US help.

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
USD.

Pulled trigger and booked five nights around the parks, nothing was available within boundaries, I'm not even talking about prices.

Last time I saw $39.99 for Motel 6 within vicinity of Bay Area, it was in Gilroy, and it was 1998.

In Bay Area... last year cheapest room next to SFO was USD $215/night and it was Super 8.

Depends on which time you go. If you go during Dreamforce conference then gg. But often you can find good deals 4 star hotels like Hyatt sfo airport for around 100-120.

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
Lol I’m staying around San Francisco.
I 'stayed' around San Francisco for 16 years and up to last years was coming back 1-2 times per year. I know what it is.

The best point is no matter you travel to where you will feel it’s cheap. People say how places like Hawai’i and Paris are expensive. When we go there it’s like wow so cheap.

No it is not.

I have some data points to compare. I have been living is seven different countries in last 27 years. I have been in every continent except Antarctica and have 126 border crossing stamps in one passport and 94 - in another.

California is expensive. Mainly - due to lodging, but food is relatively cheap compared to Western Europe (at Eastern Europe and former Soviet Union countries both lodging and food is way cheaper). And I am not talking about staying at 5* hotels which I never do. In my travels maximum what I need is: clean sheets on bed, clean room, non-noisy environment, hot running water and ability to make/drink coffee in the morning. Anything in addition to this is not necessary to me.

And judging from the requirements above California is the second most expensive place I've been after South Island of New Zealand. As I said - I will get way more for the same amount of money travelling in South Africa than travelling in California. And I don't want even to mention Asia. I and my wife can fly to Bali and stay there for a week in a villa twice, for USD $1000, including flights and lodging.

But, to each its own. I am just sharing my personal observations based on my own, personal experiences.

Last edited:

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
Depends on which time you go. If you go during Dreamforce conference then gg. But often you can find good deals 4 star hotels like Hyatt sfo airport for around 100-120.

Sorry, this is bull.

My wife goes on business trip from June 23rd till June 27. I will let you check what is available within 5 miles from San Mateo, but I am telling that cheapest property available at her Concur after 40% corporate discount is Embassy Suites for USD $279/night.

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry, this is bull.

My wife goes on business trip from June 23rd till June 27. I will let you check what is available within 5 miles from San Mateo, but I am telling that cheapest property available at her Concur after 40% corporate discount is Embassy Suites for USD $279/night.

June 23 to June 27 is school holidays peak travel times, of course it will be expensive. Just check the price like even now:

Avizoa

Reaction score
I 'stayed' around San Francisco for 16 years and up to last years was coming back 1-2 times per year. I know what it is.

No it is not.

I have some data points to compare. I have been living is seven different countries in last 27 years. I have been in every continent except Antarctica and have 126 border crossing stamps in one passport and 94 - in another.

California is expensive. Mainly - due to lodging, but food is relatively cheap compared to Western Europe (at Eastern Europe and former Soviet Union countries both lodging and food is way cheaper). And I am not talking about staying at 5* hotels which I never do. In my travels maximum what I need is: clean sheets on bed, clean room, non-noisy environment, hot running water and ability to make/drink coffee in the morning. Anything in addition to this is not necessary to me.

And judging from the requirements above California is the second most expensive place I've been after South Island of New Zealand. As I said - I will get way more for the same amount of money travelling in South Africa than travelling in California. And I don't want even to mention Asia. I and my wife can fly to Bali and stay there for a week in a villa twice, for USD $1000, including flights and lodging.

But, to each its own. I am just sharing my personal observations based on my own, personal experiences.
this person is correct, california is definitely a very expensive state if you are staying at the main cities. if you want to save money on lodging in sfo, please go across the bay and head into oakland.
SFO is a expensive place to be at period, especially if you are heading there during some conference, be prepared for the prices of hotels to be super high.

pricklepantz

Reaction score
How's the electric bike rental going in SF, especially to go around Union Square, Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate?
Is it easy to find and grab one from street corners (like how Ofo and Mobike used to be in SG)?

adgjl321

Reaction score
Last minute trip and I’m headed for SF LV LA from June 10-25th. Need some advice desperately!

Day 1:
Arrive in SF late night

Day 2 to 4:
Food market at Ferry building
Farmers Market
- Frog Hollow Farm desserts
- Argentinean empanadas
- Humphry Slocombe - ice cream
- Cowgirl Sidekick - cheese sandwich
- Prather Meat Co. - hotdog
- Hog island oyster company
Lombard Street
Ghiradelli Square
Fisherman Wharf
Crissy field (Golden gate bridge view)
Union Square
Alcatraz

Day 5:
Great Mall of San Francisco
Gilroy Outlets

Day 6:
Monterey/Carmel-By-The-Sea
- Wharf Marketplace in Monterey
- Carmel Beach Village
- Cannery Row and Wharf
Big Sur Village
- McWay Falls
Drive to Yosemite for the night

I’m quite stucked with the planning from here on:

Day 7/8/9:
How do I hit Yosemite, Death Valley before ending up in Vegas? I’m keen to forego 1 of them if that’ll be best

Day 10 to 11:
Explore Vegas itself

Day 12 to 15/16:
I’ll be flying out of LAX…so would want to spend perhaps 3 days (and perhaps half a day at Desert Hill outlet as well) in LA as well.

We want to do quite a bit of shopping (I personally want to get some Brook Brothers and AE shoes...any other recommendations for formal wear that's a fair bit cheaper in the US?). We are not massive fans of nature/rocks etc, but do definitely want to check it out at some point. Also keen to check out some nice/quaint beachside towns etc.

Questions:

From Day 1 to 6, should I base myself out of the same accommodation, which is probably closer to downtown SF?

Should I only rent a car from Day 5 onwards? Read it isn't too wise to drive into the city.

Should I do Yosemite as a day trip then just fly out to Vegas to save time?

Last edited:

adgjl321

Reaction score
In addition to the above, how is staying at Daly City or around Visitacion Valley? As much as I’d love to stay near Union Square it seems really expensive. Reaching on the 10th June and looking for a place for 5 people. So was wondering if it’ll make sense to just Uber into the city then.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In addition to the above, how is staying at Daly City or around Visitacion Valley? As much as I’d love to stay near Union Square it seems really expensive. Reaching on the 10th June and looking for a place for 5 people. So was wondering if it’ll make sense to just Uber into the city then.

5 ppl to a room? Most places only do 4 max unless u find 2 bedrooms places or Airbnb

adgjl321

Reaction score
5 ppl to a room? Most places only do 4 max unless u find 2 bedrooms places or Airbnb
Sorry wasn’t too clear - I’m looking towards Airbnb as hoping not to spend more than $50-60 per person per night which really limits our option to Airbnb.

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
Sorry wasn’t too clear - I’m looking towards Airbnb as hoping not to spend more than $50-60 per person per night which really limits our option to Airbnb.
The question need to be asked differently - how many beds do you need?

If you need three-four beds and two rooms, than two hotel rooms each having two queen beds is a solution, but for SF that will be USD $120 per person per night and there is no workaround around it, AirBnB or otherwise.

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Daly City is fine. I live around Daly City as well and work in the city and drive/Uber to work everyday. It’s only 20 min drive/30-40 min Uber pool during non peak hours.

adgjl321

Reaction score
The question need to be asked differently - how many beds do you need?

If you need three-four beds and two rooms, than two hotel rooms each having two queen beds is a solution, but for SF that will be USD $120 per person per night and there is no workaround around it, AirBnB or otherwise.

Daly City is fine. I live around Daly City as well and work in the city and drive/Uber to work everyday. It’s only 20 min drive/30-40 min Uber pool during non peak hours.
Thanks both. I've seen some places in Daly City going at about $300+ per night with 3, even 4 beds. So just really need to sort out my itinerary above before I can look at accom.

Hoping someone could chip in please :)

Avizoa

Reaction score
Last minute trip and I’m headed for SF LV LA from June 10-25th. Need some advice desperately!

Day 1:
Arrive in SF late night

Day 2 to 4:
Food market at Ferry building
Farmers Market
- Frog Hollow Farm desserts
- Argentinean empanadas
- Humphry Slocombe - ice cream
- Cowgirl Sidekick - cheese sandwich
- Prather Meat Co. - hotdog
- Hog island oyster company
Lombard Street
Ghiradelli Square
Fisherman Wharf
Crissy field (Golden gate bridge view)
Union Square
Alcatraz

Day 5:
Great Mall of San Francisco
Gilroy Outlets

Day 6:
Monterey/Carmel-By-The-Sea
- Wharf Marketplace in Monterey
- Carmel Beach Village
- Cannery Row and Wharf
Big Sur Village
- McWay Falls
Drive to Yosemite for the night

Day 7/8/9:
How do I hit Yosemite, Death Valley before ending up in Vegas? I’m keen to forego 1 of them if that’ll be best

Day 10 to 11:
Explore Vegas itself

Day 12 to 15/16:
I’ll be flying out of LAX…so would want to spend perhaps 3 days (and perhaps half a day at Desert Hill outlet as well) in LA as well.

We want to do quite a bit of shopping (I personally want to get some Brook Brothers and AE shoes...any other recommendations for formal wear that's a fair bit cheaper in the US?). We are not massive fans of nature/rocks etc, but do definitely want to check it out at some point. Also keen to check out some nice/quaint beachside towns etc.

Questions:

From Day 1 to 6, should I base myself out of the same accommodation, which is probably closer to downtown SF?

Should I only rent a car from Day 5 onwards? Read it isn't too wise to drive into the city.

Erm for your Day 6 how early do you intend to travel to Monterey? McWay Falls is like in the middle of big sur and thus Yosemite is quite a distance from it. What time do you intend to reach your yosemite accom?

Day 7 8 9, maybe like us know what do you actually want to visit in death valley? Are you doing any hiking in Yose?

2 days for LV imo is kinda short if this is your first time. Is there any residence act that you are looking to watch?

As for outlet shopping, either you can head to LV South (free parking!)/North (not free) before heading back to LA or Carmiello Outlet.

Avizoa

Reaction score
Thanks both. I've seen some places in Daly City going at about $300+ per night with 3, even 4 beds. So just really need to sort out my itinerary above before I can look at accom.

Hoping someone could chip in please :)
Time is money and money is time. Do you want to spend lots of time travelling thru and back SFO all these add up could be the cost of your airbnb in SFO too?
Money aside looking at your itenary it seemed to be quite tight, so do you really want to spend all the time in travel?

lousylah

Reaction score
Upper East Coast

Just back from a trip through Boston, Cape Cod and NYC! :s12: First visit to those places for me.

Sharing some experience for users who may be visiting the area.

Boston
Boston is a more open and spaced-out city (not super urban like NYC, SG, HK, etc.) which can be a nice break for us city folks as it is still fairly convenient to get around and have enough creature comforts. reminds me of cities in Australia but nicer and more interesting IMO. =:p

We got around on a combination of The T (train network that operates both above and under ground) and a lot of walking! Bought the 7-day pass and felt we used it sufficiently within 3-days to cover the cost.

Boston is a very walkable city. We did the Freedom Trail covering locations and history leading up to the American War of Independence. It was 20+km of walking and easy to follow with the red bricks/markers embedded onto the pavements and pedestrain crossing. Suggest visitors to obtain the Boston Pass for entry to all the small museums along the way - otherwise it is individual ticket for each museum.

Start early and you can break for lunch/coffee/snacks anywhere along the way.

Popular, particularly with Asian tourists, are visits to the various universities like Harvard and MIT. Harvard has a couple of museums of their own which are worth visiting if time permits.

Generally people we encountered were well-mannered, friendly and just genuinely nice. :)

Great seafood, of course!

Cape Cod
This leg of the trip was to visit relatives based there. The Cape is a summer destination especially for the wealthy with their summer houses. It was very quiet as we visited in the "wrong" season. :s13:

It's the home town of John F Kennedy so there is a small museum dedicated to him. The Kennedies have a large family compound in one of the coastal area. Impossible to get around at all without a vehicle as the nearest anything is 15-20 minutes walk.

Couple of popular outlying islands to visit are Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket - "millionaire's islands". We did a day trip to Nantucket and cycled 20-miles along bike trails on eastern part of the island and rode pass many of the beautiful millionaire summer houses and also a golf course along the coast featuring a functioning lighthouse!

As with Boston, fantastic seafood!

New York City
The Big Apple, the city that never sleeps... Anything and everything goes in this cosmopolitan, dynamic, energetic place.

We walked an average 10km at least each of the 5 full days we were there and only barely covered a quarter of Manhattan island. So much to see, do, eat and buy there. I will suggest exploring the city with the ubiquitous Citi-bikes to cover more area.

Some of the best things to see in NYC are actually FREE!
1. Central Park
2. Grand Central Station
3. New York Public Library
4. World Trade Center Memorial
5. Brooklyn/Manhattan bridges
6. Hudson Park
7. High-Line
8. Times Square
9. Bryant Park
10. The countless churches and places of worship like St. Patrick's Cathedral
11. ...more that I haven't explored myself

One funny suggestion is to try the chinese food, especially in and around chinatown - it's REALLY good, comparable to anything we can find in Asia except a little pricey (by SG standards). :s13:

The Metropolitan Museum has an amazing collection of historical artifacts and art from nearly all over the world. It takes at least 3hrs just to quickly browse through each gallery - better to cater more time especially if you are a fan of history. MoMA was interesting too but certain galleries/exhibits got too abstract for me. We got tickets for both on Klook, instant e-ticket and cheaper than buying OTC.

The subway network is complex and can be confusing, stations can be cleaner and train frequencies higher. Each entry is ~USD3 or more. Not the most pleasant and nothing much to see which is why we limited using it to once or twice at most per day. Hotels are small and very expensive, you can consider Airbnb though it's illegal (as how it is in SG) :s22:

As with Boston, people were far nicer and friendlier than I had expected. Better mannered than the average folks in Singapore! :s13:

It sounds cliché but NYC somehow does make one feel the sky's the limit. Anything is possible! It was far more pleasant than I had imagined - yes the sirens are always going off, the streets are not the cleanest, you do see some homelessness and it is good to regularly keep on your guard.

But still, it's a helluva town.

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How's the electric bike rental going in SF, especially to go around Union Square, Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate?
Is it easy to find and grab one from street corners (like how Ofo and Mobike used to be in SG)?

It's... a bit thin. The electric bike and scooter companies all got booted out of San Francisco late last year; you can now rent scooters, but the bikes are limited to the Ford GoBike network (which is very short on electric bikes). Brace yourself for a quads workout.

Visitacion... yeah no, don't do this. It's pretty meh, the public transport is lacking... why bother?

Daly City's fine but it's deeply boring and suburban, and about 30-40 minutes from the city on BART.

If you're going to go that far down the peninsula, you might as well go a little further down to Burlingame or San Mateo. Check out the airport hotels—you might be able to snag a bargain there—or look for an AirBnB close to a Caltrain station.

Day 7/8/9:

This is totally doable... couple of things to note, though.

1) Even though June is summer, the top of Yosemite may still be snowed in. It's been a HUGE snow season this year, so the Tioga Pass Road that gets you from one side of Yosemite to the other might be still closed.

2) Death Valley in June is going to be an absolute b'stard. It's literally the hottest place in the world, and June is the height of summer. You may not want to do this.

So you have two questions to ask
1) Is the Tioga Pass open?
2) Do I really want to do Death Valley?

If the Tioga Pass is open, and you do want to do Death Valley, here's the map.

If the Tioga Pass is open, and you decide not to do Death Valley, you can head across the White Mountains instead, and see the bristlecone pines! This is a pretty awesome drive. Here's the map.

If the Tioga Pass is closed, you're going to have to head south to Bakersfield, then turn east. From here, it's a straight shot to Barstow and then to Vegas across some of the bleakest terrain you'll ever drive; alternatively, you can drive from Bakersfield to Death Valley, then pop out at the little hamlet of Amargosa Valley and take US-95 straight down into Vegas.

Either way, you should leave a couple of days for this drive. If you're stopping in Death Valley, stay at the Furnace Creek Ranch; if you're taking the White Mountains route, stay in the little town of Bishop at the Bishop Creekside Inn; if you're heading south through Bakersfield and skipping Death Valley, you can just blast all the way through to Vegas in a day.

1) Yes.
2) Yes. Driving in San Francisco blows, and I say that as someone who does it every day.
3) Mmm... nah, the drive out the back of Yosemite is amazing. Do it.

fzhfzh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes driving in sf sucks. But the alternative is dealing with homeless, drug abusers on Bart that gets shutdown or delayed ever so often...

Or take Uber if you aren’t here that long, it’s not that expensive.

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is Miami famous for beach?

Oh my goodness yes. Miami Beach is one of the most famous stretches of beach front in the world (and a personal fave of mine, because of the absolutely glorious Streamline Moderne architecture that’s everywhere on the beach). I’ve been there a few times; what do you want to know?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.