Android TV Box

mankind66

Reaction score
It is better to get official Android TV device like Mi Box S to have official support of Google Assistant, Chromecast and YouTube 4K.

Some generic boxes are said to support Google Assistant as well but the experience may not be as good.

Eg: Beelink GT1 Mini which comes with a USB Wireless Remote claims support of voice assistant. But the implementation may have problems.

Ref:
http://www.bee-link.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=45702

No point buying a new tv box to get the microphone to work.
Just want to find out what additional apps needed to get it to work.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No point buying a new tv box to get the microphone to work.
Just want to find out what additional apps needed to get it to work.

Yes it is true that there is no point to buy a new box if you are just playing with the voice assistant app.

Personally I never really feel the need to use either Google Assistant or Apple Siri, other than trying it out to see how good or how silly the voice assistant is.

I have a Google Home Mini as well which is now collecting dust.

What is your box? I will suggest you to buy a voice enabled remote (USB or Bluetooth) to see if that works, if you are keen to try.

Additional app will not help in this case, additional hardware might help (but no guarantee).

tek888

Reaction score
If you are using digital tuner of the tv, you need antenna.

But, if you are not using digital tuner, and use the tv with the android box, you don't need antenna. With the right apps, android box can give you all local channels, malaysia channel, indo channels, usa channels and many others.

Hi,

sorry to bring up an old post as I am just reading through this thread...

I have a smart TV and it comes preloaded with Netflix, Youtube and other apps, which runs really smooth w/o lag.

The problem is that I am using external antenna, which has inconsistent reception.

I am considering a simple android box if apps can be installed to allow me to watch the free channels from mediacorp...so i can get rid of the antenna...which is unsightly anyway. Can you advise the apps to install or any guide available online?

Since I dont need Netflix I am considering a simple box like this one. https://shopee.sg/H96-MAX-X2-S905X2...t-Network-Media-Player-i.121933768.2077760653
going for S905x2 box as recommended by others here.

appreciate your advice. thank you.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

sorry to bring up an old post as I am just reading through this thread...

I have a smart TV and it comes preloaded with Netflix, Youtube and other apps, which runs really smooth w/o lag.

The problem is that I am using external antenna, which has inconsistent reception.

I am considering a simple android box if apps can be installed to allow me to watch the free channels from mediacorp...so i can get rid of the antenna...which is unsightly anyway. Can you advise the apps to install or any guide available online?

Since I dont need Netflix I am considering a simple box like this one. https://shopee.sg/H96-MAX-X2-S905X2...t-Network-Media-Player-i.121933768.2077760653
going for S905x2 box as recommended by others here.

appreciate your advice. thank you.

Get a better active antenna will solve your problem.

For new users of andriod, I don't recommend these no brand boxes. You will get much better experience if buying better box such as "mibox s". The price is very close to the box mentioned but it will perform much better.

Dont just look at figures, better figures might not directly translate to better user experience.

tek888

Reaction score
Get a better active antenna will solve your problem.

For new users of andriod, I don't recommend these no brand boxes. You will get much better experience if buying better box such as "mibox s". The price is very close to the box mentioned but it will perform much better.

Dont just look at figures, better figures might not directly translate to better user experience.

thanks for advice.

I already have another active antenna but it doesnt help much.

Yes, i am considering mibox as well. Have checked with the seller on qoo10 but there is no stock. I don't mind getting a cheap no brand box or mibox to play around as I have some spare time now. solving some hiccups along the way is ok as I had been playing with comps, phones and other gadgets in the past:):)

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for advice.

Yes, i am considering mibox as well. Have checked with the seller on qoo10 but there is no stock. I don't mind getting a cheap no brand box or mibox to play around as I have some spare time now. solving some hiccups along the way is ok as I had been playing with comps, phones and other gadgets in the past:):)

For MediaCorp Channels, not so sure why your active antenna does not work. Maybe it is the problem with the built-in DVB-T2 Tuner. Buying an external DVB-T2 Tuner box may help.

If purely for that purpose the official app is Toggle and the best option is to cast from Phone.

Is your TV Sony/Sharp Android TV, if yes then you can try cast from phone. If not the easiest option is to get a Google Chrome Dongle. I have used Toggle with my first gen Chromecast dongle and it works fine.

Mi Box S has also built-in Chromecast function, but some users report issues with the Toggle app.

Take note you will not be able to install Toggle on official Android TV OS device.

My Tanix TX5 Max can run Toggle now but there is no guarantee it will run in the future. Toggle may detect rooted box and refuse to run on rooted box. Same for the H96 Max X2.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for advice.

double check and confirm that power is applied correctly to the active antena. Good active antenna normally comes with a LED to indicate power status.

use your tv's info page to help to move the antenna to the right place, use the signal quality indicator to guide you.

setting up antenna is actually easier than setting up android box.

see this if you are still interested in mibox s. only $71

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tvboxsg/permalink/1184351838408910/

tek888

Reaction score
For MediaCorp Channels, not so sure why your active antenna does not work. Maybe it is the problem with the built-in DVB-T2 Tuner. Buying an external DVB-T2 Tuner box may help.

If purely for that purpose the official app is Toggle and the best option is to cast from Phone.

Is your TV Sony/Sharp Android TV, if yes then you can try cast from phone. If not the easiest option is to get a Google Chrome Dongle. I have used Toggle with my first gen Chromecast dongle and it works fine.

Mi Box S has also built-in Chromecast function, but some users report issues with the Toggle app.

Take note you will not be able to install Toggle on official Android TV OS device.

My Tanix TX5 Max can run Toggle now but there is no guarantee it will run in the future. Toggle may detect rooted box and refuse to run on rooted box. Same for the H96 Max X2.

hi, thanks for the advice. I have 2 antenna, one is stick on type and the other is a vertical stick. both have the same reception issue. most of the time super clear but sometimes very weak signal for no apparent reason. I prefer the stick as I can easily move it to catch the signal.

My TV is LG and it comes with Toggle, Netflix, Youtube and other stuff that I don't use. Yes, we use the toggle some times but not all programs can be viewed, plus the colour is super white vs the live TV.

The LG came with miracast and I played with it with my tablet and phone before.

actually now the main reason is i want to play with a tv box...solving the antenna issue is a bonus to me :)

tek888

Reaction score
double check and confirm that power is applied correctly to the active antena. Good active antenna normally comes with a LED to indicate power status.

use your tv's info page to help to move the antenna to the right place, use the signal quality indicator to guide you.

setting up antenna is actually easier than setting up android box.

see this if you are still interested in mibox s. only $71

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tvboxsg/permalink/1184351838408910/

yes, it has a green light to show the power. When i unplug it the reception was worse....so I know it is working :)

Thanks for the info on mibox price. can you advise where i can get it for $71? The guy in qoo10 sells for $79 but has no stock...need to wait. The one in lazada is $83 now.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi, thanks for the advice. I have 2 antenna, one is stick on type and the other is a vertical stick. both have the same reception issue. most of the time super clear but sometimes very weak signal for no apparent reason. I prefer the stick as I can easily move it to catch the signal.

My TV is LG and it comes with Toggle, Netflix, Youtube and other stuff that I don't use. Yes, we use the toggle some times but not all programs can be viewed, plus the colour is super white vs the live TV.

actually now the main reason is i want to play with a tv box...solving the antenna issue is a bonus to me :)

I see. Your LG already comes with Toggle then no point to get a box just for Toggle.

If you want to play with TV boxes, I will suggest buying two boxes to enjoy both side.

1) Mi Box S which runs official Android TV OS. Not rooted. Lower HW Spec but actually runs smooth based on various reviews for streaming applications. Casual gaming is also possible.

Buy a Ugreen USB 2.0 Hub with Ethernet to compensate for the weakness of Mi Box S.

2) S905X2 based generic box, recommendation is either Beelink GT1 Mini or Tanix TX5 Max, not H96 Max X2. Powerful enough for most of the apps. Better gaming support than Mi Box S.

Beelink, better brand, more expensive, voice remote, rooted but with system root switch

Tanix TX5 Max, lower cost, better wifi. Rooted. No root switch.

I myself have the TX5 Max (OEM version without Tanix logo) and it is the pretty good, but you may get less support from Tanix and from various websites compared to Beelink GT1 Mini.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

try funke dsc550 or dsc560.

miracast is totally different from chromecast. miracast is not recommended for video.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is very good lobang. many thanks for the link...will check it out.

Yes it is a good lobang. Even though I do not really need Mi Box S (not into Netflix, got my own Chromecast, not into 4K), it is still tempting to get it.

But then my wife told me not to buy any TV boxes because I already have 7 of them.

So okay I told her not to buy any more boxes this year...

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
FW upgrade and FW recovery guide from Androudpctv website, only for reference for tech savvy users. Not for those inexperienced users.

Amlogic CPU based box
https://androidpctv.com/firmware-update-guide-tvbox-soc-amlogic/

Rockchip CPU based box
https://androidpctv.com/firmware-update-guide-android-tvbox-rockchip-soc/

Allwinner CPU based box
https://androidpctv.com/firmware-update-guide-for-tv-box-with-allwinner-soc/

So far I have used the recovery method for Amlogic, for my X96 Mini S905W based box.

Then I also find another problem with Tanix TX5 Max, the recovery button is not accessible without opening the box. Not a problem for most of the people though.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The point is installation of supersu.apk or superuser.apk will not brick the box, just remember not to update binary when prompted.

I can use superuser app to unroot the box easily. But not sure about this box as i dont have one with me at the moment.

It is very risky if the box can grant access to all apps without asking.

After I recovered my X96 Mini, I installed SuperSu from PlayStore again. And when it does prompt to upgrade the binary, I choose no. I also give up on the unroot hope.

At least it starts to prompt me when there is a root access (tested with Es File Explorer).

Thanks for the advice.

I will try this on other boxes over the weekend.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes it is a good lobang. Even though I do not really need Mi Box S (not into Netflix, got my own Chromecast, not into 4K), it is still tempting to get it.

But then my wife told me not to buy any TV boxes because I already have 7 of them.

This box has no preloaded app?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This box has no preloaded app?

No. It is certified by Google and Netflix. You get Netflix 4k, YouTube 4k and Chromecast 4k.

Preloaded boxes in Singapore, sold in Sim Limited Square, Shopping Centres and Facebook Groups, are not recommended in general.

tek888

Reaction score

My fingers not fast enough. it's fully redeemed...:s13::s13:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For Tanix TX6 owners only, today I tried two things on the box. One is successful and the other one failed.

1) Use a USB fan to blow the air from the side ventilation holes, very effective to bring the temperature down from 85-90 degree C (today is a hot day) to 65-70 degree C.

Probably I want to open the top cover and secure the fan on top.

2) Tried the previous OTA and they were successful. Today tried the new OTA which is supposed to fix the notification bar issues but it failed. Not so sure if this has anything to do with the fact that I am using an OEM version (without Tanix logo).

From Tanix Facebook page:

FIRMWARE Update: TANIX TX6 update by OTA. In order to get the v20190508, open the pre-installed "UPDATE" APP and check for online updates.

Tanix TX6 overview: http://www.tanix-box.com/project-view/tanix-tx6-android-tv-box-allwinner-h6-dual-wifi-6k-alice-ux/

Change log:

1. Make status bar and notification window interactive.
2. Fixed bug about external camera not working

The OTA problem has been resolved. Look like Magisk Manager messed up the bootloader and that is why OTA updates failed.

Anyway, I use Phoenix Card to burn an official ROM from Tanix website (email address required), then I am able to carry out the OTA.

The Phoenix Suite and Phoenix USB Pro failed this time due to USB driver recognition problem for my Windows 10 laptop.

Ha-ha, now I learned the recovery for both Amlogic CPU based box and Allwinner CPU based box.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.