Android TV Box

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Starhub Go is only compatible with PC and Mobile phone.
https://www.starhub.com/personal/support/services-and-plans/starhub-go/about.html

The only known Android TV box to support Starhub Go directly is Starhub Go Streaming Box.

But it does support Chromecast, so you can cast from phone through Chromecast dongles or official Android TV OS device like Sony/Sharp Android TV, Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TVB Anywhere+ device support list
https://plus.tvbanywhere.com/certified-smart-tv-list.pdf

For big screen device (only for paid customer), Android TV OS device like Mi Box S, Nvidia Shield TV, Sony/Sharp Android TV and Starhub Go Streaming box are supported.

You can still use the Android mobile phone version and then screen mirroring to your TV (eg: Samsung and LG TV) or through a TV boxes supporting Miracast (many TV boxes support Miracast).

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Toggle device compatibility list
https://www.toggle.sg/en/faq

Samsung, LG smart TV and Apple TV are supported. Chromecast dongles are also supported.

You will not be able to install Toggle on Android TV OS device. Report of Toggle's support of the Chromecast function inside Mi Box S is mixed. Some people reported issues. Need more inputs on using Toggle with the built-in Chromecast function of Android TV OS device.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All in all, if you want to use legitimate streaming services like Netflix, HBO Go, SingTel Cast, SingTel TV Go, TVB Anywhere+, Starhub Go, etc, your best bet is official Android TV OS device like Mi Box S, Nvidia Shield TV and Sony/Sharp Android TV.

If you do not need TVB Anywhere+ and Starhub Go, Apple TV 4K is also a very good choice.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Netflix 4K UHD
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

Apple TV 4K, Chromecast Ultra Dongle, Official Android TV OS device, Samsung Tizen Smart TV, LG Web OS Smart TV, Roku 4k, Amazon Fire TV sticks 4k are supported.

For non TV devices, both the HDMI cable and the HDMI port on your TV must be HDCP 2.2 certified to successfully display Ultra HD content.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For my generic boxes, none of them are able to run Netflix 4K, SingTel Cast and SingTel TV Go. They are not able to run TVB Anywhere+ TV version either.

Some of them are able to run Toggle, Starhub Go and TVB Anywhere+ mobile version. For example, Tanix TX5 Max. YMMV depending on the boxes.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Repost from Page 94, with minor updates.

https://youtu.be/uzjC64FKzWo

The above is a good summary why Mi Box S is often recommended as the streaming device to go.

1) It is a streaming device which makes your TV smart or smarter than it is now. This is true for TVs like those Samsung Frozen OS based smart TV, LG Webos based smart TV and even Xiaomi TV running Patchwall Android based OS.

2) It runs official Google Certified Android TV OS which is easy to use.

3) Very good streaming support due to running Certified Android TV OS, Netflix 4K and YouTube 4K are supported.

TVB Anywhere+ is also supported. Along with SingTel Cast and SingTel TV Go.

4) Good bluetooth voice remote with Google Assistant

5) Chromecast 4k function built-in. This is one of the best feature of Mi Box S. You can use apps like Netflix, YouTube, Starhub Go, SingTel TV Go, Singtel Cast, Toggle, HBO Go, Viu Premium, etc, on the phone (iOS or Android) and then cast to your TV with this function. Basically this covers most of the popular Streaming services here in Singapore. Take note you can still use your phone for other things after the shows started on the TV. You can run Netflix, YouTube, SingTel TV Go and SingTelCast on Mi Box S itself as well.

In terms of cost, typical cost in Lazada/Qoo10/Shopee is around S$70-90, depending on offer and coupon. Take note Chromecast Ultra (4k support) itself cost more than S$100. Even the cheaper Chromecast (1080p) costs more than S$50.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The main disadvantages of Mi Box S are the following.
1) The author mentions relatively weak CPU and occasionally lag or skip frame if you set the interface resolution as 4k. Still it is actually very good for streaming and even casual gaming due to good software optimization.

2) Relatively limited interface, only one USB 2.0 port and no Ethernet interface. Still take note the Dual Band AC WiFi works well.

3) Relatively small 8GB storage but you can add a fast USB Flash Drive to expand the storage

Weakness point 2 can be fixed by buying UGreen USB 2.0 Hub with Ethernet as well.

Nvidia Shield TV (usually S$200++) have all the advantages of Mi Box S and none of the disadvantages of Mi Box S. It adds good gaming support to Mi Box S and the performance is still the king, beating Rockchip RK3399 and new Amlogic S922X boxes to the dust.

Last edited:

Starbutt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any of these have build in dvb t2 tuner? I know can stream via toggle but kind of leh chey.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Repost

Depending on your needs you may consider the following streaming hardware options, from easy to more difficult. Option 8/9/10 can be easy to use but since I do not recommend them so they are put in the bottom.

For streaming I think Mi Box S should be a very good choice especially for new users. Then Nvidia Shield TV is another good choice if you are willing to pay for the performance. If for some reasons you do not like these two, you may want to consider Option 7, especially S905X2 boxes.

1) Starhub fibre TV or SingTel TV

2) Starhub Go Streaming Box, running operator version of Android TV OS, not yet support Netflix but support Chromecast.

3) Google Chromecast dongles, including the 4k option called Chromecast Ultra

4) Apple TV and Apple TV 4k which are good option for Apple users

5) Mi Box S or Nvidia Shield TV running official Android TV OS whch supports Netflix 4k and YouTube 4k. You can load other apps as well with some exceptions like Starhub Go. But you can use Starhub Go on the mobile and cast to TV. Take note that new TVBAnywhere+ app TV version apk is available for Mi Box S from its website.

6) Amazon Fire TV stick 4k or Amazon Fire TV Cube, which supports Netflix 4k as well, again you can side load other apps.

7) Other barebone Android TV boxes, say those from Zidoo, Minix, Beelink and Tanix. Or those generic boxes. No Netflix HD/4k support, no ChromeCast function.

Brand is one important factor in choosing the box. Android OS version and CPU/Memory/Storage/WiFi/Ethernet/etc are important factor as well.

Avoid 1GB memory boxes in this category for new purchases.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Repost

8) Preloaded boxes like UnblockTech Ubox with relative comprehensive live TV app UBTV and they try to support it even though UBTV is ordered by high court to be blocked by local ISPs. Not recommended but I can see why people still go for it. EVpad is another popular brand in this category.

9) Other preloaded boxes sold at Sim Lim Square, other shopping centres or online market place or even Facebook, most if not all are problematic and do not expect good support. Avoid them.

10) Not HW boxes but just paid IPTV subscription. Not recommended in general but I can understand why people buy them.

Of course there are other alternatives like smart TV from Samsung (Tizen OS), LG (Web OS) and Sony/Sharp/Philips (Android TV OS), among which Android TV OS is the smartest with more apps.

Xiaomi TV is only recommended if you are only interested in mainland China content. But you can add a Mi Box S to address the Patchwall OS deficiency.

Then there are things like Roku box which is popular in US but may not be good for use here in Singapore.

Last edited:

TheSnail

Reaction score
Put the TV box near to your wireless router and try again.

Also use Ethernet to test as well.

And compare speed with your mobile phone.

Cannot move box closer to router and still have a screen to see speed.

I have just plugged in my PowerLine and with all lights working on both ends, DHCP and Static tried on the box, I cannot get a connection.

WiFi between my router and phone is same speed.

EDIT: Maybe a different Speedtest has different result, instead of using the Google test I just tried speedtest.com.sg and got D/L 94Mbps and U/L 82Mbps so I suppose this should be better?

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any of these have build in dvb t2 tuner? I know can stream via toggle but kind of leh chey.

Answer is from my Page 94 posts. Repost here. But I think the price is high and better buy separate tuner box.

When it comes to Hybrid box with DVB-T2 tuner built-in, there are not many choices. Personally I think it is better to buy separate device but I understand that there are people who like multifunction device.

Magicsee is one such vendor with C300 and C400 model.
http://m.magicsees.com/m/
https://www.gearbest.com/top-brands/brand/MAGICSEE.html

Mecool (from.Vidostrong) is another vendor with models like Kiii Pro.
http://www.videostrong.com/index.html
https://www.gearbest.com/top-brands/brand/MECOOL.html

Both companies are also producing other TV boxes.

Mecool is kind of interesting to produce quite some non-certified Android TV OS device and tried to get around Netflix restrictions, I think it is not worth it, just buy official certified Android TV OS device like Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV for Netflix.

Note: Gearbest site is only for cost reference. Often cheaper in Singapore online market place.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cannot move box closer to router and still have a screen to see speed.

I have just plugged in my PowerLine and with all lights working on both ends, DHCP and Static tried on the box, I cannot get a connection.

WiFi between my router and phone is same speed.

EDIT: Maybe a different Speedtest has different result, instead of using the Google test I just tried speedtest.com.sg and got D/L 94Mbps and U/L 82Mbps so I suppose this should be better?

So this confirms the box WiFi is okay. Near 100Mps wifi speed is considered very good for TV boxes.

Usually you use the Ookla SpeedTest app from Google Play store for the test. Choose your ISP as the test server, in this case, Starhub. I believe you should get even better results.

Netflix also provides the Fast app for speed testing but that is more relevant for Netflix.

In my case, Tanix TX5 Max provides similar speed in my common room as my Huawei P20 (2x2 AC) and my laptop (2x2 AC) at around 230-270Mbps. The speed is also similar to my D-Link power line adapter (AV2000 gigabit).

Only my TP-Link RE350 Range Extender (measured from the gigabit port) and my TP-Link AC1900 USB adapter (with old Windows 10 desktop) provides faster speed at around 300-380Mbps at the same location.

I have a decent but aging 5 year old Linksys WRT1900AC router (version 1) in the living room.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Repost, from my page 94 posts, with some updates.

So Mi Box S is the top choice for sub-S$100. And Nvidia Shield TV is the way to go if you want the best performance and best gaming experiences for an Android TV Box (no point to compare with latest XBox, PlayStation or Switch or PC Gaming though).

Then why I still recommend other TV boxes sometimes?

1) If you need some special requirements, like Video Recording, then you may want to look at Zidoo with HDMI input.

If you really want a hybrid box with DVB-T2 Tuner built-in, then you may want to look at Mecool Kiii Pro and Magicsee C400. If you want best blue-ray rip file playing device, you may need to look at Zidoo X9S/Z9S/X10/etc, Egreat, Himedia Q10 Pro, with HDD interface and BD menu support.

2) If you are not relying on streaming service like Netflix, or apps like Toggle, Starhub Go and Viu Premium which work best with Chromecast, or TVB Anywhere+, or SingTel Cast, then you can consider boxes with better hardware specifications (CPU, RAM, Storage, USB ports, Ethernet ports) than Mi Box S.

For example, you are using Kodi and other streaming apps (for examples various Chinese streaming apps for VOD and Live TV), then boxes like those with the S905X2 CPU (eg, Tanix TX5 Max and Beelink GT1 Mini) or S912 CPU (older Minix NEO U9-H is a popular example).

3) If you really have budget constraint to below S$50, then you can consider low cost S905W based box like Tanix TX3 Mini 2GB/16GB and Tanix TX3 Max, around S$40-50. The WiFi performance is not good though.

Tanix TX6 is a pretty decent low cost device which has much higher performance than Tanix TX3 Max and TX3 Mini, the only problem is that it has a bit of thermal problem which can be easily sorted out with a USB cooling fan blowing wind from the side (no cooling ventilation holes from the bottom unfortunately). If you are willing to use a fan, it can be recommended as well.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Repost with updates.

Just a list of popular current generic boxes

Amlogic CPU
1. S905X2 CPU
Beelink GT1 Mini (recommended)
Tanix TX5 Max (recommended)
Mecool KM9
Mecool KM9 Pro/KM3, Android TV OS
H96 Max X2
X96 Max
T95Q
A95X Max

S905Y2 variant
X96S TV stick
A95X Plus S905Y2

2. S912
Minix NEO U9-H
Beelink GT1-A Android TV OS
Berlin GT1 Ultimate
Tanix TX92
Tanix TX9 Pro
Mecool M8S Pro L Android TV OS
H96 Pro Plus

Magicsee C400 Hybrid box with DVB-T2 Tuner
Mecool Kiii Pro Hybrid box with DVB-T2 Tuner

3. S905X
Mi Box S (Strongly recommended)
Mecool KM8 Android TV OS
Magicsee N5
Evpad Plus

S905D variant
Magicsee C300 hybrid box with DVB-T2 Tuner
Mecool Kii Pro hybrid box with DVB-T2 Tuner
Mecool Ki Plus hybrid box with DVB-T2 Tuner

S905L
Used in China version of Mi Box 4 and 4C. Avoid these boxes.

4. S905W
Tanix TX3 Max (recommended low budget)
Tanix TX3 Mini (recommended low budget)
Mecool M8S Pro W Android TV OS
X96 Mini
MXQ Pro S905W version (got RK3229 version as well)

Rockchip CPU
1. RK3399, not recommended, expensive
Magicsee N6 Max
H96 Max RK3399
X99

2. RK3328, avoid Android 9 version now.

Tanix TX28, not supported by Tanix website, not cheap, not recommended
H96 Max Plus/H2
A5X Max
MXR Pro RK3328
MX10
Sunvell T9
Z28

3. RK3229, not recommended, buy S905W based Box better

Tania TX2
Scision V88
Sunvell R69 RK3229 (got H3 version as well), I have this box, usable but not good.
MXQ Pro RK3229 ( got S905W version as well)

Allwinner
1.H6, not recommended
Tanix TX6: not recommended because Android 9 is not mature. Also got Thermal issues. If you do not mind using a fan it is okay.

Zidoo X6, expensive
Eachlink H6 Mini
Sunvell T95 Max

Ubox Gen 5/6 (only 1GB RAM)
Evpad 3,3S,3Max (2GB RAM)

2. H5, seldom used in TV box

3. H3, old box only. Avoid them.
Sunvell R69 H3 is the only recent box.
Old Ubox Gen 2, Gen 3 and Gen 4.
EVpad old version as well.

Last edited:

Shawncck

Reaction score
Starhub Go is only compatible with PC and Mobile phone.
https://www.starhub.com/personal/support/services-and-plans/starhub-go/about.html

The only known Android TV box to support Starhub Go directly is Starhub Go Streaming Box.

But it does support Chromecast, so you can cast from phone through Chromecast dongles or official Android TV OS device like Sony/Sharp Android TV, Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV.

My h96max x2 work for starhub go... but not singtel tv go.... I dunno what is wrong w singtel tv go....

Shawncck

Reaction score
Toggle device compatibility list
https://www.toggle.sg/en/faq

Samsung, LG smart TV and Apple TV are supported. Chromecast dongles are also supported.

You will not be able to install Toggle on Android TV OS device. Report of Toggle's support of the Chromecast function inside Mi Box S is mixed. Some people reported issues. Need more inputs on using Toggle with the built-in Chromecast function of Android TV OS device.

Toggle i tot is working w most android box.... I have 3 android box and they all work wo problem w toggle.... My max x2 work too w toggle.... Only Singtel tv go giving me headache... If cant solve then have to get mi box

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Toggle i tot is working w most android box.... I have 3 android box and they all work wo problem w toggle.... My max x2 work too w toggle.... Only Singtel tv go giving me headache... If cant solve then have to get mi box

Yes both Toggle and Starhub Go work on most of my boxes. But it is said that they may detect root and blacklist your box.

As for SingTel TV Go and SingTel Cast, none of my boxes work. Not so sure if there are any boxes running mobile version of Android work with them or not. If there is a chance, then probably higher end unrooted boxes like Minix NEO-U9-H might be the one.

In the end, it is just easier to get a Mi Box S.

Shawncck

Reaction score
Yes both Toggle and Starhub Go work on most of my boxes. But it is said that they may detect root and blacklist your box.

As for SingTel TV Go and SingTel Cast, none of my boxes work. Not so sure if there are any boxes running mobile version of Android work with them or not. If there is a chance, then probably higher end unrooted boxes like Minix NEO-U9-H might be the one.

In the end, it is just easier to get a Mi Box S.

Problem here is mi box s is a box w lousy spec.... Beside google certify... this box is expensive w lousy spec... I really no wish to buy such a box just for the singtel tv go.... Mi Box S is not worth for anyone to buy seriously.... I hope someone here can tell me which other box beside this mi box can work for Singtel tv go...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.