Thread: Android TV Box
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 11:45 PM   #1824
gregory_choo
Master Member

4k:
the TV is only 1080p, but movies sometimes come in higher res.
if the player can handle higher res, then don't need to purposely look for 1080p versions to put in this box.

chromecast:
i THINK i was doing it as correctly as i could have. definitely not mirroring.
it worked for some files.

movie in gdrive folder > install LocalCast on phone > access gdrive folder from LocalCast > send to chromcast

It's nice when it worked:
- convenience of streaming,
- fine control over what is in the folder

Would have been ideal. I can easily and remotely "pass" movies / episodes to my parents who are not so savvy with devices / computers.

But even when files worked, sometimes LocalCast would stop indicating that the file is playing.

On another set of videos, the file wouldn't play at all. Not sure if it was codec or because it was multi-audio. I also tried AllCast. Can't remember how it wasn't great.

Since i need to give remote tech support, i think i need something idiotproof.
Your requirements are easily met by a standard android box. No need for chromecast.

I suggest "mibox s".

You need only 2 apps. Es file explorer to read the files from gdrive or usb hdd. Mx player to play the files.

Mibox s comes with a very good bluetooth remote control.

Most of the modern box can read 4k file and down scale to 1080p. But I dont recommend to stream over internet unless you have very good throughput fron the file server to your house. 4k youtube and netflix are ok for 4k due to use of CDN.

Last edited by gregory_choo; 11-05-2019 at 11:51 PM..
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote