Samsung Galaxy Note 9: Will This Be A Game Changer For Samsung?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, can anyone help me with the Google maps voice navigation with street names? None of mine or my friends devices can speak street names here in Singapore. But when I travel overseas it works just fine without changing any settings. The label under Default English "Speaks street names" disappears when I get back to Singapore. I have checked the devices on demo in StarHub, some of them have this enabled and some don't.

i don't know if its location based, cos never tried navigating overseas. But you might wanna change your text to speech output to google's and see if it works? by default, its set to samsung's.

this issue has been around since 2015, where it started to have regular app updates. Some users mentioned clearing cache, uninstalling updates and reinstalling them works.

You just have to fiddle around with the settings and hopefully google did not disable it in the latest update. or else, use waze? :D

Last edited:

deathst

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, can anyone help me with the Google maps voice navigation with street names? None of mine or my friends devices can speak street names here in Singapore. But when I travel overseas it works just fine without changing any settings. The label under Default English "Speaks street names" disappears when I get back to Singapore. I have checked the devices on demo in StarHub, some of them have this enabled and some don't.

Same for me, the option doesn't exist on the N9 or S9+. Wonder if it's because the street names here aren't easy to pronounce for the bot.

Hmm Google Navigation voice is released for SG very very long ago.

You can give these steps a try:
On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app Google Maps.
Start navigation.
In the top right, you should see Sound icon. If you don’t see it, tap Mute Mute Icon and then Sound Icon. Google Maps should start talking.

Sometimes voice directions aren’t downloaded or need to be updated on your phone or tablet. When this happens, you’ll hear a chime instead of voice directions.

Make sure you're connected to the Internet. Voice directions will download faster if you have a strong Internet connection.
Get directions.
Use the Google Maps app as you normally would. Voice directions will be downloaded while you have the Maps app open.
When the voice directions are done downloading, you'll hear directions instead of chimes when navigating to a place.

Last edited:

shawniiex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Same for me, the option doesn't exist on the N9 or S9+. Wonder if it's because the street names here aren't easy to pronounce for the bot.

Confirm working, everytime take grab the uncle navigation super loud. LOL.

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Voice navigation works, but I think we are referring to the specific option in the Maps app that reads "Speak street names". It disappears in Singapore.

If you bring your phone overseas, you'll see it in other countries. Just not in Singapore.

geekbrains

Reaction score
i don't know if its location based, cos never tried navigating overseas. But you might wanna change your text to speech output to google's and see if it works? by default, its set to samsung's.

this issue has been around since 2015, where it started to have regular app updates. Some users mentioned clearing cache, uninstalling updates and reinstalling them works.

You just have to fiddle around with the settings and hopefully google did not disable it in the latest update. or else, use waze? :D

I've tried both Samsung's TTS as well as Google's. Nothing works. I've also cleared cache, uninstalled all the updates and even signed up for Beta and got Beta updates. None of them work :(

geekbrains

Reaction score
Hmm Google Navigation voice is released for SG very very long ago.

You can give these steps a try:
On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app Google Maps.
Start navigation.
In the top right, you should see Sound icon. If you don’t see it, tap Mute Mute Icon and then Sound Icon. Google Maps should start talking.

Sometimes voice directions aren’t downloaded or need to be updated on your phone or tablet. When this happens, you’ll hear a chime instead of voice directions.

Make sure you're connected to the Internet. Voice directions will download faster if you have a strong Internet connection.
Get directions.
Use the Google Maps app as you normally would. Voice directions will be downloaded while you have the Maps app open.
When the voice directions are done downloading, you'll hear directions instead of chimes when navigating to a place.

I have all the voice data downloaded already. As I mentioned, it just works fine when I'm overseas. I have tried in the US as well as in India to confirm it works without changing any settings.

geekbrains

Reaction score
Voice navigation works, but I think we are referring to the specific option in the Maps app that reads "Speak street names". It disappears in Singapore.

If you bring your phone overseas, you'll see it in other countries. Just not in Singapore.

Absolutely! I'm not alone as there are many cases if you Google it. But what's surprising is, some phones have this and some don't. I've tried the demo phones in StarHub NEX and none of them have the label "Speaks Street Names" under Default English but the units at the StarHub Plaza Singapura have the label.

Also, I've tried the devices at the Samsung Experience Center and they don't have the label.

deathst

Master Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Google is doing something. The issue with google apps they do A/B testing very very frequently, things changes on the fly on server end.

geekbrains

Reaction score
Not sure whether it's a Google or Samsung issue but neither of them is taking the responsibility to get it working.

kennerv

Master Member
Reaction score
I google-ed and seems like alot are saying the street name function was removed after certain map update. Not sure if it's accurate.

geekbrains

Reaction score

deathst

Master Member
Reaction score
I agree. But try selling that to a lay man. This is a must have feature for most of the people overseas especially in high density traffic exits like in California. It's a user experience issue and it's not some random App that Samsung has to make their devices compatible with excessive efforts.

Tell that to Google. Oh Google confirm makes it works on their own shores one.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.