How to enable subtitles when watching movie in Flash Drive with Hard Subs?

Fat_Bastard

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As above.

How to enable subtitles when watching movie in Flash Drive with Hard Subs on my SMART TV.

Let's just say I "AHEM" some Blu-ray quality videos with hard subs inside.

Loaded them into my 128 gb flash drive and plugged it into my smart TV (LG C7 OLED).

The movie can play but there's no option to enable subtitles. I can enable subtitles on my PC via VLC player without problem, but not on my TV.

Only those videos where there's external subtitle files (e.g SRT files), I can click on the subtitle tab and enable them.

So far only one Blu-ray quality show came with subs separate and I was able to enjoy watching it with subtitles. It was 4k + HDR and fugging chio on my TV....so quite sad that the rest of the shows I ahem (all with hard subs) cannot display subtitles -_-

Any advice?

Last edited:

daisuki

Reaction score
Firstly, it's called soft subs. Not hard subs. Hard subs means the sub is already embedded into the video as per some movies when they speak a foreign language.

Soft subs are like what you mentioned. SRT, ASS and more. Subtitles that can be enabled and disabled at will. Seems to me like a limitation with the video player on the TV side. Nothing you can do. I can easily watch movies via a BluRay player from my PC. All I have to do is enable HDR in Windows 10. And I can watch movies in HDR to my C7,

Just note, if you cannot get Lossless TrueHD/DTS HD-Master to your audio receiver or soundbar, that is because you need to download Nvidia Driver and click on the optional HD Audio in that driver to install. Then you can get Atmos and DTS:X to your audio player.

Fat_Bastard

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As you can see, the SUB tab is greyed out and I can't click on it. But when I use VLC on my pc, no problem. In fact there's a whole list of subtitles in various languages to choose from.

7T6Ya8C.jpg

So how do I enable subtitles on my TV if im playing a movie from a flash drive with HARD SUBS inside.

Last edited:

daisuki

Reaction score
As you can see, the SUB tab is greyed out and I can't click on it. But when I use VLC on my pc, no problem. In fact there's a whole list of subtitles in various languages to choose from.

7T6Ya8C.jpg

So how do I enable subtitles on my TV if im playing a movie from a flash drive with HARD SUBS inside.

As I mentioned before, it is a limitation on the video player on the TV. There's really nothing much you can do. Unless you are willing to go use MKV extract to extract the sub that you want to see and use a software like aegisub32 to convert your subtitle to a normal .srt file. Then remux the subtitle into the file and make it your default of cos if its a foreign sub. And done.

But you also mentioned it can only see .srt subtitle files that are not in the MKV file? If that is the case, then you do not need to remux the subtitle file after converting it from another subtitle format. But you will have to rename the subtitle file to the movie file name for it to be recognized as a subtitle relating to your video.

Fat_Bastard

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned before, it is a limitation on the video player on the TV. There's really nothing much you can do. Unless you are willing to go use MKV extract to extract the sub that you want to see and use a software like aegisub32 to convert your subtitle to a normal .srt file. Then remux the subtitle into the file and make it your default of cos if its a foreign sub. And done.

But you also mentioned it can only see .srt subtitle files that are not in the MKV file? If that is the case, then you do not need to remux the subtitle file after converting it from another subtitle format. But you will have to rename the subtitle file to the movie file name for it to be recognized as a subtitle relating to your video.

Sorry let me word is properly this time.

There are 2 types of files that I downloaded.

Type1
Comes with a separate subtitles folder containing .srt files.
This one I can watch on my TV and enable subs.

Type 2
2) standalone Huge file that does not come with a sub folder.
E.g
CaptainSingapore.TheLastAvenger.4k.HDR

This file, when I use VLC to watch, there's a whole list of subtitles to choose from even though there's no separate sub file. When I play on my TV, it doesn't display any subs.

So I guess, no way to watch it on my TV then...
Wonder if there's any app that I can download on my TV and I can use it like VLC player.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Rent original blu ray disc movie, save you all the trouble.
Like others mention if video have sub than there will be sub.
Blu ray disc usually have subtitles embedded in them.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe your player doesn't autoload sub files with the same filename as your video file. See if you are able to load it manually.

_dXter

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's probably in a sub format that is not supported by the smart tv's media player.

-Synchronicity-

Reaction score
You gotta use mkv merge to move the streams around. It happens sometimes.

Video file is always the top layer followed by whatever language of sub you prefer. Audio stream can be placed anywhere as I do not obeserve any difference in placement.

Alternatively as mentioned above, hard sub the video. Since it's on the video, the player should show the subs with no trouble.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Might as well DLNA server and encode on the fly in that case.

Or just do things the old but reliable way - Connect a Windows computer to your TV.

Fat_Bastard

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help.

Went to buy a very long HDMI cable and problem solved. :s22::s22:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.