gamer.

The 1650 is sort of successor to 1050

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1650-Laptop-GPU.416044.0.html

so if you look at performance levels it may struggle with a game like division 2 at above-medium settings.

division 2 has open world environment to handle in processing workload, so compared to something like Battlefield V even if both games look like high end graphics titles, division will tax your system more

narkizy

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Not a hardcore gamer.

The 1650 is roughly similar to a 1060 MAX Q laptop variant.

For context, my Prime 15 with GTX 1060(full) struggles to handle Division 2 at high settings(bad stutters and fps drops if i played at high). The game's really only playable at medium settings. Also thanks to the game being so bloody badly optimised for laptop hardware. So expect similar-worse performance.

Tom Clancy GRW:
Same underwhelming performance where I'm forced to play at medium settings on 1080p to even maintain 60FPS, and I still get occasional FPS stutters. But to be fair I noticed it leans more towards CPU bottlenecking where apparently my 7700HQ cant handle this game.

Your safest bet for high-ultra future proof gaming at AAA titles for the next 2-3 years is at LEAST 2060 or 2070, the 16 series laptop GPUs just wont cut it. Especially with the new RTX trend games will be following in the future.

Seeing the mid-tier GTX 1060 underperform so badly in new AAA titles in less than 2 years(since 2017) has left a bitter taste in my mouth lol.

Last edited:

chiaRH

Reaction score
was checking the clevo site and notice theres a PB70

strange how aftershock didnt use that for the nova 17 since I assumed Novas will be the PB series.

The recent 2019 nova 17 is using the same chassis as the old W17 which is that kind of gigantic practically-not-portable form factor. So basically the naming scheme is all over the place now (starting to miss the old days when we only had to deal with MX, S and W series)

example of the PB70 sold by sager
https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP8371.html

it looks to be about 3 kilos which is definitely a weight difference you can feel compared to carrying the nova 17

i guess maybe one can argue that the tongfang 17 inch model overlaps too much with clevo PB70 maybe thats why the latter isnt in aftershock's lineup

Last edited:
Reaction score
strange how aftershock didnt use that for the nova 17 since I assumed Novas will be the PB series.

The recent 2019 nova 17 is using the same chassis as the old W17 which is that kind of gigantic practically-not-portable form factor. So basically the naming scheme is all over the place now (starting to miss the old days when we only had to deal with MX, S and W series)

it looks to be about 3 kilos which is definitely a weight difference you can feel compared to carrying the nova 17

i guess maybe one can argue that the tongfang 17 inch model overlaps too much with clevo PB70 maybe thats why the latter isnt in aftershock's lineup

The biggest issue is that BOTH the PB51EF-G (NOVA 15) and the P775TM1-G (NOVA 17) have two things in common: Biometric Recognition (the former like the SLATE Series is on the glass itself, while the latter has a dedicated scanner on the top-left corner of the track pad from the W-Series) and a dedicated Thunderbolt 3 Port.

Also in the US, Sager's own iterations of the PB series has another feature that other models lack: 4K 2160p OLED Display.

Also, it also meant that only the NOVA Series would have the Thunderbolt 3 port installed inside, although it may change once the Ice Lake/Comet Lake Series of CPUs are made available, as their supporting motherboards would include full Thunderbolt 3 Controller built-in (which Intel announced pre-Computex when they announced thelaunch of the 10nm Ice Lake-U Processors). Even the newly-launched LUNAR 14 (succeeds the P-14 Helix which is based N140WU) loaded with Whiskey Lake-U and MX250 GPU has omitted the Thunderbolt 3 port present on the P-14 Helix, meaning the Akitio eGPU casing sold previously becomes literally unworkable with the new laptop. It is unknown at the moment which chassis is used for the LUNAR 14, but I won't be surprised if this ultra portable could be updated with the upcoming Core i7-1065G7 GPU soon.

Reaction score
HELP!!!

all of a sudden the keyboard of my SM17 (GTX 960m) is not working.
the hotkey functions (Fn + F1-F12) works so it is not a hardware problem.

any idea where can i download the keyboard driver to reinstall?

Try this site (or copy link to your browser if not click able): https://www.clevo.com.tw/en/e-services/Download/default.asp
To find the chassis the SM-17 is based upon, look for the label attached to the BOTTOM COVER of your laptop and search for that Model Number written on that label.
If I'm not wrong, SM-17's chassis is based N170SD, but do check to be sure.

Last edited:

chaud@sg

Reaction score
Hi guys, my Aftershock S15 is having issues with it's motherboard and i am quoted $960 for the repair. Wanna get ur guys opinion whether i should go ahead with the repair or should i just get a new laptop instead?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.