Android TV Box

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, the h96 max x 2 came root from box... I wanted to unroot it and run magisk root... I couldnt unroot using magisk.... I want to run bank app which need to be unroot... I couldnt hide the root too... My google store cert is uncertified... Only want is to remove root... By flashing, i can remove the root and install magisk root which can be hide... But i do not know how to flash... but i never done it be... btw what is OTA?

you must be joking, run bank apps on tv box, unbranded somemore.

ysyj48

Reaction score
anyone bought Tanix TX3 max? kodi v17.6 came pre-installed on the box. but it runs vvvv slowly. every time i choose a add-on, it takes very long to go from 1 page to the next. it takes at least 5 pages from the home screen to get to my show, and the waiting time for each page to load is much longer than my mibox 3.

the add-ons i use are ICdrama, exodus redux, Yoda, Exodus. all load slow. and it takes v long to load all the sources after i click an episode (whether its kdrama, hk drama, eng drama, eng movie)

anyway to make kodi run faster? i did not install any other apps on the box coz its still v new. will upgrading kodi to v18 help?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mine is the s912 tap pro. The playstore is old version. Always show not install when trying to update version. Contacted Google and they tell me that my box is not supported by Google. No firmware available for tap pro in the internet. Never got any ota. Never flash before. Can use better than brick it.
Run like tortoise if many apps are installed. I think it is a fake set with cheap hardware. The rom read\write speed test only get below 10Mb/s. Antutu can get 50k.

So the CPU is real, S912 CPU based box usually get around 40-50k Antutu score but they use cheap memory like cheaper DDR3 RAM and cheaper Flash storage.

Lesson learned is to buy more famous branded boxes like Mi Box S or Nvidia Shield TV. Among generic boxes then buy brands like Beelink or Tanix, not as good as Xiaomi but with reasonable quality.

At least do not buy those really unknown boxes like this Tap Pro. Those H96, X96, etc boxes at least have quite some following in the forums like Freaktab.

In fact I spent enough money on Android TV boxes to learn that better to stick to more well known branded boxes. My latest two boxes are from Tanix and the overheating issues of the Tanix TX6 makes me think Tanix may still not be a good brand.

And the fact that Beelink comes out with Beelink GT1-A version and tries to fool Netflix to play 4K Netflix also makes me think lower of the brand now.

Same for Mecool which is said to have tried to mess with Netflix 4K and got banned by Netflix also let me think the brand may not be trusted.

On the other hand, I kind of understand why Mecool and Beelink go to alternative route since it is said the Netflix does not want to work with them.

All in all, I think most people should go for either Mi Box S or Nvidia Shield TV before considering boxes like Beelink GT1 Mini, Tanix TX5 Max and Mecool KM9 Pro.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All in all, I think most people should go for either Mi Box S or Nvidia Shield TV before considering boxes like Beelink GT1 Mini, Tanix TX5 Max and Mecool KM9 Pro.

Of course I understand there is a big gap between Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV. What are the use cases that you want to buy Nvidia Shield TV and not Mi Box S?

1) Nvidia Shield has much faster CPU and GPU than Mi Box S' aging S905X CPU. Its 3GB RAM and 16GB storage are also better than Mi Box S 2GB/8GB configuration. So if you want the best experiences among Android TV boxes and do not mind paying the premium, by all means go to Nvidia Shield TV.

2) If you want to have the best gaming experience among Android TV boxes, go get Nvidia Shield TV. Mi Box S is not a good choice for gaming.

S905X2 boxes like Beelink GT1 Mini and Tanix TX5 Max are also better than Mi Box S in terms of gaming.

3) If you want higher end audio feature like lossless Dolby True HD Audio or Dolby Atmos for local/NAS media playing, get Nvidia Shield TV. It has Gigabit Ethernet and USB 3.0 which also help.

And for local/NAS media playing, the S905X2 boxes are also better than Mi Box S in terms of 4K file processing, Ethernet and USB 3.0.

Mi Box S is okay for this purpose and test shows occasionally frame drop for more demanding 4K file formats.

4) Mvidia has good track record in updating the FW of Shield TV. Xiaomi screwed up initially when upgrading the FW of Mi Box Global version from Android 6 to 8. There are less complaints now. Mi Box S comes with Android 8.1 so it is better.

For Mi Box S, you can use Ugreen USB Hub with Ethernet to help to address the lack of USB ports and Ethernet. It has good WiFi. But if you put Mi Box S far away from router, you may want to add Ethernet.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

When do you want to consider Tanix TX5 Max and Beelink GT1 Mini and not Mi Box S?

1) I will mainly recommend them as secondary boxes in general. For example you already have an Nvidia Shield TV or Mi Box S or Sony Android TV, or you have the Chromecast Ultra, and then you may feel a bit redundant to buy a Mi Box S, since the main advantages of Mi Box S, Netflix 4K and Chromecast function, are already covered by existing device

2) Gaming

3) Local 4k file playing

4) If you do not need Netflix and Chromecast. For example, if your main interests are the Chinese apps.

wlxxiii_

Reaction score
i think i just bricked my H96 pro plus. anyone knows where i can get it repaired? or how much can i sell it for?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone bought Tanix TX3 max? kodi v17.6 came pre-installed on the box. but it runs vvvv slowly. every time i choose a add-on, it takes very long to go from 1 page to the next. it takes at least 5 pages from the home screen to get to my show, and the waiting time for each page to load is much longer than my mibox 3.

the add-ons i use are ICdrama, exodus redux, Yoda, Exodus. all load slow. and it takes v long to load all the sources after i click an episode (whether its kdrama, hk drama, eng drama, eng movie)

anyway to make kodi run faster? i did not install any other apps on the box coz its still v new. will upgrading kodi to v18 help?

It is not normal.

kodi doesn't need high speed box to run, you can run it smoothly even with those low speed dual core box made 8 years ago.

Don't trust those pre-install apps from unbranded box or unknown sellers. Do a factory reset first to clear all apps installed by sellers.

Install kodi from playstore or from the official website.

It should run very fast on tx3 max.

wlxxiii_

Reaction score
i think it's really bricked...tried flashing different versions roms using the usb_burning_tool via a male USB A to male USB A cable

tried burning to a micro sdcard then attempt to get it into recovery mode by pressing the reset button then connect power supply...doesn't work

any other ideas?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think it's really bricked...tried flashing different versions roms using the usb_burning_tool via a male USB A to male USB A cable

tried burning to a micro sdcard then attempt to get it into recovery mode by pressing the reset button then connect power supply...doesn't work

any other ideas?

Buy a new box...

If you can not get into the recovery mode then there is a hardcore method of shoring the flash chip pins to force into recovery mode.

But if you can go into the recovery and tried the Amlogic burning tool or the burning card maker method, then you have exhausted the options.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is not normal.

kodi doesn't need high speed box to run, you can run it smoothly even with those low speed dual core box made 8 years ago.

Don't trust those pre-install apps from unbranded box or unknown sellers. Do a factory reset first to clear all apps installed by sellers.

Install kodi from playstore or from the official website.

It should run very fast on tx3 max.

I agree.

The first thing I do on my Tanix TX5 Max and TX6 is to reset the Kodi app to remove all the add-on and then upgrade to the latest version of Kodi using Google Play Store.

Tanix has put some rubbish add-on and even an convenient app to load their Kodi add-on for Kodi 16/17/18 for the TX5 Max and TX6.

On the other hand, I do not use Kodi myself other than trying a few official add-ons like the Simple IPTV client.

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

any other ideas?

you still have chance to recover if the box is recognize by PC when connected by USB.

the problem is where to find the right firmware. Not all no brand boxes are the same, even they shared the same name.

next time buy a box with brand name and model no, make sure that the box has a support site with firmware.

ysyj48

Reaction score
I agree.

The first thing I do on my Tanix TX5 Max and TX6 is to reset the Kodi app to remove all the add-on and then upgrade to the latest version of Kodi using Google Play Store.

Tanix has put some rubbish add-on and even an convenient app to load their Kodi add-on for Kodi 16/17/18 for the TX5 Max and TX6.

On the other hand, I do not use Kodi myself other than trying a few official add-ons like the Simple IPTV client.
Thx xiao fan and Greg for the advice. It worked, I installed the latest kodi from Google play store (guess it overwrote the pre-installed version) and now kodi works pretty fast

I'm also using simple iptv client. Any recommendation where to find m3u lists? I usually Google in chinese and just slowly go to individual forums but it's v painful

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thx xiao fan and Greg for the advice. It worked, I installed the latest kodi from Google play store (guess it overwrote the pre-installed version) and now kodi works pretty fast

I'm also using simple iptv client. Any recommendation where to find m3u lists? I usually Google in chinese and just slowly go to individual forums but it's v painful

Unfortunately there is no easy way if you are searching for m3u list. And many of the channels come and go very fast. After all, most of them are just pirate streams.

Depending on your needs you may find it easier to use apps instead of m3u list. For example for mainland live TV channels, there are quite a few legitimate apps like Huawen TV 华文电视and Dian Shi Jia电视家 and Chao Ji Zhibo 超级直播.

For Taiwanese live TV you can download Fain TV from Google Play Store. It is ads supported.

I do not really use the Kodi simple IPTV client myself other than use it as a way to check if the Kodi app works properly on my boxes.

You have to use Google as it is better not to discuss m3u list or other apps here in this forum.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
FYI local Mi Stores like Mi Shop at Bedok, start to sell Mi Box S with one year warranty at S$99 (was S$109 initially). If you want to get it immediately or you value local warranty it is not a bad price.

On the other hand, it is still cheaper to buy from online shops.

https://s.lazada.sg/s.VoYu
FYI, the above Lazada "Xiaomi Global Store", which I think does not belong to Xiaomi but is one of the best online shop to buy Mi Box S, just had a flash sell at S$73. But the sell is now sold out. Before this flash sell it was at S$83.

Shawncck

Reaction score

you must be joking, run bank apps on tv box, unbranded somemore.

Thanks for the advice.... I know what i doing... I am a IT guy too... Now trying to know more in android and i trying to use it to do more things... Want learn flash, root, unroot and macro...

Shawncck

Reaction score
I agree.

Hi Xiaofan, TX5 and TX6 is running on Android OS or android TV OS? And it came rooted out from box?

wlxxiii_

Reaction score
H96 pro should be able to find the FW.... how u bricked it? u flash and fail?

yes....cos after installing a certain app the box hang and upon restarting was stuck at the logo screen

good news is it is still able to be recognised by my pc, but the error msg encountered during flashing doesnt seem common after hours of googling.....

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.