Home Automation Enthusiasts

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
chim. i have not started reno yet, so i just ask my electrician to set up neutral wire for me can liao?

Yes, ask them to pull a neutral to each switch cluster.. ie if there 2 switch at a position, u just need 1 neutral from the light then daisy chain to the 2 switch. If there is a neon switch or a powersocket, just daisy chain over. no need to pull from the light

the video vulpix shared mentioned that its better to use a home hub rather than direct wifi to reduce the strain on the routers?

assuming im going with google home and samsung home hub

i just have to look for samsung compatible smart lights, fans, door locks and curtains and proceed to set up?

Hmm samsung is cloud base just so you know. every automation goes to the cloud and back..
so you will need all the devices that are compatible. I recommend buying from amazon UK or any resellers selling the EU freq zwave version. this way u can easily find compatible zwave devices.. If you get the local korean version, it will be harder to find compatible smart devices except for korean brands or from local vendors.

the intercom and air con are standardized brands. are there any ways to allow me to control them from my phone?

For the Fermex intercom, if your unit comes with the mobile app to remote open the gate, u can use that but no way to easily intergrate it to your hub. I am looking at the microbot push but since it cant connect to my hub, I'm still looking around.
When you defect liability period is up, you can wire the fermax to a binary sensor and automate the gate opening.
For Aircon, most likely mitsubishi, this one no way to automate other than using an IR blaster that is samsung compatible but you will have no way to know if the aircon is on or not.
Another better option is the Ambi climate. It's better than sensibo in that sense that it can pick up if someone change setting via the remote..

sorry for the questions if they sound dumb cos im totally new to this.

thanks!

See response above

Last edited:

pustefix

Reaction score
assuming im going with google home and samsung home hub

i just have to look for samsung compatible smart lights, fans, door locks and curtains and proceed to set up?

I think you are on the right track. Basically the first step is to choose a hub. How much you are willing to tinker and how complex your automation rules are will determine what type of hub you will be using. On the one end there are Home Assistant and OpenHab, very complex but also the most powerful and most device compatibility. On the other end, you can choose single company hub e.g. Xiaomi Aqara hub, Broadlink RM pro, Ikea hub, etc. These will only work with devices from the same company and automation rules are basic only. In the middle are hubs like Homey, Hubitat, SmartThings, etc. These work with a lot of devices but automation rules are less complex than HA or OpenHab.

Deciding on the hub to used will limit the devices that you can use, so if you have chosen SmartThings, just look for devices that are compatible with SmartThings. Please also note that Google home and Alexa are not actually hub, they are smart speakers, they don't help you to integrate devices from different company or help you to set automation rules other than scheduled.

zoneguard

Reaction score
I am looking at the microbot push but since it cant connect to my hub, I'm still looking around.
Sidetracking:
You use Homey? Homey can talk HTTP?
Docker image: https://github.com/VRGhost/PyPush

I used Switchbot and for some reason, couldn't use the native HA component for it and hacked together from some Japanese's IOT code that uses MQTT to integrate the Switchbot to other things. For example, a quick google yielded https://github.com/kahiroka/microbot.

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
Sidetracking:

I used Switchbot and for some reason, couldn't use the native HA component for it and hacked together from some Japanese's IOT code that uses MQTT to integrate the Switchbot to other things. For example, a quick google yielded https://github.com/kahiroka/microbot.

Yes using Homey, homey can talk http, using it to poll APIs.
I actually am using node red to poll too with a raspi but stopped since I'm lazy to touch HA.. but node red is still so much easier.. not using any computers at home since I make it a point not to work from home so I haven't played with it much. one reason I prefer homey is the ease of configuring without a need for a computer. just a tablet will do.

maybe time to break out my raspberry from storage and try again..

gheesung

Reaction score
You can use this to control your switch bot. I am using it to control 2 switch bots.

https://github.com/zewelor/bt-mqtt-gateway

Sidetracking:

Luc777

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions. very informative and helpful!

will try to get started this weekend and hope it goes smoothly. :)

Vulpix

Reaction score
Yes using Homey, homey can talk http, using it to poll APIs.
I actually am using node red to poll too with a raspi but stopped since I'm lazy to touch HA.. but node red is still so much easier.. not using any computers at home since I make it a point not to work from home so I haven't played with it much. one reason I prefer homey is the ease of configuring without a need for a computer. just a tablet will do.

maybe time to break out my raspberry from storage and try again..

I'm still deciding whether I want a Hubitat or Homey.

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm still deciding whether I want a Hubitat or Homey.

If u have RF devices like ceiling fans then consider how you want to bridge it. else I believe it's up to interface. Are you the only user and how easy it is for other members in the household.

Trouble for Alexa users like me

How about having both google assistant and alexa? I use both as each still have their shortcomings..

Last edited:

pustefix

Reaction score
else I believe it's up to interface. Are you the only user and how easy it is for other members in the household.

The interface is for you only. If it is setup correctly, other users will not have to touch the interface at all. Either it is automated; motion triggered light, or using voice remote; "XXX, turn on light" or using actual switch.

233mmx

Reaction score
How about having both google assistant and alexa? I use both as each still have their shortcomings..

My HA setup with AA was well before GH and the other open source ecosystems were even available. I can see GH trying to go down the path of exclusivity like Apple with their HK. The end result is less options for users and prices will go up accordingly.

I can see myself probably going down the open source route in future, but not to a closed system.

gheesung

Reaction score
A quick search will provide you with many voice assistant software in github. If privacy is not your main concern, why re-invent the wheel.

Google provides the Dialog Flow framework to build interactive and customised assistant.

Are there any open system for smart speaker?

tian800

Reaction score
For the neutral wire, what is the correct size to pull? 2.5mm.sq?

Does the electrician need to calculate the load of that circuit to prevent overloading of neutral wire?

singcheng

Reaction score
For the neutral wire, what is the correct size to pull? 2.5mm.sq?

Does the electrician need to calculate the load of that circuit to prevent overloading of neutral wire?

No need, i use those normal wire (soft).
Your existing wires inside the wall should be those four strands hard copper wire.

Posted from PCWX using phone.
Creator of OEM Comparison Chart & Plan Calculator.
Ohm user since April 2018.

zoneguard

Reaction score
It was widely reported that Google Assistant added Simplified Chinese/Mandarin support to mobile phones (Android 1st and iPhone later) in middle May this year.

Today I managed to add Simplified Chinese under Google Home app and was pleasantly surprised my Google Home Mini responded to all the test cases mentioned in this article.
Apparently this is in beta for smart speakers (couldn't find any link of the beta release) and not yet released for smart display - it doesn't work for my Lenovo Smart Display.

I was also able to issue HA commands in Mandarin to control the lights/routines etc.

Wondering if anybody else has this language option enabled in their Google Home app?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.