Back from South island New Zealand

hawkwind

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

Managed to plan a more detailed itinerary after all the queries... not sure if this is doable so wanna seek as much details as possible...

pls click the spoiler to see the full itinerary!

Day 1: Tekapo (4 Nov, Mon)
  • Reach Christchurch airport at 1.30pm, collect rental car and drive to Tekapo
  • Visit COGShepherd
  • Star-gazing at lake tekapo
  • Stay in Tekapo

Day 2: Mt Cook (5 Nov, Tues)
  • Drive to Lake Pukaki
  • Pack lunch at High Country Salmon
  • Hike Hooker Valley track
  • Hike Sealy Tarns track
  • Stay in Twizel

Day 3: Dunedin (6 Nov, Wed)
  • Elephant Rocks
  • Moeraki Beach Boulders
  • Steepest Road
  • Stay at Dunedin

Day 4: Te Anau (7 Nov, Thurs)
  • Nugget Point Lighthouse
  • Drive to Te Anau
  • Visit Lake Mistletoe, Eglinton Valley, Mirror Lake, Knobs Flat, Lake Gunn
  • Stay at Te Anau

Day 5: Fiordlands NPark (8 Nov, Fri)
  • Pop's View Lookout
  • Lake Marian Hike (3 hours)
  • Key Summit Trail at The Divide
  • Stay at Te Anau

Day 6: Milford Sound (9 Nov, Sat)
  • Milford Sound Cruise
  • The Chasm
  • Gertrude Valley Lookout
  • Drive to Queenstown
  • Dinner @ Fergburger
  • Stay at Queenstown

Day 7: Queenstown (10 Nov, Sun)
  • Bob's Cove
  • Skyline Gondola & Luge Rides (buy thru Klook)
  • Dinner @ Fergburger
  • Stay at Queenstown

Day 8: Wanaka (11 Nov, Mon)
  • Drive to Wanaka
  • Wanaka Tree
  • Roy's Peak
  • Stay at Wanaka

Day 9: Franz Josef (12 Nov, Tues)
  • Drive to Lake Matheson
  • Lake Matheson Walk
  • Drive to Franz Josef
  • Stay at Franz Josef

Day 10: Franz Josef (13 Nov, Wed)
  • Franz Josef Heli Hike
  • Drive to Hotitaka
  • Sunset Point at Hotitaka
  • Stay at Hotitaka

Day 11: Hotitaka/Arthurs Pass (14 Nov, Thurs)
  • Hotitaka Gorge
  • Otira Viaduct Lookout
  • Devils Punchbowl
  • Stay at Christchurch

Day 12 & 13: Christchurch (15&16 Nov, Fri&Sat)
  • Nothing planned yet as I'm not sure if there's any places I oughta have spent more days...Maybe Franz Josef for the heli hike? In case of weather conditions....:(
  • My flight on the 16 nov is 2pm flight back...

I think you might be underestimating the drive times between locations. Leave you little time for sightseeing and that's not the best way to enjoy NZ.
At FJ or Fox Glacier, many people do the walk to see the terminal face of the glacier, although it's not that spectacular, the walk itself is probably more compelling than the walk around Lake Matheson, which although nice, is kinda like a walk at MacRitchie but with different vegetation.
If you plan to do multiple hikes along the Milford Area, consider staying a night at Milford Sound itself instead of Te Anau. The lodges there are limited and more expensive but allows you to spend more time hiking.
Christchurch - nothing much to see there, suggest you plan to arrive late afternoon day before departure.

MoneyHoney

Master Member
Reaction score
I think you might be underestimating the drive times between locations. Leave you little time for sightseeing and that's not the best way to enjoy NZ.
At FJ or Fox Glacier, many people do the walk to see the terminal face of the glacier, although it's not that spectacular, the walk itself is probably more compelling than the walk around Lake Matheson, which although nice, is kinda like a walk at MacRitchie but with different vegetation.
If you plan to do multiple hikes along the Milford Area, consider staying a night at Milford Sound itself instead of Te Anau. The lodges there are limited and more expensive but allows you to spend more time hiking.
Christchurch - nothing much to see there, suggest you plan to arrive late afternoon day before departure.

Will take that into considerations.

Lemme work out that route again...

Pk0601

Reaction score
I agree. Although you have listed out many of the attractions, it will definitely be very tiring just driving from one place to another and its gonna drain your energy to fully be able to enjoy your experience much.

And also to note that couple of tracks take at least 2-3 hours to complete for a return trek. Roy's peak at least 5hours.
It is not ideal to have so many activities in just one day as it will be hard to complete or you will only be rushing,which again affects your experience. Perhaps certain places you can stay for 2 nights instead of 1

Last edited:

a1v1n_

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any baby (1yo) friendly plans that anyone aware of for South Island? Thanks in advance.

Sent from me using GAGT

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
rob roy not rly worth it to do i feel

long drive in over lots of gravel road

go through lots of forest

near the end then u start seeing the glacier

im a mountain person, so if i spend most of my time in forest for a trail, i will feel it's not worth it...

if u wanna chill, jus drive around the lake, find nice spots to nua and eat, got nice spots all around the lake/neighbourhood...

IhOewoW.jpg

AvVUd6e.jpg

i jus took a screenshot from my album, it was sometime in july in 2012...

Thank. One of the reasons I skipped Rob Roy is the car I rented is a normal Toyota sedan. Not a 4wD with high clearance. Unfortunately weather in wanaka today is rainy. So can't nua around the lake. Luckily my aim in wanaka was to hike roy peak. So objective meet.

GeraldineT

Reaction score
Thinking of doing Heli Hike with my family including 2 children of 10 and 12 yrs old and my mum and MIL. Is there any specific schedule of this activity ? Any good trail to hike? My 12 yrs old Son wishes to do the sky diving. Is there age limit?

I did the Heli Hike with a guide and tour group
For the one in Franz I think it’s 1 guide to 11 pax
And they are quite rushing that’s why I prefer the fox extreme hiking.
It was 1 guide to 4 pax. There was only 5 in total and we get 2 guides.
But then, this one is Long hiking 6hrs on ice.

My sky diving was in Franz Josef, u have to check with them regarding age limit but I don’t think there is.

keigo22

Reaction score
Any baby (1yo) friendly plans that anyone aware of for South Island? Thanks in advance.

Sent from me using GAGT

can but you will want to buy lot of warm cloth for the baby... warm mean winter cloth...

cause even in summer we are talking about 20 degree or less and sometime if the Southerlies were to hit, dont be surprise you will see snow in summer.

keigo22

Reaction score
I did the Heli Hike with a guide and tour group
For the one in Franz I think it’s 1 guide to 11 pax
And they are quite rushing that’s why I prefer the fox extreme hiking.
It was 1 guide to 4 pax. There was only 5 in total and we get 2 guides.
But then, this one is Long hiking 6hrs on ice.

My sky diving was in Franz Josef, u have to check with them regarding age limit but I don’t think there is.

ya i avoid of the heli unless u r rich... if u want to really experience go for the half day hike more fun.

GeraldineT

Reaction score
ya i avoid of the heli unless u r rich... if u want to really experience go for the half day hike more fun.

It was a good experience.
Overall I prefer fox to Franz.

Doubtful cruise over Milford sound cruise.
(We did overnight for doubtful, there was no overnight for Milford so we only did the normal day trip)

Unfortunately it’s raining now in mount cook so our overnight in the hut trip was cancelled.

Apricot

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I’ll be heading over to South Island in the middle of the winter season. (Not a good idea I know but that’s the only period my partner and I can travel this year)

We’ll be renting a Toyota vitz or similar and staying in Airbnbs since it’s only the 2 of us. This is a draft of the itinerary that i’ve Planned and your feedbacks are most definitely welcome.

Day 0- Depart from Singapore

Day 1- Arrive at Christchurch around noon. Collect car, grocery shop, check in Airbnb

Day 2- Christchurch to Hokitika

Day 3- Hokitika to Franz Joseph

Day 4- Franz Joseph to Wanaka (we are not doing the heli hike)

Day 5- Wanaka (Sky diving, trekking)

Day 6- Wanaka to Cardrona (dog sledding & Skiing)

Day 7- Wanaka to Queenstown

Day 8- Queenstown, day tour to Milford sound

Day 9- Queenstown to Omarama (hot tub)

Day 10- omarama to Mt Cook

Day 11- Mt cook to Tekapo

Day 12- Tekapo to Christchurch

Day 13- depart Christchurch for Singapore

Last edited:

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Isit raining season there now?

Yes. U r right

10 may 1st day arrival at CHC . Fine weather but just collected car and checked in to rest

11 may 2st day ,CHC to hotikita . Foggy awhile and then fine weather

12 may 3rd day hotikita to wanaka. Whole day driving with rain, no stopover to admire the views.

13 may 4th day. Roys peak and mount Iron hike - Sunny and fine weather,

14 May 5th day . Raining in wanaka

15 may 6th day Wanaka to Queenstown, Stopover at arrowtown - intermittent Rain

16 may 7th day Queenstown to Glenorchy - intermittent rain.

So far 4 out of 7 days on my trip got rain..

zaviour

Reaction score
Yes. U r right

10 may 1st day arrival at CHC . Fine weather but just collected car and checked in to rest

11 may 2st day ,CHC to hotikita . Foggy awhile and then fine weather

12 may 3rd day hotikita to wanaka. Whole day driving with rain, no stopover to admire the views.

13 may 4th day. Roys peak and mount Iron hike - Sunny and fine weather,

14 May 5th day . Raining in wanaka

15 may 6th day Wanaka to Queenstown, Stopover at arrowtown - intermittent Rain

16 may 7th day Queenstown to Glenorchy - intermittent rain.

So far 4 out of 7 days on my trip got rain..

your 3rd day from hokitika to wanaka must be a very long drive :s13:

Are you driving again for milford sound? I suggest just take a day tour and have a rest on the bus but if you really like to drive then go ahead but just to take note, the road there not so interesting as the driving you have so far from CC to QT..

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
your 3rd day from hokitika to wanaka must be a very long drive :s13:

Are you driving again for milford sound? I suggest just take a day tour and have a rest on the bus but if you really like to drive then go ahead but just to take note, the road there not so interesting as the driving you have so far from CC to QT..

Yes. Really a long drive! Only make a 20 mins toilet break at fox Glacier, then another 30 mins break at Haast. I have to skip blue pool walk and 2 waterfalls (I always love waterfall) along the way due to the heavy rain. Took almost 6 hours of driving to reach wanaka from Hotikita.

Leaving Queenstown tmr and will be going to Mount cook. Skipping milford sound. I noticed milford sound is very highly recommended over here and yet I was told by 3 friends who visited there recently told me "MS can don't go" lol.

zaviour

Reaction score
Yes. Really a long drive! Only make a 20 mins toilet break at fox Glacier, then another 30 mins break at Haast. I have to skip blue pool walk and 2 waterfalls (I always love waterfall) along the way due to the heavy rain. Took almost 6 hours of driving to reach wanaka from Hotikita.

Leaving Queenstown tmr and will be going to Mount cook. Skipping milford sound. I noticed milford sound is very highly recommended over here and yet I was told by 3 friends who visited there recently told me "MS can don't go" lol.

There is always next trip and maybe become one of the reason to come back again ;)

Going to mount cook are you heading via lindst pass? the drive going up to the mount cook quite nice and finger-cross no rain hahaha, but if there is a rain there is also a chance for rainbow, which we saw at glenorchy previously :s13:

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Yeah. I would say so. Can dont go.
Maybe it depends on the season as well. When I was there around Nov, really not that great.

Maybe now is the season then you should probably go.

Posted from PCWX using Pixel 3

GeraldineT

Reaction score
Yeah. I would say so. Can dont go.
Maybe it depends on the season as well. When I was there around Nov, really not that great.

Maybe now is the season then you should probably go.

Posted from PCWX using Pixel 3

I went to Milford when it was raining (not very heavy) and the view was amazing. Cause u see waterfalls everywhere.
Next day for my cruise it wasn’t raining and the drive out was totally different from it when it was raining.
The drive was Long but good.
But cruise wise doubtful is better

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I went to Milford when it was raining (not very heavy) and the view was amazing. Cause u see waterfalls everywhere.
Next day for my cruise it wasn’t raining and the drive out was totally different from it when it was raining.
The drive was Long but good.
But cruise wise doubtful is better
The saying is the u haven't seen milford sound until u have seen it in the rain.
Unfortunately, when I went, it was not raining :(

The drive to milford is great.. Lots of scenic places to stopover

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah . It wasn't raining when I go too. So miss out all the nice view. Can't see much seals too. Basically the ferry just go one round. Haha.

Posted from PCWX using Nexus 5

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.