Starhub router Linksys EA8100-AH Max-Stream AC2600

squarepipe

Reaction score
Linksys “smartwifi” routers are a disaster regarding security.

https://badpackets.net/over-25000-l...ble-to-sensitive-information-disclosure-flaw/

Sure, all brands suffer from security issues at one point or another, the question is how they deal with it. Linksys is pretty much setting the standard in getting it wrong.

Wow basically the mac address of every device connected along with the device name, OS, model along with WAN settings, firewall status, firmware update settings, and DDNS settings are leaked...

RIP to the privacy & security of every one who own or connected to a Linksys router :s22:

^Tripper^

Reaction score
Wow basically the mac address of every device connected along with the device name, OS, model along with WAN settings, firewall status, firmware update settings, and DDNS settings are leaked...

RIP to the privacy & security of every one who own or connected to a Linksys router :s22:

Exactly. Linksys “smartwifi” firmware is a disaster.

ferocity

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any updates regarding slow speeds on this router? I converted from starhub cable to fibre and was issued this router. New 1gb plan came into activation yesterday.

Tested the wifi speeds and its really bad. Standing right in front of the router, on my smartphone Oneplus 5t, i am getting around 500mbps on 5ghz wifi. My PC is in my bed room which is around 7-8 meters away from the router in the living room. No direct line of sight with concrete wall in between. I am using a tplink ac1900 usb wifi adapter and i am only getting around 270mbps max on 5ghz wifi. Connection has been stable but I dont believe the speeds should be this low even with the distance and concrete wall?

Sidenote, terrible service rendered by the starhub technicians who came to do the installation. They installed the fibre tv box and broadband ont/router but ran off even before i could do any testing. Would had gotten them to do checks on the slow wifi speed if i had a chance to run a speed test in front of them.

Last edited:

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any updates regarding slow speeds on this router? I converted from starhub cable to fibre and was issued this router. New 1gb plan came into activation yesterday.

Tested the wifi speeds and its really bad. Standing right in front of the router, on my smartphone Oneplus 5t, i am getting around 500mbps on 5ghz wifi. My PC is in my bed room which is around 7-8 meters away from the router in the living room. No direct line of sight with concrete wall in between. I am using a tplink ac1900 usb wifi adapter and i am only getting around 270mbps max on 5ghz wifi. Connection has been stable but I dont believe the speeds should be this low even with the distance and concrete wall?

Your speeds considered fast alr for this router Lol. My friend only can hit 100mbps.

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

squarepipe

Reaction score
He cannot take it, he WhatsApp me what’s happening as he just sub to Starhub. I saw the router, I asked him to change to the asus one that I’m using, at the same spot. His wifi speed jumped from 100+ to 500+mbps. Lol really is Cui the router

From my experience Asus router only good for house with few WiFi device connected. Once you start adding more and more clients, the router lags like no tomorrow.

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From my experience Asus router only good for house with few WiFi device connected. Once you start adding more and more clients, the router lags like no tomorrow.

Not really true, my ac86u, I connect around 15 devices. Some ppl Netflix while I play Dota 2 using wifi, 4ms ping only. No lag. This is of course from my own experience. YMMV.

squarepipe

Reaction score
Not really true, my ac86u, I connect around 15 devices. Some ppl Netflix while I play Dota 2 using wifi, 4ms ping only. No lag. This is of course from my own experience. YMMV.

Chey 15 device only. Previously at my relative house they used a Asus GT ac5300 with around 50+ WiFi clients connected. When they upgrade to gigabit internet the router running as access point can't keep up. Swap to a ubiquiti hd ap and it was smooth sailing.

David Lai

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try this. (I'm not a Singtel subscriber, hence not sure this will work or not)
If you are using Singtel just for their Internet service and you have no VOIP or IPTV, there is a small bug with Singtel (other) VLAN tag. When you choose that pre-defined VLAN tag, it will tag your 4th LAN port with 20 (which should not be the case) and you will not be able to use the 4th port for LAN. I have already reported this bug to Linksys.

A workaround is to choose Manual VLAN Tag and tag the Internet port to 10 as shown in the screenshot below.
16473292780_e597396419_c.jpg

Source : Linksys EA9200 Wireless AC3200 Tri-Band Smart Wi-Fi Router Review « Blog | lesterchan.net

Hey uncle, thanks!
Thats exactly what i did in order to use both ports 3 & 4.
Been using for quite a while but wasnt too sure if it may cause any problem.
Never knew they have such a guide, lol.

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Chey 15 device only. Previously at my relative house they used a Asus GT ac5300 with around 50+ WiFi clients connected. When they upgrade to gigabit internet the router running as access point can't keep up. Swap to a ubiquiti hd ap and it was smooth sailing.

Home use you need how many devices. Mine is the more realistic scenario. How many ppl house have 50 wifi clients. :s22:

squarepipe

Reaction score
Home use you need how many devices. Mine is the more realistic scenario. How many ppl house have 50 wifi clients. :s22:

Because there are 14 people in the house :)

And that was some time ago. Last I heard they bought a bunch of Google home minis, smart WiFi plug, smart lights etc.

My relative and my mom share a single gigabit internet connection between their house via a WiFi ptp bridge. In between them got around 20 people :s13:

uncle_josh

Reaction score
Hey uncle, thanks!
Thats exactly what i did in order to use both ports 3 & 4.
Been using for quite a while but wasnt too sure if it may cause any problem.
Never knew they have such a guide, lol.

Glad that you got it working.
Lester Chan is the originator .
You should thank him for this effort. Haha........

tuntun

Reaction score
Any new info if ONR is a new Nokia by Singtel? Use same VLAN tagging no and setting? Thanks

tuntun

Reaction score
No need vlan for ONR users, for ONR you set the EA8100 in AP mode to avoid double NAT.

ok noted, so if it comes with ONT config( Nokia modem--->SingTel Router) then I can replace with EA8100 in SingTEl router place with VLAN tagging settings? Am I right? Thanks

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok noted, so if it comes with ONT config( Nokia modem--->SingTel Router) then I can replace with EA8100 in SingTEl router place with VLAN tagging settings? Am I right? Thanks

I do not think SingTel will configure the Nokia ONR in ONT mode for you. So no need to worry about that. For ONR users, the SingTel AC Plus wireless router will automatically run in AP mode. You can replace AC Plus with any other AP.

For ONT users, then yes you need to use vlan tagging, you can replace SingTel AC Plus wireless router with Vlan enabled router, like the EA8100 using the SingTel vlan profile.

tuntun

Reaction score
I do not think SingTel will configure the Nokia ONR in ONT mode for you. So no need to worry about that. For ONR users, the SingTel AC Plus wireless router will automatically run in AP mode. You can replace AC Plus with any other AP.

For ONT users, then yes you need to use vlan tagging, you can replace SingTel AC Plus wireless router with Vlan enabled router, like the EA8100 using the SingTel vlan profile.

Thanks for your info..will try out soon..

weeza77

Reaction score
These past few days, I've faced difficulty in logging in to my router using both the app and browser using the Linksys account.
Logging in direct to router is impossible.

Even when managed to log in, some options will not load properly hence unable to configure properly. I have reset once and the problem still persists. Any ideas how to solve this?

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
These past few days, I've faced difficulty in logging in to my router using both the app and browser using the Linksys account.
Logging in direct to router is impossible.

Even when managed to log in, some options will not load properly hence unable to configure properly. I have reset once and the problem still persists. Any ideas how to solve this?

Do you know how to check ip address of your router?
Usually by default ip address should 192.168.X.X.
If your router ip address is other than this as well as having
issues than probably your router need to service.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.