AMD Ryzen NB Discussion| Lenovo Thinkpad E495/E595/T495/X395 Well-rounder performance CPU + GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
3) Improved battery life (From 12nm process & possibly better optimised firmware/BIOS)

This is questionable. 12nm is nothing but a tweaked + more matured 14nm. So while it will certainly become more efficient, I suspect the increase in clockspeed over the older chips will nullify the potential improvement to battery life.

gripen

Reaction score
This is questionable. 12nm is nothing but a tweaked + more matured 14nm. So while it will certainly become more efficient, I suspect the increase in clockspeed over the older chips will nullify the potential improvement to battery life.

If we ignore the Boost clockspeeds, base clockspeed increase is minimum, just 100mhz for both 3500U & 3700U.
So I suspect that they focused on maintaining or lowering the power consumption instead.

Also the high idle power consumption may be improved in this iteration via other means such as further platform optimization & hardware bug fixes.
As of now, AMD's 2018 Raven Ridge @14nm is not even on par with Intel 2014 Haswell @22nm in terms of idle power consumption.

AMD has a lot of catching up to do in this aspect of mobile computing.
It's something which Intel has a lot more experience in.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If we ignore the Boost clockspeeds, base clockspeed increase is minimum, just 100mhz for both 3500U & 3700U.
So I suspect that they focused on maintaining or lowering the power consumption instead.

Also the high idle power consumption may be improved in this iteration via other means such as further platform optimization & hardware bug fixes.
As of now, AMD's 2018 Raven Ridge @14nm is not even on par with Intel 2014 Haswell @22nm in terms of idle power consumption.

AMD has a lot of catching up to do in this aspect of mobile computing.
It's something which Intel has a lot more experience in.

Even though I agree, take note that Intel NB chips the onboard graphic
isn't that as fast/powerful as compare with AMD Vega.
If power were to go down than the onboard Vega performance will also be hamper.

These chips are not just CPU but they also have IGP with it on the same die.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those looking at budget laptop, the upcoming Lenovo T495/T495S/X395/X395S will definitely be out of your league.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-pro-lenovo-thinkpad,39283.html

Pricing will be above $1k depending on specs.
AMD Ryzen APU Thinkpad the advantage would be one chip
to rule them all.

Unlike Intel based laptop if you need better graphic than
have to opt for optional Nvidia graphics which cost more.
Downside I think most will agree is that AMD Ryzen APU
battery time isn't that as good with Intel.

Since Ryzen APU packs a powerful CPU and GPU on one die.

rnk888

Reaction score
For those looking at budget laptop, the upcoming Lenovo T495/T495S/X395/X395S will definitely be out of your league.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-pro-lenovo-thinkpad,39283.html

Pricing will be above $1k depending on specs.
AMD Ryzen APU Thinkpad the advantage would be one chip
to rule them all.

Unlike Intel based laptop if you need better graphic than
have to opt for optional Nvidia graphics which cost more.
Downside I think most will agree is that AMD Ryzen APU
battery time isn't that as good with Intel.

Since Ryzen APU packs a powerful CPU and GPU on one die.

Does that mean E595 is a good buy

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
tOKbXHil.png

Should this be more or less the best price around le? I don't mind waiting for any IT show or what, because this will be a backup for work at home.

Sent from Xiaomi POCOPHONE F1 using GAGT

orlengtao

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
let's wait for a proper review on E495. Tempted to get one! Let's see the battery life first

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Am a little tempted to get a x240. Ya I know its freaking old model. Saw online selling refurbished set at around $250 with the usual shop warranty one month. But I have no experience handling preown laptops. I am worried what if the previous owners installed some spyware inside then I use kena...

ogVDuupl.jpg

Coincidentally saw audiohouse posted this. Same x240, selling $369. Tempted if they throw in any promo to reduce further...

gripen

Reaction score
Am a little tempted to get a x240. Ya I know its freaking old model. Saw online selling refurbished set at around $250 with the usual shop warranty one month. But I have no experience handling preown laptops. I am worried what if the previous owners installed some spyware inside then I use kena...

Coincidentally saw audiohouse posted this. Same x240, selling $369. Tempted if they throw in any promo to reduce further...

Do a SSD or HDD Secure Delete, then install new Windows or Linux OS.
X240 is okay, personally I just hate it's clicky Touchpad... the x40 series touchpads are the worst in Thinkpads.

If you are comfortable opening the laptop to do maintenance (changing thermal paste, adding RAM or storage drive), 2nd hand laptops are fine.
Just don't expect good battery life from an old refurnished laptop.

Last edited:

gripen

Reaction score
tOKbXHil.png

Should this be more or less the best price around le? I don't mind waiting for any IT show or what, because this will be a backup for work at home.

Is this with the education discount?
If yes, don't need to consider much, can hoot liao. :s13:

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do a SSD or HDD Secure Delete, then install new Windows or Linux OS.
X240 is okay, personally I just hate it's clicky Touchpad... the x40 series touchpads are the worst in Thinkpads.

If you are comfortable opening the laptop to do maintenance (changing thermal paste, adding RAM or storage drive), 2nd hand laptops are fine.
Just don't expect good battery life from an old refurnished laptop.
Refurbished sets after secure delete, how to install windows again ah??? Paiseh ah, sorry for the noobness...

Because I likely will be streaming videos from YouTube or China websites, internet surfing, sometimes work on words or excel work files nia. Shouldn't be considered heavy-duty bah I suppose?

gripen

Reaction score
Refurbished sets after secure delete, how to install windows again ah??? Paiseh ah, sorry for the noobness...

Because I likely will be streaming videos from YouTube or China websites, internet surfing, sometimes work on words or excel work files nia. Shouldn't be considered heavy-duty bah I suppose?

For me, I use PartedMagic.
https://partedmagic.com/secure-erase/

Usually refurnished sets comes with Windows 7 OEM anyway, so it's good to install a newer OS anyway.
If you plan to use Windows 10, you have to take the OS cost into account as well.
One advantage of an old ThinkPad... Linux compatibility is usually excellent.

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For me, I use PartedMagic.
https://partedmagic.com/secure-erase/

Usually refurnished sets comes with Windows 7 OEM anyway, so it's good to install a newer OS anyway.
If you plan to use Windows 10, you have to take the OS cost into account as well.
One advantage of an old ThinkPad... Linux compatibility is usually excellent.
If the refurbished set is installed with Windows 10 liao. When I do a wipeout, the Windows 10 os automically be there or I have to do some installation work? I reading online says it's quite effortless click, reformat, wait, it will reboot back with the same Windows 10 but clean empty. Because I getting from those SLS shop, the seller claims he can install office 365 foc for me. But if I secure delete, the foc office 365 will be gone also right? :(

gripen

Reaction score
It depends on how through you want it to be.
Reset this PC function in win 10 may be good enough for your purpose.

halocast

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
tOKbXHil.png

what discount is this? can we apply too? :s11:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If the refurbished set is installed with Windows 10 liao. When I do a wipeout, the Windows 10 os automically be there or I have to do some installation work? I reading online says it's quite effortless click, reformat, wait, it will reboot back with the same Windows 10 but clean empty. Because I getting from those SLS shop, the seller claims he can install office 365 foc for me. But if I secure delete, the foc office 365 will be gone also right? :(

To reinstall Windows 10, you just need to download the Windows media creation tool and create a boot disk to perform a clean installation. If the laptop comes with an activated Windows 10 previously, then you do not have to bother about entering any keys.

For FOC Office 365, I suspect it is only a 1 month trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.