Android TV Box

jonatan1312

Reaction score
Update my previous post.

5) Mi Box S or Nvidia Shield TV running official Android TV OS whch supports Netflix 4k and YouTube 4k. You can load other apps as well with some exceptions like Starhub Go and TVB Anywhere SG. But you can use Starhub Go on the mobile and cast to TV.

HI,

I just read your post in page 94 of this thread and it mentioned that TVB Anywhere SG can't be loaded in Mi Box S. Is it true?
Is TVB Anywhere SG same as TVB Anywhere+ ?

Asking this question to you because I'm considering to buy Mi Box S for my wife who is a fan of TVB drama series.

Thanks.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
HI,

I just read your post in page 94 of this thread and it mentioned that TVB Anywhere SG can't be loaded in Mi Box S. Is it true?
Is TVB Anywhere SG same as TVB Anywhere+ ?

Asking this question to you because I'm considering to buy Mi Box S for my wife who is a fan of TVB drama series.

Thanks.

I will update that one. TVB has replaced TVB Anywhere SG with TVBAnywhere+ now.

The new TVBAnywhere+ app can be installed on Mi Box S. No live TV though.

Download of the TV version apk is here.
https://plus.tvbanywhere.com

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

jonatan1312

Reaction score
Do not buy. Read Page 94 of this thread for better options like Mi Box S or Tanix TX5 Max.

Between these two boxes (Mi Box S and Tanix TX5), which one is your preference for watching TVB anywhere+, disney, live streaming football matches and probably HBO and netflix?

Mi Box S seems easy for new user. But, it doesn't have ethernet port. I'm afraid it will lag for live streaming football matches. It also lack of USB ports, etc (only has 1 HDMI port and 1 USB port if I remember correctly). The memory and storage capacity are also less than TX5.

While TX5 has more ports and ethernet port. It has higher memory and storage capacity. But I'm not sure whether it's easy to use and its quality.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Between these two boxes (Mi Box S and Tanix TX5), which one is your preference for watching TVB anywhere+, disney, live streaming football matches and probably HBO and netflix?

Mi Box S seems easy for new user. But, it doesn't have ethernet port. I'm afraid it will lag for live streaming football matches. It also lack of USB ports, etc (only has 1 HDMI port and 1 USB port if I remember correctly). The memory and storage capacity are also less than TX5.

While TX5 has more ports and ethernet port. It has higher memory and storage capacity. But I'm not sure whether it's easy to use and its quality.

Tanix TX5 will not meet your requirements. It is not officially supported by TVBAnywhere+. It will not support HBO Go or Netflix either with HD quality.

Based on your needs Mi Box S is your best option. It has good WiFi performance, just do not put it too far away from router.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mi Box S are they selling in the official Xiaomi stores here yet?

Looks like they just start to sell. But the cost of S$109 is higher than Lazada and Shopee. Usually the listed price is around S$80-90.

gnooliew

Reaction score

jonatan1312

Reaction score
Tanix TX5 will not meet your requirements. It is not officially supported by TVBAnywhere+. It will not support HBO Go or Netflix either with HD quality.

Based on your needs Mi Box S is your best option. It has good WiFi performance, just do not put it too far away from router.

Thanks for your quick reply.

I think for livingroom, I'll buy mi box s because it's near my router.
But for my bedroom which is distance away from router with wall separate the router from bedroom, probably I need TX5 using ethernet cable.
Can I install TVB ANywhere+ in TX5 and will it work?

Sorry if I ask so many questions to you since you are expert in this area.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply.

I think for livingroom, I'll buy mi box s because it's near my router.
But for my bedroom which is distance away from router with wall separate the router from bedroom, probably I need TX5 using ethernet cable.
Can I install TVB ANywhere+ in TX5 and will it work?

Sorry if I ask so many questions to you since you are expert in this area.

I will suggest you buy one Mi Box S first to test out for both the living room and the bedroom.

You can buy Ugreen Ethernet adapter if in the end Mi Box S has some issues with WiFi.

My test shows TVB Anywhere+ Mobile version works under Tanix TX5 Max now. However there is no guarantee that in the future it will work.

Previously TVB Anywhere SG worked under some of my boxes. Later they updated the app and detected external display, all my boxes no longer works. Now TVB upgrades again the app to become TVB Anywhere+ and then some of my boxes work again. These experiences make me feel it is better to buy the officially supported box like Mi Box S for TVB.

The other thing is that I have not got Miracast working under Tanix TX5 Max yet. Miracast is a backup solution for TVB Anywhere + app if you have an Android phone.

TVB Anywhere+ app under Android phone does officially support Miracast so you can actually cast to your TV if your TV supports Miracast.

If your bedroom TV is either Samsung or LG smart TV, usually they support Miracast. If your TV is Sony Android TV, you should be able to install the TV apk on the TV itself.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For Tanix TX5 Max Android 8.1 box users, please share if you have Miracast working or not.

It comes with Airscreen free version (also available from Google Play Store) which works with Airplay and DLNA Cast but not Miracast (feature disabled).

Happy Cast works fine for Airplay and DLNA Cast.

Not a real issue though as usually you do not need Miracast. Still I'd like to test this out.

Tanix TX6 Android 9 box comes with Airscreen and a separate Miscast app. That app does not work under Tanix TX5 Max.

Then I have other Andrpid 7.1 boxes which also have Miracast apps. But those apps does not work under Tanix TX5 Max either.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For Tanix TX5 Max Android 8.1 box users, please share if you have Miracast working or not.

It comes with Airscreen free version (also available from Google Play Store) which works with Airplay and DLNA Cast but not Miracast (feature disabled).

Happy Cast works fine for Airplay and DLNA Cast.

Not a real issue though as usually you do not need Miracast. Still I'd like to test this out.

Tanix TX6 Android 9 box comes with Airscreen and a separate Miscast app. That app does not work under Tanix TX5 Max.

Then I have other Andrpid 7.1 boxes which also have Miracast apps. But those apps does not work under Tanix TX5 Max either.

even if it works, miracast doesn't work well for streaming video. save it for photo/slide shows.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TVB on big screen was one exclusive content for StarHub previously but now finally TVB Anywhere + is also offered for big screen by offering Android TV version on its website.

If you only need VOD, I think there are now pretty good legitimate alternative offerings to SingTel TV and StarHub Fibre TV in Singapore, with Toggle, StarHub Go, SingTel Cast, Netflix, HBO Go, TVB Anywhere+, Viu, Amazon Prime Video, Hooq, Fox+, Catchplay On Demand, etc, as well as the offering from Apple and Google.

If you need live TV, then it is still limited in Singapore. Toggle, SingTel Cast and StarHub Go only have limited choices for live TV, compared to SingTel TV and StarHub Fibre TV.

If you look at these legitimate streaming services, you can see Android TV OS device like Mi Box S or Nvidia Shield TV is the best choice. They cover most of the apps — either you can install the apps on the box (eg: Netflix, SingTel Cast, TVB Anywhere +), or you can use the built-in Chromecast to cast from phone (StarHub Go, HBO Go, etc).

Toggle works with Chromecast dongle, but it is reported to have issues with Mi Box S’s built-in Chromecast function.

Amazon Prime Video is only available on NVidia Shield TV but not Mi Box S yet and it does not support Chromecast. But with the settlement between Google and Amazon, probably it will be available soon.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
even if it works, miracast doesn't work well for streaming video. save it for photo/slide shows.

For me it is only needed for TVB Anywhere + Mobile screen mirroring and Huawei Wireless Projection.

TVB Anywhere+ TV version works under TX5 Max so the screen mirroring is not necessary now.

I have bought a Ugreen USB Type-C dock to work with my Huawei P20 phone for EMUI desktop mode but it causes the phone to overheat so the experiment failed. The other way is to use Wireless projection which works only with Miracast.

Again not strictly needed because DLNA cast works for my apps like Youku. But it is still good to get Miracast working on Tanix TX5 Max because it is the best of my boxes yet it is the only one which does not work with Miracast.

Or maybe I will buy a USB Type C to HDMI converter and forget about Miracast on Tanix TX5 Max.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
News about Mahua

https://ent.sina.cn/film/chinese/2019-04-29/detail-ihvhiqax5729124.d.html?from=wap

公安部治安管理局局长李京生公布了公安部“2·15”系列专案典型案例:“麻花影视”APP是春节档电影权利人反映最强烈、侵权播放量最大的平台,注册用户100余万人,春节期间春节档电影侵权点击量达526.2万次,且对权利人维权诉求置之不理,影响十分恶劣。公安部部署浙江公安机关迅速查清了“麻花影视”APP犯罪团伙组织架构,指挥开展收网行动,截至目前境内抓获蔡某羿等9名犯罪嫌疑人,境外抓获禹某等8名犯罪嫌疑人。

Last edited:

glenn78

Reaction score
Hi, I’m looking to something that can show tvb anywhere on the big screen..

Can check with you does Mi Box S officially support tvb anywhere +?

Thanks !

For me it is only needed for TVB Anywhere + Mobile screen mirroring and Huawei Wireless Projection.

TVB Anywhere+ TV version works under TX5 Max so the screen mirroring is not necessary now.

I have bought a Ugreen USB Type-C dock to work with my Huawei P20 phone for EMUI desktop mode but it causes the phone to overheat so the experiment failed. The other way is to use Wireless projection which works only with Miracast.

Again not strictly needed because DLNA cast works for my apps like Youku. But it is still good to get Miracast working on Tanix TX5 Max because it is the best of my boxes yet it is the only one which does not work with Miracast.

Or maybe I will buy a USB Type C to HDMI converter and forget about Miracast on Tanix TX5 Max.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.