[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fi5hbone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using Synology NASes since 214. Currently running DS218 as my main NAS, DS216 as a mirrored backup for the DS218. DS216 only wake up at 2am to do what it is configured to do, then go back to sleep at 6am.

Wah what data you have that even RAID not good enough?

AwfullySmart

Reaction score
RAID is not backup - it doesn't guard against file corruption, human errors, catastrophic failure, software bugs, virus/malware, etc,..

kelhot2001

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RAID is not backup - it doesn't guard against file corruption, human errors, catastrophic failure, software bugs, virus/malware, etc,..

I learn it the hard way, my system run on 4 HDD, but the motherboard failed
Now, all gone. How do I prevent such incident again, mirror plus backup?

kelhot2001

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mirror or not doesnt matter, what matters most is backup

Did an impromptu backup when the system was giving warning that the mirroring hdd fail and thr 3rd and 4th HDD cannot be detected. Now they did a 1 to 1 exchange, understand everytuing is gone

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I learn it the hard way, my system run on 4 HDD, but the motherboard failed
Now, all gone. How do I prevent such incident again, mirror plus backup?

you can always buy another Synology 4-Bay NAS and slot in the same sequence without data loss.

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
so must buy at diff places???

my last issue is not hdd but from Synology os.
it just cant read the hdd and got alert say hdd fail. After repair (format), the hdd is actually fine.

Is normal for same batch to die at the same time.

AwfullySmart

Reaction score
RAID rebuild depends on the RAID type - most people would configure only for 1-disk redundancy (failure) to maximize the usable storage, so if you have more than the disk failure tolerance allowed, you are out of luck.

If you cannot afford data loss; please consider having another backup.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so must buy at diff places???...........

No, heng sway situation. Both batches of 4pcs Toshiba HDD got from Tradepac. First batch sold w/o issue and second batch still running in my ds418.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so must buy at diff places???

the best approach is as above. However how many of you practice that? Unlikely ba.

at the end of the day you can always ride on luck like some of them here. However i don't take my chances.

DesertStrike

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If i have a hdd that has things inside, can i add it to my nas as a separate volume without having to clean format the disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.