The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

nethdale

Reaction score
Went down to my favourite JP optician and she recommended Lindberg frames as they can customise everything from frame, bridge, temple, color, etc. But I saw the gold frame costs more than 8k without lenses. Also their titanium range costs $700 excluding lenses too. Any thoughts?

For the customisation part, it seems interesting. To share my personal experience of using Lindberg, I have 2 pairs of titanium range which in fact both of them commissioned at JP(=Jamco??) except for the 2nd pair was only the progressive lens. Personally, I like Lindberg for its design ie w/o any screws and nuts, its light weight and "simple and clean" design. For its price point, it is very individual. Until today, I still cannot convince myself to hoot its horn series which I understand Lindberg had increased its price.:s13:

Reaction score
I'm very satisfied with my tokai 1.76 go lens and planning to make another pair. Do the industry insiders here know if the tokai 1.76 cvf is now available locally?

Hi Bro,

Tokai 1.76 Aspheric & Bi-Aspheric are both available locally. If your degree is not very high, i suggest going for just 1.76 Aspheric will do. :s13:

libratiger74

Reaction score
Hi, any recommendations for rimless frames that does not slip off easily? Have tried a few: oakley (rubber still slips when I sweat), Silhouette (found it too thin, didn't like to ear hook).

TIA.

Reaction score
Hi, any recommendations for rimless frames that does not slip off easily? Have tried a few: oakley (rubber still slips when I sweat), Silhouette (found it too thin, didn't like to ear hook).

TIA.

🤔IMHO all spectacles tends to slip off when there's perspiration. Especially so with rimless wrap-around frames since we want minimal pressure on the lens-hinge attachment. Tag Heuer used to be pretty good but the local agent went bust. 🤭

evokiller

Reaction score
Sorry ah don't think I got an answer yet but what's the best range of zeiss lens I can get for short sightedness + astig. And what is one tier down from the top?
Single vision? Or?

Sent from Samsung SM-G975F using GAGT

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Sorry ah don't think I got an answer yet but what's the best range of zeiss lens I can get for short sightedness + astig. And what is one tier down from the top?
Single vision? Or?

Sent from Samsung SM-G975F using GAGT

The best Zeiss Single Vision lens would be the Single Vision Individual lens
And the next tier down would be the Single Vision Superb Asiana.

Both as stated are Single Vision and has the ''better clarity'' among most lens brands.

Hour9862

Reaction score
Just brought a Oliver people titanium frame last month. This is my first time with thin temple. I have a issue that the frame will slip down once my face become oily. When for adjustment once and recently adjust my own but not really solve the problem. Still slip but not that much.

My question is this kind of slipping issue is fixable through adjustment? :(:(:(

The frame I purchased
ov1240td 5291 coffey - google first result as I can't put image and link :(

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Just brought a Oliver people titanium frame last month. This is my first time with thin temple. I have a issue that the frame will slip down once my face become oily. When for adjustment once and recently adjust my own but not really solve the problem. Still slip but not that much.

My question is this kind of slipping issue is fixable through adjustment? :(:(:(

The frame I purchased

Is the nosepad metal ones? or silicone ones?

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score

The frame I purchased

Most glasses will be like that.
i can tell you even with silicon nosepads, the oil on your face will always make that area slippery for the glasses. constant changing of nosepads will help to alleviate the problem slightly. but of course, good adjustment also plays a part.

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

The frame I purchased
Can be adjust.. The temple try to bent and make it hugging yr back of the skull.. I got many frames online for my wife also.. All adjust until swee swee.. One tip is not rely on the hook behind.. Dun bent that too much until causing pain to back of ear.. The aim is to have the 2 temples hugging yr back of skull. And best is they dun touch the area between eyes and ear. Like this is the most comfortable fit

Last edited:

Hour9862

Reaction score
Is the nosepad metal ones? or silicone ones?

Should be hard plastic.

Most glasses will be like that.
i can tell you even with silicon nosepads, the oil on your face will always make that area slippery for the glasses. constant changing of nosepads will help to alleviate the problem slightly. but of course, good adjustment also plays a part.

Sigh.. :( conclusion my oily face is the problem. The slippery is since day 2. I think the thin temple also cannot hook nicely.:( which type of nose pad holds better?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Should be hard plastic.

Sigh.. :( conclusion my oily face is the problem. The slippery is since day 2. I think the thin temple also cannot hook nicely.:( which type of nose pad holds better?

Go for Air Nosepad, should solve your issue. Usually use this to resolve the problem!

SNAG

Master Member
Reaction score
Adding on to this post,

Basically why are there 2 options like these, Individuals who feels that the light emitted from the screens are too bright, can go with lenses that reflects blue light e.g. hoya(blue control)/zeiss(blue protect)/essilor(prevencia). It has a yellowish hue that gives the user a more ''warm'' feel and reduces the glare.

Compared to lenses e.g. shamir blue zero, tokai lutina, asahi lite or kodak uv uvblue, these lenses are designed to absorb(not reflect) ''higher'' percentage of blue light . Instead of reflecting which leads to the lenses not giving the ''yellowish hue'', certain individuals ''might'' feel the glare still to be present.

Pros/Cons(P/C)
Blue light reflect
More reflection when taking photo (C)
Reduced glare when looking at screen (P)
Has a warm yellowish hue (subjective to individual and job usage)

Blue light absorb

Less reflection when taking photo(P)
Glare slightly reduced(P/Subjective)
Slight, to no yellowish hue(brand)(P to some C to some)

So in conclusion, you have to choose/ be recommended something that fits your lifestyle. Factors such as Too glaring,Aesthetics,Hours spent in bright/dim environment does play a part in affecting the choice.

Hope you have a better insight after these sharing by us.

Hello all,

Would like to seek help on this topic. I have always been a Zeiss lens user. Recently visited my regular optician to get a new pair of specs, as my previous one got damaged.

I went for Zeiss Single Vision Individual 1.6 with no BlueProtect. My degrees as follow: R -125 Astig -75, L -325 Astig -125.

When I picked up my specs for the first time, I noticed there was a noticeable and significant yellow tinge to the lenses. As I work in an industry that requires absolute colour accuracy and true colour, I couldn't have any yellow tinge to my lens. The optician was helpful and help me remake the specs as there could be a mistake with BlueProtect added to it.

The specs came back for a second time and still, there was the same yellow tinge to the lenses. The optician then explains to me that due to the UV protection Zeiss employed (400 and above), they no longer make clear lenses. I would like to find out from the experienced folks here if this is really the case?

If Zeiss no longer make lenses without a yellow tinge, what other brands of lenses would you recommend? Superb clarity and durability are my top priorities. I pair the lenses with a frameless frame.

Many thanks for reading and helping in advance!

Hi all,

Need some advice on lenses. I’m currently using Zeiss 1.67 Single Vision Superb + Duravision BlueProtect + iScription. Glasses have been in use for around 4 years, and looking to replace.

Read with interest that there are now blue-light blocking lenses which do not have a yellowish hue. I’m an amateur photographer and colour accuracy is ideal (although not critical). Also read that the Zeiss lenses (even without Bluprotect) now have a yellow tinge.

Lastly, wanted to get your feedback on whether iScription is worth the cost. My current pair of glasses is definitely clearer, but not sure if it’s the freeform lenses, or iScription.

Given the following, not sure if the pros could recommend a couple of lense options? It’s been a while, so wanted to get myself updated.

My RX:
L: SPH -5.00, CYL -1.50, Axis 173
R: SPH -5.00, CYL -1.50, Axis 177

Thanks!

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Need some advice on lenses. I’m currently using Zeiss 1.67 Single Vision Superb + Duravision BlueProtect + iScription. Glasses have been in use for around 4 years, and looking to replace.

Read with interest that there are now blue-light blocking lenses which do not have a yellowish hue. I’m an amateur photographer and colour accuracy is ideal (although not critical). Also read that the Zeiss lenses (even without Bluprotect) now have a yellow tinge.

Lastly, wanted to get your feedback on whether iScription is worth the cost. My current pair of glasses is definitely clearer, but not sure if it’s the freeform lenses, or iScription.

Given the following, not sure if the pros could recommend a couple of lense options? It’s been a while, so wanted to get myself updated.

My RX:
L: SPH -5.00, CYL -1.50, Axis 173
R: SPH -5.00, CYL -1.50, Axis 177

Thanks!

I'm using Nikon lenses myself. The lenses you are using are of the highest tier.
Iscription makes it very customisable to your frame but whether or not it is worth it varies between individuals. I have customers saying it doesn't do much, i also have those who say it makes a difference. The top up isn't THAT much..

For Nikon lenses, Seemax Infinite 1.67 with blue control. (Personal preference if you like really clear lenses without the yellowing .. BUT it has a slight blue coating but not very obvious to me at least)

Shamir smart SV could be an alternative as well.

These are my personal opinion and might vary between individuals :)

Last edited:

kitsura

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For the customisation part, it seems interesting. To share my personal experience of using Lindberg, I have 2 pairs of titanium range which in fact both of them commissioned at JP(=Jamco??) except for the 2nd pair was only the progressive lens. Personally, I like Lindberg for its design ie w/o any screws and nuts, its light weight and "simple and clean" design. For its price point, it is very individual. Until today, I still cannot convince myself to hoot its horn series which I understand Lindberg had increased its price.:s13:
JP = Japanese. Not Owndays for sure since i doubt they do such expensive customised frame and lenses.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.