Back from South island New Zealand

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, Will be traveling to South island for approximately 12.5 days in late Oct to mid Nov this year. Will be arriving and departing from ChristChurch.

Have browsed through some of the websites/blogs and Identified some of the POIs that I would like to go. Need advice if I should drop any, or if I'm missing out on any must-see while in South Island:

Tekapo: Church of Good Shepherd, Mt John Observatory

Mount Cook: Peter's Lookout, High Country Salmon, Hooker Valley Track

Wanaka: #ThatWanakaTree, Roy's Peak

Te Anau: Milford Sounds, Doubtful Sounds

Dunedin: Baldwin Street, Moeraki Boulders Beach, Nugget Point Lighthouse, Elephant Rocks

Queenstown: Skyline Queenstown, Fergburger
How abt fox glacier and FJG?

Most ppl will just choose milford sound instead of doubtful sound. Mainly coz it is time consuming and expensive to do doubtful sound. But if u have the time, and willing to spend, do both.
I did both, and the only regret I had is not doing the overnight cruise at doubtful sound

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, Will be traveling to South island for approximately 12.5 days in late Oct to mid Nov this year. Will be arriving and departing from ChristChurch.

Have browsed through some of the websites/blogs and Identified some of the POIs that I would like to go. Need advice if I should drop any, or if I'm missing out on any must-see while in South Island:

stay 1 night

stay 1 night

stay 1 night

only tried MS before, drove there once but stayed over te anau for 1 night 1st
the 2nd time i was there, we decided to take a bus instead from queenstown. save petrol, energy and save 1 night in te anau since with the bus you can settle MS in 1 day

Dunedin: Baldwin Street, Moeraki Boulders Beach, Nugget Point Lighthouse, Elephant Rocks
never been there, i personally wont bother to go there since i'm the mountain/hiking type...

stay 1 night

my comments in red :o
i indicated how many nights you need based on the activity you listed, u can tell us what "type" of traveller u r so we can suggest things to add/remove :o

Last edited:

hawkwind

Master Member
Reaction score

Dunedin - If you have time, spend a full afternoon exploring the Otago Peninsula by car. Some wild beaches and inlets and there's an albatross centre (paid) if you like birds but there is a free cliff walkway to see them also. A small castle (nothing great) but some nice restaurants along the north coastline.

Queenstown - Queenstown Hill I think has the best views for the amount of effort required and higher than Bob's Peak. Drive the scenic road to Glenorchy. Visit nearby Arrowtown, one of the more memorable towns in NZ. Take the gondola up and have lunch or dinner. Food is not great but great view to eat along with. Ask for table with a view.

Nugget Point is very nice but a bit out of the way unless you head for Invercargill from Dunedin.

MoneyHoney

Master Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys...

I was gonna pick Fox Glacier or Abel Tasman...not sure which is better...

Have people telling me DS > MS debate... but MS seems like a cannot-miss...like wanaka tree or church of GS...

im rather keen on the short half-day hikes...based on my experience with tasmania, my group will like these types of hikes at FNP or Mt Cook...maybe even Abel Tasman NP?

mata_hippo

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
abel tasman is kind of far from the rest even tho it's on the south...

i think u wont be able to appreciate AT if u r jus spending a day activity there like i did. we took a boat to the first bay area then walk back. kind of boring cuz we were surrounded by bushes most of the time.

other day hike options in wanaka area include rocky mtn and isthmus peak. rocky mtn will be shorter.

queenstown can consider ben lomond.

can also do a day drive to glenorchy from queenstown, go there chill. the drive to glenorchy is quite nice.

Arthur's pass can try temple basin trail

at mt cook, u can also consider sealy tarns trail, can get a good view of the hooker valley n mt cook itself, unobstructed!

Posted from PCWX using VOG-L29

GeraldineT

Reaction score
I’m in nz now. I just did extreme fox glacier today and heli hike Franz Josef yesterday. Those who are thinking of which. I would highly recommend the extreme fox. U get more time and pace compare to the heli bike in Franz Josef. It’s more natural in fox than Franz.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys...

I was gonna pick Fox Glacier or Abel Tasman...not sure which is better...

Have people telling me DS > MS debate... but MS seems like a cannot-miss...like wanaka tree or church of GS...

im rather keen on the short half-day hikes...based on my experience with tasmania, my group will like these types of hikes at FNP or Mt Cook...maybe even Abel Tasman NP?
Doubtful sounds and milford sound both have their own unique charm. Can't really say which is better.

If u are interested in short hikes, u can consider Mt Iron in wanaka, Mt John in tekapo, and hooker Valley in Mt cook

Musicbike

Reaction score
I’m in nz now. I just did extreme fox glacier today and heli hike Franz Josef yesterday. Those who are thinking of which. I would highly recommend the extreme fox. U get more time and pace compare to the heli bike in Franz Josef. It’s more natural in fox than Franz.

Hi. Which motel/hotel u stay? Are you recommending it?

Musicbike

Reaction score

Hi. Would like to check if it is too long to stay at Franz joseph for 4D3N.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seems long, but really depends on wat u plan to do there.
There are many hiking trails in the area. and can also go heli hike, which will take ard half a day. Fox glacier is just 30min from FJG, and u can hike to the glacier. There is also lake Matheson near fox glacier.

Pk0601

Reaction score
It really depends. Because weather in that area is very unpredictable. Many travellers end up having to forego their activities (helihikes/skydive, etc) when they stay for just 1 or 2 night because it tends to rain a lot there. But if u are lucky with good weather, 2 nights should suffice

You can also go for short hikes nearby at okarito trig walk (the view from there facing the snow mountains are really beautiful) or lake mapourika is also a nice lake with very clear reflections (on a good weather day).

Search for hikes around franz josef/fox glaciers, there's plenty of short to long hikes around

MoneyHoney

Master Member
Reaction score
Hope I can raise another question!

May I know where would be the best spots for star-gazing? I'm quite curious to know, if this is similar to chasing northern lights i.e. do we have to book a tour to do star-gazing? Or it could be as easy as looking outside our airbnb apartment? or going to a nearby beach?

MoneyHoney

Master Member
Reaction score
another question would be...how do we access FG or FJG from Christchurch/Queenstown/Tekapo?

would it be easier to travel to FG/FJG from Christchurch (maybe take TranzAlpine train to Greymouth then drive from there?) or from Queenstown/Wanaka?

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hope I can raise another question!

May I know where would be the best spots for star-gazing? I'm quite curious to know, if this is similar to chasing northern lights i.e. do we have to book a tour to do star-gazing? Or it could be as easy as looking outside our airbnb apartment? or going to a nearby beach?
Most well known spot for stargazing shld be lake tekapo. At the area in front of the church.
But I guess anywhere that is dark enuf will do. Outside airbnb probably not so good due to light pollution from the airbnb and surrounding buildings.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
another question would be...how do we access FG or FJG from Christchurch/Queenstown/Tekapo?

would it be easier to travel to FG/FJG from Christchurch (maybe take TranzAlpine train to Greymouth then drive from there?) or from Queenstown/Wanaka?
From chirstchurch via Arthur's pass is probably a bit nearer than from Queenstown.
Maybe check the distance using Google maps

MoneyHoney

Master Member
Reaction score
Most well known spot for stargazing shld be lake tekapo. At the area in front of the church.
But I guess anywhere that is dark enuf will do. Outside airbnb probably not so good due to light pollution from the airbnb and surrounding buildings.

ok... so joining the tours at mount john observatory wont be necessary i suppose? hoping to save a few bucks here and there...

From chirstchurch via Arthur's pass is probably a bit nearer than from Queenstown.
Maybe check the distance using Google maps

Ic....no wonder I can see why people are not so keen to do the Dunedin loop...since almost everyone will do the FG/FJG loop instead...

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok... so joining the tours at mount john observatory wont be necessary i suppose? hoping to save a few bucks here and there...

Ic....no wonder I can see why people are not so keen to do the Dunedin loop...since almost everyone will do the FG/FJG loop instead...
I didn't join the observatory tour, so dunno if it is worth. But definitely can see stars even without the tour

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.