End of support for windows 7

shm725

Reaction score
Hi, with the end of support for windows 7 in 2020, do i have to purchase the upgrade to windows 10?

jas1701

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, with the end of support for windows 7 in 2020, do i have to purchase the upgrade to windows 10?

If you got the legal Win7 key, reformat your HD and install a fresh Win10. When ask for key, skip first. Proceed as usual.

Hafi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Win 10 keys are so cheap... no need to bother one.

seabiscuit

Banned
Reaction score
I just managed to do a FREE upgrade from win7 to win10 two days ago. Tried for two weeks to do the upgrade, finally did it after disconnect the second monitor from the desktop. Can still use your win7 product code for the installation. Good luck!

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I used this method by Carey Holzman a few weeks ago. Upgrade from Windows 7 to 10.

Backup all your data first. Just get a copy of Windows10Upgrade9252.exe and run it.

Last edited:

jas1701

Master Member
Reaction score
Why do you need to upgrade from win7 to win10 instead of installing a fresh copy win10. Quite a number of issue reported on this method.

jas1701

Master Member
Reaction score
So there's no need to key in the legal Win7 key? Cos I lost it

u can skip the product key and proceed to install win10 first. After that OS will prompt you to activate. Since u lost the key, u can still use but you cant change a number of features like desktop, themes etc. Further to this, how long MS will allow to use without the key is still unknown.

Anyway Win10 OS is relatively cheap for home edition.

zapzap

Reaction score
u can skip the product key and proceed to install win10 first. After that OS will prompt you to activate. Since u lost the key, u can still use but you cant change a number of features like desktop, themes etc. Further to this, how long MS will allow to use without the key is still unknown.

Anyway Win10 OS is relatively cheap for home edition.

If your system is running a legit Windows 7 then you can use Nirsoft.Net utility to read your windows product key.

Tks tks. So for fresh install of Win10, I just enter my legit Windows 7 product key when prompt at Win10?

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Make sure that the key is from the same system that you are installing the Windows 10. Before you proceed, backup your data first.

lexuan

Reaction score
I used this method by Carey Holzman a few weeks ago. Upgrade from Windows 7 to 10.

Backup all your data first. Just get a copy of Windows10Upgrade9252.exe and run it.

Got a similar issue!! Will go test this out. tks.

FandiAhmad17

Reaction score
hijack this thread a little, any recommendations on where to buy cheap and legit/legal windows 10 home edition?

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need to activate key again? Tia
If your windows 7 is legit then there is no need to re-enter product key if you choose this method. If Windows 10 do not have the driver, you need to re-install the driver e.g. Nvidia GPU driver.

lanzhu60

Reaction score
My win7 key is activated but When i tried using the ms media tool to upgrade win 7 to win 10 ,encountered an error "the installation failed in the safe os phase with an error during boot operation " and happened few times.

Can I knw how should I proceed ?
-reinstall win7 , upgrade to win10 , reinstall win10
Or
-upgrade using win10 iso file and reinstall win10 ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.